• Published 12th Jun 2021
  • 2,587 Views, 50 Comments

Falling In Love Again - AFanaticRabbit



On a day of celeberation, Twilight reflects on her life, who she is, and who she loves. She decides she is happy with the world.

  • ...
77
 50
 2,587

Let The Colours Fly

Twilight obsessed over the reflection in the mirror.

She reared herself up on the sink, staring at the myriad of imperfections apparent to her. She never felt most of them, but that didn’t make them any less real. The wider jaw, the broader shoulders. She pressed an ankle to her neck and chin, feeling the roughness of her fur from puberty slamming into her like a train.

It was a little much to hope that her becoming an alicorn would fix all those problems, she supposed. At the very least, the work she could put in, the solutions she could find all worked much the same.

Rather than staring at each little imperfection any longer, Twilight pushed herself back, and took in her entire self. Up close she could easily spot every tiny detail that might paint her as something other than a mare. Further out she could see a more complete picture, and the myriad of problems almost disappeared. She could still see them, of course. She knew where to look. If her face were a map, she could give coordinates to every hated geographic point from memory.

But further away, she didn’t see an atlas of disgust and shame. It had taken her years and plenty of love from friends, as well as learning to love herself again. She was a painting, with new coats of paint being applied over and over, altering and improving the original work but never replacing it. She’d grown her mane out in the years since she came to Ponyville. She had let Rarity do her makeup, to hide some of the things she disliked, and to emphasise what she did. Her eyes, for one, and the shape of her mouth.

Twilight grinned, and the feelings of comfort and surety in who she was intensified.

Rarity called from the other side of the door, gently knocking as she did. It startled Twilight out of her thoughts, but she quickly turned and unlocked it, opening up the door to the rest of the Boutique. To Rarity, standing there before her.

“You were in there for a while, darling,” said Rarity. “Is everything all right?” She tilted her head just a little, an eyebrow raised a fraction. Her voice took on a familiar tone as she asked the question, and Twilight knew what she was really asking.

She felt glad she didn’t have to lie for once in a long while. “Never better,” said Twilight. “Thanks for doing my makeup. You know I’m hopeless with this stuff.” She leaned in and down, pecking Rarity’s nose, and the seamstress flushed and chuckled.

“Oh it’s nothing, dear. Besides, you’re still getting used to this stuff. I had several decades to put it all together and become the professional I am.” Rarity made a small gesture with her head, and the two mares walked back down the stairs and toward the main floor of the Boutique. “Most of the others are about ready, by the by. Applejack’s just helping the little ones get some face paint done.” She pulled a face; a stuck out tongue and played up grimace. There was still a smile mixed into it. “Facepaint is always so tacky.”

“And makeup isn’t?” Twilight asked teasingly.

Rarity growled lightly, then tossed her mane back and held up her nose. “That’s different, you know that!”

Twilight giggled and nodded. “Yeah, I know. Still, they’re both about making yourself look different, and can be about hiding yourself and celebrating something. What sort of face paintings have they gone for?”

Rarity opened her mouth, then cringed as she heard a crash and a little orange filly fell out of a swinging door. The door smacked against the wall and Rarity frowned. “Scootaloo…”

The little pegasus blinked, then scrambled onto her hooves. She had two little squares of paint on her cheeks, one pink, blue and white and the other in shades of orange and purple. “Sorry Rarity! I hope I didn’t break anything—”

The door was pulled away from the wall, and Rarity ducked around it. There was a slight tensing in Rarity’s shoulders, and Scootaloo shuffled back against Twilight’s legs. A moment later, Rarity relaxed as she stepped back.

“...I broke something, didn’t I?” Scootaloo asked. Twilight placed a hoof onto the filly’s shoulder, and she tensed up for a moment.

Rarity shook her head. “Nothing Sweetie Belle hasn’t already done herself,” she said. “Think nothing of it, today is meant to be fun. That said…” Rarity’s expression turned a little more serious, though her grin remained. “Please try to keep the rambunctiousness out of my house for now, hmm?”

