• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 3,960 Views, 137 Comments

True Magic - CodeMonkey



A lone mare discovers the untold secrets of true magic.

  • ...
8
 137
 3,960

Chapter 22 - The Magician's Dance

Chapter 22 - The Magician's Dance

For countless hours, Trixie repeated the same word and went through the same motions until her magical reserves were drained. Magus spent this time in silence, reading his book, oblivious to Trixie or the rest of the world around him.

When she had hit her breaking point, Trixie collapsed onto her haunches, trying to collect herself. As she rested, the sound of hooves echoed into the room, causing Trixie to look to the top of the stairs. The noise even drew Magus away from his reading.

Atop the staircase, Loa appeared, looking down at them with her clouded, sightless eyes.

“It's about dinnertime you two,” the zebra said. “I recommend you come and get it now before my husband gets home.” With that said, she turned and started back.

Food sounded good right about now as Trixie was famished from her restless training and her missed meals this morning. But before she could take a single step, Magus bolted past her in a hastened trot. Which suited her fine, since she was in no mood to talk or even acknowledge him right now. All she wanted to do was enjoy a peaceful meal without the looming threat of banishment digging at her.

Reaching the top of the steps, she could see Magus already walking side by side with Loa, muttering something to her.

“Patience Magus,” Loa replied aloud. “So long as he hasn't buried himself, he'll be here on time.”

Trixie quietly scoffed to herself as she shook her head, irritated by his selfish nature as she followed them into the hallway. It didn't take long to pass through the winding passage and arrive at the firefly-lit stairway with the alluring aroma of food wafting down the steps. Moving up the stairs and into the warm living room, the smell was stronger than ever, seeping from the slightly open door at the far end of the room.

Proceeding forward, Loa opened the door and headed through, revealing a small dining room. It looked similar to the rest of the home with its dark wood walls and colorful fabrics that draped from the rafters above, yet there was a noticeable lack of random bottles and decorations. The walls were practically free of the strange, wooden masks; save for one that hung above the bead shrouded entryway at the other end of the room where the smell of food originated, riding on wisps of steam that snaked out of the kitchen. A circular, ebony table with five chairs sat in the center under an iron chandelier, whose candles illuminated the room.

Trixie watched as Loa made her way around the table set for dinner before disappearing beyond the beaded veil into the next room.

Before they had chance to enter, the front door swung open, admitting Hex, his two saddlebags clanking loudly as he walked.

“I, have returned!” he announced.

Around his neck, Trixie noticed at least seven different necklaces, some with gems placed within the metal. Various, uniquely designed bracelets clanged around his legs as he kicked the door shut, each looking as priceless as the last. She could only imagine where he got them.

“Trixie, Magus, my friends!” Hex said as he saw them, brushing off the dirt that covered his coat. “How are you guys this fine, dark and gloomy evening?”

“Dad!” sounded Jabari’s voice as he dashed past them to give his father a hug. “Did you bring me anything?”

“I sure did!” Hex said as he reached into one of his saddlebags, moving the shafts of the digging tools around before pulling out and tossing a cuboid object to Jabari. “A puzzle box from some poor soul who no one cared to write a name for. Free of evil spirits and ghostly connections.”

Jabari thanked him as Hex said, “A shame, though, I, for one, enjoyed the time we were haunted. The stacking chairs, the inter-dimensional portal in our closet, the killer tree. Didn’t much care for the clown though.” Hex shuttered with a grimace as he patted Jabari on the head.

Magus quickly approached him and said, “Welcome back Hex. I pray your time among the departed was fruitful?”

“No, no fruit. Couldn’t imagine what could grow out there, and I wouldn’t advise trying any if there was. Unless, of course, you had a death wish or something that possibly ended with some horrible monster bursting out of your chest.”

As Magus shook his head, Trixie joined him, eying the dazzling trinkets the zebra wore. Hex took notice of her attention and said, “Like ‘em?” He grabbed one with a large ruby pendent and moved it around in his hoof so that the light could shine off of it. “They're nice, right?”

“Beautiful,” Trixie replied, the red gem twinkling in her eye. She almost didn't want to ask the next question, but felt compelled. “But, uh, where did you get them, exactly?”

