• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 3,960 Views, 137 Comments

True Magic - CodeMonkey



A lone mare discovers the untold secrets of true magic.

  • ...
8
 137
 3,960

Chapter 29 - Destiny

Chapter 29 – Destiny

Trixie waded through the encompassing darkness that seemed to be as endless as the night sky. She only wished that there were some kind of luminous markers to guide her through it but the only company she had were her own echoing hoofsteps and her silent breaths. It was unclear where she was going or what was pulling her deeper into this unknown void, but she was compelled to blindly obey the unspoken call.

‘What is this place?’ she thought as her mind cleared enough to think straight. ‘Why…why can't I stop walking?’

“Hello?” Trixie called, her voice breaking free of whatever had caged her speech. She managed to move her eyes, but wasn’t able to see anything. “Is anyone there?”

A light suddenly bloomed in the darkness ahead like a beacon.

“Uh, hello? Is…?”

The light erratically danced around at the sound of her voice, getting progressively bigger. Her trance-like march came to an immediate stop when she felt an icy object cover her mouth.

The light was quickly brought up to her face, blinding her as she shielded herself.

“Sssshhhh,” a voice whispered, “guests have to remain quiet when entering the theater.”

“And who are you?” her muffled words emanated, trying to see the stranger through squinted eyes. Swatting the chilly object from her face caused the light to move away, and she rubbed her eyes before taking another look at the figure.

Whoever she’d expected, it hadn’t been the one before her now. Wingless, the pony creature floated a few feet off the ground, staring at her with a familiar set of hollow, grey eyes.

“Kn—Knickknack? What are you–?”

“Sssshhhh,” the phantom pony stressed with a hoof in front of his mouth as his red, pillbox hat fell over his eyes. Sliding it back onto his head, Trixie could see that he also wore a red coat, giving the appearance of an usher.

“What are you staring at? Come on, come on,” he murmured, zipping behind her and waving her on with his flashlight. “We’re going to be in big trouble if all wizardy types aren’t in their seats. Besides, you don’t want to miss the show, do you?”

“Show?”

Knickknack’s deceptively solid hooves pressed against her flank, pushing her forward at an alarming rate until the darkness came to a abrupt stop as she practically flew through a set of swinging doors hidden in the void. Her hooves slid across a long, red carpet before coming to a stop somewhere new.

The ‘usher’ had disappeared but she quickly refocused and noticed that she had caught the attention of a number of masked ponies shrouded in black robes as they sat in rows of stair-like seats. Other sorcerers paid her no mind, focused as they were on the large stage at the front of the room. The muted roaring of chatter emanated from all around that was just loud enough to break any feelings of silence.

“Well, come on,” Knickknack’s whispering voice came as, from out of nowhere, he flew down, hovering just above her. “This way. Quickly, quickly, please.” He signaled for her to follow him down the aisle, towards the stage.

She passed row after row of seats that were like waves of black and maroon colored water frozen in time, each packed with similar, masked ponies. Trixie noted that the room was much larger than she’d thought as she now noticed balconies reaching far overhead which, as far as she could see, were completely filled. Nearly the entire room was engulfed in a blanket of darkness save for the bright spotlight that illuminated the stage and the mysterious object that sat upon it.

A large, bronzed hourglass stood in the center of the stage, towering over the silhouetted audience. Grains of crimson sand filled the near invisible glass, most of which remained trapped in the top, spherical half, trickling through the narrow neck in the center like blood and down to the shimmering dune that they created in the mirrored half below. Dragon and gargoyle-like figures adorned the frame, holding the piece together with coiling tails interlocking in the center, squeezing portions of bronze between their binds.

“Hey, lookie loo,” Knickknack’s hushed voice came again, tapping her on the head with his torch. Looking up to him, he simply pointed at an empty seat in the center of the front row where a number of unveiled ponies sat, chattering away amongst themselves. “Your seat. Hurry, it's going to begin any minute. Go, go, go.”

