• Published 29th Aug 2021
  • 4,219 Views, 523 Comments

First Hoof Account - TCC56



Sunset Shimmer wants to become an alicorn. The newest Princess, Cadance, obviously knows how to become one. There's only one answer: seduction.

  • ...
17
 523
 4,219

16 - Blush

The encounter was set: Thursday evening.

Cadance would cook her favorite dishes from her homeland, and Sunset would confess who she was interested in. That, in turn, would lead into Sunset proposing a date between them. She had that step planned out as well: the weekend after next was going to be the Homecoming Harvest Festival. While Canterlot obviously had nothing to harvest itself (and the event meant all the less to Sunset personally), there would still be hundreds if not thousands of ponies coming to the capitol to try and hawk their crops and goods at the cross between an auction house and a carnival. It would give them a low-intensity outing with a lot of distractions and options - as well as publicly showing that Sunset and Cadance were together. Undercutting Blueblood's claims and pushing him further away from Cadance (as well as to publicly embarrass him) was a priority for Sunset. She couldn't afford to give him any openings, and she had to make sure his defeat was undeniable.

But that would be later. Right now, the Festival was eleven days away and the dinner was in two. Cadance's words of the 'right' way to ask a pony out were echoing in Sunset's mind, and there was still one important task left too accomplish.

Sunset had to buy flowers.

Finding a good flower shop had actually been somewhat difficult: Sunset had lived in Canterlot for most of her life, but hadn't really left the Palace grounds aside from schoolwork. Heading into the commercial districts was never a thing for her, and if she had passed any flower shops on the occasions when she did? Her eyes had slid over them the same way they did the grubby homeless that Canterlot tried to pretend didn't exist.

The usual method of interrogating the staff had been out of the question as well. Rumors were circulating fast and thick about the encounter in the hallway, and Sunset being accused of childishly playing had undercut her reputation like a scythe. Going from that directly into asking for advice on flowers would ruin her forever. Fortunately, one of the sous-chefs had a guard who was sweet on her. It was easy to get a mare in love to gush about where her special somepony bought flowers from - and a lot of other things, which had eaten up a good hour of Sunset's valuable time.

So that brought her here: a side-street halfway down the mountain. The area had originally been a servant's district, where the nobility's lesser help could live out of the way of their betters. In the centuries since, it had blossomed into a bustling middle-class neighborhood that bucked Canterlot's trends with a population that wasn't majority unicorn and took pride in that fact. Pegasus and earth pony foals played with the unending vigor of youth, frolicking in piles of leaves that had fallen from trees that lined the cobblestone street.

Sunset's destination mostly blended in with the rest of the buildings around it - a solid two-story with a shop on the lower and the proprietor's living space above. The identical mixture of dark wood and faded brick facade seemed to flow from one neighboring building to the next, having all been sourced from the same places and built at the same time so many generations ago. The only thing that set the shop apart from those around it was a peaked glass roof that was visible behind it - a greenhouse of some sort that likely took up all of the space behind the building instead of the normal small fenced yard.

The inside stood out more, if for no other reason than the smell. Opening the door triggered two things: the jingle of a wind chime positioned as a bell, and an almost overwhelming barrage of flowery scents. Sap and roses and magnolia and lilac and a hundred others bombarded Sunset's nose hard enough for her to momentarily recoil. But she recovered before anypony noticed and slipped the rest of the way into the unseasonably warm shop.

For a few moments, she paused to examine some of the pots that sat on a side bench. Not what she needed today, but two weeks before Cadance had introduced Sunset to the idea of painting on things other than canvas. Their minor adventure of landscapes on glass panes had opened up Sunset's mind and now the clay pots - bearing their own colorful (if generic) acrylic colors - were attracting her attention as a new possible medium.

That review was interrupted by a timid voice from her left. "Uh. Excuse me, um..."

Sunset's ears flicked, twisting the speaker's direction.

There was a pause as the speaker cleared her throat. "Are you buying anything?" The tone wasn't clear if it had been a question or a challenge.

Deigning to look over, Sunset laid eyes on... well, it obviously couldn't be the owner. The filly confronting her was slightly younger than Sunset herself - how much was difficult to tell, given her rounded baby-face - and had the sales mannerisms of a hungry mouse. 'Green' covered most of the earth pony's traits: light green coat, a dark green mass of a mane that made it look like she was wearing a bush, and an inexperienced expression that betrayed a cross between fascination and terror. She was obviously fighting that inexperience so she could do her apparent job - but even that was ruined in short order, when her customer service glare was interrupted by the floppy yellow sunhat she wore falling down over her eyes.

