• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 3,960 Views, 137 Comments

True Magic - CodeMonkey



A lone mare discovers the untold secrets of true magic.

  • ...
8
 137
 3,960

Chapter 10 - The Magician’s New Clothes

Chapter 10 - The Magician’s New Clothes

After a few minutes of wandering the streets, Trixie began to get impatient. Haven was still an impressive sight, but the seemingly pointless walking was becoming a pain. “Why are we here, exactly…Master?” she said, having trouble saying the last word clearly.

Magus stopped and turned to face a store among the row of buildings. “Firstly, for this,” Magus said, looking up at a sign on the front of the building.

Trixie looked to the building and read the brightly decorated sign above the entrance: Madam Vogue’s Finery for Every Circumstance. “A clothing shop?” Trixie said, unsure as to why they were at a boutique in the first place. “You brought me to a magical world, to go shopping for clothes?” she sounded shocked and confused.

“Not entirely, but yes of course. If you’re going to be practicing magic under my tutelage, you’ll want to look the part.”

Trixie skeptically looked at him with an eyebrow raised.

“I assure you,” he said, glancing over, “these wears are far from the ordinary attire you are used to.” Magus began walking to the door as he said, “Besides, can’t have you walking around wearing nothing. There is a possibility that you will become a Circle Mage after all.”

“What do you mean ‘a possibility’?” Trixie responded curiously as she followed.

Magus didn’t answer, behaving as if he didn’t hear her. She knew he heard her and was just refusing to answer. Proving that he wasn’t willing to tell her everything, no matter what he promised the night before.

A bell rang as Magus opened the door, signaling their arrival to whoever was present. As they entered, Trixie could already see rows of various decorative outfits, worn by mannequins, lined up along the wall next to the entrance, leading to a long elegant counter at the far side of the room with a sophisticated-looking register and service bell sitting on top. A large staircase rising to a second story sat right behind the counter with a fancy rug following its steps up. The store looked luxurious with posh walls and ornate decorations spread out everywhere. It seemed as if they were in a high-class house rather than a store that sold clothes. A tall archway on one side of the room led to a different part of the store, likely where the rest of the clothes were kept. Despite how regal the store looked, Trixie almost gagged on the overwhelming smell of lavender that filled the room.

When they approached the counter, Magus rang the small bell. Trixie tried not to look around too much, in case another overly joyful ghost should appear out of nowhere to startle her again. When nopony answered the ring, Magus rang the bell again, sending another chime through the apparently empty store.

Before the sound of the bell could fade once again, a crotchety mare’s voice cried out from the floor above, “Summer! We have a customer! Hurry up you lazy filly!” A moment later, a cream colored earth mare rushed through the archway into the room with a large roll of fabric sitting on her back.

“I got it Madam!” the mare wearily shouted upstairs. She looked exhausted, her blonde mane in disarray, as if she had been galloping around nonstop. Setting the roll down, she hastily fixed her mane before approaching the counter with a tired smile. “My sincerest apologies,” she said as she panted slowly, trying to catch her breath. “What can I do for you today?” It sounded like the air was sucked from her lungs and she was about collapse at any moment.

Magus took no notice of her stressed behavior as he continued on as usual. “Yes, we are seeking a wardrobe for my companion. Nothing too extravagant, just something for an initiate in training.”

Summer’s eyes lit up at that moment as she looked to Trixie, “You’re an Initiate? Congratulations, I hope you do well. I hope you pass, I mean.”

Trixie smiled slightly, appreciating the warm reception, but was confused with something she said. “Thanks, but pass what exactly?” Trixie said.

“Oh it’s nothing you have to worry about I’m sure. But if you’re looking for an outfit then you came to right place,” Summer said with a more upbeat attitude than before. “We’re the best boutique in town. The Madam has many outfits in every shape and size that I’m sure you’ll love. Right this way.” She walked toward the archway as Magus and Trixie followed.

Before they passed through the arch, Magus said, “Your services are appreciated Miss… Summer, was it?”

Summer quickly looked back in a fluster, realizing what she had forgotten to say. “Oh! Yes, sorry. My name is Summer, Summer Rose. It’s pleasure to meet you-uh-um…”

“Magus. And this is my Initiate Trixie.”