Trixie strolled over and took her seat without argument, wondering what this show was and why exactly they were all here. Looking about, she noticed that all the ponies in her row wore the same wicker necklace as her and that the others behind her hid their faces behind masks of matching regal design and silver color. The masks only covered part of their face mostly concealing just their eyes. All of their clothes were the same black shroud that covered the rest of their features. She didn’t recognize a single one, not even their magic was detectable.

The silent mumbling of the guests quickly died down, replaced by hollow hoofsteps that drew her attention back to the stage. Atop the platform, standing before the hourglass was a pony shrouded in black, like the others but disguised with a gold mask rather than a silver one. A pearl white horn poked out from beneath the hood as the mysterious pony trotted up to the edge of the stage.

“Fillies and Gentlecolts, wizards and witches alike,” the pony announced in a polished, feminine voice. “Welcome all, new and old, to the Theater of Illusions on this evening of dark enchantment. Tonight is a night of magic, a night of wonder, a night of mystery, and, for a few, the beginning of your lives as one of us.”

The mare spoke with such confidence and a refined tongue as she gallivanted across the stage. Trixie could’ve sworn she knew that sophisticated voice from somewhere, but where?

“But before the Fates can reveal their work, let us revel in the night’s gifts that have been bestowed upon us. Many mages here tonight are eager to show their abilities and for you soon to be apprentices, may this both entertain and enlighten your minds.”

The mare gave a dainty bow before disappearing behind the red curtains as the crowd gave subtle applause. The lights dimmed, blanketing the room and the stage with a foreboding darkness as silence took hold of the audience. Before long, a spotlight struck the stage, highlighting the center of the curtain.

Eerie music started to play, a rhythmic, dark undertone like something out of a sinister cabernet performance. The haunting melody parted the curtains allowing spectral ponies to dance onto the stage, hoof in hoof and spinning in a waltz-like fashion.

The couples wore posh attire; mares in lacy dresses, and stallions in bowties and tuxedos, all from a bygone era. They appeared as if they were in a trance, moving like the audience wasn’t there. Halfway across the stage, the dancing couples began to float, rising high into the air as they continued to move towards the crowd.

Following the ghosts that now swayed above the spectators was an unmasked stallion, casually strolling out and holding a wand in his hoof high into the air. His russet mane swayed as he flicked his wand causing the apparitions to shift movements as they all spun overhead.

Trixie was in awe at the performance. She had never seen such magic before and used in such an extravagant way. Really, she shouldn’t be surprised, but it couldn’t be helped, so different was this from the magic she had seen the Circle show off already.

For the next hour or so, mages would appear on stage, introduce themselves, and display their act before vanishing to allow the next sorcerer to perform, each new talent as astonishing as the last.

The magicians that performed came in all kinds, each different and unique in more ways than just their magic. One appeared to be a lounge singer, with her flamboyant feathered dress, who summoned zombies to play music as she sang. While another was of the Ordo Fatorum, by the look of her battle-ready attire, as she marched onto stage and conjured a massive ogre-like beast unlike any she had seen; commanding it as if the creature was an extension of her own consciousness.

As each mage came and went, the amount of red sand at the bottom of the hourglass grew until there were but a few grains left still seeping down.

When the last mage took their final bow and the audience grew quiet once again, the masked mare appeared onstage, materializing out of the shadows. She strolled to the front of the stage as she levitated the large hourglass next to her, bringing it forward and setting it down so all could see.

“We of the Order of the Crimson Circle pray you sorcerers and future wizards and witches have enjoyed the performances here tonight and have seen your own, future potential. But now as the night grows dark and the magic hour approaches, we must prepare to face our destinies and walk the path defined for us. May you all follow your heart's desire and find your way to our side in the morning’s light.” The mare stepped away, presenting the crimson hourglass as it took center stage.

Trixie watched closely as the final specks fell through the narrow neck to join their brethren at the bottom. When the last grain fell, Trixie had difficulty thinking or focusing on anything else. The whole show had been extraordinary and she was sure the finale would be a showstopper. She hated to admit it, but she could never pull off what she had seen and doubted that even the shows at Las Pegasus could top it.

