• Published 22nd Jun 2021
  • 434 Views, 75 Comments

The Party Girl - Godslittleprincess



Inspired by the Netflix movie Klaus. Written for FlashLight Week 2021 Day 4

  • ...
1
 75
 434

Chapter 6: Meet Pinkie Pie

The next morning, Flash got up and left the house before anybody else was awake. The sun had not yet risen, and it wouldn’t rise for quite some time. As Limestone had instructed him the day before, he followed the trail that led into the mountains until he reached a stone cabin at the foot of the mountains. By the time he arrived, the sun’s first rays were just barely peeking above the horizon.

Flash went up to the cabin’s door and raised his hand to knock. However, before he could, it suddenly swung open and slammed into him.

“Hi!” screamed the pink girl who had swung open the door. Like Limestone, she was dressed in animal skin. Unlike Limestone, she had thick, curly hair and a wide, exuberant smile on her face.

“Ow!” Flash cried out before he began to rub his throbbing shoulder.

“Ha! I knew it! I knew it! Someone was about to knock on the door. My Pinkie sense is never wrong,” the girl prattled before calling inside, “Ma! Pa! Limestone! Maud! Marble! There’s someone at the door!”

As Flash continued to nurse his shoulder, five people joined the pink girl at the door. Of course, Flash recognized Limestone immediately. She was joined by an older man dark tan skin and the thickest, grayest sideburns Flash had ever seen on a human being. The man was hunched over and leaning on a pair of crutches. Flash assumed that this man was Limestone’s father, which meant that the three gray ladies and the pink girl were her mother and sisters.

“Well, look at that,” Limestone sarcastically noted. “The city pansy showed up after all and on time too.”

The pink girl let out a long, dramatic gasp before chattering, “Oh my gosh! No way! This is the guy you hired to help out until Pa’s hip gets better. That’s great!”

She zipped up to Flash, yanked his hand, and began shaking it profusely.

“Hi, I’m Pinkie Pie,” she jabbered. “I’m SOOOO happy to meet you. We don’t get a lot of visitors up here. In fact, we don’t get any visitors at all, so it can get really boring up here, but now, you’re here, and you’re visiting us, which makes you our first visitor in, well, practically forever.” She gasped again before continuing, “You know what this calls for? A party! I’ll got get my balloons and streamers right now.”

Before anyone else present could get a word in otherwise, Pinkie had already rushed off somewhere. She came back in a whirlwind, somehow decorating everything in balloons and streamers. She was also somehow playing several musical instruments all at once.

“Welcome welcome welcome,” Pinkie sang cheerily as she played, “A fine welcome to you/Welcome welcome welcome/I say how do you do?/Welcome welcome welcome/I say hip hip hurray/Welcome welcome welcome/To our humble home today”

As soon as Pinkie Pie had finished singing, she shoved a cake into Flash’s hands and put her instruments away, er, somewhere. For a while, all Flash could do was stare dumbfoundedly at the joyful girl and the cake she had put in his hands.

“Uh, hi, I’m Flash,” Flash said when he finally found his voice.

“Well, hi, Flash,” Pinkie Pie greeted back before introducing the family. “It’s so nice to meet you. I’m Pinkie, but you already knew that because I told you ten seconds ago, and you already met Limestone yesterday because she hired you and everything. This is Pa. He threw out his hip the other day, which is why you’re here. This is Ma. She keeps everyone here fed and dressed. This is Maud. She likes writing about rocks, and her life’s dream is to write about rocks for one of those universities in the city. And last but not least, this is my baby sister Marble. She’s only five minutes younger than me, but she’ll always be a baby to me. Right, sis?”

The gray girl with long hair that was covering part of her face nodded and said, “Mmmm-hmmmm.”

“Oooh, I hope you like Neapolitan flavor,” Pinkie continued, making a fork appear from who-knows-where and holding it out to Flash. “That’s a fancy way of saying chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla put together. I even mixed sprinkles into the strawberry and vanilla layer for some extra fun. Go on. Try it.”

“Ugh! Pinkie!” Limestone scolded. “I hired this guy to work. Not to eat cake, and you’ve already made us burn enough daylight as it is.”

“Aww,” Pinkie whined, “but this is the first time anyone’s come up here to see us in forever. If you work him too hard, he won’t want to be friends with us.”

“I’m not paying him to be our friend,” Limestone retorted. Pinkie deflated a bit upon hearing that. Her hair especially seemed to lose quite a bit of volume.

