• Published 23rd Jun 2021
  • 643 Views, 44 Comments

The Last Rays Of The Sun - DougtheLoremaster



Luna rules Equestria alone. What even is a sun? The inhabitants have never heard of such a thing. Luna has never forgotten and now she endeavors to teach the future ruler of Equestria what exactly perfect harmony costs.

  • ...
4
 44
 643

Chapter 3- A family emergency, icy thorns

“Hey, kiddo, ready to spend a day with your big sister?”

Twilight Celestial Solstice stared up into the dark golden eyes of Starburst Nova, excitement written on the young filly’s face. The stallion’s fur was the same earthen gray as a cloud’s reflection on the lagoon in the endless night. His mane; having the same silvery sheen as the crescent moon with a mix of dark earthy gray highlights. On his flank was the image of a star exploding outward with a shimmering radiance. He wore a pair of crescent-shaped spectacles, which rested upon a soft light gray patch of fur. Around his midriff, he wore a cloak of woven moonlight, spell crafted by Twilight’s sister, his wife, and the current ruler of the Crystal Empire; Princess Starlight Glimmer.

The Alicorn Stallion chuckled lightly as Twilight eagerly patted the saddlebag on her back in response. The travel bag was packed with all sorts of necessities; snacks, books, a worn-out plushy with a single button for an eye, crayons, parchment, a quill, and many more amenities.

“Prepared for everything, aren’t you?”

“Yep.”

Behind Twilight stood Moonglow Shimmer, who spoke directly to Starburst in a grateful tone.

“Thank you so much for agreeing to take her for a couple of nights. We really do appreciate it.”

Nodding, Twilight’s brother-in-law looked the kindly old advisor in the eyes, lightly remarking.

“It’s our pleasure, Moonglow, and Starlight is always excited to spend this night with her little sister. Besides, every creature needs some downtime eventually, even somepony as powerful as Princess Luna. How is her majesty doing, by the way?”

Moonglow smiled sweetly.

“Asleep. She was given a powerful herbal draught, made of stardust and lavender to calm her nerves. I’ve alerted the head chef and he has his staff preparing her favorite meal. A top pair of masseuses; sisters from Ponyville’s renowned spa, await to help soothe her stress as well. She has quite the midnight hour of pampering ahead of her. A few nights of rest and relaxation, I’m sure we both can agree, she has well earned.”

Starburst nodded.

“I can’t imagine the immense weight she has been bearing to have suffered such a meltdown.”

Twilight anxiously looked around as the adults above her talked. A filly who had just received her cutie mark, not one moon ago, Twilight was completely unaware of what they were discussing. It wasn’t often she saw her sister outside her role as a teacher and Princess. The only thing she had been informed of, was that she was going to be spending an entire week’s worth of nights with Starlight. No school, no lessons; just a week with her sister.

Impatiently, she began to sway and goof around, pawing her hoof at the ground, eager to get going. She just wanted to go play with her big sister, why were the grown-ups taking so long? C’mon let’s go, I wanna see Starlight!

Seeing the antsy antics of the young filly, Starburst laughed.

“I guess we better head out. Starlight is waiting after all and somepony is eager to get going.”

As the two said goodbye, Starburst turned to walk away, before stopping after a few steps. Calling back, he addressed Moonglow.

“Please keep us informed on her Highness’s condition. And if she needs anything, and I mean anything, please don’t hesitate to ask. We will do whatever we can to help her recover. Come on, Twilight. Starlight’s waiting.”

***

Sitting on her throne, Starlight sat lost in thought of earlier events. Standing before the throne and arguing with each other, two ponies stood, though she wasn’t really listening to their issues; her mind elsewhere. Ugh, these two again. Bicker, bicker, all they do. Could this night go any slower? I do hope mom is doing better. I’ll be sure to give her a hug next time I see her. That reminds me, I must make sure the chef has that fizzy juice ready for Twilight. Where is Starburst anyway? A bolt of wayward Unicorn magic slammed into the cushion of her chair, barely missing her ear and catching her attention immediately.

“Enough!”

The Alicorn Princess boasted a rich Denim Blue fur with her mane being a soothing Aegean Blue, matching the tips of her Denim Blue feathers. Each individual feather’s tip on both wings having been painted delicately to match her mane and tail, Starlight made a fearsome sight when she spread her wings to their full width. On her flank was the renowned symbol of a falling star with sparkles in it’s trail. With her eyes a deep glowing seafoam green, like her sister, none dared argue with any decision she might make, including the two before her currently.