She waited, expecting something grand and extravagant, but as the moments passed, her anticipation died down, and she began to wonder if anything would happen at all. Still looking at the old timepiece with a frown, she slouched in her chair and let out a heavy sigh that was quiet enough so as not to be heard by any around her as she propped her head up with a hoof that rested on the arm of the chair.

‘Is something supposed to happen?’ she thought. ‘Did something go wrong?’

Leaning over to the seat next to her, Trixie whispered, “Hey, what’s supposed…?”

She stopped when she finally looked over and saw that no pony was there. In fact, no pony was in the next seat over either or in the one on the other side of her. The whole row was filled with empty seats. Turning in her seat, she looked around and saw that the entire theater was empty, like everypony had been swallowed up by the encroaching darkness. The balconies were deserted and it even appeared as if the back of the theater was gone the blackness hunched over the chairs.

The feeling of eyes drilling into her figure put her on edge. Her senses picked up as she looked for any sign of life. The darkness seemed to move, slithering its way towards her before retreating back into the black void the moment she glanced in its direction.

Shifting in her chair, she looked back at the stage where the last remnants of light still lingered. The hourglass had vanished, transformed instead into a towering, slender door that stood at attention behind the parting curtains. The door remained dead quiet as it waited, seemingly staring at her, beckoning her to approach. Not wishing to remain here any longer, Trixie slowly left her seat and got up on stage, unsure of what might happen should she make any sudden moves.

As she approached, the door silently opened similar to the one that had transported her to this place, revealing a set of stairs as if begging her to come inside. Trixie craned her neck to peer around the frame, but, unsurprisingly, only darkness and the rest of the stage lay beyond. The door was no thicker than a table leg, but it was enough to contain the magic that held the new room before her. She dared not look back, feeling a foreboding sensation behind her, as she passed through the door and stepped onto the black marble staircase.

She followed the steps down a dark twisting passage with smooth, black stone walls to match the floor. As hard as it was, she could still see somehow with an unnatural, light bringing everything into focus. The air was still, with only the sound of her hooves echoing throughout the corridor. She got goose bumps from the sharp chill that blanketed the air, cutting through her like a knife. Trixie's eyes darted around every corner as her ears turned and flicked, attempting to hear anything new. The small passageway wasn't helping, feeling as if the walls were closing in on her.

Just when it seemed as if the dark twisting passage would go on forever, the end came into view. Two grand doors stood guard at the bottom of the staircase illuminated by torch lights on either side. The surface of the door appeared to be made of some kind of stone different from the walls and floor, engraved with black designs of dragons, skeletons, and other gothic imagery and a large eye chiseled at the top. As she stepped off the final step the doors slid into the walls, their thick form grinding against the floor.

Beyond the door, the claustrophobic corridor opened up into a large chamber partially illuminated by glowing symbols that surrounded a large crimson circle on the stone floor. The rest of the room would've been seemingly nonexistent if not for the strange inscriptions that adorned the far walls, giving some shape to the room. Within the circle, a seven-pointed star glowed like embers in a fire as she drew close.

Trixie felt compelled to enter the center of the circle as she walked towards it. The moment she set hoof in the center of the symmetrical shape, the strange symbol, the large circle, and all the inscriptions and symbols around her briefly brightened, blinding her for a moment before diming once more. The light revealed masked figures cloaked in black as they silently stepped onto the perimeter of a new, larger circle that surrounded the first with more inscriptions lining up between the shrouded mages. In the same manner as the others, the masked mare from the theater stage stood before her, giving her a small, coy smile.

“Are you ready?” the mare asked.

“For what?” Trixie replied.

“Why, to take your rightful place among us, of course,” the mare said with a chuckle. “Now, I'll ask again, are you ready?”

Trixie was unsure what this rite included and couldn't help fidgeting in place as her gaze flitted around the room. Despite her concerns, she looked back at the mare and nodded, swallowing her uncertainty and preparing for whatever may come.

Orbs of light started to rise from the red circle as red symbols appeared along the star’s edges. The mare held out her hoof as if to ask for something.

“Your amulet, if you please,” the mare said.