Instinctively, Sunset had the urge to blow her off and say she was just looking. But the actual needs of the moment pushed her forward to deal with this nopony. "Yes, I wanted to order some flowers."

The filly's face brightened, confidence visibly surging through her. "I can help with that!"

Sunset rolled her eyes. "Yeah, that was why I was asking."

And there the confidence went, as quickly as it came. The sunhat flopped down as the earth pony instinctively drooped.

With a sigh, Sunset took a step closer. "Look, uh... what's your name?"

"Wallflower Blush," the green filly answered in a quiet mumble.

"Great, cool." Sunset stepped forward again. "Wallflower, I need to get this one right and I don't know anything about flowers. I'm betting you do, though."

A little bit of confidence crept back in, and Wallflower's head (and hat) rose slightly. "I'm okay at it. Dad's better. I usually just stay in the background and let him handle everything."

Sunset fought back her urge to grumble. "Is he here right now?"

"...no." The head went back down again.

"Then I'll take your help." Another step, and Sunset was close enough. She reached over and pushed the sunhat's brim away from Wallflower's eyes. "So get to it."

The physical contact knocked the earth filly out of her grumpy reluctance and into a moment of shock. Then her mind caught up and sent her scrambling. In a flash, she was behind the counter and pulling out paper to wrap a bouquet in. "Yes! Uh, right, right." She hesitated as she searched for the tools - pulling out a pair of shears first, then several spools of string and wire. But in spite of her obvious unease, there was a vibrant eagerness to her actions - that telltale sort when somepony was in their comfort zone. "What's the occasion?"

Very briefly, Sunset hesitated. She'd spent so long keeping her plans a secret that she almost responded to the question with defensive hostility. But she pushed that instinct down - caution was one thing, but concealing it now would only make the young florist's job harder and the work less effective. So Sunset took a steadying breath to get over herself and answered truthfully. "I'm asking somepony on a date." Glancing around, Sunset's eyes locked on her obvious choice of flower. "So what about a dozen roses?"

As soon as the words came, the filly's excitement disappeared and her face sank to a bland, grey mask. "Oh. Okay."

It was a dramatic enough change to make Sunset pause. "Something wrong with roses?"

"Nope! Nothing wrong with them." Wallflower's sickly-sweet customer service voice said otherwise, though. "If you want roses, you'll get roses. Any particular color or just standard red?"

Red rose petals were part of the filling Sunset and Cadance's favored lunchtime sandwich, but she knew that didn't mean they were the right choice for this. And there was an expert present, so why not use that? Sunset shrugged. "I guess? There's supposed to be a language of flowers - what do red roses say?"

"Low effort." The words sprang out of Wallflower's mouth faster than she could clap her hooves over it.

There was a tense moment of stunned silence before Sunset started snickering. "Really?"

That little bit of laughter pulled Wallflower's guard down again. She did it cautiously, face relaxing bit by little bit, until she managed a sardonic smile. "Everypony gets red roses. It's what every teenage colt brings to their first date and every corsage at a school dance. They're nice, but it's generic."

Sunset's eyes sparkled. This was what she wanted from an expert: knowledge she could get but would never bother to learn. "Alright then, flower filly, let's see what you can do. I need flowers to ask somepony on a date. We've known each other as friends for a while, but I want to take it to the next level. She's a romantic but I'm not, and she's worried about ponies caring more about what she can bring to the table instead of who she is."

It was a rapid-fire barrage of requirements, but Wallflower took them in stride. She was in motion as soon as Sunset started speaking, grabbing sample flowers with the confidence of a pony who had spent her whole life in that blossoming world. The laugh shared about the roses seemed to have taken off her filter and her reluctance, as well. "So how bad do you want to bang her?"

The abrupt frankness startled Sunset, completely derailing her thought process. "Excuse me?"

Wallflower held up two flowers: a white rose on the left, and a yellow jonquil in the right. "There's completely different messages for 'I find you beautiful' and 'I think you're hot'. There's a ton of nuance with flowers, so you gotta be clear on what tone you're sending."

A furious blush passed across Sunset's cheeks. "Look, I just want to tell her I'm interested in a date instead of just being friends. I'm pretty sure hopping past that will just make things weird." And likely scare off the gun-shy Cadance.

"Huh." Wallflower scratched her chin with the thorny rose-stem. "I figured you were bolder than that." And before Sunset could object, the florist shrugged and closed that part of the conversation. "Well, you're the boss! Now let me see..."