Summer stopped and turned around to face the robed stallion, looking as if she had seen a ghost. “Magus!? As in, Magus The Emperor of the Crimson Flame?”

Magus rolled his eyes as he softly groaned. “Yes, I have been known to go by that…particular title from time to time,” he said with little enthusiasm for his fame, appearing as if just thinking about his extravagant title caused him pain and irritation.

“Oh my gosh!” she said, excited by his answer. “We’ve never had a celebrity in here before, or at least as long as I’ve been here we haven’t. It is a honor, no, a privilege to--”

“Please, Miss Rose,” Magus began, “I am just another customer, not a celebrity. I ask that you treat me as you would any other.”

“Oh, sorry sir. I didn’t mean to--”

“It’s quite alright,” Magus said, raising a hoof to stop her drawn out apology. “Just show us your wares, if you please.”

“Of-of course, um, this way, uh, sir.” Her face turned red in embarrassment as she turned back around and continued walking.

Trixie gave Magus a wry look, as she said with amusement, “The Emperor of the Crimson Flame?”

He groaned loudly at the sound of the name. “It’s nothing, disregard it,” Magus said sternly before continuing to follow the shopkeeper.

Trixie quietly giggled to herself, glad to find that the hardhearted pony had something he was embarrassed about. It would have been better if she was recognized as well, but the look on his face would suffice for now. She continued to the next room alongside her renowned Master.

The next room was much larger than the front, filled with rows of mannequins wearing flashy robes, capes, and other clothing. Sunlight shone through the large, arched windows at the far side of the room, illuminating the space with light. The walls were covered with an elegant flower and ivy pattern that almost looked real.

“Not to brag,” Summer began, walking though the rows of mannequins, “but I personally designed all the outfits in this room.”

“All of these?” Trixie said astonished, looking around at all the clothes in the room. There were too many of the ensembles to count, making it hard to believe that one mare would be able to make all of these.

“Well, I’m still in training and the Madam wants me to work non-stop on improving my skills. But, I hope to become a great seamstress someday and open a shop like this.”

Looking around the room, Magus said, “If you keep this up, you will be.” Trixie was amazed to actually hear two compliments from him in one day. It would have been better if they were both directed to her, but all the same she was surprised.

“Th-thank you, sir!” Summer said, a little stunned at hearing such praise. With a smile on her face, her walk seemed to get more energetic and joyful, as if there were springs attached to the bottoms of her hooves.

Summer led them to a mannequin wearing a white-and-blue-bordered cape with a small, pointed hat of similar color and design.

“I just finished this the other day,” she said proudly, waving a hoof over to the outfit as if presenting it in a showy manner. “The Sleet Outfit would be a perfect choice for somepony new to magic.”

As Trixie approached to get a better look at the ensemble, she quickly stopped and staggered back in shock at the sudden freezing atmosphere radiating from the clothes.

The salespony showed concern when she saw her reaction. “Is there something wrong Miss? Is the outfit not to your liking?”

“No, it’s not that,” Trixie said. “It’s just the air around it is very cold.”

“Oh, well that’s because the outfit is more suited for ice-based magic.”

“…What?”

As Summer looked at her quizzically, as if she found her question confusing, Magus stepped in and said to the earth mare, “My apologies, Miss Rose, I haven’t had the time to explain to her what enchantments are yet.”

Appalled at what he just said, Trixie responded irritably, “Excuse me, Master, but I’m not completely uneducated in magic. I happen to know what an enchantment is.”

She got his attention almost immediately as Magus looked at her with and eyebrow raised at her bold behavior. “Then please, enlighten us of your insurmountable knowledge on the subject,” he said, sounding as if he was faking an impressed tone of voice.

Trixie scoffed at his challenge as she confidently said, “Enchanting is the art of placing a magical effect on an object. To empower said object with a spell that alters its normal qualities.”

He silently analyzed her, looking almost annoyed that she would know something about magic. After a moment he shrugged, “Hm, close enough I suppose.”

