• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 1,291 Views, 10 Comments

Equestria & The Heroes of Ether: A Pathfinder Adventure - SoonToBeWriterBrony



Magic. Ether. What-ch-ma-call-it. It has many names yet in each world even in worlds where magic doesn't exist there is always a Titan of Ether. And each of these Titans had their own heroes to save their world if it was needed to be saved....

  • ...
5
 10
 1,291

Chapter 2: Gates and Rooms, Council and Dreams

Hours ticked by as the lone guard waited at the gate to Canterlot, cursing that he now has to do a double shift. Granted he shouldn't have gotten into a drinking contest with his Sergent but at the time it was a good idea, then again anything seems like a good idea when you already had a few drinks in you.

Yawning, he stood at attention scanning the surrounding for any ponies but he would assume that no pony would be out this late at night. He was only half right. There a large rat as big as he was had wandered out of the nearby hill, moving fast across the road. At first he had to rub his eyes for he couldn't believe what he was seeing. A rat, that was unusually big, big enough to be able to take down a pony without any problem. But it was the thing which followed that stuck fear in his heart.

A mare walked out them the nearby hill, her back hooves not touching the ground, her head shrewd is an odd angle as if something was keeping her afloat. Behind it various forms of undead were following, some almost having no meat left on it, others seemed to be slightly devoured. All approaching Canterlot on his shift. Leaving him to face the hoard of undead alone. It was then he woke up.

Private Forewarn Dreams looked up from his post to see his commander looking down on him.

"Sleeping on the job again Fore?"

"Sorry Commander Sure Shot. Been having the same bad dream for a while now. I can't seem to get any sleep."

"Maybe you better go take it up with Princess Luna, Fore. I can't keep you here if this keeps happening."

"Aye sir," said the private as he got up," I'll go see her now."

The old private got up from his post near the airship yard and walked towards the castle, the old pegasus almost reaching retirement age. Sure Shot looked towards his stepfather and wondered why he never received a promotion. After all, he had fought many battles and always came back alive. His birth father was Forewarn Dream's best friend and when he had died in the line of duty, Forewarn took him and his mother into his household.

Sure Shot looked towards his stepfather and muttered," Stubborn old fool, I really do hope it is nothing."

*****

Gold Honor was carrying Lady Shift Note nearing the end of the journey, as the three was about to arrive in Lower Canterlot. It seemed from the way they were heading they would arrive under Canterlot Castle which would mean Terry couldn't hide himself before meeting with the Princesses. He was also informed that it was within the Lower Canterlot region where Terry and Gold Honor could contact the local Adventurer's Guilds such as the famous, White Hall Guild and the more deceitful (and privately funded) Prestige Blue Guild.

Terry wondered as he walked beside his partner, thinking of what was the next step. After all the only Intel given to Terry was that there are non-native monsters popping up all over Equestira. It could be possible something or rather someone is encouraging the appearance. But the real head-scratcher is how to go about with the problem. Should he ally with the current adventurer guilds or should he and Gold tackle them alone.

Heck, Shift Note herself was just coming back from an investigation into the recent grave robbing cases where some graves (particularly graves which the pony in question had died tragically or by their own hooves) had been dug up and their contents missing. Shift Note had recently traveled from Manehatten which she decided to take the scenic route home. The result while not excellent as she was almost robbed but was not completely disastrous because she found Gold and himself. Maybe should things need be, Terry could find DIscord and ask for additional reinforcement.

"Ah at last, gentlecolt.. and gentlefox, I present to you, Lower Canterlot!"

Before the three was a large white marble wall with a number of guards patrolling, the gate which consisted of two heavy wooden doors and two iron bar gates, stood open with guard checking each visitor and merchant going in and out of Lower Canterlot. Shift Note urged the two to follow her lead as she hopped off Gold Honor's back.

"Good Afternoon gentlecolts, I, Lady Shift Note of the House of Unicorns have returned. May I present two companions which I have met-

"Goldy? Is that you?" asked one of the guards," By Celestia's Beard. Your huge now! Where have you been?"

"Hey Shell Shock, I'll explain later but for now me and my partner here are following Lady Swift Note."

"And your partner is...? I mean it definitely is not Equestrian."

"HE," butted Shift Note," Is the Honorable Samurai from the Fox Clan, Terry Chang. Either way, we wish to enter into Upper Canterlot and would prefer and escort if you would please?"

"I can introduce myself you know?"

"Oh hush."

"Got to check with the Captain first, milady." answered the other guard on duty," Although I need to ask why do you,Mr Chang, want to go to Upper Canterlot? Unless you work for Lady Note here, you technically are not allowed to go in... ah as battle ready as you are."

