• Published 17th Aug 2021
  • 895 Views, 150 Comments

Costume Catastrophe - PrincessEnchanteDream



Canterlot is about to receive a change in style... whether or not the residents want it.

  • ...
2
 150
 895

Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash hummed a merry tune as she picked up her cycle from where she had left it at Sunset's and made her way back home.

Halfway there, who should she meet, but none other than the Canterlot Movie Club. Her eyebrows wrinkled in confusion. Weren't they supposed to be back at Rarity's place? And why on Earth were they dressed like the medieval ages?

Apparently, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom were just playing around with some things they found in Rarity's house. That was fine, except the fact that they had left the house unlocked and a complete mess.

Everybody present winced as Rarity's shriek of "Sweetie Belle!!" echoed around.

However, none of them were expecting the sudden burst of golden-blue magic that flew everywhere.

"Oof!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed, as the aftershock from the yellowy blue blob hit her. "What was that?"

She looked around to see the CMC were still there, and not much seemed to have changed apart from these strange blue and golden sparks flying through the air. The street lights seemed to be playing up too.

She made note of this, but something strange caught her attention. There seemed to be some rustling noise coming from below. Rainbow Dash glanced down and gasped. "What?"

Her shoes were starting to shift and drop in height. They melted downwards until they stopped just above her ankles, and then softened and tightened onto her feet like leather. The laces, front plates, and other covering parts melted away as well as the remains of her shoes turned brown, now looking like some footwear out of a fantasy movie.

Naturally, this raised the question of where the material had gone. She soon got a big clue, as her pants turned dark blue from their usual deep purple, and the rainbow colored lightning bolts faded into them. The ends of the skin tight leggings began to flare out, growing wider and wider as they came into contact with each other, merged, and then became one. This process continued up the legs until it reached the top, meaning that Rainbow Dash was now in a long, ankle length dark blue skirt.

Her reaction was one more of curiosity than concern. Her shirt and jacket melted into one another, the hood vanishing and the remaining fabric connecting the shirt to the skirt, producing a dress. The top remained at the same height as before, but a brown cloak suddenly grew from the back and flowed down to her back.

The sleeves grew longer and eventually reached her elbows, before the ends morphed into puffy cream fabric. Having taken note of this brief interruption, the sleeves then resumed their growth to her wrists, where more cream fabric emerged out and almost to the joint where her elbow stopped and her hand began.

A brown band and a quiver appeared on her waist, followed by a bow materializing on her back.

Rainbow looked over herself as the skirt flared out a little more as another one flowed down inside it. Mercifully, it didn't grow any bigger, and she found she had remarkable freedom of movement whilst wearing it.

The last part were decorations appearing on parts of the skirt. "Check me out!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. "Good thing I didn't get a stupid dress. At least I can run in this!"

She suddenly looked over to the CMC, who had seemingly undergone their own transformation whilst she had been observing her own. At least, based on how they were excitedly chatting to one another. More large sparks flew through the air as they spoke.

"Err, guys?" Rainbow Dash asked, attracting their attention. "Any idea what's going on here?"

Sweetie Belle spoke up. "Well, it sounds as though Rarity got a bit mad. Maybe a connection there?"

"Bit?" Apple Bloom asked skeptically. "Sweetie, Rarity is a whole lotta mad at us."

"How bout’ we talk to the Princess?" Scootaloo suggested.

"Yeah, we probably should," Rainbow Dash replied, collecting together her things. "I'll head to the portal and see if I can raise her, and you guys see if anybody else needs help!"

The teams all set off in different directions. Rainbow Dash grumbled to herself as she ran along, the wind whistling through her skirts. "Just trust Sunset to choose today of all days to go to Everfree Lake!"

More of the strange sparks floated through the air, and she heard exclamations of surprise and confusion from within buildings she passed. At last, she reached the school, and it seemed as though she was in luck. The portal, surrounded by the strange light fragments, was active and glowing, and as she approached, it started to shimmer and glimmer.

Rainbow's face dropped when she saw who stepped through.


Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom quickly made their way over to the other side of the city. Not far from Rarity’s, they came across Fluttershy, who was dressed in a ballgown version of Snow White's dress.

“Girls!” Fluttershy exclaimed in surprise. “Oh my, you three too got affected by this strange magic.”

Sweetie Belle nodded solemnly. "We think Rarity's anger at us, caused her magic to go haywire."

"We were on our way to see if anyone else needed help" added Apple Bloom.

"And Rainbow Dash's clothes also changed, she's gone to the portal to find Princess Twilight," chimed in Scootaloo.

Fluttershy bobbed her head in understanding. "Well, I myself was looking for any of our other friends who might've got affected by it."

"Anyways, I'll go check on Rarity, Scoots is headed to the main city, while AB is on her way to her farm," said Sweetie Belle.

"I'll look for Twilight then."

The four of them then went in different directions to find out the mystery behind this strange magic that was spreading around Canterlot.


Sweetie Belle rushed as fast as she could on her skates to get to her house.

"Rarity?" Sweetie called out. "Rarity, where are you? RARITEEEE!!!"

"Over here, Sweetie Belle," Rarity answered from the backyard.

There was rustling of skirts as she made her way over to her sister. Both their jaws dropped open as they took in each other's appearances.

"Why hello there, Sweetie Belle," Rarity said sardonically. "So nice to see you here. Oh, wait- you weren't supposed to go anywhere at all."

Sweetie winced at her sister's tone.

"I'm sorry Rarity, I really am," she said earnestly. "We didn't mean to make such a mess, we were just bored and had nothing to do. I'm so sorry."

Rarity's face softened. "Oh alright, I forgive you girls. Next time onwards, you're not staying alone by yourself."

Sweetie Belle grinned. "Thank you, thank you Rarity! You're the best."

She bounded over and enveloped her in a hug. Rarity warmly returned it back.

"Now, let's take a look around town and see what's going on, eh?"

Rarity then reached into her dress pocket and pulled out a key.

"But first I have to lock the house. We'll clean it up later when this whole mess is sorted," she said with a pointed look.

Sweetie Belle giggled sheepishly.

Author's Note:

Rainbow Dash-

Art belongs to Fude-Chan-Art at https://www.deviantart.com/fude-chan-art/art/RQ-MLP-FiM-EQG-Rainbow-Dash-887269679.