She scoffed again before looking away in frustration, finding it pointless to try to impress the stallion in any way besides her uncanny ability to sense the Circle's power. Not wanting to even look at him any longer, Trixie turned away in frustration, ending the conversation with an uneasy silence as Magus scowled at her.

The earth pony’s eyes darted between the two before clearing her throat loudly, attempting to break the silent tension. “Well, uh, as you can guess each outfit is enchanted with a particular spell that will help when casting magic of the same type as the enchantment,” Summer said, even though nopony appeared to be paying attention. When she saw that neither of them appeared interested, she uneasily said, “Maybe you would like to see our other--”

“Summer, you stupid girl!” shouted a familiar, crotchety voice. “What are you doing?”

Their attention quickly turned to the archway, where a lavishly dressed unicorn mare stood. She wore an elegant white dress with a bright emerald color along its edges. Her dark blue mane was styled in way that would make even the most fabulous mares in Canterlot jealous. An abundance of make-up painted her face with thick, black eyeliner and a subtle hint of blush, though it couldn’t cover up her angered expression. Through the openings in her attire, her magnificently groomed, teal coat shined in the sunlight as she entered the room, scowling at the nervous mare.

“M-M-Madam!” Summer said in panic. “Wh-what are you--”

“Be quiet!” she sharply demanded before turning to Magus, a smile cracking across her overly caked face. “I’m so very sorry you had to endure my assistant’s ignorance, great mage. She can be quite the ignoramus at times.” Before Magus had time to respond to her rude comment, the mare glanced over to her assistant and quietly shouted, “Show some respect! Do you have any idea who this is!?”

“Uh, well, yes Madam. This is Magus and his--”

“Master Magus!” she joylessly shouted turning back to him, sounding as if she didn’t know who he was until now. “It’s an honor. I am Madam Vogue, proprietor of this boutique,” she said, followed by a bow of her head. “How may I assist you? A new robe perhaps?”

The stallion observed the disrespectful mare for a moment before answering solemnly, “Yes, but for her.” Magus gestured to Trixie, who gave the owner a dirty look.

Madam Vogue didn’t acknowledge her at all, her attention completely focused on Magus. “Of course, Master Magus. Allow me to show you to our high-quality room, the ones here are trash in comparison.”

It was subtle and brief, but Trixie noticed Summer pinning her ears back and looking to the floor in disappointment at her hurtful words. The young, once upbeat, mare said nothing as her boss besmirched her hard work. For as much of a jerk as Magus could be, Trixie didn’t believe he would ever be as rude or inconsiderate as this cranky mare was behaving. Then again, if he was, Trixie wouldn’t hesitate to talk his ear off, fire magic or not. Suddenly, having Magus for a Master didn’t seem all that bad.

The Madam appeared to take no notice of Trixie as she continued on past her in a happy mood. She turned around briefly, her blue eyes lighting up in delight, to say, “Right this way.” With another bow of her head the Madam turned around and started to the back of the room. They began following the fawning mare with Summer following as far behind them as she could, appearing uncomfortable with her boss’ presence.

Madam Vogue led them to the back room, where a set of doors stood. She threw them open with pride, revealing a smaller room where more elaborate clothes were being displayed, but many were more unsightly than extraordinary.

Even Magus raised a questioning eyebrow to the unusual designs before him. “These,” he said before clearing his throat, “outfits, look quite…” He tried to find the correct word to express what he was seeing.

“Hideous?” Trixie said under her breath with a small smirk as she looked over at him.

“Unique,” he said, glancing over to her for a moment.

“Aren’t they?” the Madam smugly said, apparently not hearing what Trixie had muttered. “I get orders all the time for my amazing work. These designs are on sale for only the most special of customers, such as yourself, sir.”

“I see,” Magus said. “And when is it you receive orders for something like…these?”

“Oh, all the time, Master Magus. But, usually for clients around the time that Equestrian holiday starts. What did they call it? …Nightmare Night, I believe. Well, whatever they do during that time, they must go to plenty of high class parties to want to order my finery.”

Trixie had to stuff her hoof in her mouth to keep from laughing at the fact she not only didn't know what Nightmare Night was, but that her clients probably wore them as ridiculous holiday costumes.