His face lit up as he said, “Well, I just happened to meet some real generous folks who were more than happy to let me take these. Not the most talkative or…well…lively bunch, if you catch my drift.” Leaning towards her, he winked twice as he said, “Wink, wink.”

“So, you stole them?” Trixie replied with a grimace.

“I wouldn't exactly call it stealing if the prior owners are incapable of using them anymore. No reason such luxurious jewelry should go to waste on those who aren't in the habit of enjoying them, right? Oh! I almost forgot,” he said as he removed two of the necklaces. “These are for you.” In one quick motion, he placed the trinkets around Trixie and Magus’ necks.

Trixie felt filthy wearing something that was once on a corpse. The sheer thought of it made her skin crawl as she slowly removed it and uneasily said, “Uh, thanks. I'll…wear it later.”

Hex waved a hoof as he said, “Hey, don't worry about it. A little hot water and soap will take that rotting flesh and decaying carcass smell right off.”

With curled lips, Trixie gagged as she dropped the necklace, wiping her hoof on the floor and recoiling back, suddenly feeling the need to wash herself a thousand times over.

Hex chuckled at Trixie’s action, until Magus sternly said, “Hex.” Getting his full attention, Magus continued, “Did you happen to find them?”

Tilting his head to the side, Hex looked at Magus with a frown and a blank stare as he said, “Did I find what? The bracelets?”

Shaking his head, Magus replied, “No I’m speaking of—”

“Because I have them right here, see,” he said, lifting one of his forehooves to show Magus the shiny gold bands that clinked together.

“I'm not referring to the—”

“I don't know why you're asking about them, though. I would think you’d be more interested in whether or not I found any of those ingredients needed to make Aquae tenebraum. You know, the stuff you came all the way out here for. The alchemical compound that you need: a quarter-pound of Radix inferos, several Evernight petals, four ounces of crushed Stellio oculus, mixed for ten minutes at a temperature of about—”

“Yes, Hex! That one,” Magus interrupted, scowling at the now grinning zebra.

“Just wanted to make sure,” he coyly replied with an upturned face.

Trixie didn’t understand half the stuff he said, but whatever Aquae tenebraum was, Magus was eager to get his hooves on it, especially to have come all this way and going to the lengths he was to ensure he got it.

Magus and Hex silently eyed one another, until Magus said, “Well?”

“Well, what?”

“Did you find any of them?”

“…The bracelets?” Magus narrowed his gaze. Hex started to laugh loudly before he said, “Ah, I’m just messing with you!” When his amusement ceased, he took a breath and wiped a tear from his eye. “But no, sorry to say the part of the graveyard I visited was fresh out of everything. Well, everything you wanted, I mean; it had more than what I was looking for.” Hex admired his bracelets as he said, “The guys in the boxes sure had great taste in jewelry, let me tell ya.”

“How can that be?” Magus said. “You told me before that they were exceptionally common sights in these types of areas.”

“Yeah…” Hex drawled, putting his hoof down and looking away as he scratched the back of his head. “But, I did say that way back in our academy days. And back then, I didn't even know the difference between Flores mortis and Flores vitae. Turns out, there's a big difference. But don't worry,” he said, strolling past him with Jabari in tow, giving him a pat on the shoulder. “I've barely scratched the surface of this field of decay. I'll have better luck tomorrow. You’ll see.”

Magus sighed before he said, “I pray that you’re right.” Magus turned and followed Hex.

Trixie trailed behind them, leaving her grotesque gift on the floor, not at all interested in touching it again. It was a wonder that Magus still wore his necklace as proper as he acted, but really all that mattered to her right now was getting food in her belly.

Hex and Jabari entered the dining room first as Hex shouted, “Who wants a present?”

As she followed behind him, Trixie noticed Magus heading towards the opposite door. “Aren't you coming to dinner?” Trixie asked.

“I'm not hungry,” Magus hastily said without stopping as he entered the door and proceeded down the stairs.

Trixie huffed as she shook her head. ‘Always the loner,’ she thought, before following the smell of food, eager to get something to eat.