Standing on her hind hooves, Starlight spread her wings, an angry glare locked onto the two unfortunates. Her words boomed throughout the entirety of the castle, and she held back none of her ire.

“I’ve had enough of you two bickering and fighting in my throne room. No more. Understood?”

The Earthpony with a green pear-shaped cutie mark pointed to the unicorn with a green apple-shaped cutie mark.

“But your majesty-”

“I don’t care. If that had hit me, I would have vaporized you two on the spot. Every single moon, you two are in here bickering over who can grow what crops. And I've had it. I may possess immortality but even I don’t have time for the same nonsense every single time. There are far more important matters that require my attention.”

Standing there in stunned silence, the two stood staring open-mouthed at the fierce ruler as she let them have it.

“Now for the last time, you will split the land in half. He gets half and you get half. That way he can grow his pears and you can grow your apples. This matter is settled. Get out. Now.”

“But-”

“Guards!”

A pair of armored pegasi guards approached the two, spears drawn. Settling back down into her throne, and ruffling her feathers in annoyance, Princess Starlight calmly, yet clearly irate gave them their orders.

“This audience is over, please escort these two to the gates.”

The guards looked at each other, and both grinned. The one on the left reached out a muscle-bound forehoof to reach for the Earthpony, and seeing he stood no chance against her, the pony calmly turned and began to walk away. The Unicorn was another story.

Grabbed swiftly in the Aegean-furred forearm of the guard on the right, the Unicorn must have gotten over her shock because she fired a retaliatory bolt of magic, point-blank at the Pegasus’s face.

The blast hit the anti-magic crystalline helmet, knocking it from the mare’s head, revealing a mane of many colors. Divided into various sections of soft, dull, dark, and deep blue hues, the Pegasus’s dyed mane displayed the colors of an icy aurora above the mountains at night. It seemed to flutter in the night’s air, draping itself wildly over the breastplate adorning her barrel. The front of the plate displayed the coveted Star of Night pattern, only worn by the Captain of Starlight’s Royal Guard.

Time itself seemed to stop as the helmet clattered to the floor and a small bead of crimson began threading itself down the guard’s muzzle. The Unicorn had just long enough to see the glare of two glowing silver eyes, before a beefy hoof slammed into the side of her head, knocking out the offender.

Taking notice of the injury, the Princess called out to her.

“Captain Shard, your face-”

“It’s nothing, ma’am.”

Her voice was slightly raspy, with a soft undertone. Taking a deep breath, Captain Aurora Shard calmly and effortlessly swung the limp form of the Unicorn over her back, heading towards the entrance to the Throne Room. Her subordinate flew a few wingbeats right behind her, leading the stallion, stunned at what he had witnessed.

As the massive Sparkle Stone doors were flung open and the malcontents tossed bodily through, a tiny blur of a navy blue shot past the guards, and headed straight for the gilded silver throne. A look of surprise crossed the Guard Captain’s weathered face, and as she turned to call out, she was greeted with the sight of a rather amused-looking Starlight.

“There she is!”

Fluttering her wings as she leaped from her throne, Princess Glimmer approached the little blur as it came to an abrupt stop just before the throne, revealing the form of a very excited and energetic, navy blue filly.

Landing just before the young Unicorn, Starlight smiled warmly at her and held out a single hoof. Still, flabbergasted, the guards watched as a fast-paced singsong game of pattycake began between the two.

“Moonlight, moonlight,

Stars shining on the lake,

Stamp your hooves,

And do a little shake!”~

The game ended with Starlight using one wing to pull the filly towards her in a fierce hug. Captain Shard, still nonplussed at the sight, turned with a start, as a deep, warm, bass-filled voice spoke up behind her.

“It’s fine, Aurora, she’s with me.”

Instantly her head was lowered in a submissive bow as she addressed the speaker.

“Lord Nova!”

Immediately, Aurora found her muzzle being raised to peer into the kindly golden eyes of the Prince of the Crystal Empire.

“Enough of that, Aurora. You know I’m not all that keen on such formalities. What happened to your face?”

Grinning, the Captain raised a hoof to the now steadily streaming wound as a small pool gathered around Starburst’s hooves.

“That Unicorn took a potshot at me, sire, nothing serious.”

Staring at the visible hole in Aurora’s face, Starburst narrowed his eyes sternly.

“Uh-huh, nothing serious? And for the thousandth time, please just use my name.”

Lowering her hoof, Aurora stared at the rich crimson that now covered the surface.

“It’s just a scratch. And no can do, Princess Starlight has made it clear you are to be addressed by honorifics at all times, Prince Starburst.”