Scootaloo nodded and buzzed her wings. “I promise I’ll behave until we leave,” she said, and she went through the motions of a Pinkie Promise. She took a few steps back to the door, then paused before whirling around to look back at Twilight. “Hey, wanna get some flags painted too?”

“Like yours?” Twilight asked the pegasus. Rarity glanced up and down between Twilight and Scootaloo, and as the alicorn grinned and answered, “Yes!” the seamstress let out a small groan.


Ponyville was full of noise. Since Twilight’s castle had sprouted from the ground, making the once small and sleepy little town a centre of tourism and the home of friendship and harmony. Now it saw far more celebrations.

Twilight had seen parades like this in Canterlot once in a while. She never paid that much attention to them, having refused to accept who she was. Now she felt her heart swell up like a balloon and try to lift her off the ground. She understood a little of what it must have been like to be Pinkie on an average day.

The market was much busier than usual. On top of the usual food stalls there were booths for games and activities. The space that was usually reserved for just the Apple family’s little cart was now a marquee and several booths, selling apple flavoured treats and a few more rural styled activities that could be safely practiced in the town’s centre. Twilight recognised only a hoofful of the extended family, and only one by name.

Twilight insisted on paying Apple Fritter the bits for the pair of candied apples she picked, and then gave Rarity one of them.

“Apples, there’s something new,” Rarity said flatly, though she chuckled a moment later regardless and tried to delicately bite into it. It was, unfortunately, just a little too large and glossy for her to simply nibble, forcing her to take a larger bite and get some caramel stuck to her cheek. It left a silly orange streak right beneath the purple and pink heart painted below Rarity’s eye.

Twilight chuckled and took a braver bite herself. It didn’t help keep her face clean. She hadn’t even swallowed her first bite before she felt a napkin prodding at the side of her face and wiping the melted sugar off.

“Honestly, Twilight, you can be so messy sometimes.” She made sure Twilight’s face was clean, then tended to her own sticky fur. “A lady doesn’t take great big bites out of her food.”

“Well it’s a good thing I’m not a lady then,” said Twilight, taking on a slightly more serious tone.

Rarity paused, then frowned. “Twilight, don’t—”

“I’m not a lady. I’m a princess.” Twilight smirked and Rarity rolled her eyes before giving her marefriend a small shove.

“You are insufferable sometimes, you know that?”

Twilight shuffled back beside Rarity, their bodies touching, and she flicked her tail around to fall into Rarity’s tightly spun coil. “You love it, really.”

“No I do not!” Rarity protested, but Twilight kept smirking, using her height to loom down onto Rarity. “...Okay, maybe a little. A lot. Stop smirking at me like that!”

Twilight giggled and kissed Rarity on the forehead. “I can’t help it. You’re cute when you pout.”

Rarity pouted harder, opened her mouth to say something, then took a large, unladylike bite out of her candied apple. This just made Twilight laugh again and grin.

She watched Rarity eat as they walked, remembering to take a bite from her treat every once in a while. Somewhere ahead, Fluttershy was chaperoning the Crusaders, keeping them out of too much trouble though they did get a few stern words thrown at them from the odd stall owner, and even Rarity herself. The girls tossed back apologies, and frowns turned to smiles as they let off their energy elsewhere and slowly bankrupted Fluttershy as they collected balloons and trinkets and snacks aplenty.

Despite that, and despite the noise, the volume of ponies around them, Twilight couldn’t take her focus off of Rarity, and off of herself. She chewed on another mouthful of her apple, and reflected on what her life was like before. How dark and bleak it was, despite how good and capable she was. Maybe it was only such compared to the bright, gleaming hope and love she saw in Rarity—and her other friends—but it was definitely much better now.

Rarity caught Twilight’s stare, and another errant smear of caramel. She floated up another tissue. “What’s on your mind, Twilight?”

Twilight made a small noise.

“You’ve got that look about you, like you’re thinking too hard.” Rarity chuckled. “Reminds me of the times I caught myself snagged by my muse. Maybe not quite the same…” She ensured Twilight’s cheek was sparklingly clean once more. “Do you want to share?”

