• Published 5th Aug 2021
  • 1,690 Views, 37 Comments

Forty Two - TCC56



Twilight asks: What is the meaning of an immortal life?

  • ...
3
 37
 1,690

Chapter 1

Twilight looked around the room at her fellows - beings outside of time all. The flickering light of the fireplace cast their expressions into dark relief as they all enjoyed a drink in the quiet of the cabin within the quiet of the woods within the quiet within the most remote wilderness within the haze of dreams.

The cabin was the Platonic ideal of a log cabin in the middle of nowhere: cozy, warmed by a crackling fireplace, stocked well with plush chairs and rustic wood furniture. Outside the nearest source of light was the stars, and the woods that surrounded them were alive with crickets and night birds. Various drinks lay around - from a bottle of wine in a small ice bucket to a tea kettle in a knit beige cozy - as did a variety of light snacks of a dozen stripes. In short, it was the perfect end to a lazy day away from the hustle and bustle of Canterlot - deep into the sleepy night. Just the right chance for a group of immortals to relax and have a chat once they were all settled.

But Twilight wasn't in the mood for light conversation - the thoughts on her mind were heavy, and that meant the conversation was going to be as well. It was why they were gathered, after all.

"What," she started, "Do our lives mean?"

The words were a hammerblow that broke their silent wait. All four of the others turned to their youngest member with curiosity, waiting for her to elaborate.

Twilight took a breath before clarifying her question. "We live forever. We're eternal. Normally a pony will measure their life in milestones and achievements, trying to reach their deathbed able to say it was a life well lived. We can't, because we'll never be there - we have no end point. So does that change how we find meaning?"

The first to answer was Discord - ever impulsive, unable to be restrained even as he lounged slightly above an overstuffed easy chair.. "Life is joy," he declared, looking thoughtfully into his illogical mug of mocha marmalade. "And I am an endless party."

Turning to him, the other four waited to let him speak his piece. As ever himself, Discord was more than happy to keep talking. "We have infinite moments and each one is given meaning by what we do. So - the purpose is to enjoy those moments as much as we possibly can."

The draconequus paused to sip his impossible drink. "Once I would have claimed it was only my moments that counted, but now I know that was a mistake. But it doesn't change the truth - what meaning we have is from enjoying those moments. Short, long, mortal, infinite - that doesn't matter. It's joy. Fun. Making the most out of each second we have."

He held the finger of his paw over the mug and then squeezed his own thumb down with a third hand, causing a refill to dispense out of the fingertip and top his drink off. "Mortals do it to make the most out of every moment of their lives. Just because we have more moments doesn't mean we should squander them."

The other four nodded silently, giving one more chance for Discord to continue. But it seemed he was finished - judging both by his silence and the smug look on his face.

So it was Cadance who voiced her opinion next. "Life," she started, "Is your legacy. I am the light in a newborn foal's eyes as they see the world that has been created for them." She paused, gathering her thoughts. "Every creature leaves an indelible impact on those around it through their actions, deeds and works. The world as it is relies on that legacy, and even the smallest actions can lead to great things."

Cadance sipped her wine before holding the glass up to examine in the firelight. "A stallion gives a slightly larger than normal tip when he buys his morning coffee on the way to work. That makes the barista smile brighter. That smile inspires a musician busking outside, who writes it into one of his songs. That song gets played in the park during a couple's date, giving them the excuse to kiss. Their eventual foal grows up and saves a pony's life because they learned CPR - and in turn, the pony saved invents a new medicine that saves a million lives. All because somepony paid a half-bit extra for their coffee."

On the other side of the room, Discord chuckled. "Such an amazingly unlikely string of events. I thought chaos was my territory."

"Unlikely but every day has a million such occurrences." Cadance didn't budge on that. "To create the world as we know it requires a string of countless coincidences and unlikely events stretching back to the beginning of time. We all create our legacy that way - by making a mark on the world, even a small one."

She turned her head to Twilight. "And it's the same for us as it is for mortals. Just because we'll see the results of our legacy doesn't make it mean less. Is a child lesser just because their parent is around to watch them grow? Does the painter's work only evoke beauty after they've died?" Cadance shook her head. "The one thing Discord and I agree on is that there's no difference between what life means to us and what it means to mortals. We just have the luxury of more time to create and the opportunity to see first-hoof what our actions bring about a dozen generations later."

