• Published 19th Aug 2021
  • 2,073 Views, 165 Comments

Flash Sentry's EQG Chronicles - Banshee531



Follow Flash Sentry and his friends through their adventures in the newly magical world around them.

  • ...
2
 165
 2,073

Siblings

A long gulp was going down Flash's throat, a slight wave of nervous sweat going down his face. He had just scarfed down three grilled cheeses, and he could feel a tidal wave of stress and stomachache from the choice. The reason for this was simple: He was about to meet his sister for the first time.

Actually, that was a lie. He had met his sister many times before, but this was his first time meeting her as his sister. He could still hardly believe it when he had learned the truth. Sunset had been telling him and Twilight about all the adventures their counterparts had had in Equestria, both before and after they had met the unicorn turned human. One such adventure caused her to reveal that his counterpart had a younger sister, one that also existed in this one.

The fact that she lived in the city and even went to CHS was amazing to Flash, only for awkwardness to settle in as he realised what this meant when he now saw her. Not only that, she didn't know she had a brother either. As such, he had to find a way to talk to her without freaking her out, but thankfully he had a certain friend that the girl idolised.

She had explained everything to his sister, who apparently took it the way one would expect to take learning you had an older brother. When she came back, she told Flash that his sister wanted to think it over...only to get a text from her later that night, saying she wanted to talk to him.

And that was now, Flash having arrived an hour early and drowning his nerves in more grilled cheese. Twilight had offered to come with him, but Flash chose to do this alone.

"Can I get you anything else?" Flash turned to a pink skinned girl with blue hair in a waitress uniform, wearing roller-skates and carrying a note-pad.

"No thanks," Flash replied.

The waitress nodded and rolled off right as the diner door opened. It was his sister, dressed in her usual leather jacket, cargo pants and boots. Scootaloo turned to Flash, a tense look appearing on her face as she moved over to him.

"Hey," she said as she got up to the table.

"Hey," he responded, gesturing to the seat opposite him. She sat down, placing the helmet she had been carrying down next to her, "Do you...want anything?"

"Not really," she slowly replied, shaking her head, "Maybe later."

Flash nodded back...only for silence to take over. Both stared at each other, Flash tapping his fingers on the table, while Scootaloo just stared down at the table.

"So..." Flash tried to break the silence, "What do you-"

"Are you really my brother?" She interrupted, making Flash flinch.

He blinked at her, taking a deep breath before replying, "I...think so? The versions of us in Equestria are siblings." Scootaloo just stared at him at this, making Flash scratch the back of his head, "Look...I know you don't have any reason to believe me. Heck, I hardly believe it. But if the possibility exists..."

"When Rainbow told me, I was shocked. I thought to myself, if I have a brother, then why haven't I lived with him? So I went to my mom and dad." Flash went wide-eyed at this, about to ask who they were, only for her to say, "I asked them if I had a brother. They were...shocked that I asked that. They wanted to know why I asked."

"What...did you tell them?" Flash slowly asked.

"I said it was complicated and told 'em I needed to know the truth before I explained. And...they don't know if I have a brother or not." Flash raised an eyebrow at this as Scootaloo reached into her jacket and took something out. It was a folded up piece of paper, which she handed to Flash.

He took it and unfolded it, revealing a photograph of four people. One of them was a man that looked exactly like Flash, with his arm around a woman with silver skin and purple hair. The other was a brown skinned man with dark purple hair, holding a pink skinned woman with blonde hair.

Flash's gaze zeroed in on the man that looked just like him, "Who's this?"

"That's Trail Blazer," Scootaloo replied, "He's my real dad."

"Real dad?" Flash responded, Scootaloo nodding before she pointed at the other couple in the photo.

"Until I asked them if I had a brother, I thought these two were my parents. But it turns out...I'm adopted." Flash frowned at this as she continued, "When I asked them, they told me the truth...that they can't be sure I'm an only child." She pointed to Trail Blazer and the woman he was holding. "Apparently, Trail Blazer and Misty Veil were my parent's best friends and roommates in college. After they graduated, they got a job across the country and left for about three years." She looked up at Flash, "That time is around the same time you should have been born."

