• Published 16th Jul 2021
  • 8,730 Views, 2,844 Comments

Welcome to the jungle - Hiver



Page has some problems. Some are large with larger teeth. Some have sharp claws. Some have wings. Most are ponies. Sometimes being an alicorn is simply not worth the perks of the job, no matter how nice.

  • ...
20
 2,844
 8,730

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 40

“I look a bit different, I know,” I said as we returned to look at the maptable.

“I understand it was some sort of magical effect?” Darkfathers said as he walked up next to me, “I didn’t realize there were any thestrals left before it was revealed.”

“There are some of us left,” I said and flicked one ear, avoiding the question, “We are working on fixing the low population,” I said and took in the small statues sitting on the map before slowly walking around it, “There are six Yeti troop markers along your border and one inside it. Has the war already begun?”

Darkfeathers walked along with me, glancing at Twilight and Sunset who were studying the map from the other side of it, “No. not yet in any case,” he answered.

He almost seemed a bit uncertain about discussing such matters with women in the room.

Well, he’d just have to get used to that if he was to work with Equestria.

“The marker inside our border indicates a raiding force we have encountered a couple of times. They have hit several villages, mostly stealing and burning what they can’t steal.”

“And the villagers?” Twilight asked, putting a hoof on the map.

Darkfeathers looked over to her, “Most have managed to escape, thank Celestia,” he said and sighed, “Not all, but most. The Yeti don’t have wings and while their use of bows still make them dangerous to a flying Griff, they have seemed much more interested in raiding rather than killing.”

Twilight's ears flicked back but she nodded, “I understand.”

“Just one raiding force?” I asked with a frown, “And just in this small province?”

Darkfeather nodded, “Indeed. We have increased our forces in that area, but we can only move so many around without leaving us vulnerable in another area along the border.”

Hmm.

Was that the plan? Make them cover that area to weaken the defenses at another point?

Not sure that made sense.

“Has the Yeti delegation arrived yet?” Twilight asked as she shifted her wings, “The fact that they are willing to talk is a good sign, isn’t it?”

“I like to think so,” Darkfeather agreed, “and no, there will still be a few more days, Princess,” he said before he turned to look at me, “But if they do not withdraw their forces, I think they will find Griffona more than a challenge.”

I nodded, “I do not doubt it,” I agreed and picked up the little statue of a yeti in my magic, studying it as I slowly rotated it, “Is there anything else on them that you could provide us with? Current treaties, reports from the villages and your troops about the clashes, that sort of thing?”

“Of course,” Darkfeathers agreed, “Everything is already delivered to your chambers,” he said before he paused with a small smile, shifting his wings and giving Twilight and Sunset a small bow, “And I’m being rather rude, I’m sure that you all wish to get some rest after your long journey. We can resume this tomorrow.”

“It will give us time to catch up on these reports too,” Twilight agreed with a nod.

“Of course,” he said and motioned, causing a Falcon/tiger gryffon to step out from where she had been waiting, “Sania here will show you to your quarters.”

“I’ll be with you in a moment,” I told them.

As they left, I looked to Darkfeathers with a small smile, “As an ally of Equestria, you’re going to have to get used to that sooner or later.”

He snorted, “No fooling you, is there?” he asked and shifted his wings with a small sigh, “But it feels wrong to discuss War with women. Even ponies.”

“I’m fairly sure that in the past, the feeling would have been reversed on their part.”

Darkfeathers nodded, “I’m aware,” before he stretched his wings, “Equestrian customs are… strange,” he admitted.

“No, no,” I said with a smile, “You have it reversed. Griffon customs are strange.”

He stared at me for a split second before he barked out a laugh, “Right you are! What you don’t know, always seems that way, does it now?”

“Have you ever been to Equestria,” I asked him as I rested a hoof on the table, studying the map.

Darkfeathers shook his head, “No, I never had the opportunity, even before I became King. Perhaps after this crisis is resolved…”

“We would be more than happy to return the hospitality, be it in Canterlot or Nocturnis,” I said with a nod, flicking one ear, “but I admit, you will likely be less impressed by the construction than we were of your citadel. This is an amazing structure.”

The royal fortress pyramid was absolutely ginormous. More like an artificial mountain with a city around it than anything else.

“I have heard good things about Canterlot,” Darkfeathers said, “But little of your Nocturnis. But I understand it’s built in the trees?”

“It is,” I agreed and smiled wryly, “Of course, so far it’s little else but a small village. Perhaps it’s better you visit Canterlot, we’re not really set up for a royal visit in Nocturnis yet.”

He made a small thoughtful sound, “Perhaps. But it does sound like an interesting place, perhaps I should assign an ambassador.”

I smiled, “He would not appreciate the posting. Perhaps some griff you don’t particularly like?”

Darkfeather barked out a laugh, “Hah! Or some griff that needs some toughening up!”

I chuckled and shook my head, “Let’s get through this particular crisis before we create a new one.”

He chuckled, “Good point. Well, I’ll let you get some rest,” he agreed, “One of my guards will show you to your quarters, the same ones as you had last time. Your mares will already be waiting there.”

“Thank you.”

PreviousChapters Next