"I disagree," chimed in Celestia. The others quieted as she began to speak. "Our existence is not merely a mortal one stretched out - we are entirely different. The things we have seen; do see; will see - they're not a perspective that any mortal could comprehend."

The room's attention came to her - to her chair by the crackling fire that paled before The Sun Incarnate. Celestia languidly set her teacup aside and instead picked up the now empty popcorn bowl. Then, solemnly, she began. "Life is my little ponies."

Discord started snickering, and quietly continued even when they glared at him.

"I am a bowl in a storm," Celestia continued in spite of the interruption. She held up the popcorn bowl, showing it off as a demonstration. Her horn lit as well, pulling a single droplet of condensation from the side of the wine bottle. "I myself am empty, but each life I encounter is a raindrop. They fall from the sky, live for a brief moment, and then strike the ground and vanish forever." The droplet she had collected hovered in the air, catching the warm firelight in it. "But each one is beautiful - if you look at a raindrop closely, it carries with it a million colors. Each one brings life to the world around it - nourishing the earth and all that grows. And while each drop is miniscule compared to the scale of the world, together they can wear down any mountain and wash away any obstacle."

The tiny droplet fell from her magic, disappearing into the comparatively massive bowl. "The bowl, to have meaning, must be filled. And each raindrop does so until the bowl is overflowing with life and beauty. Each drop is individually fleeting - absorbed into the earth where it falls; running through a stormdrain to join a river that will join the sea; caught in a container where it will eventually evaporate. But combined, they are what give our lives meaning - even if they are part of it only briefly."

Setting aside the bowl and picking her teacup once more, Celestia concluded her lecture. "We are nothing like a mortal, but at the same time they are what give us substance and form. Without them, we would be empty shells."

Beside her, Luna snorted.

Celestia raised a questioning eyebrow. "Your opinion differs, sister?"

"Dramatically," was the Moon's reply.

Obligingly, Celestia motioned with her teacup to pass the opening to her sister.

Luna needed no allowance to begin. "Life is creation. I am a painting at each step of its development - from blank canvas to final work. I understand why you have your opinion, sister, but I cannot agree with it. If companionship was required, I would not have survived a thousand years without it."

Celestia flinched.

Appeasingly, Luna reached over and put her hoof on her sister's. "Apologies for the bluntness." Then she turned herself back to the topic proper. "Like Cadance, I believe that the value is in what we create - though not things as ephemeral as a butterfly's wings altering the path of a hurricane. Nor do I agree that it is the length of our achievements that make it of value."

She levitated another marshmallow over, dropping it into her hot chocolate. "She asks - does the painter's work only evoke beauty after they have died? And to that I reply that the truth is the opposite: the work is lesser without the artist. One may enjoy listening to a symphony, but little compares to the pride at having composed one. And creating is more than simple joy," she remarked with a glance toward the smug Discord. "A work can evoke a great range of emotions - from depression to wistfulness to fear - and so the creator can feel much the same."

"But," interrupted Cadance, "Why do you say the art means less without the one that created it? Surely a poem will still move hearts a hundred years after it's written."

Luna nodded her head slightly. "It would. But it is the heart closest to it that could not be moved any longer. There is a bond between an artist and their work that no observer can replicate. One who listens to a symphony can appreciate it, but they did not pour their very soul into its creation. By their nature they are more distant." She turned her head to look at each of the others in slow turn. "But do not think for a moment I speak only of finer side. A plumber is as much an artist as a sculptor - their work is about efficiency and precision more than grace and beauty, but they still create something and at the end look upon it with pride. The schoolteacher sees their creations trot from the classroom each day and feels much the same."

"It is the act of creation which gives our lives value," Luna declared. "Moreso for us than mortals. We surround ourselves with such creations and our attachments to them are what give us substance. The length of our lives provides the luxury of time to master a hundred disciplines and fill our lives with that which we create. Each creation filled with emotions and memories that both anchor us and give us life."