A small snicker escaped her lips at the mare’s stupidity, as Magus said, trying to sound as convincing as possible, “It’s certainly a possibility.”

The witless pony smiled widely at Magus, accepting his comment as the truth, before approaching one of the mannequins that wore an extravagant, yet very ridiculous looking, outfit. “This is one of my more elaborate designs. It should help with your magic, not to mention it will look simply amazing on you, Master,” she said, still not acknowledging Trixie, even though she was no more than three feet away.

Magus bemusedly looked at the Madam. “I’ll have take your word for it, but, again, it’s not for me, it’s for--”

“Oh, of course, of course, you want know the cost. My price is a mere three-hundred bits.”

Magus’s eyes narrowed at her, looking none too pleased about her behavior. It looked as if he was about to light the clueless pony on fire. After a moment of glaring at her, Magus finally said in a strangely more cheerful tone, “Actually, I was looking for a custom outfit today.”

Madam Vogues face lit up as much as it could through her make-up, as she said, overjoyed, “Well, Master Magus, I can certainly whip something up for you in a few da--”

“I need it today,” Magus quickly said before she could finish.

The light in her face quickly faded at his statement. It was the first sign of uncertainty to be seen from the mare. “What? Today? As in today, today?” she said in disbelief.

“More like in the next couple hours,” he added.

“A-a couple h-hours?” Madam Vogue replied, stunned.

“Yes, I need it for a very special event and I do want to look my best.”

“Well, sir, I’m not sure if I--”

“I’m willing pay one-thousand bits for your services.”

“…Excuse me?” she replied, sounding as if she was about to faint at the considerable amount of money being offered.

“You are capable of completing it, aren’t you?”

The Madam was silent for a moment. “W-well…of course I am. It’s just…I had hoped for more time and--”

Magus raised an eyebrow as he said, “You are the best seamstress in Haven, are you not?”

“Y-yes, I am, but--”

“Then, you should have no trouble completing the task, correct?”

Madam Vogue was speechless as she stared wide eyed at Magus for a moment. “Uh, yes, yes of course. What, uh, what kind of ensemble were you hoping for?”

The stallion took a deep breath before saying in a speedy manner, “I require a robe, exactly like mine, made from moonglow moth silk and a cape made from emberwidow silk. The colors are to be electric crimson with harvest gold colored lining with a hint of orange along their borders. They must be in perfect sequence with each other, I cannot stress that enough. I need exactly one hundred and five, three-inch gems of every kind on the outside, set in descending order from the collar, ranging from lightest to darkest. The cape must be done the same, but in reverse order and in a different pattern. The outfit should have two, six inch, sunglow colored tassels coming off the collar. I need a metallic gold sash, spanning about three-and-a-half feet precisely. Oh, yes, and it is crucial that the sash be woven from at least two kinds of silk, but not the ones I've already mentioned. And I need this done by tonight.”

Trixie was more than a little surprised at the number of words he'd managed to rifle off in such a short amount of time. Half the things he said she couldn’t even follow. Trixie could already tell he was misleading her with the wild order, as she couldn’t see him wearing such a gaudy piece. It wouldn’t be something even she would wear. She tried muffling a laugh when she noticed the dumbfounded expression on the Madam’s face. Her eyes appeared to be spinning as the information ran though her mind. Summer, who stood just outside the room, peaking around the corner, couldn’t help but smile at her boss’ face.

The once confident Madam Vogue stared blankly at Magus with her mouth hanging open, unsure how to respond. It appeared that she was buying his outrageous request as she attempted to speak, but with no words being pronounced. With his usual serious manner, Magus said, “Did you get all of that, Madam?”

She didn’t respond for a second, but eventually she shook out of her daze and said, “Ye-yes, of course. I--”

“Excellent, I recommend you get started then.”

“Yes, I should--”

“It’s vital you get this ensemble done quickly and perfectly. Do you have everything I require?”

“Well, I, uh, may need to trot down to the market real quick, but--”

“Then you might want to ‘hoof it’ as it were.”