Twilight hummed, then shrugged. “I’m just thinking how much I love everything right now.” She gently bumped Rarity, making her drop her apple-less stick though Twilight caught it before it hit the floor. “You especially, of course, but just in general too. The girls, all the other friends we have. Everything seems so… Sunny.” She bit her lip. “That sounds sappy, doesn’t it?”

Rarity gently bumped her cheek against Twilight’s, and the little electric shock of love and acknowledgement made the hair on Twilight’s back stand up.

“Not at all, love.” Rarity stopped, and turned to face Twilight head on. Twilight did the same, and took another bite from the remains of her apple. “Loving being alive isn’t sappy, it’s wonderful and delightful. It reminds me that the mare I fell in love with is worth all my effort and attention.”

Twilight gently ran a hoof in circles on the floor. “You think so?”

“I know so. I know you have a unique experience with life.” She then leaned up, kissing Twilight’s lips. They held together for a few moments, and then the sticky sugar pulled apart as they separated. “It’s good to know that despite that, you’ve taken to life like you’ve taken to every dress I give you. It fits you perfectly and brings me an endless amount of joy to see.”

Twilight’s heart almost burst, and they kissed again.

Comments ( 50 )
Nailah #1 · Jun 12th, 2021 · · 1 ·

A very heartwarming piece. I enjoyed the way you used the candies apples and I could see where this was going from the beginning, but despite knowing the plot, but whole story just fills you with a warm and fuzzy feeling. Good job on this, and keep up the great work.

That was a sweet little story.

Also, happy pride month.

Really cute dynamic between the two.

The girls, all the other friends we have. Everything seems so… Sunny.” She bit her lip. “That sounds sappy, doesn’t it?”

I couldn't help but picturing Luna sitting at a table reading a newspaper, putting it down, and looking at a purple button saying "Start Rebellion" at that moment. [half joke]

10858180
That's a very good song, thanks

Looking forward to experiencing this particular moment for myself one day.

Really adorable story! Loved how nice and supportive their relationship is. Also particularly liked this bit.

Rarity pouted harder, opened her mouth to say something, then took a large, unladylike bite out of her candied apple. This just made Twilight laugh again and grin.

But further away, she didn’t see an atlas of disgust and shame.

This line is really good. But not just this line, the whole metaphor is wonderful. This is a really impressive piece of writing.

:twilightsmile: Fluffly, fuzzy, heartwarming.

Love to see Pride fics in the box. Very sweet. :heart:

Concerning number of dislikes around. C'mon folks, have some compassion. I really love this story; it's short and sweet, well written, and makes me feel fuzzy and yearning. Maybe I just have some empathy or maybe I'm an egg...
Happy pride everyone 🏳️‍🌈

So heartwarming and beautiful love the story
. happy pride yall! 🏳️‍🌈

10858855

maybe I'm an eggextremely large Scandinavian furniture store

FIFY

Love this piece!

Note: For every downvote this gets, I will introduce 27 new genders and then come to your house and teach them to your children. Your move, bigots.

Bit late to start reading.... this morning (up all night again *sigh*). Guess I'll be back... today. Looking forward to it though; desc makes it sound sweethearted :pinkiesmile:


10858855
27 d / 79 l = 0.34
there really isn't an unusual number of dislikes. Any fewer and there'd be a risk of homogeneity; the true enemy of freedom.

Ah yes, Spending several minutes of your life disliking comments on a story about a trans character on a site about My Little Pony fanfiction. The actions of a logical and well adjusted adult.'

Comment posted by Professor Donger deleted Jun 13th, 2021
Comment posted by Professor Donger deleted Jun 13th, 2021

A fluffy sweet story :twilightsmile:

10859185
when I posted the comment there was an about even number of each on the story (and now it's 30/100, dislikes have levelled off to something a bit more reasonable) which I thought was disproportionately high for the quality of the writing, and I was also talking about the dislikes on comments which is definitely higher than usual, so I can only assume they're from bigots/transphobes being malicious

Cute. I don't know why this has so many dislikes. Rarity thinking facepaint is "tacky" feels in character for me because makeup and facepaint, although similar are things that ultimately look different from a measurment of beauty im the eyes of someone like Rarity.

10859449
Yeah that makes sense. Another comment written far too late at night / early in the morning. :ajsleepy:
Thanks for being chill about it, though; that was not expected.
One catch though: Don't assume the dislikes are malicious.