Finishing with a sip of her cocoa, Luna looked to the youngest of their cadre that had started the conversation. "You have heard our thoughts. What do you name yourself, Twilight Sparkle?"

There was silence for a long, long moment before Twilight spoke. "I… I want to say 'I am friendship' but friendship is…"

"Drops of water within a bowl," Celestia said.

"Joy," pronounced Discord.

"A legacy to eternity," was Cadance's declaration.

"The truest of arts," Luna stated.

Twilight shook her head. "All of them. But also none of them. Each of those ideas is a part of it, but my friends, they're…" She pursed her lips thoughtfully. "They're extensions of me. Not having one of them around is like missing a hoof. I'm incomplete." Her face fell, frown deepening.

Reaching over, Celestia touched her wing to Twilight's shoulder. "But they're mortal and you are not. There will be a day that dawns without them. That cannot be changed."

Cadance cut in, placatingly taking over. "If they're so close to you, Twilight, why wouldn't you ask them for their thoughts too? Maybe they can give an answer."

"I did." Twilight sighed, slumping a little bit. "They said--"

"Allow me." Luna lit her horn, magic grasping the dreamstuff around them to help the Bearers speak for themselves.

First was Applejack's orange form, swirling into existence beside Cadance. The farmer leaned on an unseen fence - real when the question had been asked, gone now from the phantasm. "Well, way Ah see it? Can't answer anything but family. Sure, the land might be where we make our livin', but it's in the foals - ours or the ones belonging' to the cousins and such - that really give us meanin'. They're what carries into the future, y'know?"

Pale yellow feathers formed beside Celestia as Fluttershy came to be. "Oh, it's absolutely all my little friends. The way they all depend on me and enrich my life - I couldn't imagine my life without them."

Pinkie Pie less phased into being and more popped out of the ether under Discord's floating form. "Making ponies happy, of course! Well, not just ponies. Griffons and yaks and hippogriffs and changelings and all the other creatures, too! Helping them smile is what I live for!"

"It's about creation, darling." Rarity's voice was there before her image appeared by Luna. "The occasional vacation is nice, yes, but I always feel as though I'm not entirely myself without a sketch pad or a needle in my grasp. So I would have to say that if something gave me meaning, it would be that imagination and what I can make of it."

A subtle cloud formed into Rainbow Dash, lounging over Twilight's head. "I dunno." The pegasus shrugged. "Never really thought about it. I'm way more about living in the moment." She paused. "You gonna finish those hayfries?"

Twilight reached up and batted at Rainbow, dispersing the phantasmal image.

Discord broke out into snickering. "It's funny how well they mirror us."

"But not helpful." Twilight slumped in her overstuffed chair. "I'm no closer to an answer."

Three alicorns hung their heads, lacking a better response.

Discord loudly scoffed.

"Ponies," he quipped. "Always so set on finding a single answer." He reached out, giving Twilight a nudge on the chin to look up at him. "You have an answer now. So what if that answer changes in fifty or a hundred years? The world is chaos, after all! What is true today might not be true tomorrow - if it's actually true at all. Maybe the truth right now is that there isn't an answer. There won't be one until next month or whatever." He shrugged several more shoulders than he should have reasonably had. "It's not like you can stop time until you figure it out."

Twilight half-rose from the chair in protest. "But Rarity--"

Discord cut her off with a claw on her lips. Not one attached to his body, just a spare. "Shh." He reached over to the phantasmal Rarity and plucked a single hair from her mane - a grey one. Then he leaned over to the image of Fluttershy and did the same - another grey. Holding the two up, he smiled a sad, thin smile at Twilight. "I know."

Twilight sagged.

"Perhaps an answer tomorrow," Discord reiterated with an uncharacteristic somber tone.

"And perhaps the answer is unimportant." Luna set her now empty mug down. "What matters is that we have an answer that satisfies us more than what that answer actually is. That we have meaning at all."

Twilight shifted, uneasy on her hooves. "But…"

Gently, Cadance got up to hug her sister-in-law, wrapping Twilight in her wings. "We've given you what help we can. Finding your meaning is something only you can do. I just hope our perspectives will help a little." She hesitated. "It's… not easy. If it's anything like what I had to confront, it will be the hardest thing you'll ever have to do. It will hurt. And like any serious wound, it will leave a scar."