Looking down at the wicker circle around her neck, she removed it and placed it in the unicorn’s hooves with her magic.

“Do you accept the power that has been instilled upon you by forces of the beyond and unknown?” the masked mare asked, still holding the trinket in front of her. “Do you willingly open your heart, mind, body, and soul to the true forces of the arcane?”

“I do,” Trixie said, not fully understanding what she was agreeing to.

“Then extend your hoof.”

Trixie did so and the mare lowered the amulet so it was below Trixie’s hoof. A long, straight edged blade materialized from the dark into the mare’s free hoof. Trixie eyed the ebony hilted blade, guessing what it was going to be used for as her heartbeat hastened. The mare released the woven ring and took hold of Trixie’s hoof as the ring was suspended in place, unbound by any visible force. Shutting her eyes, Trixie clenched her teeth as she waited for the mare to draw blood.

“Is this necessary,” Trixie muttered, bracing for the sting.

Although, rather than a cut, something cold forced its way into her chest. Trixie felt a hard pressure but no pain. The sudden strike caught her off guard as her mind raced to explain what just happened. Opening her eyes, she stared down and saw the blade lodged in her chest with the mare still holding tightly onto it. Wide eyed, she looked back at the mare who hadn’t moved or altered her demure expression.

Twisting the blade, the mare yanked it out of her and, instead of blood, a wispy strand of light clung to the metal. The strand was no thicker than a piece of string as it swayed in the still air. It shone like starlight and was ethereal in nature which made it difficult to see as the mare pulled it towards Trixie’s hoof wrapping it around her foreleg.

“A word is as easy to make as it is to break, but the soul is eternal,” the mare said as she brought Trixie’s hoof down to touch the levitating ring. Trixie was speechless as the strand disappeared, transferring its glow to the amulet. The mare released her hoof, allowing her to put it back to the floor as Trixie watched the ring glow a subtle shade of blue.

The mare took the ring and held it over her head and started to chant as the others joined in, all speaking the strange language of the Order in unison.

“Puluerem de montibus aurum rubiginem contrahens, et arenam maris, cinis cinerem et pulverem humo iterum versetur aeterna,” they all spoke. They repeated the chant again and again as the wooden ring began to pulsate red with every recitation. “Puluerem de montibus aurum rubiginem contrahens, et arenam maris, cinis cinerem et pulverem humo iterum versetur aeterna.” The wicker ring turned black before melting into what looked like tar. Amorphous, it lay in her hooves, inactive. In a moment, it sprang to life, reforming into a new, familiar shape; the shape of a ring.

As the chanting came to a stop, the unicorn presented Trixie with the darkened object while it was still moving, twisting and morphing as if it were alive and beating like a heart. In an instant, the massless form underwent a final, dramatic pulsation, sprouting geometric lines of the tar-like goop within the circlet before it solidified into gold.

Trixie recognized the look of the trinket as the same that Magus and the other mages in the party had. The newly formed medallion was lifted by a white aura that sprang from the unicorn’s horn as she placed it around Trixie's neck. The object was surprisingly light weight, she barely noticed it was on save for an energy that emanated from it.

“You’ve been recognized by the Fates,” the mare said. “You’ve taken your rightful place amongst us.” The ponies around them kneeled to her, bowing their heads in a show of respect.

“So, what happens now?” Trixie asked, eyebrows pulled together. Looking at the mare’s face, she knew the answer. “It's time for me choose a master, isn't it?”

The mare nodded in reply. The equines that were around them returned to the darkness, vanishing before her eyes with the many symbols beyond the circle going with them. The mare rested a hoof on Trixie's unharmed chest.

Trixie could feel a strange sensation building as an aura surrounded her. It lasted for a second until the unicorn pulled her hoof away, releasing a wave of energy that expanded in all directions before fading into the dark. Trixie didn’t feel anything, save for the brief absence of energy. No more than a second later, from out of nowhere, another smaller group of masked, shrouded ponies surrounded them, standing between the inner and outer ring.

Glancing around at them, Trixie could not see their faces behind their masks nor could she retrieve any information about them that set them apart, aside from the separate energy signatures that radiated from them. They all stood perfectly still, seemingly not even bothering to breathe as they waited.