I am being given the impression Twilight is a trans. Is that right?

10859678
Yes, that's the intent in this story.

Aw,I loved the story. Why is this getting so many dislikes?

waser #28 · Jun 13th, 2021 · · 14 ·

This should be longer. Right now, it is all fluff with little substance and that could easily be improved.

10859802
That was the entire intent of this fic, sorry to say :P. I wanted to write something fairly short and celebratory that's basically fluff.

Pretty decent writing. I liked how it showed this Twilight's dysphoria in a grounded, believable manner. It wasn't in my face going on and on, which I appreciate in these sorts of stories. Plus it had some good ol' Raritwi, which is always nice.

Comment posted by N o - F a c e deleted Jun 13th, 2021

Why does this have dislikes? It’s perfect! :D I think I cried a lil...

Happy Pride everyone! Here’s to finding those special people in your life, “special sompony” or not!

Reading this was way harder than I thought. Harder than I wish it was... Just the first paragraph did hit me in ways I'm constantly trying to run away from, the reason I'm too scared to do "that" step... Those little things that seems too big to just "not notice"... And also realizing I don't know how to write, hehe.

Actually, I apologize, I don't think I can finish it, yet. Too much too fast for now, but I wanted to write this comment to let you know that it's powerful what you wrote, and I'm glad to see things like this exists.

(Few hours after, I finished. It's beautiful. I don't know what else to say honestly, hehe. It looks like something I had dreamed before. Thank you for writing this.

“Well it’s a good thing I’m not a lady then,” said Twilight, taking on a slightly more serious tone.

Got scared on this part, not gonna lie.)

Considering the author's consistently good scores in past. I'd say the dislikes have nothing to do with the contents of the story but the idea of trans people being in it

I felt Twilight's dysphoria pretty hard there, as I read this. And yet I also felt the way she's come to terms with it, the way she's been accepted, and more than that, loved.

This was a lovely little fluff piece, very cute. Rarilight is a ship I have enjoyed from time to time, and being a trans lady I'm definitely a fan of any interpretation of one (or more) of the Mane Six as a trans lady. That tongue in cheek "I'm not a lady, I'm a princess" was a lot like something I'd say too. Very much identifying with Twilight here.

Well done. And shame on all of you disliking this. I know why you're doing it, and you should be ashamed.

“You especially, of course, but just in general too. The girls, all the other friends we have. Everything seems so… Sunny.” She bit her lip. “That sounds sappy, doesn’t it?”

*whispers* G5 foreshadowing

10859802

"I figured out the exact direction I wanted to take it in, what I wanted to do. This is fluffy celebration, pure and simple,"

Or it's exactly what it's meant to be.

She had let Rarity do her makeup, to hide some of the things she disliked, and to emphasise what she did. Her eyes, for one, and the shape of her mouth.

I can see how this all started, as in canon. Rarity's initial shock at Twilight's appearance, because she saw how much beauty there was to bring out from underneath the surface.

Twilight shuffled back beside Rarity, their bodies touching, and she flicked her tail around to fall into Rarity’s tightly spun coil. “You love it, really.”

tailholding also aww

“I know so. I know you have a unique experience with life.” She then leaned up, kissing Twilight’s lips. They held together for a few moments, and then the sticky sugar pulled apart as they separated. “It’s good to know that despite that, you’ve taken to life like you’ve taken to every dress I give you. It fits you perfectly and brings me an endless amount of joy to see.”

Twilight’s heart almost burst, and they kissed again.

Combining figurative sweetness with literal sweetness, a very nice touch.


A great take on RariTwi, very sweet and fluffy. Supportive Rarity is always nice to see.

I do love sweet fluff like this. RariTwi is one of my fav ships too
The tailholding :heart::rainbowkiss: My heart melted.

10859710
Because there are unfortunate number of bigots in the fandom (despite it being completely against the message of the show), and trans people in particular are the favored target at the moment, since with the success of same-sex marriage in more and more countries, traditional gay-bashing is increasingly a losing proposition. Hence the blooming of various TERF organizations, and the increased focus on trans people by right-wing political groups, in the recent years.