Inside the shelter of Cadance's wings, Twilight shivered. "I'm afraid."

"I know." Cadance held her tighter. "It's going to be hard. But we'll all help you as best we can."

"Every step along the way," Celestia added quietly.

Twilight nodded, eyes tightly closed.

From her seat, Luna tilted her head. "Dawn approaches, I fear." She turned to the youngest Princess. "This time is up, but do not hesitate to seek us out further, dear Twilight. Individually or as a group, we will be there."

Taking a long, deep breath, Twilight steadied herself. "I… thank you. I will."

And one by one they blinked out as they awoke. Celestia first, to eagerly greet a dawn she didn't need to raise. Discord, leaving behind a cheshire smile. Cadance, fading out even as she held the embrace. And finally Luna as she allowed the shared dream to fade.

Twilight Sparkle opened her eyes. The sun was still down, but she didn't need it. The sleeping pony beside her was burned into her essence. She reached out, stroking her love's cheek gently.

In the final dark moments of the night, she silently lit her horn and lifted the sun.

Author's Note:

A special thanks to Bicyclette, who's Limerence put the initial seeds of this brainworm into my mind.

Comments ( 37 )

Stories like these, I can’t help but think of two songs that encapsulate what it means to be immortal. Naturally, both of them are Queen songs.

Also, perhaps Twilight’s problem is that she doesn’t know the question.

Well, I have to say, I love the emotions and messages of each of the participants. All characters, especially Rainbow at the end are very in character and have perfect answers for Twilight's question.

It's a beautiful message, however, as a story, I feel that it needed a bit more set up.

I could tell very quickly that Twilight was in a dream because there's no reason given for why they're meeting, and Twilight's question comes out of nowhere since we don't get any previous insight of her thoughts or feelings. This made me search for the reason of her question, so the mention of Rarity didn't escape me.

This could all be intentional, but it leaves the story feeling more like a lesson to the reader than a moment in Twilight's life.

Even so, it's a very good message for both.

Very well done :)

(42 or something edit: dangit, didn’t actually read title)

10928010
The long description starts with "in a shared dreamscape" so at least one part of the spoilered bit was in fact not supposed to be a surprise.

10928036
True, I was interested after reading the short-description so I missed that. Still, is less of the "surprise" and more of how it works as a story.

I personally agree with Cadance, but all five answers presented are equally valid. I imagine that, had they asked other mortals, some would also have responded with 'having faith in and serving a higher power'. Which I generally believe is no way to live.

10928055
And then Twilight explains that she was asking about her life, and they have an existential crisis because we haven't seen much hint that ponies believe in a power higher than the alicorns.

I wonder who's the love, again?

10928154
That last bit with Discord seemed to strongly imply that it was Rarity.

A very thought provoking story. My answer to the question asked would be: purpose. Life without it is meaningless. As to what it would be, well that would depend on the person.

10928036
10928048

If it helps any, in the original draft it was a surprise and I didn't give that reveal until the very end when they woke up. I eventually weaved some bits in earlier to hint at it/say that because it felt like an unnecessary twist - having that be a surprise didn't really add anything.

10928154
Purposely left vague-ish (because in the context of things, does it matter?) but yes. my two default Twilight ships tend to be either RariTwi or TwiBurst as a 'when in doubt' sort of thing.

Ooooh! Beautiful analogies, it was a pleasure reading :raritystarry:

10928208

As to what it would be, well that would depend on the person.

Ponies are better at this than humans, because cutie marks. The fact that immortality changes absolutely nothing about the equation is why Manehattan has a background alicorn (who showed up again in the clip show without fixing it, so he's canon now).

This was a very good one-shot.

Hmmm, 'greater than the sum of its parts', rings for me.

Or maybe just 'creation', this could be Rarity's IDEA moment, any foal (conception and/or birth ARE creation moments), Pinkie's party cannon going off, and more. The creation of art (or well done work) being admired by the viewer. It's all of the above and even more.