"Really?" Flash asked with a raised eyebrow. He stared at the photo again, seeing how much he resembled the man in the picture before thinking about the years of not knowing who his parents were. That is, till his mind went back to Scootaloo, who had been raised by someone else. "Wait...what happened to them?"

Scootaloo glanced away at this, "When I was about a year old, they were in a traffic accident one day. They were on a business trip in another town, so they left me with my mom and dad. They died and...apparently they made my parents my legal guardians. They adopted me and thought it would be better to make me think I was theirs's until I was old enough to understand."

"I...see." Flash replied as he leaned back in the seat. "Huh. I guess that means we won't know."

"Yeah...I guess it was stupid to ask if you really were my brother and you would just know." Scootaloo told him. "I mean...you look just like my dad. My real one, I mean...but that doesn't mean anything." Flash nodded as he glanced back at the picture, only for Scootaloo to take something else out of her jacket. "There is something else though." Flash raised an eyebrow at this, now seeing an envelope. "My parents said this was made part of their will. It was supposed to be delivered to me when I learned I turned eighteen. My mom and dad gave it to me when they told me because they have a feeling they know what's in it."

"What does it say?"

"I don't know," Scootaloo shrugged before putting it on the table. "I've been a little...worried about what it might say." Flash nodded, only for the girl to ask him, "Do you...think you might be able to read it for me?"

"Um...sure." Flash took the envelope, carefully opening it and finding two things within. The first was a bunch of folded papers and an envelope, this one having someone else's name on it: Flash.

He stared at the envelope for a moment before putting it down and staring at the paper. He took a deep breath and began to read it, "To my dearest Scootaloo..." the teen did a small pause, "Seriously?! Who starts a letter like that anymore?!"

"Flash..."

"Sorry." Flash replied before continuing, "Ahem. As I write this letter, every fibre of my being is praying that you'll never have to read these words. But I know the world can be an unpredictable place, and if something should happen to us, I'd never forgive myself for not making sure you someday learned the truth."

Scootaloo sighed, rolling her eyes, "Seriously?! Imagine if I was given this letter on my actual eighteenth birthday."

The two laughed at this, only for Flash to say, "Scootaloo, you're not our firstborn." Flash's eyes drifted to the envelope. "When we were younger, your father and I left our home to pursue a career in archaeology. However, many complications occurred and we eventually ended up losing our jobs. With little hiring prospects and a lot of debt to pay off, we found ourselves barely managing to get by. Then we discovered we were going to have a child, which would have likely bankrupted us."

Flash came to a stop at this, both him and Scootaloo now wide-eyed as she asked, "Wait...did they just say they abandoned you to save some money?"

"Uhh…" Flash barely responded, grimacing at he tried to form words to answer her question, "Well...raising a kid is expensive. If they really had no money, maybe they thought I would be taken away."

"What do you mean?"

"Well...I think they're about to go over it." Flash glanced back down at the letter as he continued to read aloud, "We knew that it would be a matter of time before the baby was taken away by child services, so we chose not to make him suffer through bonding with us. Only two weeks after your brother was born, we returned to our home city and placed him in an orphanage. It hurt us greatly, to give away our beloved child, but we knew it was for the greater good. We gave him the name Flash Relic, but I'm sure he'll likely have another second name by now."

"I thought your name was Flash Sentry. How did you get your name get changed?" Scootaloo asked next.

"The kids at the orphanage gave it to me. I was always just Flash, and I can't remember the specific details, but I think it was a nickname I got because I was always looking after the younger ones and keeping them from getting bullied. Thus, my name is Flash Sentry."

Scootaloo nodded. "That makes sense."

