• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 3,960 Views, 137 Comments

True Magic - CodeMonkey



A lone mare discovers the untold secrets of true magic.

  • ...
8
 137
 3,960

Chapter 24 - The Price of Progress

Chapter 24 - The Price of Progress

Trixie arrived at the brightly lit foyer before she knew it. Glancing over the railing, the two ornate chairs sat, devoid of the unicorn’s presence, and she reasoned he was probably in his room, fast asleep. As she arrived at the base of the stairs, a loud bang erupted from the dining room, sounding like somepony pounding on the walls. Staring down the hall, her body shivered at the faint vibrations of some erratic power. It was far too unstable to be Magus, and the idea of somepony else breaching the caravan was impossible; or so she thought. Brushing her quivering aside with a shake of her head, she followed the energy, unsure what was ahead, but remaining alert and determined to find out what it was.

The dining room was the same as it had always been, the paintings on the walls, the furniture, and the long, black window at the other end of the room. Nothing had been touched and there was no sign of anypony who could be causing the racket she’d been hearing.

Another sudden crash of breaking glass refocused her attention, directing her to the door at the end of the long table. Trixie stared at the door for a moment, waiting to see if another sound would occur. When none came, she made her way over, pulse hastening, realizing that she had never seen what was behind it for all the days she’d been here. It was the same room Magus locked himself in while she practiced her magic day by day. Whatever he was doing in there, he made sure to guard it whenever she came knocking.

‘Could it really be him in there?’ she thought, feeling the inconsistent energy inside.

“Master?” Trixie called, tapping ever so slightly on the door. She put her ear close to the door and heard nothing at all, much less a reply. “Master?” she said again, knocking a little harder, only to find it unlocked as it creaked inward. Slowly, she pushed the door open and took a step inside, looking around at her new surroundings.

Beyond the threshold was a sight to behold. An enormous laboratory towered before her, dedicated to some arcane science with beakers, burners, mortars, glassware of all kinds, and innumerable other oddities piled high in every corner of the room like something out of a mad scientist novel. Colorful chemicals bubbled in their jars and through transparent tubes running from them while the cogs of large machines turned and ground. Strange symbols were drawn on practically every surface and books with blank covers were piled high throughout the room.

Wandering inside, she noted that much of the lab was split in half by sets of tall, expansive rows of shelves and machinery, but leaving the small space she walked in open with only a few tables and cabinets against the walls. Various plants and colored dust covered the counters with a number of scientific-looking tools lying next to them. Trixie jumped as the sudden sounds of electricity roared overhead, leaving sparks in its wake as it hopped from pylon to pylon.

She marveled at the machines and objects around her before a sudden, hollow knock reminded her what she was here for. The lab became a distant thought as she glanced around the room, quickly finding where the sound came from.

Past an archway made of climbing beakers and arcing tubes, stood a heavy-looking door that was almost twice as big as any other she had seen in the caravan. Large bolts and latches kept the door sealed, curious that out of all the secrets Magus was keeping from her behind locked doors, this was the only one with locks on the outside. Stranger still were the rusted chains and broken padlock on the floor in front of it, looking as if they had once been bolted into the hole riddled wall around the entryway.

The locks would be easy enough to remove, secured as they were with simple latches, but with their quantity it seemed that, whatever was beyond the door, Magus wanted it to stay where it was. Not even a handle adorned the door, leading her to assume that she had to push it.

Hesitant at first, Trixie lightly knocked on the door. “Master? Are you in there?” There was no response. Her mind was aflutter with what could be hiding behind the barred door. Magus was always very determined to keep her in the dark about anything that concerned him, and she debated whether or not she should intrude.

After weighing the options, she thought, ‘A little peek couldn't hurt.’

Taking a quick glance behind her to ensure that she was alone, Trixie began the tedious process of unlocking all the bolts and latches she could find. Each hollow click that sounded brought her closer to discovering the stallion's secrets. When the final lock was removed, Trixie stood before the unguarded door and what lay beyond became tantalizingly close.