As she entered the room, she saw Hex kneeling next to his wife, tenderly kissing her foreleg in a very overly affectionate manner. The normally easily agitated Loa appeared to be enjoying the romantic attention unlike last night with her eyes shut and her ears pointed down in a relaxed fashion. Around her neck, Trixie noted a golden, jewel embroidered necklace, looking like one of the trinkets Hex brought home.

As Hex worked his kisses up towards her face, Trixie couldn't help but chuckle, trying to mask it as best as she could, bringing a hoof to her lips. At that moment, Loa's eyes opened and her ears shot up as she quickly pulled her hoof away from her husband’s embrace causing him to tumble to the floor. “Husband, hurry up and fetch the plates and one for our guest,” Loa said, noticeably blushing.

Hex snickered as he got back up and said, taking her hoof once more, “As you wish, my love, my muse, my sun, my everything, my burning passion which drives my very heart and soul into the swirling vortex of my unfathomable, unwavering devotion to thee, that sends pulsations of life from my black, still beating core; I—

“Husband!” Loa interrupted, her reddening face even more prominent now, “The meal, if you please!”

“Oh,” Hex said, bowing his head as he progressively, yet slowly backed up towards the entryway behind them. “Of course, my one, my only, my heart's desire, my beginning, my end, my destiny that the Ancient One deemed me worthy enough to share the same lung filling air that even now imbues my body with—

NOW!”

“Right away,” he quickly said before disappearing behind the beaded entrance.

Jabari laughed as Loa returned her attention to Trixie, her face dimming back down to normal. Clearing her throat and brushing a strand of hair from her face, Loa said, “Don't mind him. Please, take a seat.” Loa gestured to the nearest seat to Trixie, to which she humbly took. “I assume my husband has given you a gift from his latest…eh… expedition?”

Trixie grimaced as she said, “Yeah… He did. But I think I'll wear it on… special occasions only.”

Loa chuckled knowingly.

“Of course, of course,” Loa said with a smile.

“Is that why you're out here?” Trixie asked.

“Hm?”

“To grave rob, I mean.”

Hex’s voice chimed in at that moment, echoing from the next room, “Grave repossessing!”

“Does the act of, allegedly, stealing from the dearly departed offend you?” Loa asked.

“No,” she answered. “I just find it a little morbid. Then again, from what I've seen so far this should be nothing unusual.”

Loa laughed before she said, “I understand the feeling. And, to answer your question, no. We're not out here just for shiny trinkets. That’s more of a hobby to my husband than actual work.”

“So, why are you out here?”

Without warning, Hex popped up next to her, no longer wearing his signature hat and coat, now looking tidier than before, especially without the grisly jewelry on.

“Same reason you and Magus are here,” he said, balancing three, steam covered bowls on his back and one on his head. From Hex’s shadow sprung a shady claw that grabbed one of the bowls and placed it in front of Loa. He and the arm disappeared under the table, suddenly reappearing on her other side.

“Well, not exactly the same. I need materials for my latest and greatest miracle elixir.”

With a raised eyebrow, Trixie said, “Miracle Elixir?”

BAM!” Hex shouted as he slammed a bottle onto the table in front of her.

The bottle was uniquely shaped with the middle narrower than the rest of it. The motionless green liquid inside glowed with small bubbles frozen in its goo-like fluid. A label that was plastered on it read: Hex the Magnificent, Magnificent All-Purpose MIRICLE Tonic of Magnificent Wonder! Below it, in bold letters, it read: Now with 999 Magnificent Uses!

“What is it?” Trixie asked.

“The future of medicine!” Hex said. “… And gardening…And cooking…Oh, and—”

“It’s snake oil,” Loa nonchalantly said, pulling her bowl closer.

“I added a lot more than just snakes and oil this time, my queen,” he said, glancing to Loa. “My miracle potion can alleviate just about any problem one may have.” With a flick of his tail, the ghostly arm dropped another bowl onto the table, in front of Trixie before he proceeded towards Jabari.

“Yes, any problem,” Loa said. “The only thing one has to worry about is the abundant amount of side effects it also causes.”