Flash glanced back down at the letter, "Over the next few years, your father and I were able to gain some semblance of control over our lives. We probably would have gone back for your brother, but then we got another unexpected financial surprise. You." Scootaloo raised an eyebrow at this. "This time, we knew we could look after our child properly. So we made a decision. We're gonna keep you and raise you and after a few years, we'll seek out your brother. If he's already been adopted, we'll simply make ourselves known and explain what happened. Hopefully, he won't hate us and will be willing to accept us being a part of his life. And if he isn't adopted, we'll do that ourselves."

"So much for that idea," Scootaloo sighed, Flash shrugging. His mind went back to his first meeting with Twilight and her family, making him do a hidden smile before getting back to reading.

"But if you're reading this, it means something went wrong and we never reunited with Flash. If that's the case, then all I can say is that what happens next is up to you. You can forget you ever read this letter, or go out and find your brother. I hope you'll chose to find him and that the two of you can form some type of brother sister bond. If you choose not to meet him, my only wish is that you at least deliver the letter I've written to him. He deserves to know the truth as much as you do. Love, your mother, Misty Veil." Flash then put the letter down, him and Scootaloo sitting back. "Wow."

"Talk about...intense," Scootaloo replied before looking down at the other envelope. "Are you gonna read it?"

"Maybe later," Flash responded, "Right now...I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around all this."

"At least now you know mom and dad didn't abandon you," Scootaloo reminded him. "They gave you up because they loved you."

"Yeah..." Flash shrugged again before putting the envelope into his pocket. He glanced back up at Scootaloo, "Well...this certainly went very different from how I expected it to go."

"How'd you expect it to go?"

"Honestly, I was kind of expecting it to go horribly wrong and you'd never want to talk to me again." Scootaloo laughed at this, just as the waitress from before came back and asked them if they wanted anything. Flash turned to her and smiled, "Can I treat my sister to a milkshake?" Scootaloo smiled and nodded before giving her order, Flash asking for the same thing.

"So what do we do now?" Scootaloo asked as the waitress left. "I've never had a brother before."

"Well...my only point of reference is a pair of sibling prodigies that spend half their time being the best of friends, and the other half as heated rivals trying to compete for a paper mache crown." Scootaloo raised an eyebrow at this, "Its a long story. Anyways, I guess we could try to uh...you know, get to know each other." His eyes darted away slightly at this, "Unless you don't wanna do that. I totally understand if you don't."

"Do you?"

"I...I guess so? I did kinda start this when I found out about the other version of us."

"Yeah..." Scootaloo replied as she glanced away, only to look back at him with a solid stare, "I think we should try it."

Flash blinked at her, only to nod, "Same."

"So...how do start? I mean, we barely know each other."

"I guess we start at the beginning. I'll go first." Flash responded as the waitress returned with their drinks, both drinking up as they talked to one another. They both told each other about their lives up to meeting at CHS, what they enjoyed doing and found that they both had a lot in common. Both enjoyed similar movies, video games and had almost the same taste in music. They had a few different hobbies, but they were the main differences.

Flash told her he enjoyed baking occasionally while Scootaloo just stated she only enjoyed eating baked treats. Flash then promised to one day introduce her to his favourite thing to bake, witcher's firelighter, something Scootaloo had never heard of. He also suggested teaching how to play guitar when she told him she was interested in learning, something she had been planning to ask Rainbow.

By this point, the pair had finished their milkshakes. "Wanna order another?" Flash asked, "Or...do you wanna go do something else?"

"Like what?" Scootaloo asked.

"Well...I'm no expert, but the only siblings I really know like to compete against one another every now and then. Wanna get your butt whooped at a nearby mini-golf course?"

Scootaloo gave him a smirk, "Oh, its on."

"Let's go." The pair paid for their drinks and headed out of the dinner, Scootaloo putting on her helmet and grabbing her scooter while Flash grabbed his bike and helmet. As soon as he was on board, the pair turned and nodded to one another, the same idea in their heads. And without a word, the pair shot off the starting line, racing down the street. All along the way, they laughed as they continued. They might not know what the future held for them, but they knew this was a good start. Only time would tell if it would remain good or not, but the pair both had faith it would.

Author's Note:

A simple little piece I feel needed to be shown. Hope you liked it.