"Well, attire aside, I need to converse with the Princesses about the recent rise of monsters. I was sent for that particular purpose you see."

"Very well, I'll have Private Shell Shock here escort you to Lady Note's residence here in Lower Canterlot and once we get word from the higher ups We'll let you know."

"...I though you said you can get us in Swifty," whispered Terry," Plus I though nobles stayed in the Upper part of Canterlot?"

"I have an apartment here in Lower Canterlot because its easier than returning to Upper Canterlot whenever I return from an assignment. Its more like a place to crash before going up."

Nodding, Terry and the rest of the party followed Private Shell Shock though the gates and into Lower Canterlot, where the pony skill and heart mattered above their blood.

**Five Hours Later**

"Whats taking so long?!" shouted Swift Note," You think those dumb asses read my report the Council of Nobles would at LEAST let us into Upper Canterlot! Its almost dinner already and we are still stuck down here!"

"C-Calm down milady," assured Gold Honor," Maybe there are reviewing your report much more closer than usual? After all as you say your investigations onto the grave-robbing not gone anywhere."

"Still, at least the could at TELL us so we can get things done rather than just sit here."

"I have to agree with Swifty here Gold, its taking to long."

"Lady Swift Note," said a voice from the outside of the apartment door," This is Private Shell Shock, I got a summon for ya!"

"At last," exclaimed Swift Note as she used her magic to open the door," So can we go up into Upper Canterlot?"

"Er no milady," answered Shell Shock," Apparently the Council of Nobles will be having a meeting down at the Prestige Blue Guild. And all of you have been summoned to attend."

"WHAT?! Damn that BlueBlood! What does he want now?! He has no right to-"

"And the meeting is in five minutes."

"FUCK YOU BLUEBLOOD!"

*****

"Lady Swift Note," said Lord Noble Path BlueBlood as he sat behind his podium and flanked by most (not all) of the nobles and his son Prince True Way BlueBlood," While your report is extensive to say the least and is well written, I must say your investigations is a waste of royal funds."

"My lord," sneered Swift Note," The order for the investigation came directly from the Royal Princesses office. Which as YOU of all ponies know is second only to a direct order from the princesses themselves. And while I would usually bypass you and the rest of the council and personally deliver my report to their majesties office, I also gave the council courtesy of providing the report to the Council Of Nobles as well. This is because I have obtain information by the two gentlecolts behind me. They have grave news for the princesses themselves and if it were not because of your order that those of non-noble birth MUST have permission to enter Upper Canter-"

"Indeed which is why I am NOT allowing your entourage into the the Upper Crust. This is currently troubling times with the sudden rise of unusual monster-"

"Which is why I MUST be allowed to bring these two heroes to the Princesses IMMEDIATELY! For they posses some information about the growing threat and are proposing to deal with IT."

At this revelation the council started to murmur among themselves before Lord BlueBlood called for order," Even IF these two have any information, I am not going to allow some lowborn ruffian into Upper-"

"Father please," shouted Prince Blueblood," I'm sure despite their status and er species, no offense, this is to important to not-"

"Silence! I will NOT have my own son-"

"Won't let your own son do what, Lord Noble Path?" said an Alicorn who just entered the room," I was not informed that the Council was having a meeting especially in Lower Canterlot."

Princess Twilight walked into the room flanked by her secretary Scribbles, her assistant Spike and her personal guard Agito," If I'm not mistaken any major decisions which concerns the entirety of Equestria requires the presence of at least ONE of the Princesses."

Princess Twilight walked toward Lord BlueBlood and the Council," Before We address Lady Swift Note and her two adventures, I would like to bring up a few things before the Council, hopefully we can get these issues settled today."

In which she ripped them a new one.

*****

Private Forewarn Dream entered Princess Luna's chamber to see the lunar princess sipping a cup of coffee, smiling as she said sweet nothings about the creation of coffee. She turned to see the old pegasus and he bowed low.

"Prey tell what brings thee here my little pony? For it is unusual for we to see anypony before we are proper and in court."

"Sorry to bother you Princess Luna, but I do need your help. I am Forewarn Dream, a guard that has served Equestria for many, many years. I have survived dangerous missions and generally come out unscarred thanks to my unique ability. For you see for one reason or another, I get these... premonitions which tell me the future though my dreams. Most of which Involve me somehow. I have used this untrained skill to keep me and those I love alive although it has failed me at times. For the pass few nights I've been having the most disturbing dream of monsters and the undead. Each one showing that Canterlot being invaded by these monsters."

"Do thee wish these nightmares away?" asked Princess Luna

"No your highness, rather I seem to wake up before something happens. It is as if there is another part of my dream which just before I arrive at that point, I wake up."

"Ah so you wish for me to acompany thee and help thee. Very well. If thee wish we shall induce thee to sleep and we can confront thy nightmares immediately."