Sunset struggled to recover, now completely off-balance by the filly's switch from timid and unsure to sardonic and blunt. She tried to justify it as the earth pony being in her element, but that only went so far. "Just don't overdo it, alright? I've spent a lot of time building up to this and I don't want flower choice to ruin it."

Wallflower didn't react at first - her head was deep in a bin, sorting. When she did raise her head back up, she had a sprig of small white flowers with yellow centers in her teeth (and some baby's breath stuck in her hat.) It was set on the counter between them, the concerns utterly ignored. "Acacia blossom, for concealed love. It tells her you've been thinking about this for a while but weren't sure how to say it."

A pause. Sunset rolled over her planned confession in her mind. Yes - yes, that fit. It was a good point to start from. "But I wasn't sure of it. I wouldn't call it love but I wasn't certain if I was interested or not."

Nodding, the earth pony turned to a nearby planter. "Forsythia," she definitively stated. A quick pull with her mouth, a turn, and she placed a yellow flower with four long, thin petals down. "Signifies anticipation." Then she twisted the other way and pulled out a small evergreen branch with tight blue-ish flower buds. "And arborvitae - unchanging friendship. You want to move forward but you're afraid the answer will ruin your friendship."

Sunset shifted uneasily. That was remarkably accurate. "Uh. Well, I'm not afraid-afraid." A little voice in the back of Sunset's head unhelpfully insisted she wasn't afraid of anything.

Wallflower didn't pay any attention to the objection. She was obviously in the zone and wasn't going to be held back by petty things like another pony's thoughts. "And then yellow iris." That one sent her trotting across the room with her hat flapping like pegasus wings. And she was almost pegasus fast to grab a stem from the far side and bringing it back. Sunset just watched, waiting for the reasoning behind this one. "Iris traditionally means hopefulness," Wallflower answered as she returned. "But yellow instead of blue also indicates passion."

Reflexively recalling the comment a few minutes before, Sunset tried to counter the suggestion. "I'm not trying to--"

And she was immediately cut off. "You want passion, fire-mane." Wallflower insisted a bit too strongly. "Or do you think she's going to like you more if you're boring?"

A quick spark flew, threatening to ignite Sunset's temper. "Hey! I am not boring! She would never think I was boring!"

"Then passion works." Wallflower put the yellow iris down with firm authority.

Only for Sunset to forcefully put her hoof on the bloom. "No. I am not doing that. I've put in way too much work for this to fail because I pushed too hard." Her teeth clenched, only just holding herself in check. "Not over one stupid flower."

Wallflower recoiled from the heat of Sunset's anger. That professional confidence disappeared and was replaced by shock - and then by sullen compliance. The yellow iris - now partially crushed - was taken off the counter. "Alright, alright." Then her voice dropped to a near-hiss. "You don't have to be such a big meanie."

Sunset closed her eyes and took a single, long breath. She needed the florist right now. Getting angry at her would only hurt things. "So concealed love, anticipation, unchanging friendship." She opened her eyes and looked at the counter. "Lots of white, yellow, and green. Maybe something, uh. Blue-ish?"

The complete lack of enthusiasm on Wallflower's face spoke more than her words could - as did the way she practically slapped another flower down on the counter. This one was pink: broad, deep pink petals, with the interior speckled by darker spots. "Azalea," she pronounced. "Signifies fragile passion and temperance. Because you're so afraid of breaking everything."

A part of Sunset wanted to object and yell again about her lack of fear - but the florist wasn't wrong. It was a good fit. So Sunset nodded.

Wallflower bunched the four flowers together, laying them side by side. "Done. When do you need it?"

"Thursday." That answer was easy. "For dinner."

A sharp, impersonal nod in response. "You can pick it up at three," she spat.

They were silent for a moment - Wallflower obviously waiting for Sunset to leave, while Sunset herself hesitated. The flowers were important and having them put together by an angry florist could backfire. Now was not the time for taking chances.

So Sunset swallowed her pride - at least a little. "Actually since we're done with that, I'm wondering if you could help me with another order?"

An unamused eyebrow raise was her response.

"There's this colt who won't get the hint," Sunset continued. "I'm hoping that since you know this flower language you can help me put together something for him." She paused, hoping that she'd read the earth pony's personality right. "What goes into a bouquet that says 'you're a moron and I hope you eat glass'?"

Wallflower slowly smiled a gleeful, evil smile.

Author's Note:

Apologies for being a week off schedule - Jinglemas required a bit of extra effort, so I had to slightly delay here. Should be back on track after this, though!

Oh. In case it was missed, this entire chapter is basically a tribute to Sledge115's awesome Wallflower of Canterlot. She won't be more than guest starring (if she reappears later at all) but this was too good an opportunity not to.