“Who are they?” Trixie asked, still wildly inspecting them.

“They are your potential masters,” the mare explained. “They all share some quality with you. All of which can help you. Look among them, understand their potential and choose the one who leads you down the path of the arcane.”

“I can choose anyone?”

“Anypony in this room. Myself being the only exception.” Trixie glanced back at the mare. “Choose carefully,” the mare said when Trixie turned to face them. “Whoever you choose will be bound to you.”

Trixie approached and walked among them, sensing their power and something else that she couldn’t put her hoof on. It was difficult to describe, but, somehow, she could sense their emotions and personality as well. It was like she knew everything she needed to know the moment she drew close. Their powers all felt different with somepony’s magic stronger than another's and others who had an erratic flow of energy while another had more control. She didn't know how, but, she could almost see into them and understand what they did and what they stood for.

One was an alchemist, the next an enchanter; there was even one who was a warlock of some kind. Trixie envisioned her future success in different ways as she observed each. She could be the next great showpony, like she always wanted, flinging spells and performing seemingly impossible tricks that would cause all ponies to bow to her greatness. But why stop there? She could be the greatest sorceress in all of Equestria. Ponies from all over would seek her consul and praise her name.

But as the possibilities of what she could do and what she could achieve grew, Trixie couldn't help but feel that none were right for her. There was always something off about each one, though she couldn’t identify what. For each mismatched mage she looked at, strangely, she kept thinking of Magus.

As she thought this, something dug at the back of her mind and pulled at her very being, like she was anchored to something nearby. Even as she continued to inspect the other mages, the nagging sensation continued. It was so much so that she started to dwell on it rather than pay attention to anything else in order to understand what it was. But, as she drifted to the last sorcerer in the lineup, she realized what it was.

‘It couldn’t be,’ she thought as the improbable idea came to mind.

Trixie looked back at the mare, with wide eyes and an enlightened mind. The pieces to the puzzling question coming together.

“I can choose anypony in this room? Anypony at all?”

“Save for myself, yes.”

“May I choose them by name?”

The mare chuckled quietly as her smile grew.

“If you know who it is and you know that they are in this room, then please, announce them.”

Trixie checked the power again, wanting to be sure that she was right. She glanced down at the floor before looking back at her, knowing the name she would speak.

“Magus. I choose the pyromancer and Archmage Magus.”

In that instant, the ponies that encircled them vanished into wisps of smoke riding the wind that suddenly whirled around the room before vanishing. They were alone for a moment before a white light bloomed at the far side of the room, spotlighting the door that Trixie had entered from. One side of the large double door was cracked open just enough for a hooded, masked figure to poke their head out.

The mage was illuminated, practically glowing as he froze in place.

Trixie turned and stared at the unknown mage, confident that she made the right guess of who it was.

“Step forward,” the mare said, behaving as if she hadn’t noticed the stranger.

The mage left the cover of the doorway and stepped towards them, entering the circle before stopping in front of Trixie and the mare. The mage turned to face Trixie with the mare standing between them. She could feel a strong connection with sorcerer standing before her, feeling the same familiar energy that she had grown accustomed to.

“Remove your mask, if you would,” the mare instructed.

The mage didn't move but the mask vanished into a cloud of black smoke. As it dissipated, it revealed the cold, crimson eyes and silver mane that Trixie had come to know all too well.

Magus stood before her, giving her a death stare like no other. It was obvious that he was upset just by the look of hatred in his eyes and the steady stream of uncontrollable, fiery energy that emanated from him. Trixie didn't care what he thought, though, this is the only and best option.

“Trixie, new light of the Order of the Crimson Circle,” the mysterious mare piped up, not looking at either them. “Do you accept apprenticeship under this sorcerer? Do you concede your will and put your soul and life into the possession of this one who stands before you?”

“I accept,” Trixie solemnly answered, standing strong despite his infuriated presence as she stared back at him with unwavering eyes.

“Magus, exulted Grand Archmage of the Order of the Crimson Circle,” the mare said again. “Do you accept the responsibility as Master with this one by your side?”