It appeared as if she was caught in a daze again until her eyes eventually began darting around aimlessly, as if she wasn’t sure where she was. “Yes, yes, I must be going,” she said, anxiously. Frantically, Madam Vogue dashed past them toward the entrance, only stopping for a brief moment to look back and say, “Watch the store Summer.” The finely dressed mare soon disappeared as she rounded the corner, back into the front room. The sound of the bell ringing as the front door opened could be heard followed closely by a loud slam.

When they were alone again, Magus walked next to Summer, who still stood just outside the room, watching the archway that the Madam had dashed through with an amused smile on her face. “Now then Miss Rose,” Magus said casually, getting her attention and behaving as if nothing had happened, “my companion requires an outfit that will benefit her in training. Preferably something that will assist her in the most general type of magic. And please, nothing too flashy.”

“Of course, sir,” she said with chuckle as she smiled at him. “I believe I know just what you’re looking for.” She closed the doors to the ‘uniquely’ designed outfits and walked off toward one end of the large showroom, Magus and Trixie in tow.

Trixie trotted up next to Magus and said with a smile and an amused chuckle, “What was that?”

He glanced over to her, stating solemnly, “Nopony interrupts me.” Trixie snickered as they approached a group of less ‘distinctive’ outfits.

The clothing, worn by the nearby mannequins, was very simple, with plain capes, robes, and hats. Many of the outfits were one solid color, no design or flashy decoration anywhere to be seen.

“These are all our most basic designs with only the most fundamental enchantments,” Summer said, with her upbeat attitude returning.

“Yes,” Magus said in approval, as he inspected the fabric on one of the robes, “these will do nicely.”

“Really?” Trixie said in disbelief as she looked at each of them. “I was hoping for something more, I don’t know, eye catching.”

Without turning away from the outfit he was inspecting, Magus said, “Oh, so you’d rather look like a clown? Then perhaps we should go back to the high quality room.” Summer couldn’t help but quietly laugh to herself.

“No, just something more colorful, like yours.”

“I earned my robe from years of training and practice. You may wear something like this one day, but for now you must start simple.”

Trixie sighed as she rolled her eyes at his pompous statement as she began looking at the other outfits around her.

“This one will be sufficient,” said Magus. Trixie looked over and objected at the sight of the outfit he had chosen. It was a plain black robe, similar to his, with few features to speak of.

“That!?” Trixie protested.

“Ah,” Summer said approaching the attire with intrigue. “The Midnight. An excellent choice.”

“No, no, no,” Trixie said, taking a second look at it as she approached them. “There is no way I’m wearing that.”

“Oh?” Magus said, turning to her. “And what would be wrong with this one?”

Ignoring him, Trixie turned to Summer and said, “Do you have anything in a cape, and maybe a hat? Something that says ‘enchanting’.”

As the storekeeper nodded and went to look for the requested attire, Magus said in a jaded manner, “What are you doing?”

She scoffed before saying in a venomous tone, “If I’m going to be wearing something, I want to choose what it is, Master.”

Magus stared at her for a moment, narrowing his eyes. “Very well,” he said, sounding none too pleased about it. “I suppose that is only fair. But nothing too flamboyant, I get enough of that from you already.”

Trixie sarcastically laughed just before Summer shouted over to them, “Is this what you’re looking for?”

Looking over, they saw her standing next to a mannequin that wore a long, purple cape and a tall, pointy hat. Trixie smiled as she ran toward the ensemble, overjoyed at the sight of it. Upon closer inspection, the outfit looked almost exactly like her old one. Except for the missing stars and blue gem on the collar, she could’ve sworn that this was the one she had lost in Ponyville.

“This is perfect!” Trixie joyfully said.

“The Regal Star?” Summer said, unsure if this one was a good choice.

“I don’t care what it’s called, I’ll take this one.”

As Magus walked up to the outfit and examined it closely, he said unenthusiastically, “A cape and a hat?”

“Yeah, what’s wrong with that?” she said, looking to him with a scowl.

Magus sighed in disappointment. “Well, I was thinking more practical, as in something you could wear in any situation.”

“I can wear this in ‘any situation’.”

He groaned as he rolled his eyes at her stubbornness. “…Very well, just be aware that it won’t keep you very dry when it rains.”

