• Published 23rd Jun 2021
  • 643 Views, 44 Comments

The Last Rays Of The Sun - DougtheLoremaster



Luna rules Equestria alone. What even is a sun? The inhabitants have never heard of such a thing. Luna has never forgotten and now she endeavors to teach the future ruler of Equestria what exactly perfect harmony costs.

  • ...
4
 44
 643

Chapter 10- When blood isn't thicker than water- Part 3

Luna watched in silence as Moonglow and Twilight slowly approached her. As her Midnight blue eyes surveyed her daughter, she instantly knew what was about to happen. That pink mane and tail, those irises, and that cutie mark and fur color. There was no mistaking it; Twilight already knew. However, as she watched them approach, it became obvious to her the mood was far too tense to even begin the conversation.

With a twinkle in her eye, Luna got an idea. Acknowledging her daughter with the dismissive shake of her head, and trying her best not to laugh or smile, she spoke in a disappointed tone.

“My, my, daughter of mine. Twilight, am I to take this display of yours as some sort of teenage rebellion?”

Completely caught off guard, Twilight began stammering.

“M-mommy? I, no, I-I- I mean-”

Luna gave a dramatic sigh.

“Pink mane, and tail? Amethyst contacts? And to top it all off, a cutie mark of a golden yellow sun on pure white fur. So what is it you’re after, Twilight? More dessert? A later bedtime? Maybe less homework? Or perhaps…”

Her eyes narrowed and her tone became completely serious before continuing, her one wing flaring out.

“You’d like to know more about the circumstances of your adoption?”

Smiling lovingly as Twilight let out a squeak of surprise, Luna gestured with her wing.

“Come here, Twilight. Give mommy a hug, and I’ll tell you all about it.”

Standing off to the side, Moonglow’s eyes shined with admiration for her wife, as Twilight ran towards Luna wailing out loud. An effect only Luna had ever had on the filly.

“Mom-my!”

Smiling sweetly, Luna used her only wing to wrap her daughter tightly in a hug, whispering soothingly to her, as she dried Twilight’s eyes with her wingtip.

“It’s alright, Twilight, I’m here for you. No more tears. Smile for mommy.”

Looking up at Moonglow, Luna asked pointedly.

“I take it you’re responsible for this, my dear?”

Merely bowing her head in submission, Moonglow said nothing much to Luna’s amusement. Chuckling lightly, she tickled Twilight’s chin with her wingtip.

“That’s fine. After all, it is time you know. You, my daughter…”

Raising Twilight’s chin up to look into her eyes, Luna continued.

“...Are not my sister, Celestia.”

You say that...Twilight amethyst eyes shined in the moonlight as Luna continued. But if I am that filly then...

“That is her fur color, and yes, those are her eyes. That is also her cutie mark, her mane, and tail, but you are not her. And never could be.”

Gently scritching the ears of her daughter, causing Twilight to giggle at the sensation, Luna said softly.

“You do not possess her memories, her experiences, or her knowledge. You have been raised in an entirely different world and environment. You may possess her body, Twilight, but you are not my sister.”

Does that mean I really am me? As Twilight pondered this, Luna continued.

“As to how you came to be, my daughter…Look behind you.”

Luna’s horn glowed brightly, and Twilight turned around to be greeted by a massive orb of golden yellow, orange, and red fire in the center of the throne room. Her eyes wide, and watering in sheer wonder at the sight, Twilight felt strange. Like she had felt the warmth radiating from it, from somewhere before. But though it seemed familiar, it was completely alien to her. What is that? Mesmerized, she reached out a hoof to touch it, only to have her hoof smacked away by Luna. Twilight whimpered and sucked her hoof, as Luna lectured her gently.

“Don’t touch. Just listen. This, Twilight, is a scaled recreation of my sister’s sun. Though the original was incomprehensibly larger, this is what it was, a massive flaming ball of fire, that brought light to the world. While this is not the real sun and is only my memory of that time brought to life, it is still far too hot for you to touch.”

Twilight continued sucking on her stinging hoof, as she continued staring in wonder at the orb. That’s what a sun is? It’s so pretty. Huh? Before her eyes, the orb shrank down and rose up into the air high above them, while underneath it three figures could be seen materializing; two alicorns, one white and one navy blue, and a strange creature, unlike anything, Twilight had ever seen. And as Luna spoke, Twilight could have sworn its eyes blinked in the moonlight.

“I had foolishly charged in, ignoring my sister’s orders and gotten myself-”

Twilight blinked as the air seemed to shimmer, and her mother’s words became muted before stopping completely. Looking wildly around, Twilight realized she was no longer in the throne room. Instead, she was in a small room, watching herself as she reached down over the edge of a platform shouting at somepony.

***

“Come on Mom! Just one more stair. You can do it! Take my hoof!”

Reaching down, Twilight grabbed onto and pulled her mother with all her might, heaving her onto the platform with assistance from her magic. Panting from exhaustion, Twilight stood on all fours, while Luna lay on the wooden floor. Looking up, Twilight stared at a strange ball of glowing energy hovering in the center of the small space.

“Mom, what is that?”

Struggling to her hooves, Luna turned to what her daughter was pointing at, before reaching out a hoof to touch it. The orb sparked and a bright, blinding glow filled the entire platform. As the light faded, Luna’s mouth fell open in shock, and Twilight couldn’t believe it.