Magus remained quiet for a moment, continuing to the judge Trixie, looking as if he would burst into flames right then and there. The seconds dragged on like hours until, finally, he spoke.

“No.”

Trixie's ears fell to their sides; her face fell apart, drooping lower than she thought possible. The news was a violent attack that left a sizable, jagged wound in her chest. The stallion turned away and headed back towards the empty darkness.

It was yet another blow to see him walking away for what would be the last time. Trixie could feel her eyes beginning to water as tears welled up, threatening to burst and flood her face.

She had to say something. Remembering what he had promised her a long while ago, she had to remind him of what he said. Regardless of what he did then and now, she wouldn't want to be taught by anypony else. Blinking away her encroaching tears she stomped a hoof.

“So that's it then? You're just going to leave thinking you're so high and mighty and not even stopping to consider others?” Trixie shouted to him, but was unable to stop his retreat. “You promised that you'd always be there for me!”

He stopped in his tracks just as his hoof was about to step into the blackness.

“You promised me,” Trixie called to him again. “Doesn't that mean something to you?”

“You don't understand,” Magus finally replied, refusing to look at her. “You'll never understand.”

“What? What don't I understand? That you're a liar? Is that what I don't understand—?”

“You’re not listening!” he roared, spinning around to face her. His nostrils flared as he bared his teeth in a glare before he said, “I asked you to move on. Why, why can't you just accept that? Can't you follow just one of my orders?”

“Why should I, when you need as much help as I do? You said you'd protect me, but—”

“I am protecting you, don't you understand? This is for the best.”

“For who? Me or you? Would you rather I just let you wallow in your own sadness while you kill yourself?”

“You stupid girl. You understand nothing.”

“I understand that you're afraid of me.”

“What in the name of Oblivion are you talking about?”

“I remind you of someone, someone that you don't want to remember. That's what your potion was for, right? To forget everything?”

“Don't you dare,” he growled, taking an aggressive stance towards her. “Don't you dare bring that up. You have no right!”

“And why not? You're just going to forget it all anyways.”

“Are you so blind that you can't see that this is a bad decision? Or do you just not care?”

“For goodness sakes, Magus, why can't you just trust me?”

“I do trust you, you little fool. I—” he stopped, realizing what he admitted. “I… I…” Magus looked away from her, observing the floor beside him, face scrunched in thought.

“Magus,” Trixie chirped up, “if you really trust me, then accept my decision.”

His eyes shifted back to her, the burning frustration behind them beginning to extinguish.

“Do you realize what you're doing? Are you ready to accept the consequences that will come about?”

“I do. I understand perfectly,” she said as Magus approached.

“No, you don't.” Magus held out his hoof to her and said, “In the eyes of the Fates and the sightless gaze of the Unseen One, I accept this one as my apprentice.”

“Then, will the apprentice raise their hoof in acceptance?” The masked mare said, having remained silent the whole time. Trixie complied, raising her foreleg next to his.

The mare brought their forelegs together and sandwiched their hooves between hers before she began to speak in an echoing version of the Order’s language, getting louder as she continued. Strands of darkness swirled around them like a visible gust of wind. The ethereal chain that connected them appeared glowing red as it grew shorter until it was completely taut between them. Alien whispers wailed at them, like they were administering judgment on the two. Another magic circle, almost identical to the one surrounding them appeared above, as both roared with energy, creating a bright, blinding light while firefly-like glows swirled around.

Trixie could feel a butterfly-like sensation engulfing her as what she could only describe as electricity surged though her hoof. The energy around her was getting intense, her teeth chattered as power ran though her.

The light abruptly stopped, fading into black as a new glow took its place. As her vision was still clouded, a rumble sounded like a crashing wave, rising to a crescendo that slammed headlong into her eardrums. The hazy blindness lasted for but a second before her gaze returned to normal and warm a light filled her vision as a rhythmic drumming boomed all around.

