• Published 7th Sep 2012
  • 38,129 Views, 439 Comments

A Canterlot Wedding: Aftermath - Black Kyurem



The magic of friendship was broken once on that fateful night. Will it happen again?

  • ...
53
 439
 38,129

Chapter 7: Goodbye, Twilight

"I guess things will never be the same between us ever again."


Twilight's face was tear-stained and her friends took notice of a puddle near the sofa, to which they surmised was a result of her crying quite a bit. They all felt sad with her, as they should never have been fooled by that wicked phony pretending to be Cadance.

"I suggest you see her one at a time," said the therapist. Cadance came to Twilight and hugged her. So did Twilight's parents.

"Twilight," said Cadance. "I had a nightmare too while I was on my honeymoon. It was because I had been imprisoned in those tunnels so long and it came back to haunt me. But your brother was able to comfort me and I felt much better."

"No matter what choice you make, we will always love you, sweetheart," Twilight Velvet assured. So Twilight's parents and Cadance stepped aside to allow Twilight's friends to see her and say what they want. Applejack stepped forward first.

On the willows, there
We hung up our lives
For our captors there
Required
Of us songs
And our tormentor's mirth

"Twilight?" Applejack looked into Twilight's eyes, but she only looked back at her, the sorrow in her eyes plainly visible. "Oh, Twi... Ah'm so sorry. Ah know we made this happen, but... we never meant for it to happen. Ah wish this never had to happen. Twilight, you're the best friend anypony could ask for... But ah reckon... we all failed to realize your intentions that night. Ah don't know what was in our heads to make us think you were bein'... No, ah can't say it. Ah know you're hurtin', sugar, but... ah'm hurt too. We all are. But... ah guess if you wanna start a new life... because of us... then... it's what we deserve. And ah understand. But... ah'm sorry... We're all sorry that we couldn't be better friends. Here..." Applejack removed her hat and put it on Twilight's head, surprising her. "Keep it, sugar cube," she said with a teary smile. "Ah can always get another hat... but ah can't get another you." She then shared a big hug with Twilight and afterwards, she started to walk back to the others, but looked back at her. "Goodbye, Twilight."

"Well said, Applejack," said Celestia. Fluttershy went next.

On the willows, there
We hung up our lives
For our captors there
Required
Of us songs
And our tormentor's mirth

Fluttershy could hardly speak a word to Twilight nor could she bring herself to look at Twilight's tear-stained face. And when she did, she burst into dramatic sobs.

"Oh, why did I have to represent the Element of Kindness," she wept. "I should have stayed with you that night. Why did I ever walk out on you? How can you be so forgiving?!" Twilight didn't answer, as if she didn't have the gall to even speak. Still crying, Fluttershy was still able to share a hug with Twilight. She then walked back to the others, leaving Pinkie Pie to go next. And even she looked sorrowful as she approached Twilight.

"Hey, Pinkie," murmured Twilight, hardly able to smile.

"I'm sorry too, Twilight," cried Pinkie. "We all should have known you better than to just crash a party. Now that I think about it, it's like we didn't know you at all! It was stupid! We were stupid! Oh, I wish I could cheer everyone up, but... even I don't feel like it right now. But at least we all get to be sad together, right?" Twilight held back more tears and nodded. Pinkie then shared a hug with Twilight and went back to the others. Rarity was next.

Saying
Sing us one
Of the songs of Zion
Sing us one
Of the songs of Zion

"Oh, Twilight, darling," Rarity cried. "How thoughtless I was to think ill of you. I... I... Oh, I was... evil!" She choked back tears. "If only we had been more sensitive... Well... if this is how things are, then... this is it. Twilight, you've been the best friend we could ask for, but we failed to be the best of friends to you. We'll be sad to not have you as a part of us, but... we deserve it. And don't try to tell us otherwise. We have to accept the consequences of our mistakes. But we are so sorry... and if this is goodbye, we just want you to know." Rarity shared a hug with Twilight and then went back to the others. Rainbow Dash came next.

Sing us one
Of the songs of Zion
But how can we sing?
Sing the Lord's songs?
In a foreign land?

"Twilight?" murmured Rainbow Dash, trying to hold back tears. "I'm sorry," she cried. "We should have been at least twenty percent better friends. We grew closer and stronger so much since the day I crashed into you and messed up your mane with my rain-blow dry. I know what it's like to feel like you've lost your friends. I felt it when you all played the part of ol' Mare Do Well. That same night, I almost sacrificed myself to save all of you and I swore I'd never turn my back on any of you, no matter what you did to me. I'll feel alone without you, but... I guess I'll just have to live with that... for what I've done..." Rainbow shared a hug with Twilight and went back to the others.

Now it was Spike's turn. After all, he had also chosen not to stay with Twilight on the night of the wedding rehearsal. Since no one was there to comfort her that night, Spike also felt just as bad as Twilight's friends. And he was Twilight's number one assistant!

"Twilight?" Spike was feeling pretty awful. He jumped on the sofa next to her. "We've been through everything together. I remember always being there for you and helping you through hard times. I took care of you once when you were sick. I comforted you that night in Ponyville when you got homesick. No matter what happened, we would always be friends." He paused. "But then I blew it, didn't I?" Spike then started to cry. "Wh-what's gonna happen to us? I feel like I've lost you already... and I don't want to!"

"Oh, Spike..." Twilight murmured. They shared a big hug, both of them shedding tears. After Spike went back to the others, Princess Celestia herself then came forward.

"Twilight Sparkle, my most faithful student," she spoke softly. "I feel that it's my fault for putting you through so much. And I know you've learned so many valuable lessons... but... what happened that night... didn't have to happen." Celestia even started to choke back tears now. "I should have trusted you... After all these years... you've never let me down... and now I feel like it's costing me my own reputation. I was able to ease my people, but I fear that I'm not out of the woods yet. But Twilight... I'll never, ever be able to find another student like you. You were like a daughter to me... every moment I had you by my side..." As they hugged, Twilight heard Celestia crying, which surprised her at first. When Celestia went back to stand by the others, it was finally Shining Armor's turn.

"Aw, Twiley," he said to her. "I... I can't even begin to tell you how bad I feel... 'cause I started it... But... you really are my best mare. I resigned as captain of the guards just now." Twilight was shocked.

"But... you didn't have to... It was your dream."

"My dream would have meant nothing without you in my life. Besides, now that Cadance and I are married, I've become prince of the Crystal Empire. But I want to make sure that you're okay before I return with her. You're everything to me, Twiley. Never forget that." They shared a big hug and then all of Twilight's friends left the therapist's office.

On the willows, there
We hung up our lives

"I know it's hard, Twilight," said the therapist. "But remember that you never truly have to say goodbye. Whatever your decision is, I hope that it will be best for you." Twilight nodded.

Meanwhile, her friends were waiting outside the office, when the door finally opened and Twilight came out of the office along with her parents and the therapist. Twilight had reached a decision and she approached Celestia. She then looked back at her parents and the therapist, each of whom nodded assuredly. Twilight then looked back up at Celestia.

"I wish to stay in Canterlot," she said decisively. Twilight's friends, Celestia, and Shining Armor looked dismayed upon hearing this. Pinkie's mane and tail even went straight instead of being curly as usual. Fluttershy wept quietly. Twilight's parents came to their daughter.

"Let's go home," said her father. "You've had a long day."

"Get some rest, Twilight," said the therapist. "We'll have another therapy session tomorrow morning." Twilight nodded and her parents led her away.