• Published 23rd Jun 2021
  • 643 Views, 44 Comments

The Last Rays Of The Sun - DougtheLoremaster



Luna rules Equestria alone. What even is a sun? The inhabitants have never heard of such a thing. Luna has never forgotten and now she endeavors to teach the future ruler of Equestria what exactly perfect harmony costs.

  • ...
4
 44
 643

Chapter 8- When blood isn't thicker than water- Part 1

“I’m your father, Twilight.”

Twilight’s heart skipped a beat. The calm answer had been spoken so simply, so matter of factly, and with such ease that Twilight began shouting in shock, demanding answers.

“What? How is that even possible?”

Knowing Twilight was not normally given to hysterics, Moonglow sighed and rolled her eyes at the reaction.

“Twilight…”

“I mean, you’re a mare and mom’s a mare…”

“Twilight…”

“Are you saying we were constructed of pure magic? I get the love thing, but how were you even able to conceive? I mean, you don’t even have a…”

Moonglow stamped her hoof and raised her voice, causing the rafters to shake with her the annoyance conveyed within.

“Twilight! Silence!”

“Missus Moonglow, we heard shouting, is everything okay?”

Turning to see, who had so informally addressed her, Moonglow’s face lit up with a smile. There in the doorway were two rather small ponies.

Twins, the stallion and mare, were no more than two-thirds the height of a full-grown Pegasus and boasted a brilliant sheen of charcoal gray fur. The eyes of both had cat’s-eye pupils, no iris, and a curious golden cornea. On their backs were two leathery wings, not unlike those of a bat.

Both guards were Batponies. Instinctually voracious hunters, the Batponies had one major difference that separated them from the rest of the pony population; they were flesh-eaters.

Easily mistaken for fillies, the two full-grown Batponies were well known for their abundance of energy, and determination to prove themselves, and both seemed carefree and very docile. That is unless an issue should arise.

Were you to ask any of the other Midnight Guard what the scariest thing they’ve witnessed was, all would recall the times they watched as Bloodletter and Fanged Lily took care of trespassers and unruly guests, bare-hoofed and fangs extended.

A few thousand years had passed since Moonglow and Luna had discovered the small colony of feral Batponies; nesting amidst some rather treacherous caves within the Dragonlands. The Dragons had expressed extreme reluctance to go into the said cave and only after hatchlings and brood mothers went missing, did they beseech Luna and Moonglow to help them find them. After a few rather harrowing incidents, as well as casualties, a treaty of sorts was brokered between the Lunar Princess and the Batponies. Now, they happily blend in with the rest of society, some even enlisting in the royal guards of Canterlot and the Crystal Empire.

Though many creatures of Equestria were naturally wary of the Batpony’s feeding habits, Moonglow found them absolutely adorable.

In her eyes, the peculiar creatures resembled furry little cats; both in personality traits and their habits, they were always poking around and investigating every random object. Even though now civilized, those mannerisms still persisted, and Moonglow found them endlessly amusing. Pointing a hoof at the pile of books, she calmly told them.

“Everything is fine. There was no shouting, the young heir here just knocked over this pile of books.”

As a crestfallen look appeared on the two Batponies' faces, their ears lay down in distress. Moonglow couldn’t help but feel her icy heart melt at the sight. Look at those poor dears, they were so looking forward to a hunt, weren’t they?

Unable to hide a smile at the sight, Moonglow watched as they dejectedly scuffed a hoof against the stone floor, now that hunting food was no longer an option.

“However, I am quite pleased with your concern for me. Tell you what, why don’t you go pay a visit to the chef on duty? Tell them Advisor Moonglow says you are to get an extra portion of fresh chicken tonight.”

Twilight watched as delight filled the faces of the two before a strange almost-humming noise could be heard coming from them. Whispering to Moonglow, she asked her in confusion.

“What is that noise?”

Moonglow chuckled as the Batponies ran off in excitement.

“Purring.”

In disbelief, Twilight blinked in surprise and responded mockingly.