“Hey,” Hex said, dropping a bowl in front of Jabari. “You can't say the side effects and dangers aren’t clearly inscribed under the bottle cap in small, hard to read lettering.” Dropping the last bowl off his head at the vacant seat, Hex sat down in his chair as the magical appendage picked up the nearby spoon.

Looking down at the contents of the bowl, Trixie saw what looked like a stew of some kind with noticeable bits of vegetables and rice mixed into the thick broth. Whatever it was, smelled spicy, but after missing breakfast and lunch, Trixie was in no mood to be picky. She levitated her spoon into the bowl and scooped up a mouthful before taking a bite. The first few seconds were agonizing as the soup scorched her tongue. She could feel her face turning red from the fiery heat, but after it died down, she was eager for more.

They all ate in silence, with only the sounds of spoons clunking against the wood bowls filling the room.

“How have your studies been going, Trixie?” Loa said when Trixie was down to her last few bites. “Well, I hope.”

Trixie stopped eating and instead started to pick at her food, the feeling of hunger vanishing in that instant as the thoughts of today’s events regrettably entered her mind.

“They could be going better,” she answered weakly, looking down at her meal.

“Is time catching up on you?” Hex said, glancing over to her with, for once, a straight face. Faintly she nodded her head, but her attention remained downward. “If it makes you feel any better, I know what you’re going through. I just thank the Fates that Jabari was born into the Order and doesn’t have the looming threat of banishment hanging over him like I did.”

“What’s banishment?” Jabari asked.

Hex smiled as he looked at him. “Nothing you need worry yourself with, son. Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but how are you going to skip your schooling to help me tomorrow if you don’t eat anything?”

With wide eyes and a squeal escaping his lips, a ghostly claw sprung up from his shadow behind him, similar to his father’s, and grabbed his spoon, shoveling the food into his mouth.

Trixie leaned over the table, propping her head up with her hooves.

“It feels like I'm going around in circles trying to learn this spell. Did you have the same problem?” she asked, looking up to Hex with a wrinkled brow, almost begging for some words of aid.

“Depends, are you getting a dim circle, sparks, a small popping sound? What are you experiencing?” Hex answered.

“No, all I ever get is nothing. Absolutely nothing.”

“Oh, then no,” Hex said with a chuckle. “I was already way, way, way—!” Hex suddenly stopped and began making a gagging sound as he gripped his throat, coughing before falling out of his chair.

Trixie sat up and looked over the table at him, still coughing and heaving. At first, Trixie thought that he was choking on his meal as she watched him thrash on the floor. It appeared as if she was the only one who noted his peril. Even Jabari continued to eat as normal, not even glancing over at Hex’s fit.

Looking over to Loa, Trixie noticed her scowling expression while levitating a small, cloth doll next to her that looked almost identical to Hex. It had button eyes, painted on stripes, a realistic mane, and even going as far as to wear miniature versions of his clothes. One noticeable difference, though, was the long pin piercing its neck.

Hex continued to cough and gag until, with one quick motion, Loa gripped the pin in her hoof and pulled it out before sticking it into her mane behind her head, concealing it from view. In that moment, Trixie heard Hex take a long, heavy gasp.

“What my husband meant to say was, everypony and zebra is different, and their experience with magic is unique, like yours,” Loa said, looking to Trixie as the doll vanished into smoke. Glaring where Hex was sitting, she said, “It’s not something to boast about! Isn’t that right, husband?”

Hex’s hooves gripped the table as he said, breathlessly, “That is most correct darling. You couldn’t be more right.” With a winded heave, Hex flopped onto the table. He looked as if he was about to pass out until a grin stretched across his face as he looked to Loa and happily said, “I love you.”

“Trixie,” Loa said as Hex returned to his seat and started to eat again, “do you know how I’m able to see when my eyes cannot?” Trixie tilted her head to the side as she gave the blind mare a blank look. “Similar to how a mage can sense the world around them, I’m able to see everything using the same kind of power. Do you understand this concept of seeing the world?”

“I do,” Trixie answered. “I’ve experienced it before.”

“Good, then you have a good idea what I see. When you arrived yesterday or even when you walked in a while ago, do you know why, with my enchanted sight, I was surprised when I heard you?”

