• Published 16th Jul 2021
  • 8,737 Views, 2,844 Comments

Welcome to the jungle - Hiver



Page has some problems. Some are large with larger teeth. Some have sharp claws. Some have wings. Most are ponies. Sometimes being an alicorn is simply not worth the perks of the job, no matter how nice.

  • ...
20
 2,844
 8,737

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 57

My side and hip ached beneath the bandages. The wounds were magically closed so I didn’t bleed, but that just like stitches, didn't make them healed. The pain potion helped, but they still ached as I walked and moved, it just made it easier to try to ignore.

"Are you angry with me?" I asked, looking over towards where Twilight was reading a book on the couch. Or pretending to read a book anyway considering she has been on the same page for the last ten minutes.

Twilight twitched slightly and glanced at me before she sighed and closed her book, "No! I'm..." she started before she paused and sighed, "...Maybe."

"Because the duel."

"Because you got hurt!" she exclaimed, "Don't you realize!? If he had hit you two hooves higher, those cuts would have been across your neck!"

"I do realize," I said softly and climbed off the chair, crossing over to her, "But I'm fine."

"You could have died."

"I'm fine, Sparks."

Twilight dropped the book from her magic and jumped off the couch, the book bouncing off the couch onto the floor as she glared at me, almost nose to nose, "You almost left me. You almost left Sunset!"

"I didn't-"

"You almost left Luna."

The thought of doing that to any of them, it made the scratches on my side pale in comparison. It hurt.

I closed my eyes, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry," Twilight said softly, her nose bumping against mine as I opened my eyes, looking into hers, "Promise me. Promise me you will never do something like that again."

I shifted my wings, "Twilight... I can't promise I'll never be in danger again. Things happen, you know that."

Her wings drooped as she sank down to sit, "...I know..." she said softly, sounding miserable, tears leaking from the corners of her eyes, "But the thought of losing you... or Sunset... Before her, I never had love. Sunset showed me what it's like, and then you did too and I... the thought of either of you getting hurt... I'd rather pull my own feathers out!"

Moving around I sat down next to her, slipping my wing around her and resting my head against hers. I didn't say anything, I just held her softly.

"Only thing I can promise is that I'll always be careful," I finally said into her mane.

"I guess that's all I can really ask," Twilight answered with a small sigh, "Not like I've never been to dangerous adventures before. It's just, I hate seeing you two get hurt. Or… anypony. But..."

" I know what you mean,” I said and let my horn touch against hers, “Not a big fan of it either," I said and pulled her closer against my unhurt side for a moment before I frowned and looked around, "Where did Sunset go off to by the way?"

"Talking with the airship Captain," Sparks said, "About departure tomorrow."

I nodded, "Let's go for a walk."

"Are you sure?"

"Doc said I needed to move about," I reminded her as I slowly slipped my wing off her and stretched slowly, careful not to let any twinges of pain show on my face.

Twilight flicked one ear, "Okay, a small walk shouldn't hurt. But if you overdo it, I'm carrying you back."

I was fairly sure that was whether I liked it or not. Because if she wanted to grab me with her magic and drag me back here, there would be very little I'd be able to do about it in any case. So I nodded in agreement.

"Not far. I just need to stretch my legs a bit."

Twilight nodded, her horn lighting and I felt her magic field as she checked my bandages, her magic then flowing across me as she cast a diagnostic spell.

Then she got up and gave me a small smile as her horn lit again, picking the book up and closing it, putting it onto the couch, “Ready?”

“Ready,” I agreed and got up, shifting my wings, lighting my own horn as I wrapped myself in an illusion of myself, of how I looked normally.

I flinched slightly as I felt a tug at my shoulder, but did my best to move naturally despite the ache. If nothing else but because we were in the middle of a city filled with predators.

It didn't do to show weakness. Besides, drawing attention to it could also be diplomatically difficult, especially if the venom came to light.

Sure, it would hit Razorwing more than griffons in general, likely making him a pariah if not destitute. I didn’t care about him, but even then it might harm diplomatic relations from our side if it became widely known. I’m far from the most popular pony, but… that would still cause problems.

“Who were those griffons that cheered for you anyway?” Twilight asked after a minute or so as we moved along the wide corridor, past statues of griffs of times long past.

“Honestly, I have no idea,” I admitted, “My guess, likely merchants that got their riches from trade with Equestria.”

“Prince Page, Princess Twilight,” a voice said, interrupting our conversation and I looked up to see a gray female griffon approaching.

She bowed briefly, “I was sent to invite you to join the King and his family for dinner this evening before your travels back to Equestria.”

Twilight nodded, “Thank you and please let the King know that we accept his invitation,” she said with a smile, shifting her wings.

The griffon bowed again before returning back down the hallway.

“Didn’t think you would accept,” I said quietly, looking at Twilight.

“We’re still here for a reason,” she said quietly in turn and sighed softly, “We should head back, I’ll send somepony to find Sunset. Then I want you back in bed resting until it’s time to get ready for dinner.”

“Yes ma’am.”

PreviousChapters Next