• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 4,539 Views, 421 Comments

How to Raise a Filly - CharmingChaos



Sequel to A Tale of Two Mares. Go read that.

  • ...
9
 421
 4,539

Ah, Screw it, I'm too lazy to come up with a name

Octavia woke up cold and curled up in a ball in the middle of the bed.

Incidentally, so did everypony else in the house. Well, for Vinyl it was the couch, but it was essentially the same.

Octavia's first thought was something along the lines of, Good Celestia, where is that crazy mare? I'm cold, so she crawled out of bed in search of her wife.

It didn't dawn on Octavia what had happened after Vinyl had left the night before even after she found said mare flopped face-down on the sofa, mouth half-open as she snored softly into the cushion.

Vinyl opened one eye and looked at Octavia, frowning slightly. "Oh, it's you. I suppose you're here to insult me some more?"

"What? Vin - I don't know what you're talking about," Octavia rubbed her aching head with a hoof, mussing her already in shambles mane. "Good Celestia - I can't remember anything that happened last night."

"Oh, so it runs in the family, losing your memory right when it serves you best. How convenient," Vinyl snarled. "I'll keep that little trick in mind if you ever catch me sleeping with another mare."

"You do that? I can't believe you!" Octavia exclaimed. "Then why the hay did you get married?"

"You shouldn't. Haven't you noticed I lie sometimes? And, as for the marriage question, I did it because I thought that I'd found a mare who loved me as much as I love her!"

"Well, it looks like we made the same mistake there!"

"Could've fooled me, you act more like you hate me!"

"I could say the same for you," Octavia returned, feeling her stomach turn at the cruel words being exchanged, or maybe it was simply the alcohol.

"Oh, yeah? Well, see if you can say that after this!" Vinyl sprung off the couch, pinning Octavia to the wall.

Octavia squeaked in surprise as Vinyl pressed their lips together, tears running down her cheeks.

Vinyl pulled away, scowling. "I'm sorry. I did that because I bucking love you, okay? So, just shut up and listen to me!"

Octavia was speechless, so the request about shutting up was unnecessary. She stared at Vinyl, eyes wide, still panting slightly from the kiss.

"I... I don't know what happened last night, Octy. I mean, one minute you were kissing my cheek, and the next you were screaming your flank off about - I don't even want to remember what, but it hurt. And then when I came home and Tambourine had Grace Note asleep on the couch - well, that never happens, because they practically hate each other. I-I don't know what happened, 'Tavi - but I don't like it at all. So, can we please just kiss and make up?"

"I think we already did, Vinyl," Octavia said quietly, giving her a soft peck on the tip of her nose. "Now, do you mind telling me what happened last night so I can apologize?"

"Uh... well, I mean - can't you just apologize without knowing? I... don't think you want to know what you said."

"I do, Vinyl. I'd never forgive myself if I knew I said something awful to you."

"That's exactly the reason I don't want to tell you. Because you'd never forgive yourself."

"Well, then I'll never forgive myself either way, so it doesn't matter. Tell me what I said so I can apologize. Hurry up now, Vin'. I'm getting quite sick of this," Octavia answered briskly.

"Well, uh, you kind of called me worthless and pathetic, and you said you didn't know why you married me. Are you happy now? Can I stop?"

"I said that? Oh, my, you'd better get rid of any more of that stuff I drank - I would hate for that to happen again. I feel terrible, Vinyl. How can you be so understanding? I was just awful. I think you have more reason to hate me then I could ever have." Octavia shuddered. "What was that stuff, anyways?"

"I'm not sure, actually. It was a birthday present from Pinkie Pie a long time ago. I'll make sure to slap her for almost ruining our relationship next time I see her."

"Oh, no, don't do that. You're so violent, Vinyl. But I assure you, I am very, terribly sorry. I can't begin to explain how ridiculous I feel, saying all that. I promise none of it's true."

"What a sweet, heartfelt apology," Vinyl smiled, giving Octavia another kiss. "At least, I think it is. Can we have Octy-apologized-and-Vinyl-accepted-and-everypony's-happy-again sex now?"