“I—” Trixie stopped when she thought it through, remembering the clarity she had when she first entered the magical state Loa described. She was able to see things that her eyes could not. Trixie recalled being able to see every object in the library, whether she was looking at it or not. “No, why can’t you see me,” she said, leaning closer. “Can you see me now?”

“I’m able to see you when you make a sound; otherwise you’re nothing more than a ghost to me. Very few are able to hide from my sight or even a mage’s senses. Do you understand how rare that is? Many spend years training to learn to suppress their presence, but you are able to do it without even trying.”

Trixie looked down at her hooves, attempting to comprehend the power she held. It wasn’t the ultimate magical prowess that she hoped for, but it was a small glimmer of optimism that she hadn’t had for the past few days.

“Believe me when I say, you are anything but incapable of learning sorcery,” Loa said.

Taking a moment to think it through, Trixie said, “Do you think Magus knows?”

“With the amount of attention I’m sure he’s been giving you, I doubt he has any idea of your potential. Come with me, there’s something I want to show you,” Loa said as she hopped off her chair before motioning for Trixie to follow. She did as instructed and got out of her seat, practically bouncing on her hooves as she hit the floor before hastily following.

Trixie's gaze remained centered on her, deep in thought, and wondered what the mare could have in store for her. Whatever it was, she just hoped it would help in some way.

“Sweetie, are you going to eat yours?” Hex said, pointing to her bowl as he watched them depart. Loa didn’t pay him any mind as she continued on. “…Honey Bunny?” As they left the room behind, Hex’s voice sounded moments later, “…I'm taking that as a yes.”

Loa led Trixie towards the beaded veil of a door at the far side of the room, pushing the beads aside to reveal a staircase that bended around the corner as it led to an upper floor. Following Loa up the winding steps, Trixie noted a number of string-like pieces of cloth hanging overhead, some with small, silver ornaments with foreign inscriptions on the end of each while others had what appeared to be bones wrapped within their strands. When they reached the top of the stairs, the path split into two halls where a door stood at the end of both. Trixie followed Loa down one of the short corridors, arriving at a door with an intricate design of a jungle or a swamp engraved into the wood.

Opening the door, Loa entered the room with Trixie close behind. Beyond the threshold, Trixie found herself in a large bedroom. As Trixie stepped inside, her nostrils were assaulted by the strong, almost overwhelming small of roses and perfumes that filled the room. It didn’t take long for her eyes to adjust to the dim light, a number of other, larger candlesticks of various heights sat lit along the perimeter of the room, creating dim shadows of the mares. In the corner was a bed, big enough for two, with each of its four posts extending almost to the ceiling, holding up silk fabric that surrounded the entire bed. Overhead was a vast collection of cloth dolls, similar to the one Loa had earlier, all hanging by the neck from cloth strands; each strongly resembling ponies, zebras, and even griffins. Two chaise lounges sat at the far side of the room with a small table between them and a vase of roses sitting on top.

It was pleasantly comforting with the burning stove in the corner, warming her fur as she passed by, following Loa across the elaborately designed rug in the center of the room to the back wall where a collection of dusty books and curious, macabre items sat upon the shelves.

Loa looked up and scanned the volumes and items until her clouded eyes locked onto one of them. From Loa’s shadow, a black, bony arm stretched out extending upwards and pulled a book from the highest shelf. The hand brought the tome down to eye-level with its master as she brushed some dust from the cover.

Leaning to the side, Trixie tried to get a look at the volume around the zebra’s figure, but wasn’t able to see anything of note. She wasn’t sure what good another book would do as she had plenty to bore herself to death with back home. Loa spun back around to face her, and Trixie quickly ceased her prying as the zebra approached with the mystical arm carrying the book in front of her.

“Concerning your training,” Loa said. “Magus has given you some kind of book to read, right?”

“He has,” she replied with a nod. “They've been doing the majority of the teaching since I started. Although, it's been hard not falling asleep while reading them.” Loa chuckled before the shadowy hand presented the slim book to her.