“They can purr? What, are they like cats or something?”

Giggling for a moment, Moonglow nodded.

“Yes, yes they are.”

“Well, that’s interesting.”

Narrowing her eyes, Moonglow turned back to Twilight, a serious look on her face.

“Indeed, now then, about our earlier discussion. If you promise not to yell anymore, I’ll explain myself to you. Now have a seat.”

Sighing, Moonglow used her magic to make a glass of Apple Juice for Twilight, and a cup of fresh tea for herself.

“When I met your mother, I was only 8 years old, though she was in her early 20’s. I was originally employed as a serf of sorts; making her bed, dusting...you get the idea. Wendigo’s like me, we can easily live forever, that is if given a proper food supply, and your mother’s harmony was more than adequate for mine and my sister’s growth.”

Taking a sip from her cup as Twilight noisily slurped her juice through a straw, Moonglow chuckled lightly as she recalled the first time.

“It happened about 2000 years after that fateful night. Your mother had a horrible nightmare and broke down in tears. I found her amidst tear-soaked sheets, curled up and crying for her sister. And upon lighting a flame in the fireplace, I sat next to her and gently laid her onto my lap, comforting her and whispering soft reassurances. One thing led to another and before I knew what was going on, she ended up under me.”

“So you and mom…How?”

Looking slightly uncomfortable, Moonglow broke eye contact with Twilight and looked away.

“Wendigos are mares. Our entire species are nothing but mares and have always been so. However, when we devour an excess of passionate emotions from those close to us, we...Wendigos go through a sort of transformation, becoming equipped for both mare and stallion roles, though only for that moment of intimacy.”

Twilight looked curious.

“Both mare and stallion?”

Clearly flustered at the topic, Moonglow muttered.

“It ensures both wendigos can bear young with an almost certain chance of conception.”

“So, you actually had a…”

Her face a bright red of embarrassment, Moonglow hurriedly replied in a slightly raised voice.

“Yes, yes I had...one! And yes it was a very...surreal experience.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow.

“And you and mom…did you know...that?”

Covering her snout in her hooves, as she lay her head on the table, Moonglow weakly replied.

“Yes…”

“Wow. Wait, does that mean Starlight is actually part…”

Nodding, Moonglow said softly.

“Yes, your sister is half-Wendigo. And before you ask, yes. Infernal is in fact, her Aunt.”

“I see...Hold on, if Starlight is part Wendigo, then she would have that high rate of conception, why haven’t she and Starburst had a foal of their own yet?”

Giving a mischievous wink, Moonglow simply responded.

“That would depend on which one is on top, Twilight.”

Puzzled, Twilight tilted her head.

“I don’t understand. Why would being on top matt...er...oh. Huh. That... So anyway, you and mom...and then my sister was born...and now she...and you...This is a bit much to take in all at once.”

Giggling like a school filly, Moonglow retorted.

“I’m sure Starburst says the same quite often.”

Snorting into her apple juice, Twilight cleared her throat.

“Hrmph...That’s horrible Mom...Dad? Um…”

“You may call me whatever you wish, Twilight. I won’t love you any less.”

“So, erm...dad? I always wanted a dad. Anyway, you mentioned my sister...but what about me? Am I a Wendigo, too?”

At these words, Moonglow fell silent, a scarily grim look on her face. Fiercely, she gripped her cup of tea with both hooves, as she thought to herself how to answer. Luna and I agreed she was our daughter, that she was no less important than Starlight. How can I tell her? Should I tell her? What should I say? Maybe-

“Um, Dad, your glass.”

Blinking, Moonglow looked at her hooves, startled to see that in her fierce contemplation the glass holding her tea had been completely shattered, and the liquid now drenched her hooves. Buck it all! I’ve never lied to my children and I refuse to start now.

“You, Twilight are many things, an amazing scholar, a prodigal spellcaster, a proud member of the Royal Family, and my wonderful daughter, but I’m sorry to say, you are not part Wendigo. Twilight, you are adopted.”