With the columns surrounding her, the large skylight above, and the tables still filled with food, Trixie found herself back in the ballroom with a crowd of ponies surrounding her. The stomping of their hooves created a thunderous roar as some cheered and shouted in praise. It didn’t take long for her to notice Magus was standing before her with his hoof still holding onto hers. His cloak was gone, replaced by his usual attire.

Before she could retract her foreleg, he pulled her in close, getting next to her ear.

“Congratulations,” he whispered into her ear. “You’ve accepted an apprenticeship under a monster.”

“I don’t care,” she replied in the same, cold manner.

“Then, you stand at the inferno’s gates. Pray you have made the right decision in choosing to enter them.” He threw her away, releasing her in the process before storming off, heading through the dispersing crowd.

Trixie scowled at his departure before looking around at the mages. Some were paired and happily speaking with other apprentice ponies she recognized who now wore the golden emblem pendants like her. Even Ripper with the Lieutenant and the Rookie were busy congratulating a new apprentice, who seemed to have joined them.

Others gathered around in a big circle as couples of ponies appeared from nothing. Starting off as black silhouettes at first before their features came into focus with their hooves joined; it was likely the same way Magus and her had arrived.

As the crowd around her broke up, Trixie got the strangest feeling of eyes upon her. When a cluster of party guests moved, they revealed the masked stallion that she’d seen Magus speaking to before.

He stared at her, not saying anything, only smiling. Trixie wanted to say something as they locked eyes for a moment, but she could form no words for him. Flaring his magenta cape, he turned from her as he chuckled in his throat, grinning as he walked away.

Trixie didn’t know what that was about or who he was, but she quickly forgot about it as her mind wandered back to Magus. After a brief scan of the room, her gaze quickly caught sight of his crimson robe climbing the stairs in a steadfast march.

She called out to him as she ran to the foot of the steps. He didn’t respond or even acknowledge her as he continued on without a care. Trixie watched him go as her brow knitted tightly together.

Although Trixie didn’t react much to it, the smell of flowers filled the air, appearing from out of nowhere.

“My, oh, my,” a familiar mare’s voice came from behind her. Before she could look back, the strange white unicorn with the blue cloak took a seat on the floor next to her, staring up at Magus. “Master Magus is a teacher now. How interesting. I must say, I didn’t see that coming. Ah, it’s so nice to experience that feeling every once in a while.”

Trixie just stared at her, unsure how to respond.

“But do tell,” she went on, “do you think you’ve made the right choice?”

“I did,” Trixie replied before looking back up at Magus. “I know I did.”

As Magus reached the last step, he looked back and glared down at her as she stared back at him, their eyes locking in a frozen stare.

Their destinies were in motion together now and whether he liked it or not, Magus was stuck with her. Forced to endure her unwelcomed presence same as she had to withstand his maddening quest. No matter what trouble came their way, they would have to stand against it together. Whether or not this was a good thing, only time would tell.

The End

Comments ( 17 )

Huh. Now thats one way to break the system. Hope she helps Magus get better in the end, Great Chapter and Great story. I liked it . :twilightsmile:

6370576 Is the fic actually completed? Or did you just accidentally mark it wrong?
EDIT: So it actually is done, hurry up and get on the sequel!

~Crystalline Electrostatic~
11:40_9/7/2015

Okay we know this pre alicorn amulet incident and neither is the alternate universe tag been used. So that makes me wonder how the writer is going to include them in this story arc. Non the less I really enjoyed the story so far. :twilightsmile:

Now things get intereating

6401034
First, yes, it's marked correctly. Second, I AM BUT ONE MAN!!! :rainbowlaugh:
But, yes, I do intend to work on a sequel sometime in the future. Maybe not anytime soon as I don't have a solid concept yet and I have, like, ten other stories planned. Besides, this one took me soooooooooooooooooooooo long to finish that I want to write something else while I plan the sequel. But stay tuned, The Circle shall return. :twilightsmile:
Glad you enjoyed the first part of the ride :heart:

6401150
Just wait and see :raritywink:

Now that, dear Author, was an excellent ending to an excellent story. Quite well done, and you've made me hungry for more!