“I can imagine, but this should be of far greater assistance to you.” Seeing nothing particularly extraordinary about the blank, brown hardcover, Trixie grimaced.

“How? Are the words going to fly into my head?” Loa laughed again despite Trixie being quite serious.

“I believe that the difficulty you’re facing is due to the lack of magic flowing through you. It is difficult to focus magic in a single spot when your channels are disrupted.” Reluctantly, Trixie accepted the book with a glow from her horn and opened it to find a unique feature that the others before hadn't had.

Beyond its cover were more than just words, Trixie discovered. Beautifully drawn illustrations graced practically every page she turned to. The drawings depicted the image of a pony preforming what appeared to be a type of dance sketched in a step-by-step manner. The book wasn't very long, but it seemed as if it was written to solely teach this form.

“What kind of book is this?” Trixie asked, still flipping through the tome.

“It's a unique form of meditation that I think you'll find more interesting than what you've been studying. A friend invented it to increase the magical flow in the body. It is yet untested and unproven, but I believe it will work for you.”

“How can you be sure?”

“Call it a hunch,” Loa said with a smirk. “Now go, you haven’t got a much time left to learn this.”

Trixie closed the book and turned to leave, levitating the volume by her side. As she neared the door, she stopped briefly and glanced back at her, a thought entering her mind.

“Why are you helping me?”

“Do I really need to explain my motives?” Loa said with a raised eyebrow. “Go on, you have a lot of studying and practicing to do if you want to be ready for tomorrow’s, no doubt, stimulating lesson.”

Trixie nodded with a smirk before proceeding out the door, down the steps, and into the main room. She hurried back to her room, eager to study the book and learn whatever she could.

As she opened the door to her room, Trixie saw no sign of Magus or any indications that he had even been here. She assumed that he was likely off in some isolated room, alone. But it didn’t matter right now as she was determined to stay in this order of magic no matter how hard she had to fight. Trixie forgot what Magus had said earlier today, she wouldn’t give up; she would learn this sorcery with or without his help.

The creeping vines that had infested her room this morning had thankfully disappeared. In the corner, the singing plant, Boko, had reverted back into its purple and green bud form. A pleasing sight, since the depictions she had seen appeared to require ample space to move.

After closing the door behind her, Trixie lay down, opening the book in front of her and turned to the first page. There was no title page, table of contents, or even an introduction. It just started immediately with a few sentences, written in a very elegant manner, that went over a short theory about magical flow. As she read the first few paragraphs, it wasn't long before she reached the diagrams.

It appeared that it was a simple movement, only incorporating about ten positions. The first picture depicted a pony taking a stance which Trixie, while still looking at the page, proceeded to emulate. Trixie progressed from one diagram to the next at a slow pace, stepping, moving, and even spinning as if she was doing a subtle ballet. She continued to move about until the diagram came to an end with nothing feeling new or unusual. Levitating the book up closer to her, she scanned the page, hoping there would be more until she saw a footnote at the bottom of the page stating simply: Repeat.

Trixie raised an eyebrow, since she didn't see the purpose of doing it again, but shrugged and assumed the position. Preforming the technique again and again, she found herself gradually picking up speed as each move flowed effortlessly into the next. Eventually, she sat the book down on the bed, only glancing at it occasionally when she made a mistake, but quickly got back into the flowing movement.

For hours she continued to follow the tome’s instructions, moving from one form to the next, each becoming progressively more challenging, sometimes forcing her onto her hindlegs as she spun and moved her forehooves in a flowing fashion. Every few pages, she read more about the sorcery and how it behaved. Some of the passages were difficult to decipher as it appeared to be written like notes or questions directed at whoever wrote it. Trixie quickly lost track of time as she continued to practice and read page after page.

After what seemed like hours, Trixie’s body grew weak, but even as she collapsed onto her bed, she couldn’t get the forms and movements out of her head, replaying them over and over in her mind until her eyelids closed. It was unclear if this was really helping, but it gave her confidence and a hopeful outcome when the morning came.