The sight made Flash pity the girl, so he said to her, “It’s okay. I can always try it whenever we stop for lunch, or I can take it home with me to share with my brother and our hosts.”

“You have a brother?” Pinkie gasped, her hair seeming to get bigger along with her smile. “You should bring him up here with you some time. I’d LOVE to meet him. Maybe you can even invite the postman and his family up here too. I keep begging Limestone and Pa to bring them over one of these days, but they always tell me that no one is going to want to hike two hours into the mountains just to socialize.”

“There’s no point making friends with them anyway,” Limestone retorted. “They’re shipping out of here as soon as they can afford to. Then, the only people left for you to try to make friends with are the yahoos in town, and you know how Pa, Ma, and I feel about that.”

“Well, maybe I can make everyone stop fighting and be friends if you just let me go down there and throw them a party or two,” Pinkie argued. “I mean, maybe they’d make great friends if someone gives them a reason to be.”

Flash couldn’t help but pity the cheerful girl’s naivete. Thanks to the trying circumstances that he and his brother have had to live through, Flash has seen the worst of humanity often enough to know that some people are just that horrible. At the same time, those trying circumstances were what taught him to look for and appreciate kindness and love. True, they didn’t make his problems go away, but they definitely made dealing with them easier.

“You know, Miss Pinkie, I could tell the postman and his family about you and see how they feel about meeting you,” Flash offered. “I can’t promise you anything though.”

“Really? You’d do that for me?” Pinkie shrieked excitedly.

“Of course,” Flash replied. “You seem nice, and if you’d like, maybe you and I can be friends.”

“You want to be my friend?!” Pinkie was close to exploding with joy right about now.

“Uh, yes, yes I do.” The looks Limestone and her father were giving him as he said this filled Flash with dread. However, Pinkie remained blissfully oblivious to this.

“EEEEEEEEEEEE!” she squealed, bouncing all over the place in ways that shouldn’t be humanly possible. “I have a friend! I have a friend!” She suddenly stopped mid-bounce and gasped. “I have to make another cake right now!” Then, she zoomed into the cabin, slamming the door behind her. Not even half a second later, she zoomed back out and took Flash’s cake from him. “I’ll hold on to this for you until you're ready for it.” Then, she zoomed back into the cabin and slammed the door behind her again.

Flash looked from the cabin door to Limestone and Mr. Pie.

“Uh, so,” he began, slowly getting over his surprised confusion, “where do I start?”

“You can start by not getting my sister’s hopes up,” Limestone snapped. “What were you thinking agreeing to be friends with her when you and your brother are planning on leaving?”

“Uh, forgive me for being ignorant, but what does my planning to leave have to do with why I can’t be friends with your sister?”

“Are you planning on ever coming back after you leave?”

Flash paused, unsure how to answer the question. He never thought about whether or not he would return to the island because up until now, he didn’t think he had any reasons to return.

“Well, I didn’t have any plans to return, no,” Flash hesitantly replied, “but I don’t see why I can’t.”

“You mean, besides the town full of crazy people that your hosts live near,” Limestone retorted before motioning for Flash to follow her.

“Well, okay, they scare me a bit,” Flash admitted as he followed, “but not enough to make me be a terrible friend.” He paused to think before continuing, “Besides, maybe the two of us can exchange letters or something, you know, once I learn how to read and write better. Uh, you and your folks do know how to read and write, right?”

“What? Think we’re illiterate just because we’re mountain people?” Limestone huffed. The two of them had stopped at seemed to be a shed of sorts. Limestone opened the door and rummaged around for a pickaxe. When she found the pickaxes, she handed one to Flash and took one for herself before continuing, “Speaking of which, how come a city pansy like you can’t read or write? Didn’t you go to school or something?”

“I can read and write,” Flash cried in offense, “just not very well. Also, I’m not exactly from the city. My brother and I grew up in a small country town just outside of it. We went to school for a while but had to stop because we needed to work for a living. What do you have against city people anyway?”

“Have you seen how the postman and his son sell firewood? Trying to be ‘patient’ and ‘polite’ and ‘civil’?” Limestone said with a dismissive laugh as she lit an oil lantern. She started walking again, and Flash followed her. “I’m surprised they lasted as long as they did. You gotta be as hard and rugged as the mountain to survive in a place like this, kid, and if other city folks are anything like the postman and his kin, they just don’t got what it takes.”

“With enough time and persistence, wind and water can wear down even the hardest rock,” said a monotone, feminine voice from behind Flash. Flash started and turned around. Standing directly behind him was one of the Pie sisters. He believed her name was Maud. Like two of her sisters, her skin and hair were variations of the color gray. Her straight hair reached her shoulders, and her face was flat and expressionless.