“Medic.”

The abrupt single-word response took Aurora by surprise.

“Sire?”

Again, Starburst repeated the command.

Med-ic-al Ward. Now.”

Now startled, Aurora started protesting heavily.

I’m fine si-”

Starburst was having none of it, as he interrupted her excuses.

“Not another word, Aurora, head to the Medical Ward. Now. Get that looked at and don’t you dare return to your post, until that wound is healed. That is an order from your Prince!”

Shocked at the prospect of being made to leave her post, Aurora’s wings drooped to the floor and she quietly walked out the massive crystalline doors. Starburst looked at the other guard and sighed.

“I appreciate her work ethic, but that is one stubborn mare.”

Standing just short of Aurora’s height, with Sanguine-toned fur, and her wing-tips a burnished auburn, the other guard wore a full set of anti-magic armor, though around her barrel she wore an armored skirt rather than a solid breastplate. A cutie mark of three large roses, with black, thorny stems could be seen, each colored a brick red. Her mane was tied in a ponytail but consisted of obsidian-hued hair, with highlights of deep crimson purposely dyed into it. Likewise, her tail possessed the same colors and had a ruby bead tying it off. The Sanguine-furred mare laughed, her glowing eyes, like two rubies shining in a dark cave, her voice extremely soft and silky.

“Oh, don’t I know it, sire, but that’s why we pair so well together.”

“How long have you two been married anyway, Rosethorn?”

Rosethorn Evertree, wife of Captain Aurora Shard, and Commander of Starlight’s Personal Crystal Guard looked thoughtful as Starburst observed the countless scars peeking through the spaces in her crystal mail; All of which she proudly touted from her many years of service.

“25 years, as of next month, sire.”

"Oh wow, I remember Starlight and mine's 25th; that was nearly 400 years ago. Do you have any special plans?"

While the two talked, Starlight sat on the carpet of the throne room, fiercely hugging her little sister, her mind going over what happened just hours ago.

***

“Lady Starlight, please come in.”

As Princess Starlight and Starburst enjoyed some alone time, a portal appeared over the queen’s bed; upon which both lay, enjoying each other’s company. Still slightly out of breath, she called out to the familiar voice.

“Moonglow, what, hah, is it? Is every, hah, everything okay?”

“I regret to inform you, your mother has suffered a depressive episode.”

“What?”

Ceasing affections with Starburst at once, Starlight sat up in her bed to listen, as Moonglow told her what happened.

“Since tucking Twilight in, your mother has been sobbing into my lap and chugging cheap boxed cider. I think this may be related to that staircase again.”

Starlight nodded, her mother had been trying to ascend that staircase for thousands of years. Every time, she would break down into depression and become inconsolable.

“What do you need from me?”

“I was wondering if you could spend a few nights with Twilight, while your mother takes some time to herself to recover. Perhaps a week-long vacation of rest and relaxation. I think ruling without a break for thousands of years has gotten to her, and I’m worried.”

Placing a hoof under her chin, Starlight rustled her feathers in thought. Slowly, she voiced her thoughts out loud.

“A week is a long time for me to leave the throne. But mom getting a vacation sounds wonderful. Hmm-”

Pausing, she looked pointedly at the clearly still-flustered Starburst, who was instinctively rustling his feathers out of frustration.

“If only there were some loving and amazing stallion that could take my place, while I spent some time with my younger sister. If only such a stallion who cared for me very much would do such a thing. You wouldn’t happen to know of one like that would you, honey?”

Starburst rolled his eyes and laughed.

“Of course, I can do that for you, dear.”

Grinning, Starlight turned towards the portal once more.

“Alright it’s settled. Though, who will stand in for mother during her vacation?”

Moonglow Shimmer’s eyes glowed brightly as she spoke sweetly.

“I think you and I both know how capable I am to fulfill such a role, 'Little Starry'.”

Thinking back to her childhood, Starlight shivered slightly.

“Just don’t be too hard on the poor souls.”

Fangs glinting in the radiating moonlight, Moonglow responded gently.

“If they behave, I won’t have to discipline them, will I?”

***

Starlight smiled down at her little sister and gently nuzzled her. For the next week, she would be caring for Twilight, while her husband minded the throne and handled all disputes.

“I have so many fun things planned for us.”

That’s right, everything is fine. Twilight's too young to understand anyway. Look at her, so excited without care. Mom just needs some time to herself. She'll be okay. Let’s just get through this week. Everything will be fine.

“Now who’s ready for a trip to the fairgrounds?”