When she awoke the next morning, she grabbed the book with her magic and proceeded towards the door, eager to put her new skill to the test. It must've been very early, at least before noon, as Boko hadn't even begun to rouse from his bud yet. Trixie was about to leave when she noticed her purple cape and hat still poking out from beneath the bed where she had left them yesterday. With a flick of her horn, she pulled them from their hiding spot.

Making her way down the hallway, Trixie soon came to the wide-open practice room where the apathetic Magus was sitting in his usual spot on the lower level, his back turned to her as he read his book. After taking a deep breath, Trixie made her way down the steps and found a small plate with a single, red-spotted muffin on it; apparently her breakfast. Crumbs littered the platter around the pastry, leading Trixie to suspect that there were once two on the plate before she arrived. After glancing over to Magus for a moment to see his disinterest, she levitated the muffin into the air before scarfing it down, tasting strawberries and nuts as she chewed.

With her tiny meal finished, Trixie moved to the center of the room and opened the book on the floor as she took up the starting stance on the first form. Almost elegantly, Trixie glided across the floor, trying her best to recall each movement. Despite following the book’s instructions that were supposed to help her magic, she couldn't help feeling somewhat silly moving around the room doing this strange dance. But if Loa was telling the truth, she should be able to cast magic more freely once this was done. Faith moved her on, the weight of her time limit pressing down had her ready to try anything.

As she moved around the room, Trixie noticed Magus’ cold glare occasionally glancing over to her; a welcome improvement from yesterday, she figured. There was no point in questioning his curiosity as he'd likely just insult her, so she continued on, moving onto her hindlegs and spinning in place. Strangely though, the longer she seemed to preform, the longer, and more frequent Magus' glances became, eventually staring straight at her as she continued, unhindered.

When she was halfway through her third form, a voice sounded behind her.

“What are you doing?” Magus said.

Glancing back, Trixie saw Magus standing before her, appearing as if he had teleported. She scowled as she turned away, moving into the next position.

“Nothing. Just trying out a new technique.” She was still upset over yesterday and his glimmer of interest was far from a proper justification for his actions.

“And where, pray tell, did you acquire knowledge of this technique?” Magus said, slowly following behind her as she moved.

“What's it to you where I learned it?” Trixie said, still moving into each formation she could recall, trying not to look at him. “It certainly wasn't from you.” Reluctantly, she looked back to see Magus levitating her book over to him, scanning the page.

“Hey! That's mine,” Trixie objected, breaking away from her dance to hastily trot over to him.

“Where did you get this?” Magus sternly demanded, flipping through page after page.

“Loa gave it to me. And I would like very much to have it back, now!”

“What did she tell you about it?” he said, closing the book to inspect the cover.

It was strange how preoccupied he was with the tome, but Trixie nonetheless answered, hopeful that she could get it back.

“Just that it teaches a technique that’s supposed to help with spell casting. Now, if you don’t mind.” Trixie reached for the book only for Magus to move it away, still scanning the hardcover. He flipped the book over and took a last look through its pages.

“This is my book.”

“No, it's mine!” Trixie responded with a scowl.

“And do you know who wrote it?” he said, turning to face her.

Shaking her head, Trixie answered, “Does it matter?”

Showing the book to her, Magus opened the cover and waved his hoof in front of it. As his hoof moved out away, a name materialized, written in the same fashion as the rest of the text. Trixie's eyes widened.

Magus, High Archmage.

“You? You wrote this?” Trixie asked looking back at him with an incredulous stare.

“These are a copy of my field notes on a system I've been perfecting,” Magus explained, closing the book.

“A technique you created?” she said with uncertainty.

“Well, what do you believe an Archmage does all day? This isn't the first form of sorcery I've invented.”

“So, why haven’t you been teaching this to me?” Trixie asked. “Is this what you've been working on this whole time?”

“No, of course not! …This was before that,” he said solemnly, looking away with a blank stare. As if realizing what he’d just said, Magus’ eyes widened and he glared back at Trixie. “And it's none of your business!” Shutting the book, Magus stormed past her, heading for the stairs as he levitated it with him.

“Wait! Where are you going?” Trixie said, turning towards him. “That book belongs to me!”

Magus stopped just as he set a hoof on the first step.