Trixie's curiosity was abuzz as she placed her hooves on the entrance and gave it a hard push. It didn't move at first, and she put more force into it before it progressively inched inward, making a loud creak before moving the rest of the way on its own.

As the door swung into the room, Trixie gazed at the chilling sight before her. The candlelit room was small and in a state of disarray as numerous shards of glass and liquids littered the ground. The floor, walls, and even the ceiling were damaged by scorch marks, as if a fire had broken out. Trixie cringed with a curled lip when she laid eyes on the numerous pictures and diagrams that hung on the walls, all depicting a pony's anatomy and organs to a stomach churning degree of realism. A long, narrow table sat in the center of the room, painted red by the ample amount of fresh red liquid that coated it, slowly sinking into the wood; she didn't want to believe it, but the iron tang in the air smelled strongly of blood. Familiar blue petals lay, stained, on the crimson wood as well as an unrecognizable crystalline vial that still had some powdery substance inside.

Trixie held a hoof over her snout as she proceeded deeper, the pungent odor almost overwhelming her senses. At the end of the grisly table, she found a large pot boiling over a roaring fire. Leaning in to take a closer look, saw a black substance inside that appeared to move on its own, just like the dark water from Loa's caravan. She quickly backed away, remembering what it had done before.

As she did, a soft jingle sounded at her hooves. Looking down, Trixie moved her hoof and found a silver chain with a circular-shaped locket attached that was slightly singed and covered with scratches. Picking up the trinket with her magic, she found that it was heavier than it looked and could see that, despite the wear, it was finely crafted with elaborate flowers embroidered into its frame. The case must’ve been welded shut as no matter how hard she tried, the locket wouldn’t open. Giving up, she turned it over and saw the words, My Heart and Soul, To You Forevermore printed in ornate text, completely free of any damage.

As she read the words, a loud creak sounded behind her followed by a hollow slam that made her heart sink.

“What are you doing here?” announced a cold voice, confirming Trixie's fears as she recognized it immediately.

Swallowing her concerns, she looked back, keeping the locket behind her, to see the door closed shut with the silver maned unicorn slumped against the wall beside it, staring at her with bloodshot eyes. Trixie didn’t know what to say or how to react, yet, she became distracted by his shocking appearance.

His usually, finely groomed coat was a mess and his silver mane was out of sorts, sticking out in every direction and hanging limp over his face. The red robe he was never seen without was torn in places with one blood-soaked sleeve pulled up and the other ripped along the wrist yet still with a noticeable red stain. Long cuts could be seen along his bare foreleg, appearing fresh as crimson droplets still poured from them, pooling onto the ground around him. His eyes continued to twitch as they stared at her, occasionally shaking wildly as if he was having trouble seeing her.

“Why have you come?” Magus said in a shaky voice.

“Master! I was just—”

“Do you like it?”

“What?”

“The locket. Do you like it?” he asked calmly, causing Trixie to freeze. His voice was uneasily soothing, chilling in fact, that sent a shiver up her spine. Something wasn’t right about him. Her eyes darted behind her for a second, realizing that she had been caught. Before she could say a word in defense, Magus stopped her and said, “Why don’t you put it on?”

“P-put it on?” she said, levitating the pendant into view in front of her. “Master, I couldn’t. It’s not even mine. I—”

A red aura broke her hold on the trinket, replacing it with Magus’ magic as he put the chain around her neck. She watched the locket as he released it, allowing it to rest around her neck before looking back up at him with a grimace and a speechless voice.

He looked at her with hollow eyes for a moment before his neck seemed to lose the ability to hold his head up.

“Why have you come?” he asked, looking at the floor.

There was more wrong with him than she thought. She wasn’t sure what it was, but the pool of blood on the ground and the bubbling pot next to her were good hints. But what connection they had, she couldn’t say.

