• Published 8th Jun 2021
  • 316 Views, 54 Comments

Marching Colors - MlpHero



A short fic I wrote for Pride Month about a civil war to secure Gay rights.

  • ...
36
 54
 316

Chapter 1: Opening

A young filly sat in class, watching the teacher walk around the room. “Now class, remember, Hearts and Hooves Day is coming up!” she sang, smiling at the students. “Make your drawings nice and neat so we can hang them on the wall~!”

The filly looked at her drawing. Her crayons were able to sketch out two couples, one with two mares, and another with two stallions. She smiled, beginning to draw hearts, among other things.

After a long time, she was done. She smiled at the picture, wondering how much the teacher would like it.

Soon, the teacher called for the class to show their drawings. They all rushed up, all eager to show off their drawings.

The teacher giggled. “One at a time class.” She then turned to the filly. “Ah, Merry? Why don’t you come up and show your picture?”

The filly looked up, smiling. She stepped up to the front of the class, ready to show her drawing. When the teacher nodded, Merry held up her drawing. Everyone was excited to see, but then looked confused. Merry smiled.

“Uh… Merry? Why’d you draw… that?”

Merry blinked. “Uh… what do you mean?” Merry asked, confused.

The teacher opened her mouth, but closed it. She then motioned for Merry to sit back at her seat. The filly reluctantly sat down, and the other students went.

Soon, class was over and the students began packing up. However, the teacher then called Merry over. The filly walked over, wondering what her teacher wanted.

The teacher sighed, holding up Merry’s drawing. “So uh… about this… drawing…”

Merry blinked. Why’d she put so much emphasis on the ‘drawing’ part? “Yes ma’am…?”

She smiled at Merry. “Merry, why don’t you draw something else? Like a mare and a stallion in love?”

“Because… I don’t want to?”

The teacher blinked. “Why not?”

Merry didn’t know how to respond. She just gave a small shrug. “Because I don’t want to draw that…?”

The teacher sighed, standing up. “Merry… I…” the teacher struggled to piece words together. “How do I explain this…”

“Explain what?” Merry asked.

After a long pause, the teacher turned to her. “A… A mare and another mare don’t belong together romantically. A stallion and stallion don’t belong together romantically.”

Merry blinked. “Why’s that?”

The teacher walked over. “You see, it’s evil if a mare loves a mare. Celestia will never forgive you.”

Merry stared at the older mare. “But… why…?”

“That’s just how it is.”

Merry pouted. “That’s unfair…”

The teacher placed a hoof on her shoulder. “It’s okay, Merry. Just try to draw something else next time?”

Merry felt a whimper escape her muzzle, but sad nothing and nodded. The teacher smiled, leading her out of the room. Merry waved goodbye, trotting away.

The teacher went back into the school. Her smile faded, and she looked at the other drawings hung on the wall. She then looked at Merry’s drawing, a hatful gaze filling her face. Without hesitation, she tore the picture up, throwing it in the trash.

Marching Colors

By MlpHero

Merry, now sixteen, trotted through the streets of Baltimare. She looked around, watching as ponies went on with their day. She began trotting faster, noticing the time. Slipping into her house, she walked into the kitchen. Her dad was cooking food, whilst her mom was reading from a newspaper.

“Hi mom, hi dad.”

Her mom smiled. “Hello Merry, how was school?”

Merry shrugged, heading up to her room. Stepping through the halls, she quickly maneuvered into her room. She threw her book bag onto her bed, sitting down at her desk.

Her mom knocked on the door. “Sweetie? Is everything alright?”

No response.

“Merry…? I’m coming in.”

The handle twisted and the door opened, allowing her mom to walk in. She looked over to Merry, who had her head on the desk.

“Merry?”

“Yes…?” she asked.

“Are you okay…?” she walked over. “You’re more quiet than usual…”

Merry sighed. “The other students were singing that stupid song…”

“Merry the mare married a mare?”

Merry groaned and slammed her head into the desk. Her mom walked over, rubbing her back. “It’s okay Merry…”

“Ugh…” Merry sat up, looking at her mom. “Why do they hate me…”

“I don’t know sweetie…” her mother hugged her tightly. Merry buried her muzzle into her mother’s shoulder. Her mother rubbed her head gently. “You know, today’s the day that the princesses debate comes to an end. If the princesses wins, gay rights are legalized.”

Merry nodded. “I know. I already voted.”

Her mother smiled, leading her out. “Come on, I put tea on.”

Merry smiled and followed her out.

~~~

Luna stared at the envelope, nervous to open it. Her sister was equally nervous. Celestia rubbed Luna’s shoulder. Luna looked over to her. “We don’t have to do this… we could just… shift the vote in our favor…”

Celestia shook her head. “You know we can’t. If our ponies want this, they want it…”

Luna felt her heart skip a few beats. This was hit or miss. And she prayed it was a hit. With a heavy sigh, Luna opened the envelope. She pulled out the paper, and her eyes widened.

The anti-LGBT ponies had won by a landslide.

~~~

Merry and her parents stood in the crowd, waiting for the results. The mayor was looking anxious. The crowd was split in two. On one side, the homophobic ponies, who were glaring daggers at the other side. The gay side.

Merry tapped her hooves anxiously. This would be the vote that decided if they were free. If she and the other LGBT ponies would be free.

And there weren’t just ponies either. Griffons, hippogriffs, yaks, zebras, probably a few changelings, small dragons. Practically every creature of every race was there.

Soon, a pegasus flew down to the mayor, delivering an envelope, before flying off. The crowd silenced. They were very rowdy, yelling and threatening each other. Now, it was so silent, that when the mayor opened the envelope, the tear was able to be heard.

He lifted the paper up, taking a breath.

The crowd leaned closer, waiting to hear the tallies.

The mayor hesitated, then spoke.

“LGBT, one hundred, forty votes out of five hundred votes…” he spoke. “Anti-LGB… three hundred and sixty votes…”

The LGBT crowd felt their hearts plummet. Even more so, when the mayor announced that,

“LGBT rights will not be legalized.”

The anti-LGBT crowd erupted into cheers. They’d won.

Merry felt her brain jam for a second. She couldn’t process what she’d heard. They’d worked so hard, but it was in vain. They’d lost the most important vote of their lives.

Author's Note:

First, just so no ones confused. A. there’s one more chapter coming out either later today or tomorrow. B. the reason it’s LGB and not LGBTQIA is because, at the time this takes place, the last four terms weren’t… well invented (with the exception of Queer, but it’s more of an insult).

That’s all. I’ll see you all in chapter 2