Teal deer: shitty people are shitty.

Beautifully executed story! I'm a sucker for this kind of characterisation through mundane interactions, and the dialogue was also spot on.

Thank you for sharing this!

It's nice, it's fluffy, and it's just... well, hell, it's just sweet. Well and truly deserves a fave. :pinkiecrazy:

Fluff comes in all stripes. Nice work.

Nice work on this story. Not perfect and a little bit of errors but otherwise this makes a nice and cute romance story between Twilight and Rarity:twilightsmile::heart:

This was great! The dysphoria hit a bit hard, but I'm glad Twilight is handling it so well. Featured on episode 311 of my podcast, Pony 411.

This is very sweet. Twilight's self-contemplation in the mirror is such a mood, but the depiction of her being happy with things is also a mood, one that gets ignored too often in trans-focused stuff.

As a sidenote of hilarity, when Scootaloo showed up in the story with her face painted, fimfic hit with me a redbubble ad for pride stickers. :rainbowlaugh:

I'm utterly dumbfounded about how you managed to compact so much magnificent quality into such a short story without wasting a single word or letting a single letter go without shining polish! Before I get too far ahead of myself, I want to speak to some of the flaws that I and others may have perceived with this story.

That is, some would say that there wasn't enough substance to this piece and that there needs to be more. I would like to remind these readers of the 'slice of life' tag, and the fact that a great many things happened in this story for such a short word count even though it could've had half the substance and still been an incredible piece. I will get to what those things were shortly. Now to the other flaw some might have, and it comes down to having a misunderstanding of what fanfiction is as a whole. To be more precise, rather unsavory people seem to be under the impression that including LGBTQ+ characters is a... Bad thing? They at the same time hold this backward opinion and want others to hold it in their hands as well, not understanding how corrosive a thing it is to grasp. To this, I have two things to say as it relates to this fic: 1. LGBTQ+ people exist, and in much greater numbers than one might expect. 2. The characters belong to everyone, and how they're presented is solely up to the creator. So to claim that, 'Oh you made Twilight trans, blech' is as narrow-minded as it is underinformed about the nature of transformative media as a genre.

Now I don't want to bog this down with negatives, so, as I promised, the thing I loved most about this story was Twilight and her emotions as you wrote them! I've seen many stories write about gender dysphoria in both literal and allegorical ways, but I've seen fewer stories write the feeling of gender euphoria. I've experienced both, and I have to say, I've never seen a more perfect and nuanced description of either!!

The way Twilight examines herself up close in the mirror and noticed her flaws, but then backs away and feels better about her appearance despite still knowing where to look for her physical insecurities is so stunningly real! Beyond that, the way she acknowledges her growth and recognizes how feminine she's become, combined with support from Rarity and her friends, as well as make-up, is a wonderfully balanced and realistic view of the give-and-take relationship being trans can be! To borrow a comparison you used, it's like a map giving a complete image of the land, dangers and landmarks, peaks and valleys, mountains and plains, instead of focusing in on one area in particular. You've given a complete image of dysphoria and euphoria.

I want to shift focus now to the other part of Twilight's emotions that I greatly admired: Growth and contentedness. That tender scene where she's strolling with Rarity through the parade and eating caramel apples, hearing the ponies celebrate and the CMC play, and she ponders to herself that she loves how things are. For me, to go through the whole journey of self-discovery and self-improvement, realizing for the first time that things are actually going great and that it's all going to be ok, is a staggering, colossal revelation. The journey from genuinely hating oneself to being ok, more than that, confident and self-assured is one that many, including myself, are still making. That's why I loved this piece so much. Because it describes that warm feeling of being content and the pride of growing to the point of happiness. It perfectly evaluates how much one has to improve still, while balancing how much one has already improved. In this sense, the emotions presented are flawless.

The story may be short, but as you yourself said, and I wholeheartedly agree, it accomplished everything you wanted. You've done an extraordinary job with this fic, it's something to be extremely proud of!

Comment posted by OfficialIKEA deleted Oct 2nd, 2022

Wholesome, with a frank depiction of Dysphoria

Login or register to comment