“I-I heard a noise. It…it woke me up and I—”

“Don’t you dare lie to me!” he abruptly shouted, springing to his hooves as he glared at her and stomped on the floor with a shaky hoof. “I should’ve killed you a long time ago. Allowed nature to take its course.” He began marching towards her as he said, “Why, why, why didn’t I just let you die!?”

“Wh-what?”

“You have no right being here.” Magus hastened his pace, until he was face to face with the dumbfounded Trixie. “That’s all you’ve ever done, taunt me, twisting the knife that’s already buried in my heart.” He pushed forward as she began to blindly retreat, unable to take her eyes off him. “Every night, every day it’s the same. Do you enjoy toying with me? Torturing me? Is my life a game to you? To do as you wish for your own sick pleasure!?”

Magus backed her into the wall so much that she was forced to stand as he placed both hooves on either side of her, removing any chance of escape.

“Is that it!?” he demanded, baring his teeth. The wood around his hooves began to smolder as his intense stare remained on her.

“Master, I don’t know what you’re talking about. I—”

In a flash, he gripped her shoulders. Squeezing her tight, he said, “Don’t say that! You’ve lost the privilege to call me that ever again.”

His hold sharply escalated, practically crushing her under the force. She winced and attempted to struggle, but could hardly move.

“You’re hurting me—”

“Good!” he shouted, slamming her against the wall. “Know a fraction of my pain. Feel it. You did this, all of this.”

His grip loosed for only a moment before he was pressing against her neck. Trixie gagged as she pulled on his hooves, attempting to remove them, feeling her air supply slowly stopping.

She gasped for air as Magus frantically said, “Die, die, just die. I want to see the light fade in your accursed eyes. Now, die.”

Trixie wheezed, trying one last time to reason with him only to find that speaking was impossible.

The pressure on her throat intensified as she struggled and thrashed about, trying anything to get away. Everything blurred as darkness crept in around the corners of her vision. Trixie couldn’t believe this was happening to her, and from somepony she trusted.

As much as she fought she couldn’t get any air while his hold on her only grew. Her feats of resistance were in vain as Magus held strong against her smacks and kicks. With her options dwindling, there was only one thing left to do.

With the last of her strength she focused her magic into her horn and released a bright flash of light in the form of a firework spell right into Magus’ face. He yelled in pain as he jumped back, allowing her to fall to the ground and breathe once more. He shouted curses in anger as he rubbed his face, allowing Trixie time to recover. In a blind rage, he thrashed about, wildly swinging with one hoof while keeping the other over his injured eyes.

The cauldron was pushed over as he passed by, spilling the concoction onto the ground. It remained for only a moment before evaporating, leaving no trace of it behind save a wisp of smoke.

Trixie took a few quick, deep breaths before her eyes locked onto the door at the far side of the room. Magus fell to the ground with a wail, propping himself up with a foreleg while the other continued to wipe his face. This was her moment to flee, whatever was happening, she didn’t care. Getting to safety was the only thing on her mind. Not wasting another moment, she took off towards the door, keeping the table between her and the enraged pony.

Before she could come anywhere near the exit, something struck the ground in front of her, calling forth a wall of fire that split the room in half.

“Where are you running off to?” Magus’ chillingly calm voice emanated.

Trixie looked over to him with trembling eyes as she saw him…and it. To her horror, a fiery, serpent-like appendage had sprouted from his back with a scythe-like point at the end hanging limply over him. If it was magic, it was unlike any she could imagine. With both hooves on the ground, he slowly got up; his mane concealing his face, hanging down as he rose.

“We’re not finished, yet. This ends tonight, you see. It all ends…” he said, in an unnaturally soothing manner, before shooting her a crazed glare from a single red, glowing eye. “Tonight!” The bladed appendage swung towards her, barely missing her as she ducked in response, the air above briefly being lit ablaze.

As Magus faced her, she hastily glanced around, looking for any way to escape as her eyes fell on the table. Acting quickly, she flipped the table over with a flick of her horn and placed it atop the wall of flames, creating a small path through the barrier. With the pass quickly degrading and the insane mage approaching her, she hurried across. The wood wasn’t much protection from the enchanted flames below and she felt them burning her hooves, but she managed to cross just in time before the fire gobbled up the table and returned to its normal state. Trixie ignored the pain in her legs and bolted to the door.