With a chuckle, Summer said to Trixie, “Would you like to try it on?”

“Of course!” Trixie said with delight. “Where’s the changing room?”

“There will be no need for that,” Magus said, stepping toward the attire.

In an instant, the costume vanished from the mannequin and reappeared on Trixie. At that moment, she didn’t care about the sensation of power coursing through her, it just felt good to be wearing a cape and hat again. It made her feel great and powerful once more. It reminded her of the times she was a traveling magician, performing in cities and towns, amazing audiences with her magic. But it also reminded her of what she had lost.

Luckily, the bad memories were disrupted as Summer said, “What do you think?”

Trixie paused for a moment as she examined her new attire. Checking the lining of the cape and the hat showed that the quality was immaculate. “I love it!”

“Good,” Magus said quickly, as if he was trying to hurry the conversation along. “We’ll take it.”

The earth pony smiled and nodded, before walking back to the front of the store. Trixie laughed as Magus began to hastily followed.

Taking notice of her delight, he glanced back at her before he said, “Something the matter?”

“You want to get out of here awfully quickly,” she said slyly. “It wouldn’t have anything to do with that robe you ordered, would it?”

“Of course it does! Now hurry up,” he said, before continuing on with his hastened pace.

She chuckled to herself again, finding his worry hilarious, before following.

The mare rang up the outfit, that Trixie proudly wore, and Magus quickly paid her with a small satchel, no doubt full of bits, before hastily walking toward the door. “Excuse me, um, sir.” He stopped. “You overpaid me,” Summer said peering into the bag she held in her hooves.

Magus glimpsed back at her as she looked back up at him. “Give a portion to your superior for at least having the courtesy of being punctual. It should cover her expenses for buying everything I requested. Consider the rest a tip for you and your services.” A blush lit up Summer’s face as he looked back down at the bag, counting the bits. “Oh, yes, and tell your employer that she will start treating her staff with better care, otherwise she will no longer have my business. In addition, this is for your assistance.” Magus muttered something under his breath, causing a small scroll to appear in a burst of flames that had a red seal with a magic symbol imprinted on it. The scroll floated onto the counter in front of Summer as Magus said, “This document is a recommendation from me. It should help you in case you want to find work, and a better teacher, elsewhere. I suppose my fame might be of some use to you, at least.”

“Mag…Sir, I--” Summer began, looking between him and the scroll with her eyes wide in disbelief.

“Think nothing of it,” Magus said. “As you say, I’m quite popular in the magical world. You should have little trouble finding a job with this.” Summer was speechless as Magus finished by saying, “Good day to you, Miss Rose. I hope to see you in a better position next time we meet.”

Trixie wasn’t sure if she would show the same kindness to anypony, but found it interesting that the seemingly cold stallion could be so charitable; especially since he was paying for her outfit as well.

He looked back ahead and started to walk again. “Come now Trixie, we have many things still to do.”

As Trixie trotted up next to him, Summer shouted, “Thank you, Magus!” The bell on the door rang as they left the store and arrived back onto the city’s streets.

Looking at the silver maned stallion next to her, seeing him in a new light, Trixie thought, 'Perhaps he’s not all bad.'

“Trixie,” Magus said.

“Yes, Master,” she said, no longer feeling the same disgust for calling him Master anymore.

Magus stopped and looked over to her, fixating his gaze on her. He silently looked at her before saying calmly, “I hate that hat.”

Then again he could still be a jerk. “What?” Trixie said annoyed, the idea of him having a heart quickly faded.

“I despise showy attire. I will look into purchasing you less ostentatious headwear,” he said as he started down the street.

She scowled at him for a moment, before running ahead, having an idea of how to get back at him. Stopping and turning to face him, she kneeled and bowed her head as she sarcastically said, “Where to next, oh great Emperor of the Crimson Flame?”

Passing her by, as if not seeing her, he scoffed before he said, “You are never going to let me forget that bothersome title, are you?”

She laughed before trotting up next to him. “It’s a possibility…your highness.”

Magus snarled as Trixie laughed at his aggravation again. The two continued down the cobblestone road, off to the next shop down the road.