Like the Mane 5 or even the immortals, each slice given is true in itself but ... mix it all together and one approaches the real truth (maybe) ...

Or forget that destruction is also part of it, the circle of life ... to play ones part ... (there's a song there, isn't there, or more than one) ...

It was very interesting how you made Discord actually mature in his response. Not in a "speaking serious now" moment, but in the answer itself. How he used to see the world was pure hedonism, his own joy for joy's sake. But the addition of him admitting he was wrong in thinking only his moments that counted actually evolves that thought into an almost utilitarian approach to life: maximizing people's experiences (through joy). Very good stuff.

I sometimes wonder why people (Cadance, in this case) that subscribe to the usually comforting thought of the butterfly effect don't feel any bit of dread from it. Because, the inverse is also true, isn't it? Some actions can die forgotten, affecting absolutely nobody at all. It's unlikely that an act will affect nobody else, true, but as was said, "everyday a million things happen". It would be incredibly egotistical to think the only things happening in this vast number are all in-line with what you'd prefer happened.

Could just as well be that a stallion gives a slightly larger than normal tip, but the barista is so occupied with the other orders that she barely glances at it. That's not even touching on the worse alternative: the barista thinks on how her boss will take her tip and frowns unconsciously, leading to a string of negative events.

Celestia's ego-death is downright fantastic. Because it managed to both evoke a sense of eerieness, and comfort. She outright states that she is fundamentally different from her little ponies (which is chilling when taken at face value), and yet she completely relies on them to give meaning to her own life. It's a daring assertion, considering she has immortals who she considers family sitting right across from her, and yet she still puts the meaning of her life on mortals. Luna's total disagreement of that opinion makes a lot of sense.

Ah, and Luna. It's difficult to comment properly on her, because this is a topic that is inherently subjetive in nature. The "right" answer is not something that can be settled, and the story touches on that later on. However, even though the answers themselves are personal, the aspects that an answer needs to have... are not ("What's your preferred taste?" "Purple."). What you derive the meaning of your life from should at the very least be consistent with, well, life. To base your life's meaning on something that is incoherent with life is to open yourself to an array of future problems (especially when that meaning is challenged by the problems of our day-to-day. Inconsistency invites defects).

That's the mistake Luna makes in her universal assertion that "the work is lesser without the artist". Cadance, bless her smart thinking, spots an inconsistency in that line of thought and presses it. Luna justifies it again with "there is a bond between an artist and their work that no observer can replicate". But with that answer, Luna just moved the inconsistency to another step in her logic. And that step is demonstrably untrue:

"An artist is bored. They pick up a couple of paints and slather them onto the canvass. It entertains them for a while, but ultimately, they get bored again. The painting is thrown out the window, completely forgotten by the artist. A passer-by, however, happens upon it and is just floored. They adore the painting. They pick it up and spend the next year of their life analyzing it. Documenting it. Restoring it where it flakes and fixing it where it breaks. They bring it to a museum, and get a job explaining that piece of art to newer generations. The original artist, unknown to everyone else, died long ago."

Now, is the work lesser without the artist that forgot it even existed? Was there a bond between the artist and the art that this observer could not replicate? Or did the bond the obrserver forge on their own become even stronger and deeper than that of the artist?

Funnily enough, in that hypothetical, the observer is the one who Luna would have to admit is "pouring their soul into a piece of art". The original artist, though? Irrelevant. Could be anyone, any name, any face, any background, any philosophy, any soul.

These are questions that, no matter how subjetive the end-goal, Luna's meaning ignores.

However, it satisfies her, so it's not a problem... except this type of satisfaction edges too close to "ignorance is bliss" to be healthy. You could say Rainbow is also doing an "ignorance is bliss" bit, but on her side, there are no assertions. Rainbow does not dare give, nor seek, an answer. Luna, however, does.

Basically, having no answer is an acceptable stage of life. Having an answer that ignores its own flaws in reasoning would be a stage you want to move away from as fast as possible.

***

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but having the two most "mature" opinions on the meaning of life be given by the two most experienced beings in the story was a very nice touch.

This was a very pleasant read that tickles the brain just right. Very good job, TCC.

