• Published 16th Jul 2021
  • 8,737 Views, 2,844 Comments

Welcome to the jungle - Hiver



Page has some problems. Some are large with larger teeth. Some have sharp claws. Some have wings. Most are ponies. Sometimes being an alicorn is simply not worth the perks of the job, no matter how nice.

  • ...
20
 2,844
 8,737

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 59

When somebody asks if you’re a god, you say yes!

That’s the wisdom of the Ghostbusters and suddenly felt a lot less funny as I looked up at a twice life size bronze statue of myself.

It must even be fairly new as it had thestral features.

It stood at a marble pedestal next to Lunas statue, equally sized up as mine was. Hers was older. Her wings raised.

Next was Celestia, her wings raised and spread, almost seeming to cover the chamber. On her other side was Twilight and Midnight, their statues identical and mirror images of each other, one looking towards the left and the other towards the right. On their other side was Cadance and Flurry Heart.

Somepony at this temple had a good relationship with a sculptor and bronze caster. And was very, very rich.

This is so bucking strange.

“Can I help you?” An old voice asked as a griffon with golden but greying feathers approached us.

Twilight looked over towards him, the illusionary griffon disguise over her matching her motions perfectly, “We’re…”

“Curious?” He asked with a smile, “Of the divinity of alicorns or of the crazy griffons that worship them?”

“A little of both?” Sunset asked, covered by an image of a silver feathered griffon.

The older griffon nodded with a smile, “Not an uncommon way of thought,” he said and gave us a small bow, “Hopefully I will be able to assist you. I am Goldenglow, Priest of this temple.”

“I’m Garak,” I said and then motioned towards Sunset and Twilight, “This is Sunny and Sparks.”

The priest nodded, “A pleasure. It is always nice to see new griffons at the temple.”

“Why alicorns?” Sunset asked, her illusionary wings shifting slightly with a rustle of feathers.

He nodded and looked between the statues, “Because they are divine. They raise and lower the sun and moon, they guard our dreams. They guide our love and friendship. They are magic and power.”

“But…” Twilight said and glanced towards the statues, clearly uncomfortable, “But they are still just ponies?”

Goldenglow smiled and looked at her, “Are they? Ponies, I mean?”

“Looks more or less pony shaped,” I admitted and looked at the statues.

He nodded, “Indeed, but because they are ponies or because they chose to be?” he asked, “Alicorns are eternal and their powers deeply woven into the very fabric of our world. They are our gods and they deserve our respect and worship.”

This is making me really bucking uncomfortable.

“Can you tell us about them?” Sunset asked, taking half a step forward.

“But of course,” he agreed with a smile and motioned towards the statues, “Princess Celestia, Goddess of the sun and fire. Ruler of Equestria and strongest of the alicorns. Princess Luna, Goddess of the moon and darkness. Sister of Princess Celestia and wife of Prince Page. Celestia and Luna once fought for control of the skies and Luna were banished to the moon for a thousand years, but by the efforts of Princess Twilight, she was restored from the darkness.”

Uhm, That’s not quite what…

“There is Princess Cadance, Goddess of love and fertility, she rules the land of the cold crystals to the far north,” he continued and motioned towards her statue, “And the young Princess Flurry Heart whoms realm has not yet been revealed to us.”

I’m so giving Cadance a sign with that on it. She can put it on her desk.

“The twin goddesses of Twilight and Midnight, Goddesses of Magic and Friendship,” Goldenglow continued and motioned towards her, “Student of Princess Celestia, Princess Twilight has been a defender of this world, turning Princess Luna from the darkness. Her twin, Midnight, was hidden from us until recently.”

He turned and motioned towards my statue, “Prince Blank Page, God of dreams, artists and stories, husband of Princess Luna, ruler of all things in the dark of night. He slew the mighty Centaur, tamed the Changeling, ruler of the thestral ponies. He rules the monsters of the jungle and the darkest of night.”

Might be giving me a bit much credit there.

“They are here,” I said, “Prince Page and Princess Twilight. In the city.”

Goldenglow nodded, “indeed,” he said and gave our statues a bow in turn, “To mediate between us and the horrible Yeti.”

“There was a duel?” I asked, my claws scraping against the stone as I walked up to look at my statue.

Goldenglow sighed and nodded, “Yes. One of our esteemed nobles thought it was a good idea to challenge a god to a duel,” he said before his tone turned dry, “It went about as well as expected,” before he shook his head, “But we horribly disappointed Prince Blank Page by it. Watching such violence… enjoying it… he declared it to be wrong and he was right to shame us for it. Duels are an archaic custom that should be banned.”

I shifted uncomfortably at that. I mean, yes, but… I didn’t… uhm…

“How many are members of the temple?” Sunset asked as she rescued me.

He turned towards her with a smile, “Thousands, just in the capital. Many more across the lands. Not just griffons either.”

As Sunset distracted him away with questions, I shared a look with Twilight. She shifted uncomfortably and then looked at her and Midnight's statues before turning to look up at Celestia..

It wasn’t just me that thought this was… strange and more than a bit creepy then. Goody.

Because it was.

And very. very… strange.

This is uncomfortable. I want to leave now.

PreviousChapters Next