"Yes Princess Luna and I thank you."

*****

Private Forewarn was staring at the sight that was before him and Princess Luna, both with fear in their eyes. AS Forewarn explained to Luna before they dove in, he always said there was usually one group of invaders. This time they were watching multiple groups of invaders each different be they undead, construct, daemon, or horror. However their destinations was the same, Canterlot. Each group had a Bearer of Harmony strapped to their banners in various states of injury, one of which was dead. While Twilight and Rainbow Dash were not accounted for brought relief to Luna, to see poor rarity without her horn and legs... and the remains of Applejack...

However suddenly the dream shifted. Now next to them was a strange bipedal thing, with eyes that glowed with the emptyness of the void. It turned and looked towards the two.

"So what do you think? Horrible isn't it?"

"Is this your doing?" asked Princess Luna.

"In the words of Big Macintosh, eeenope," answered the creature," In fact, I have already sent one of the few how can stop this all from happening."

"Who are thee?"

"The question is not the who but the what. And I am the Titan of Ether. For your world and mine. Anyway shall we get to the matter at hand or should I say hoof?"

"Indeed. What pray tell is going on?"

"Something or someone is influencing this world with creatures and monsters that do not belong. See that female daemon with the chain? That is a Lady of the Chains, a daemon from Hell itself. Which is not the same as your Tartarus. That thing over there is called well an Elder Thing. You get the general idea do you not Lu? So in my way to counter the bloody thing, I brought a few adventurers who are experience in this sort of thing."

The dream shifter to one where is mostly the same save for all the bearers standing beside Luna and Forewarn. Waiting bellow was an image of Forewarn which surprised him. Flanking him was the unicorn noble which his stepson have been pining for, a strange bipedaled fox in armor and armed to the teeth, a Saddle Arabian in heavy armor and a few more strange bipedaled creatures in shadows. The group readied their arms and charged at the hoard of monsters and wadded though them as if their were just wading though a swamp with effort. Stiking each monster in the way while on the Canterlot Wall arrows, spells and spears rained from the sky. Prince True Way BlueBlood could be seen giving orders to the troops and coordinating between the solders and the adventures. However, the dream faded there and then, leaving the three in darkness save for the light the Titan conjured.

"What happens after that is a mystery even to me. But needless to say its a better outcome than what it was previously isn't it?"

"We thank thee for thy intervention but pray tell why don't thee join the fray?"

"I'm a Titan. There are rules I have to follow and believe me I don't like using human or pony lives like their chest pieces."

"I see."

"But fear not, my adventurers can handle it. Even if they do seems a little crazy. Now its time to go."

At that Luna found herself back in the real world and Foreward Dream was waking up. Once they looked into each others eyes, they rushed off to find Celestia.

*****

"... and that concludes the council for today I think." concluded Princess Twilight as the council of nobles remains in shambles. A few had permanent looks of honor and dismay while some sniggered at Lord BlueBlood expression which was caught somewhere between Complete Rage and Utter Helplessness." Now let us hear what Lady Swift Note has to say shall we?"

"Indeed Princess Twilight, We seek an audience with you princess. We may have some knowledge about the sudden rise in monsters."

"Indeed," said Terry," I know some of these monsters and if you look closely Princess, I am more equip to deal with them. Me and my partner Gold Honor here, are here to help get to the bottom of things as it were."

"What else can you tel us?"

"We can't say anything more in... present company. Shall we adjourn to Celestia's office?"

"Yes lets. It saves us the trouble to repeating ourselves."

Author's Note:

Well here you go folks, the next chapter. I'll try to keep all of my fics to a minimum schedule of once a month but as always I'll post whenever I finish a chapter. Incidentally, this is the first fic of the month. :yay:

Well this is a first time which i don't use Prince BlueBlood as my personal whipping boy and actually give him a more noble character. Mind you I don't like to think that BlueBlood is his name here but more of their house (if you ask properly Swift Notes full name is Lady Swift Note of the House of Unicorns or Lady Swift Note Unicorn) so I gave Prince Blueblood his proper birth name. That being said and since there are multiple version of Equestria.... He may become my whipping bow again XD.

Also I would like some feedback on an idea I'm in the middle of writing: I am currently writing in the background (as in I don't know should I finish a fic first or just post it) a prequel to my entire Equestria & the Heroes of Ether stories. This prequel will focus on Kevin as he become earths Titan of Ether and why he is also the titan for multiple Equestria as well. Let me know and well see if I go from maintain two fics at a time or advance to three XD.

Quick shout out to Tarynsgate who owns Scribbles. Agito is mine though XD. SELF INSERT FOR THE WIN!

Until Next Time,
HENSHIN!