There, standing before them, was an Alicorn the same height as Princess Luna. With a hide of pure white fur, her mane and tail billowed with the colors of the aurora, and on her flank was the same glowing sun, that rested on Twilight’s own. The mare greeted them in a soft, warm, and tender voice.

“It’s good to see you again, little sister. I’ve been waiting for you.”

That’s when a male’s, almost whimsical, voice chimed in from behind them.

“We both have, Lulu.”

***

The scene faded and Twilight found herself in the throne room once more, listening to Luna’s explanation.

“-captured by Discord. And he proceeded to hold me hostage; threatening my life, should my sister not call off this ‘farce’, as he called it.”

Twilight found it incredibly hard to focus on her mother’s explanation. What did I just see? She thought about the scene she had just witnessed. That was no dream, it was too vivid; Too real. So what was it then? A vision? Another vision of the future? Still, oblivious to this Luna continued.

“That’s when my sister, when Celestia, put her plan into action. Convincing Discord to let her take my place, she became bound as I had been-”

Twilight didn’t understand, as she struggled to listen, her thoughts on that vision. What if it was? Was it a message? A warning?

“However, my sister cleverly covered her horn with her hooves, preventing any indication of her magic being used once bound by the chaotic being.”

Should I tell mom? It did involve her, after all. I have to say something!

The images changed, now with Celestia in Discord’s grasp as he taunted her and Luna watched on as a massive shield appeared, encasing Discord and Celestia and the orb above them as it slowly drew nearer to the ground.

“I’ll never forget what happened next. Discord was completely distracted and teasing and taunting my sister, she completely took him by surprise when he asked her if she had any last words. Celestia just laughed and shouted, ‘For Everfree!’, as she brought the sun crashing down on them both; having condensed it until it was far too small for its own mass. And that’s when-”

But what exactly would I tell her? I don’t really get it myself. That had to have been Celestia, but how, why, and who was that other voice?

Luna’s horn glowed brightly, causing The orb to come crashing down from the rafters, covering up, and exploded upon impact with the two.

“-She detonated the sun, obliterating both of them in a blast of the fiery inferno. That should have been the end of it, but Discord had a trick of his own. With his last moments, he used his reality-bending powers, to make everypony, but me, forget my sister ever existed. Still, Celestia’s sacrifice brought an end to that horrible and bloody war.”

The images vanished and were replaced by two Alicorns, one being her mother and the other being her sister, walking through the woods by an overgrown crater. This captured Twilight’s complete attention, her thoughts interrupted by a yearning to hear Luna’s description of what happened.

“Literally many thousands of years later, I had wed Moonglow, and together we had our own foal, and in time, she too had grown and wed. Starlight and I had gone for a walk one day, happening past the very spot Celestia had perished. And that’s when we found you.”

Both Alicorns vanished and an image of Twilight appeared. Exactly as she was now; white fur, pink mane and tail, and a sun emblazoned upon her flank.

“For all the world, you looked just like Celestia, and for merely a moment I thought you might have been. And then you tried to speak. Except, you couldn’t. You weren’t able to say a single coherent word, instead, you made noises; like a foal would and instantly breaking my heart.”

The images changed to reveal Princess Luna gently rocking the little Twilight, who was cooing gently in her hooves; the Alicorn dwarfing the filly considerably in size.

“I have never felt a more wondrous pain; you were not my sister, but a little filly without a family. When you made those adorable little noises, it soon became apparent; you, my daughter, were a blank slate. No memories, no skills, no magic. And immediately I scooped you up, to take you home and show you off to Moonglow. Unfortunately, that was also when we realized something together.”

Moonglow stepped forward and spoke up.

“There was no possible way for you to realize your destiny. That sun on your flank; that unique cutie mark has a destiny of its own, yet, there was no sun for you to raise. That’s when I suggested we utilize some Wendigo magic. My kind’s illusions have more than just a visual effect; by using them we can essentially cover up and change the physical and magical properties of the object beneath. Our illusions become reality until they are removed. And this includes your cutie mark.”

Twilight blinked in complete surprise at this revelation as Luna continued speaking once more.

“Together, Moonglow and I designed your new form; not to conceal it from you, but to make you part of our family. We did this to help you be more comfortable and to have a chance to live the life you deserved to live. Your own destiny, your own path, your own way to shine. You were our daughter, never anything less or otherwise, Twilight. And even now, you are still my daughter.”

Twilight began to cry as Luna’s words, her mother’s words, confirmed her absolute conviction in Twilight’s place in the family. Tears of joy streamed down Twilight’s face, and upon seeing this, Luna immediately scooped her up with a levitating spell, pulling her close and gently nuzzling her. Twilight meanwhile could only squeal out, giggling, happily.

“Mommy!”

Luna smiled and gingerly tickled Twilight’s chin with her feathery wingtip.

“That’s my Twilight.”

That’s when Twilight suddenly remembered her vision. That place...What did I say? One more stair...Could it be?

Looking up into her mother’s soothing eyes, Twilight spoke to her.

“Mommy? What do you say we climb that staircase, again?”

The Princess saw a determined fire in her daughter’s amethyst eyes and she inquired.

“Twilight? What makes you say that?”

Taking a deep breath, her little filly tried to explain.

“I saw something. A vision. A vision of the future, I think.”

In the stunned silence that followed, Moonglow chimed in, her words tinged with curiosity.

“Twilight, what did you see?”

Smiling, Twilight, remembered the platform with the orb. The Mare Alicorn, with her mane of many colors, and her regal stature. She replied.

“Somepony waiting for Mommy.”