I honestly thought this was going to have a comedic ending with twilight simply responding with, “life is… 42.” Leaving the rest in stunned silence.
This was (in my opinion) a better and more introspective ending but nevertheless it took the wind out of my sails to not hear anyone answer with, “42.”
Regardless, beautiful little story! I’m glad to have read it!

10929669

Hello. Why "42" ? Is it a reference ?

10929837
It’s a reference to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Where the underwhelming answer to the question of the meaning of life is just that, the number 42.

10929867

Hello. Okay. Thanks a lot, I understand now.

10929905
This is found unsatisfying by the civilization who built the supercomputer that figured out the Answer, so (at its suggestion) they build an even bigger supercomputer to figure out the Question to which the Answer applies to. Shenanigans ensue. :twistnerd:

10929981
And similarly, Twilight reaches the end of this story unsatisfied with the answers she's gotten.

See, I can do subtext damn it!

10929981

Okay, thanks. I didn't know that at all Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I think I'll do some more research.

Here's my question. Why Rarity? I get Twilight asked because she was in a relationship. But the pony shaped marshmallow seems to be the one who's in that spot the most.

:moustache: Ah the riddle of steel.....
:twilightsheepish:
:moustache: To drive my enemies before me and hear the lamentation of the ponies
:duck: 💕💕❤
:moustache: Look at me, I am the Princess now...
:facehoof:

10931273
You have no idea how hard it was not to insert that joke somewhere in this.

Brilliant meditations on that fundamental question, each wonderfully true to the speaker. And Discord may have the right of it. Who you are tomorrow may not be who you were yesterday, and each may live for a different reason.

Thank you for a fantastic read.

There are also two that have their own questions inside them to answer in this:

Discord has the hint of it. The grey hairs. The coming end of the one pony that had the greatest influence on his constant of a life. The one that trusted him, when no pony else would...

Cadance. Who will one day stand, and know the stallion she grew together with like that apple and pear tree on the Acres has passed on to the shadowlands; and has to support a sister without a brother, and a child without a father...even while her own division is raw and painful, and the support she had grown together with is now missing...

The worst curse you can inflict on anyone...

Immortality...

I'm making my very first attempt for Comment Club, so here we go!

So! Wow!! What a heavy read! This wasn't heavy in the sense of emotional heaviness per se (death, suffering) but it felt very heavy in a more academic sense, if that makes sense. It felt like several senior professors pontificating on their various fields of study, and so it was a little stiff to get through at times, simply because it kept going. But I think that was purposeful, because it felt very serious, and very weighty. So you succeeded in that! (And Discord's little highlights of silliness helped to break up the lectures!)

I can't say I loved Discord stepping in at the end to be all 'oh, you silly ponies!', give a head pat, and then teach them the final moral; but then, I kind of lowkey hate Discord and his pretentiousness, so you made him more tolerable than normal! I loved the references to his impossible drink, the lips being shushed by an extra hand, shrugging too many shoulders, silly little touches like that!

The only thing that confused me a little bit was Cadance pontificating with the other immortals; three of them have been immortal for at least a thousand years, but Cadance is considered equally greyed and wise because she became an immortal like, a few years ago? (Even though we are clearly having this conversation several years past the series end, it sounds like.) I liked that it finished with her hugging her sister in law (a reminder of her status as a young immortal), but it did feel a little bit out of step, knowing how young she is comparatively.

I think overall this is a wonderful read, and it's a very interesting take on what a round-table discussion might be like between many immortals. You really nail the very 'senior statesmen' type of writing voice for them! I like that it doesn't drag on and on into tens of thousands of words; they each make their point, very elegantly, and then they try to help Twilight Sparkle with her conundrum. (And then her friends try too, in their much sillier ways!) And if the answer turns out to be something as simple as 'Try Again Later', then that's an acceptable answer, too. Great job!

Howdy, hi!

Okay, so the setup for this is really interesting. I love how you characterize each of the characters in such a way that how they feel is the "answer" is radically different from each other and feels canonically like what they would say should this ever be asked of the characters in canon. Each was a truly unique perspective and one that really gets you to think over their answers and wonder about the possibilities.

