• Published 29th May 2021
  • 287 Views, 4 Comments

Sontavia, A Tasty Treat - TheOneAJ



Sonata and Octavia on a date to the Tasty Treat

  • ...
4
 4
 287

Tasty

“Come on, you’ll love it!” Sonata said, dragging Octavia along the sidewalk.

“Okay, okay!” Octavia said, a mix of irritation and amusement at her girlfriend’s eagerness.

Had it really been three months since they started dating? It still seem surreal that she could have been in love with anyone so energetic. Then again, with Vinyl Scratch as her sister, Sonata Dusk didn’t seem too unbelievable.

“So what’s this place called and what does it serve again?”

“It’s called the Tasty Treat and it serves... Thai I think it’s called. Not quite as scrumptious as Mexican, but it has a similar tangy kick but with more...Indonesia, I think it’s called. Either way, I figured it would be a nice change of pace.”

“Very much appreciated.” Octavia nodded, which she had to admit, it sounded appetizing. “Not that I don’t mind tacos, but still.”

“Hey,” Sonata said, coming to a stop to look at her girlfriend. “I’d—almost—give up tacos forever if it meant making you happy.”

Octavia blushed, recalling why she was attracted to the blue siren. “Aw. Well don’t worry,” she booped Sonata’s nose with her free hand. “I would never demand that of you. Now come on, I’m famished!”

They arrived at the building to find it was already packed with students.

“My guess is this place is really popular.” Octavia mused.

“Hey, being locked in for over a year, then getting all those stim and tax rebate checks, people want to get out and go to a new places after they get vaccinated.”

Octavia stared at her. “That was over five months ago.”

“And it isn’t still true?”

“Point taken,” Octavia nodded. “Although I’m definitely eager to give this place a try.”

“Well,” Sonata held open the door. “Shall we, my lady?”

Octavia giggled. “Of course, dear.”

“Hi, welcome to the Tasty Treat,” a ragged looking teen said. “How many?”
Octavia blinked. “Oh hey! I recognize you. You’re that new girl, um...”

“Saffron,” the girl answered, peeking up a little. “Oh hey, you’re Octavia Melody, aren't you? Terribly sorry, but it’s been crazy. Which, don't get me wrong, is great, but oh boy!”

“Sorry to hear,” Octavia frowned. “But just the two of us.”

Saffron gave a smile. “Well you girls have perfect timing, just cleared a booth.” She led the two ladies to the table. “So what can I start you ladies with?”

“Just water will do,” Octavia answered.

“Same,” Sonata nodded.

“Sure! Be right back.” There was a crashing sound that Saffron cringed to. She walked off rubbing her head, muttering something about needing more help.

“Anyways,” Octavia turned her gaze back to her girlfriend. “So what’s new?”
Sonata gave a so-so motion. “Adagio yelled at a couple of kids for running past her, but Aria’s anger management classes seem to be going well based on how she only ranted for an hour last night.”

“I see. Well, mom’s once again trying to push for me to go Manehattan University instead of Canterlot College again.”

Sonata stiffened. “Yikes. Although I’m guessing it’s not working?”

“Of course not,” Octavia assured, rubbing her head. “I mean, if, and I promise it’s a big if, it won’t be because I want to follow her legacy.”

Sonata gave a sympathetic nod and placed a hand on Octavia’s palm. “Well, I’ll be supportive either way.”

Octavia colored and interlocked her fingers with Sonata, reveling in this peaceful moment of happiness as the two girls stared longingly at each other.

Saffron returned several minutes later, two cups in her hand, and menus under her arms. “Sorry about the wait, ladies.”

“It’s fine,” Octavia assured as she took the menu. “You sure you’re okay?”

Saffron nervously chuckled. “Hey, me and my dad are living the dream.” She stared blankly as there seemed to be some shouting from the back that sounded more like an erupting volcano. “It has its ups and downs though. Be back shortly to take your orders.” Under her breath she said, “Hopefully.”

The two stared in sympathy. “We should give her a big tip,” Octavia absent-mindely said.

“Yeah,” Sonata slowly nodded, before picking up her menu. “So the choices can be a little complicated, but I think the basics are figuring out if you want rice or noodles and what type of meat you want. Craving anything in particular?”

“Hum,” Octavia said, mulling her options over. “The beef noodle stir fry sounds appealing.”

Sonata slowly nodded.

Octavia raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“Nothing!” Sonata tried to assure. “Don’t ask why I would think this, but I would have taken you more as a chicken type girl.”

Octavia laughed, to Sonata's relief, in amusement. “Is that so? She tapped a finger on her chin. “I would take you as a shrimp girl.”

Sonata blushed. “Hey, that’s not fair knowing I’m a siren.”

Octavia blinked at having guessed correctly, and upon Sonata realizing it was more a lucky guess, the two girls bursted out laughing.

“Okay, okay,” Octavia said upon relaxing. “You just too adorable sometimes, you know?”

“You’re one to talk,” Sonata said, sticking out her tounge.

Several minutes later, Saffron returned with a few noticeable stains on her outfit.

“You two ready to order?”