“Don’t contradict me with your fancy book-learning, Maud,” Limestone admonished her.

The three of them continued the rest of the trek in silence before stopping at the mouth of a large cavern.

“We’re here,” Limestone announced, holding up the lantern as she led the group into the cave. “Stay close to me because if you get lost, I’m not looking for you.” Flash did not have to be told twice.

Limestone appeared to lead them down an elaborate system of tunnels that were carved into the mountain. Even though Flash could see other tunnels branching from the one Limestone was leading him down, he dared not so much as give them a second look lest his curiosity end up killing him. Eventually Limestone stopped and hung the lantern against the wall of the tunnel. By the lantern’s light, Flash could see that the group had stopped at a dead end. He could also see that the walls were laced with veins of something grey and shiny.

“We’re mining metal ore today,” Limestone explained. “Marble and Pinkie will come by a little later with a cart. Just swing the pointy end into the wall and pick up what chips off. Got it?”

“Got it,” Flash affirmed. He swung the pickaxe into the wall just as he had been told, and immediately, his arms started shaking. The shaking spread from his arms to the rest of his body to his teeth. Once his teeth stopped chattering, he turned and saw Limestone grinning at him sadistically. He nervously smiled back at her before gritting his teeth and swinging the pickaxe again.


When Flash returned to Night Light’s cottage, his whole body was screaming. He could barely hold himself upright as Ms. Velvet served everyone their supper.

“Are you alright?” Twilight asked him in concern.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Flash replied, trying not to sound exhausted. “I mean, I’m still alive, so that’s something,” he added with a weak chuckle.

“Wow,” First Base noted, “I didn’t think anything could be harder than working on the ship.”

“It’s not that the work was harder,” Flash explained. “It just took a while to get used to. I think the hardest part was working with Limestone.”

“Oh, really?” Night Light replied. “What was she like?”

“Oh, she was grouchy and demanding and seemed to enjoy watching me struggle,” Flash answered. “By the way, you and Shining Armor have only met her and her father, right?”

“That’s correct.”

“Well, have any of you had a chance to meet the rest of her family?”

Night Light and Shining Armor shared a questioning look with each other.

Then, Shining Armor turned back to Flash and said, “I can’t say that we have. In all the time that Father and I have known Limestone and Mr. Pie, they didn’t seem interested in making friends or meeting each other’s families, so the whole acquaintanceship has been quite professional. Why do you ask?’

“It’s just that one of Limestone’s sisters seems quite, er, different from the rest of the family,” Flash explained.

“Different how?” Cadance asked.

“Well, she’s cheerful, bubbly, sociable, and in her own odd way, lonely,” Flash replied. “She seemed to really want to make friends, but it doesn’t seem like Limestone or their father will let her.”

“I can’t blame them,” Twilight scoffed. “You’d have to be a pretty terrible parent to let your child become friends with the kind of people who live in Griepsburg.”

“I can understand that much, but they don’t seem to want Pinkie to be friends with anyone, not you, your family, or even me,” Flash noted. “I mean, Limestone and Mr. Pie seem to have this weird prejudice against city people, but I don’t see why that would make them want to just shut other people out.”

“Well, they’ve lived on the island longer than we have,” Twilight replied. “Maybe years of seeing the worst in humanity made them decide they were better off alone.

“Well, that’s no way to live,” Base pointed out. “By the way, Flash, what’s in those boxes that you brought home with you?

“Oh, I almost forgot,” Flash exclaimed. “Pinkie Pie sent me home with some cake. I told her I’d share them with you.”

“Uh, are you sure that’s safe?” Twilight asked nervously, eyeing the two boxes Flash had set on the kitchen table as if they contained dynamite.

“Now, Twily, I know the Pies seem savage and reclusive, but I highly doubt that they mean anyone harm,” Night Light scolded. “Besides, this might be the nicest thing anyone’s done for us since we moved here.”

“Granted, the bar is set pretty low,” Twilight muttered.

As soon as the family and their guests finished their supper, Ms. Velvet took the cakes out of the box and served everyone a slice from each cake.

“Oh, wow!” First Base exclaimed, happily taking another bite. “This is the best thing I’ve ever eaten. I mean, I know the bar is set pretty low, but this is just unbelievable.”

“That new friend of yours sure can bake, Flash,” Shining Armor agreed. Twilight would have never said so out loud, but she was strongly inclined to agree with her brother.