See thou on the flip side, CodeMonkey. :twilightsmile:

6407786
Thanks so much! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
I was worried about how the ending would be received. I'm glad you like it and I hope to satiate your hunger soon :pinkiehappy:

Just finished reading (was using downloaded version thru phone book app, so probably didn't count my Read in your numbers), and it is glorious!
I almost don't wish for a sequel. Everything was wrapped nicely, leaving just enough in the fog so we can never get 100% of the story. But, at the same time, I am a voracious bookophile, so I humbly request/refuse moar.

6432874
Wow, thank you so much. It means a lot to hear :twilightsmile:
The problem with not writing a sequel is that I have soooooooo many more ideas. I just can't resist :twilightsheepish:

6451685
For the time being, yes :twilightsheepish:.
But I'll be continuing this story when I have a solid idea of what to do next (which may be awhile). New stories will be posted in the mean time. Nevertheless, I do hope you enjoyed it, because the tale is far from over :pinkiecrazy:

Finally finished reading this. . . (I've been way behind!)

I think the strong point of this story has been the characterization -- not only Trixie and Magus (although they are obviously the hub around which it rotates), but also some of the others we encountered along the way.

Weak points. . . The whole underlying precept was Trixie learning a category of magic utterly unlike that normally wielded by unicorns, and utterly unknown to most of them. I have to say I rarely got that feeling. This secret order seem to be pretty similar to how many of us imagined unicorn magic worked in Equestria already (although rather darker at times), and it's not clear how their abilities really differ from those of other unicorn spellcasters.

Although the main conflict of the story, which is really about Trixie and Magus coming to grips with one another, was wrapped up, obviously there's much left undone here. I got very little idea of how the Order interacts with the magical (but somehow not magical in the same way!) rest of Equestria. And at the end we're still left to imagine what Trixie's ultimate accomplishments might be.

6729826
Super sorry for the really late reply. Been very busy. I actually wasn't sure if anyone was still reading this. Thanks for the comment btw. :pinkiehappy:
I'm glad you enjoyed the story and liked the characters. Was honesty worried about a lot of it.
As for the magic, I honestly took what magic I saw in the show and essentially did what they didn't do. What I mean is, I never saw anypony (such as Twilight) use healing magic, elemental magic, or the kind of magic I've seen used in such things as D&D, Elder Scrolls, Harry Potter, Warhammer, etc. I just assumed that they didn't have that kind of magic in a typical unicorn spell book. I can get that likely most of it isn't used because of the G rating of the show, but that just means I can do it where the show perhaps can't (not sure if demon summoning, fighting with the destructive elements of nature, or utilizing enchanted weaponry is really kid friendly). I really should've upped the magic use though, but at least it gives me something to build on in the next story and it will get bigger. And it's funny you mention the difference between unicorn and Circle mages. I actually had an entire page in my notes dedicated to explaining the difference, I just never had a chance to explain it without feeling like I was writing too much exposition :derpyderp1:. Same goes with most else I wanted to add :derpyderp2:. Will go over it another time, lol. Note to self: up the ante! :pinkiecrazy:
As for everything else, you'll have to wait for True Magic 2. :twilightsheepish:
Thanks sooo much for the critique!!! :heart:

This was nice...
At some parts it felt rushed... but overall I enjoyed even more than harry potter. (which might or might not seem like a compliment depending who you ask.)

Will there be a sequel? I'm intrigued with the universe you have created.

Thanks for the story.

7511757
Thank you even more for reading :heart::heart::heart:. I'm glad you like it more so than Harry Potter (I'll be taking it as a compliment :twilightsmile:).
Secondly, I'm surprised you felt some parts were rushed. I honestly felt I dragged my feet way too much on a lot of it. Still kicking my self about it, actually. And yes, their will definitely be a sequel it's just going to take some time as I'm still trying to come up with what is going to happen next and so far nothing has met my approval. I'm probably going to be working on some other stories in the mean time until I come up with the best plot possible for the next book. I tell ya, writing is hard sometimes! :applejackconfused:

7520788 Writing is really hard. Yes.

Anyways. I'll keep waiting for your next project :3.

Login or register to comment