“There will be no escape this time!” Magus shouted as she clawed at the door, trying desperately to find a way to open it. “All the pain. All the suffering. Will end in fire!”

Trixie breathed heavily as she turned just in time to see Magus effortlessly walk through the wall of flames, five more bladed limbs erupted from his back and danced wildly over him, making screeching noises on their own. With a bloodthirsty roar, he unleashed a geyser of flames from his mouth towards her. Instinctually, she rolled out of the way as the attack passed, breaking through the door as if it were nothing, sending small bits of flaming wood everywhere. Taking a brief glance at him, Trixie dashed out of the opening into the lab with searing flames close on her tail.

Just as the exit was in sight, something swatted her legs out from under her as a burning tentacle flew over her and slammed the door shut, leaving a fire wall in its place. Trixie tumbled and slid to a stop, but she didn’t have much time to recuperate before she saw three more appendages come at her. Moving out of the way just in time, she hurried down one of the beaker cluttered aisles as jars fell in her wake, some exploding into a piercing, colorful light.

“I will finish what the Fates started,” Magus’ voice reverberated around the room. “Not even the Ancient One will recognize you when I send you to him!”

Shelf after shelf crashed to the floor behind her, sending glass and chemicals flying as fire streaked across the ceiling and walls. She didn’t know how far the hall stretched or where she was going, but so long as it put distance between her and the crazed mage, it didn’t matter.

A stream of fire flew over her head and landed in front of her, exploding as it instantly took the form of Magus, bringing her to an immediate, sliding stop.

His eyes were fire, and it seeped out from the corners as he stepped out from the surrounding flames. More of the serpent-like tentacles hovered above him with all their bladed edges pointing at her. As Magus walked towards her, his hooves singed the floor, leaving patches of flames behind, as Trixie backed away. She didn’t get far before a pillar of fire erupted behind her, blocking her retreat. Her panicked breaths turned raspy as the heat seared her lungs.

“Master, you’re not yourself,” Trixie pleaded as the sound of her heartbeat rang in her ears, “Please, don’t do this!”

“Go back where you belong. In my memories,” Magus said as the blades converged around him, readying to strike.

Taking a quick scan of the room, Trixie spied a small gap between two of the shelves, just big enough for her to fit through. Looking back to Magus one last time, she darted towards the opening just as the enflamed blades launched towards her, barely missing, but snipping off a few strands of hair from her tail. She squeezed through the cavity and made it to the adjacent aisle on the other side as fast as she could before hearing Magus roar. Fleeing from the sound of an explosion behind her and the rattling containers on the tables, she made her way down the fire and glass filled passage and soon saw the exit, no longer guarded by the wall of flames.

Quickly, she threw open the door and ran through, slamming it shut behind her. Trixie wasted no time as she headed towards the foyer, running down the hall and gasping for air the whole way.

When she was more than halfway down the corridor, a clamor erupted back at the dining room in the form of shattering wood and a roaring combustion. Trails of flames rocketed passed her, clinging to the arched ceiling as they reached the entrance hall before her.

As she entered the room, the flames blocked off the stairs, the front door, and the opposing hallway, leaving her trapped with nothing but the two ornate chairs and the fireplace to protect her.

Hearing hoofsteps behind her, Trixie acted quickly and dove underneath one of the chairs, hoping it’d be enough to hide her from her pursuer. It wasn’t the best place, but it would have to do, she hoped.

Her ears flicked in reaction to every sound around her, from the faint crackling flames to the echoing hoofsteps that got closer every moment. Dark thoughts plagued her with grisly images of her demise, causing her to hyperventilate in terror.

Her heavy breathing came to an abrupt stop as she saw Magus enter the room, body almost aflame with the bladed appendages oscillating above, as if searching for her. Trixie followed him intently, trembling at the sight of the monster he'd become.