“While I’m unsure as to where and how Loa acquired my notes,” he said, glancing back at her, “they’re still my personal property and I can forbid any from using them if I so wish.” With that, Magus started up the steps.

“You can't do that!” Trixie shouted, taking a step forward and grabbing the book with her own magic; encapsulating it in a mix of red and pink. Magus stopped as he jerked back from the demonstration of defiance.

Silently, Magus stared back at her with his piercing scowl.

“You're supposed to teach me magic, whether you want to or not, and if your notes help me learn, then what right do you have to deny me them?”

“This skill is highly experimental and not meant to be tested by an acolyte.”

“Then what do you care if I use it or not? If I succeed, I'll prove it was successful and if I fail, you'll at least be rid of me. What do you have to lose?”

Magus stared at her for a minute, observing her unflinching dedication.

“You truly are a persistent one.” Magus released the book from his spell, allowing it to float back to her as he said, “And an aggravatingly infuriating one at that.”

“Very well,” he said as she took back the tome. “You want to use it so badly? Fine, but if you must use my technique then you should at least get your stance right.”

“Excuse me?” Trixie said with narrowed eyes, detecting an insult.

“You're opening stance is all wrong, your movements are sloppy, to say the least, and your hoof placement is simply dreadful,” he said as he approached her. He passed by her as she watched him closely. Now standing in the center of the room, Magus looked back at her and let out a heavy sigh.

“If you're going to use a technique that I've created, then, you’re going to learn to treat it with respect and use it properly. I can't stand to see my own work reduced to, whatever it is you would call that horrid shamble from earlier.” He beckoned her closer with a slight wave.

Hesitating at first, Trixie approached, keeping a probing gaze on him. If she didn't know any better, she would think Magus actually wanted to teach her now, despite the preliminary taunts.

“Assume the Radix Stance,” he instructed.

“The what?”

“The first form, of course,” he said with a sigh. “If we’re going to fix this travesty then the first movement is a good place to start.”

Conscious of Magus' historically sporadic behavior, Trixie carefully sat the book down with a furrowed brow and a cautious gaze locked on him. She could easily recall the opening stance, and quickly adopted it, placing her legs and moving her head to the correct angle.

“No, no, no,” Magus said, shaking his head as he moved towards her. “All wrong. You're left foreleg should be here, you must widened your stance, keep your head up, and straighten your back for goodness sake! You’re preforming an artistic motion, not brawling with drunken, country yokels.” Magus moved around her, correcting her legs, head, and back. “Now, enter into the second phase.”

Trixie shifted her weight and took the next step, moving according to what she could recall.

“Stop!” he said before she was halfway through the movement. Trixie looked over to him as he said, “You mustn't force the change. It must be fluent.” He took up position next to her and assumed the starting stance as Trixie watched.

“Observe,” he said as he slowly moved in a similar, yet admittedly more relaxed manner. “I’m not rushing it, not forcing it. Nothing else matters right now but this. Forget your troubles and just move.”

“But how can I—”

“Just, move,” he repeated, glancing over.

Trixie watched closely as he made the move again, taking note of his effortless steps. As Magus re-assumed the starting stance once more, she followed suit until their forms were identical. Magus inspected her stance as they stood shoulder to shoulder. When he was satisfied, he gave an approving glance.

“Ready?” he asked. Checking her footing once more, Trixie looked to Magus and nodded. “And, step forward,” he instructed as they moved. Much to Trixie’s surprise, they moved almost in unison into the second form, then the next, and the next.

For what seemed like hours, the two performed the enchanting dance. It took Trixie a few attempts to get some of the moves right, but eventually, she perfected it with Magus’ help. The stallion continued to match her step by step, only breaking away to reposition and correct her. They remained on the first form for quite some time as per Magus’ instructions, apparently unsatisfied with her execution as they ran it again. Trixie frowned, but held her tongue, having the strangest feeling that, somehow, she was making actual progress. And having her normally inattentive master standing right beside her, helping almost every step of the way, was a welcome change.

It was hard to explain, but Trixie could swear that, through his callous expression, she could see a hint of joy. Then again, she was probably seeing things. Eventually, they moved on to the next form and the process was repeated.