This was an absolutely delightful philosophical read that I am blessed to have had the opportunity to indulge in. You really surprise me every time with how meaningful your fics can be TCC.

Thank you very much for the read!

I read this once.

I am proud to say that as of this reading, I have read this story six times. Seven, if you count this one.

A delightful read everytime I come back to it. Musing on the meaning of life, giving the characters something new for us to think of them about.

I also do love the shared dream idea - it was never explored after that Tantabus episode. It's really an intruiging idea that leaves me to wonder - can it be used in some other manner?

He held the finger of his paw over the mug and then squeezed his own thumb down with a third hand, causing a refill to dispense out of the fingertip and top his drink off.

you do a really great Discord here and throughout, as i expect from you at this point!

I understand why you have your opinion, sister, but I cannot agree with it. If companionship was required, I would not have survived a thousand years without it.

ooh, i really like this line by Luna. it's the kind of line i would like to write for her

It would. But it is the heart closest to it that could not be moved any longer. There is a bond between an artist and their work that no observer can replicate.

i definitely feel this a lot, after my experiences of writing fanfic and seeing how it was received. there were a lot of precious moments of deep connection with some of my readers, but by its nature none will be able to understand it as fully as i do because then they would be the exact same person as me. it's something that's given me a lot to think about.

Discord cut her off with a claw on her lips. Not one attached to his body, just a spare. "Shh." He reached over to the phantasmal Rarity and plucked a single hair from her mane - a grey one. Then he leaned over to the image of Fluttershy and did the same - another grey. Holding the two up, he smiled a sad, thin smile at Twilight. "I know."

oof, love this bit too. the perfect level of understatedness, very well done

In the final dark moments of the night, she silently lit her horn and lifted the sun.

and a really nice melancholy to end on. not a resolution, because there is no such thing for this, and no easy answer. just the inevitable loss and pain that we all have to deal with, if we are so lucky.

i am truly honored that a work of mine had even the tiniest hoof in the inspiration of a piece as beautiful as this. thank you, Tempest!

A thought-provoking piece.

Twilight’s dilemma hits very close to home. No, I’m not having late-night existential crises. It’s more of a thing that I’m searching for that will not come overnight, but will only come through tears, fears, regrets, and doubts. Much like Twilight finding her life’s meaning.

Beyond that, it provokes even more thought- an answer from each pony and draconequus, four respective, all with varying degrees on an intangible spectrum. To wrap it up nicely, a setting crafted from the moon princess herself, so as the question could go unhindered and undisturbed.

No doubt that the deeper concern that Twilight must’ve had while pondering this question is the realization of her friend’s mortality- since she has picked a meaning, friendship, does that mean that when her friends pass, that her meaning is lost? Only she can answer that question.

But I feel like I’m only scratching the surface of the many meanings that one could take from reading this. A droplet in a bowl, meaning nothing and something, if you will.

For me the meaning to life is to record. To capture the moments as I understand them so the future may also understand now fully and hopefully that helps them create Thier tomorrow better. So in a way it is to be a teacher, in a way it is to be an artist, in a way I am a bowl filling others enjoyment and growth of my work (even just the potential) is meaning, and also in a breathe it is carpe diem with recording and capturing tiny moments of life to relive, and I pray my existence is a butterfly wing for a distance future being created. 42 is just to find the equation at all.

A must-read. Luna (and to some extent, Discord and Cadance) resonated with me the most on this. The deviations into more haunting prose were very much appreciated. Not enough stories on this site carry the kinds of unsolved, existential elements that drive me to keep reading. Each character offered a fantastic, true-to-them piece that helps -- but it isn't an easy solution or a definite one. Discord points this out well. This mythic edge is why I write and read pony stories, and it's something absent in many fics on the site lately. Thank you for capturing that.

11523786

Luna (and to some extent, Discord and Cadance) resonated with me the most on this.

That's probably the thing that made me the most happy about this story and the biggest sign it was a success: in both the comments and in discussions, I've gotten a wide range of which characters people agree (and disagree) with.

11523847
Mhm, I’d honestly be surprised with people who agree with Celestia or see her as the one with a beyond mortal understanding of life when her view has some (fitting) codependent undertones.

Login or register to comment