“Come out, coward,” Magus shouted. “Face the punishment you deserve.” His head swung from one direction to the next, thankfully unable to notice her hiding spot. “I will find you. It’s only a matter of time, and when I do I…I…!”

The fire in his eyes vanished, returning to normal as he shut them tight. He began violently jerking his head and digging at his throat, looking as if he was choking, as the crimson tentacles slithered away, disappearing into his back. Magus collapsed to the floor, hacking and gagging before he began to violently cough, spitting up a pool of black liquid. Tears welled in the corners of his eyes as he continued to heave the unnatural fluid.

He wheezed heavily, looking down at the dark pool before his eyes suddenly shot over to the chair and locked onto her with a crazed look. A tentacle spawned again and swatted the chair away before grabbing hold of one of her hooves, forcefully pulling her towards him. Trixie shrieked as she was thrown to the ground and a set of scorching hot hooves pinned her down by the throat.

Expellovis!” Magus shouted before a power encircled Trixie’s horn. Whatever it did, she could feel her unicorn magic slipping away. She quickly found that she could no longer call on it no matter how hard she tried.

With black liquid still dripping from his chin, Magus looked down at her and said, “This ends, now.” Reaching into his robe, Magus drew a curved, blood stained dagger and held it high over his head, poised to end her life as the tainted red metal shimmered in the firelight. All Trixie could do was gag and struggle as she stared at the blade while she gripped his hoof tightly and attempted to pry it from her throat to no avail. Magus clenched his teeth, the knife shaking frantically in his hoof.

Trixie stared into his fevered eyes, almost able to see whatever dark fit of madness plagued him. But, somehow, she could feel part of him was still in there, beyond his raging, inflamed eyes that glared down at her.

With a final burst of strength, she managed to loosen Magus' hoof on her throat. “M-Ma… MAGUS!” she shouted.

In a flash, Magus' eyes widened as he brought the knife down towards her. Trixie shut her eyes, awaiting the blade’s strike, but none came and instead she heard Magus letting out a stifled groan. Suddenly, something warm splashed onto her stomach, followed by single drops. Magus removed his hoof from her throat as she peaked out from one eye to see a now familiar pony standing over her.

Gone were the eyes of madness, and he appeared different, almost like his old self again. He coughed, and more warm droplets landed on her. Trixie looked down and saw the knife plunged into his stomach, blood dripping from the hilt and his clenched hoof. Slowly, she looked back up at him, trying to make sense of what happened and what he had done.

Wincing, Magus aimed his free hoof at the door and forced it open, revealing a city outside. Trixie turned her head to stare at the open door, feeling a cold air whip past her.

“Go,” Magus weakly said, stumbling off of her and falling to the ground as he continued to clench the blood-soaked knife. She just stared at him as he began to hack up more black fluid. “Now.”

“…Magus—?”

“I said go!” he yelled as he twisted the knife with a painful groan. Trixie didn't move as she continued to gawk at the shivering stallion. “…She needs to die…She needs to suffer…” Magus muttered in a trembling tone, behaving as if he was talking to somepony or…as if somepony was talking to him. “She needs to burn, burn, burn—SHUT UP!” He screamed into the air.

“Magus,” Trixie said as she got on her hooves, “What's wrong with—?”

“Get out,” Magus commanded, looking at her with half of his face concealed by his wild mane.

“I don’t understand—!”

A geyser of fire erupted in front of her as he shouted, “Get out. Get, OUT!”

Trixie turned tail and galloped as hard as she could out the door, still hearing him repeat, “GET OUT!”

Trixie ran into the cold night as her hooves clopped loudly against the stone road. She didn't know where she was or where she was running to, but she had to escape, get away by any means necessary. It wasn't clear what malevolent force was controlling Magus or what was happening in that room. She didn’t know, and for the moment, she didn’t want to think about it. She just needed to run, and not stop until she was sure that whatever it was couldn’t find her again.