"Ew, guys, that's gross!" Tambourine's high voice came from the doorway. "Geez, keep it foal-appropriate, please. I'm right here!"

"Ack!" Octavia gasped. "Tambourine, how long have you been there?"

Tambourine made a face. "Long enough to be scarred for life. Mommy, you're disgusting. Mom, I don't even want to know what you were gonna do if I hadn't made my appearance known when I did."

"Well, sorry, Tamby. I would have censored your mommy's tongue if I'd known you were there. Which reminds me, I think you should get some lessons on speaking foal-appropriately in your everyday life, Vinyl." Octavia said, grinning teasingly.

"What? No! Nopony likes a DJ who talks like a kindergarten teacher! A-and I can't I like being - I wouldn't be me without my language. It's me!"

"I'm kidding, Vinyl, kidding, not serious, stop looking at me like that!" Octavia giggled, holding up her hooves defensively.

"You're mean, Octy. I never realized how mean you are until now. This calls for punishment. Tickling punishment!"

Octavia squealed as Vinyl's hooves dug into her sides, wishing she had asked to be unpinned from against the wall sooner as she found herself trapped.

Tambourine rolled her eyes, yawning. "Well, good to see you guys are getting along so well. Take care of Grace please, I still don't like her. I'm going back to bed."

Octavia's face suddenly turned a sickly shade of green, and she batted Vinyl away and dropped to her hooves. "Think... gonna puke... your fault, Vinyl... shouldn't tickle me after I've had a lot of alcohol." Vinyl leaned away comically, alarmed, and Octavia gave a weak smile as the feeling passed. "Hah. Serves you right. But I'm fine now."

"You mean you aren't gonna throw up all your guts on me?" Vinyl asked, looking relieved. "That's nice of you."

"Isn't it?" Octavia agreed graciously. "Do you think we should check on Tambourine, though?"

"Probably," Vinyl nodded.

The two sheepish mares made their way to their daughter's bedroom. It was dim, the curtain was closed and the only sign of the filly was a lump in the middle of the mattress and a lock of curly blue mane ("Or tail. She might be one of those fillies who sleep upside down," Vinyl pointed out) on the pillow.

"She's grown up to be such a nice filly, don't you think?" Octavia said softly, nuzzling Vinyl. "I'm rather proud of her for taking care of little Grace last night. I didn't hear her crying at all."

"Maybe that was because you were busy drowning yourself in a mysterious bottle of an unnamed alcohol you found in the closet," Vinyl suggested.

"Let's not talk about that anymore, alright?"

"Uh-oh, murderer-'Tavi's back. Better watch out, fillies and gentlecolts!" Vinyl warned an imaginary crowd as they left Tambourine's bedroom.

"What - what's that supposed to mean?" Octavia asked indignantly.

"Oh, you just got that I'm-gonna-strangle-Vinyl-when-she-sleeps look on your face again. That's some scary shit, Octy."

"You have got to be kidding me."

"I've got to be? That's a shame. I didn't intend to be - oh, no, there it is again, I'd better run!"

"I can strangle you if you like, Vinyl," Octavia offered, reaching toward Vinyl's neck. "Playing the cello has made me quite strong, you know."

"Uh, no thanks, 'Tavi, I'm really good in that regard. You can just uh - gah, stop smiling like that it's creepy!"

"Oh, dear, are somepony scared? Poor little Vinyl Scratch, would you like a hug?"

Vinyl grinned hungrily. "Yes, please. But I'd rather buck."

Octavia rolled her eyes. "Ever the romantic one, eh, Vinyl? Couldn't you have at least waited until evening?"


Finally, CharmingChaos managed to procrastinate and not study for a bunch of tests that may or may not be happening tomorrow long enough to write another chapter. (2 chapters in 2 days, what has gotten into me?) Anyways, sorry if it's a little short, it's just because if I left that fight festering in my mind I would expect them to split up, and we can't have that, oh no, we have a whole ripping yarn (not) written in our head already and it involved them being together.
So, hope you enjoyed it, and I hope nopony is morally outraged with Tambourine's rotten timing (she has a hapit of walking in at just the wrong times) because honestly, I needed to fill up space. Also, I don't care. I thought it was funny.