• Published 21st Jul 2021
  • 212 Views, 17 Comments

The Quills and Sofas Exquisite Corpse - The Red Parade



Vapor Trail must go on an adventure to save Sky Stinger from certain doom, accompanied by a strange band of allies. Or something. I don't know, this was a mess.

  • ...
4
 17
 212

Chapter Two (TheLegendaryBillCipher)

Midnight Strike and Vapor Trail followed Angel Wings onto an elevator and up to the third floor of the Stratocumulus Hotel. The pair shared a worried glance at their teammate’s determined smirk.

When the elevator doors opened, Angel crept down the hallway, Vapor and Midnight mimicking her until they ducked behind a potted plant in the hallway. Angel motioned for them to be quiet.

They watched a burly-looking unicorn stallion wearing a security vest and sunglasses—even at that time of night—talking with someone in their hotel room. Whoever it was stayed inside, out of sight, and kept the conversation quiet.

The security guard nodded at the end of the conversation, then turned and headed their way once whoever he was talking to had shut the door. Vapor nearly let out a startled squeak as Angel shoved her and Midnight as tightly behind the plant as she could. They held their breaths as he walked past, seemingly not noticing them.

“Good, the security’s got the night off. We’re in luck,” Angel whispered.

“Security for who?” Midnight asked.

“You’ll see. Come on.”

They left their hiding spot and hurried over to the door. Angel nodded to her friends before knocking firmly.

“I sure hope you know what you’re doing,” Vapor hissed.

“Relax, just let me do the talking,” Angel replied.

The door cracked open, and a pair of magenta eyes peered out. “Yes? Can I help you?”

“Evening ma’am,” Angel said, puffing out her chest. “My name is Angel Wings, and these are my teammates Midnight Strike and Vapor Trail. We’re here on official Wonderbolts business.”

The figure behind the door huffed a sigh and opened the door the rest of the way, revealing themselves to be A.K. Yearling, dressed in pajamas. “Come on in,” she said. “Just for once I wish it was a fan coming for an autograph.”

Angel grinned at her friends and flittered, followed by Vapor and Midnight. Yearling shut the door behind them and led them over to the couch. Each promptly took a seat as Yearling plopped down in a chair.

“So, what is this ‘official Wonderbolts business?’” she asked, reaching for a cup of tea and taking a sip. “I’m guessing it’s something you ponies want off the books.”

“If at all possible,” Vapor said with a sheepish smile.

Angel cleared her throat and shook her head at Vapor, then turned to Yearling. “Way off the books,” she clarified.

“Fine, fine. What is it?” Yearling waved a dismissive hoof her way.

“Our friend and teammate Sky Stinger was ponynapped by the Las Pegasus Mafia,” Angel explained. “They sent a package to be delivered by Vapor Trail here, but we’re hoping you can help us rescue Sky without doing their dirty work.”

Yearling raised an eyebrow. “The Las Pegasus Mafia ponynapped a Wonderbolt?” she asked. She frowned with concern and set down her tea, rubbing her chin.

“Yes, and we need to get him back before he gets hurt, please,” Vapor pleaded.

“I smell an Ahuizotl-sized rat,” Yearling said plainly. “I’ve been keeping tabs on the Mafia since I came here on vacation, and this sounds like something outside of their normal M.O.”

“Since when do you keep tabs on the Mafia?” Midnight asked.

“I’m an author and adventurer. Aside from the money I make, I’ve made enough enemies in my line of work to invest in protection wards,” Yearling said. “The Mafia isn’t that elaborate. They might run a racket in one or two casinos a night and break knees for payments, but ponynapping? A high level figure like a Wonderbolt? That’s too risky.”

“So… what are you saying?” Angel asked.

“I’m saying if the Mafia’s behind this, there’s a bigger fish ordering them around.” She hopped out of the chair. “There’s an ulterior motive.”

“So, you’ll help us?” Vapor asked hopefully, watching her walk over to her suitcase.

“No.” Yearling popped it open, stowed away her glasses, and produced a pith helmet marked with arrow holes. “But Daring Do will.” She smirked at the trio as she donned it.

“Thank you!” Vapor squealed, flying over and hugging Yearling tightly.

“You’re welcome,” Yearling grunted with a chuckle as the others walked over. Vapor released her, smiling sheepishly. “So, what are we dealing with here?”

“Their operation’s at the Hotel Indigo, heavy security from what Vapor told us,” Angel explained.

Yearling turned to Vapor. “What about this package they wanted you to deliver?”

“It’s supposed to go to the Lucky Stallion Casino. Grubber told me they’d let Sky go if I delivered it,” Vapor said.

“Well, if they want a package, we’ll give them one.” Yearling smirked. “But first… I’m going to need a wardrobe change.”

******

“Any word from the Lucky Stallion Casino?” the masked pony asked Grubber as he entered the room.

Grubber shook his head. “None boss. You think the Bolt’s a no-show?”

“She’ll show. If she wants her precious teammate in one piece that is.” The masked pony smirked towards the bruised Sky Stinger, tied to a chair. “And when she does, we’ll be ready for her.”