“We are.” Octavia nodded. “I’d like to try the beef noodle stir fry please.”

“And I’ll take the spicy shrimp curry,” Sonata said after handing back her menu. “Oh, and can we get some crab Rangoon for an appetizer?”

Saffron nodded, asked if they wanted anything else, and when they said no, took the menus and walked off.

“So,” Sonata said, focusing back on Octavia. “Any plans for the weekend?”

“Aside from time with the greatest girlfriend in the world?” Octavia mused. “Yeah. Silver Spoon is having her boyfriend, Button Mash, over to ‘study.’”

Sonata snorted. “And what? Your parents actually think that’s all they’re going to do?”

“Well I’ll make sure they don’t do anything too explicit, but otherwise just the bare minimum so mom and dad won’t have to be the ones home when they are.”

“Ah. Well, that makes you a way better sister than mine.”

“Now that would be a little unfair I think.”Sonata rubbed her shoulder.

“I know. And I also know I don’t make it any easier for them sometimes with my… Childish personality, but still!”

Octavia gave a gentle smile and placed a hand on Sonata’s shoulder. However, the mood immediately lightened up as the background music changed right as Saffron brought out their appetizers.

“Oh! I really like this style,” Sonata commented, chewing on a puff and looking up at speakers.

“Indeed,” Octavia nodded, sampling her own. “It kind of reminds me of this one orchestral from a nature documentary.”

Sonata tilted her head. “You’ll have to elaborate. Nature documentary?”

Octavia scratched her neck. “Yes. I know you wouldn’t think so, but a lot of shows about animals have really good scores.”

“Huh,” Sonata mused. “I think I recall this one about dragons that had a great outro!” She hummed a bit of it to demonstrate.

Octavia was about to point out that dragons aren't real, but considering who she was talking to, it didn’t feel right.

“Well, I’m curious to see this documentary now.” Octavia simply nodded.

“I’ll send you the link later tonight,” Sonata said as she merrily chewed on the ragoo.

The two spent the next several minutes analyzing the music until Saffron came out with their dishes. The pair thanked her then dug in.

“Wow, this is good,” Octavia said between bites.

“Yeah, but it could use more heat,” Sonata said, dumping half a bottle of chilli powder into her bowl.

“How you can handle such heat I’ll never know,” Octavia cringed at the one time she had accidentally eaten one of Sonata’s burritos.

“Eh, it’s either a magical Equestrian thing, or I’m simply that hot.”

Sonata smirked, which earned her a playful flick on the head.

They finished their meal, wide smiles on their faces, and gave Saffron a very generous tip, hoping it would make the poor girls day, and headed out to the early evening sky.

“Well, that was a fun day,” Sonata hummed.

“Indeed,” Octavia beamed as she held onto Sonata’s hand as they walked along the sidewalk. Eventually, they came to the part of the road that divided them in two different directions.

“Well, see you later, dear” Octavia offered, leaning in to kiss Sonata, who met her halfway. Octavia recoiled a bit at the spiciness lingering from Sonata’s meal, but she didn’t mind.

“Alright,” Sonata smiled as she pulled Octavia into a hug. “I’ll message you that score later this week.”

“It’s a date then.”

With a final wave, the two happy girls headed off to their homes.

Author's Note:

Being Sontavia king, I had to make something for the unique pairing contest, but knew with how focused I was on Sunset’s Mermaid Feet I’d never be able to make something complex. Thankfully my friend Jade made this cute little picture for me, and I found it therapeutic to write in some of Saffron’s troubles to deal with my own irl job stresses.

Comments ( 4 )

Tasty prereader-notes


Hey,” Sonata said, coming to a stop to look at her girlfriend and *run her hands. “I’d—almost—give up tacos forever if it meant making you happy.”


Ex: Run her hands through what? Do you mean run her hands together?




“Now come on, I’m starving!”


Since Octavia is really sophisticated I think ‘famished’ would sound better here.




Adagio yelled at a couple of jr. high kids for running past her,


Ex: Pretty sure jr. high is an outdated term.


Sonata gave a sympathetic nod and placed a hand on *her.


Ex: Be more specific as to where


“I know. And I also know I don’t make it any easier for them sometimes, but still!”


Ex: how so?




“Oh yeah?”


I think I’m general, Octavia’s language should be a little more classy to fit with her character, and also, they say ‘oh yeah’ way too much.

Are you sure this still counts as a rare pairing? You've written so many stories for this pairing now that I think it's over the contest limit of 5+?

10838136
?! :/
Well... meh, it’s technically an odd pairing outside my folder stories, I’ll take my chances. Besides, honestly not expecting to win regardless, just wanting o have something Sontavia in it and I’ll be happy :twilightsmile:

“Hi, welcome to the Tasty Treat,” a ragged looking teen said. “How many?” Octavia blinked. “Oh hey! I recognize you. You’re that new girl, um...”

A space is needed.

“Anyways,” Octavia turned her gaze back to her girlfriend. “So what’s new?” Sonata gave a so-so motion. “Adagio yelled at a couple of kids for running past her, but Aria’s anger management classes seem to be going well based on how she only ranted for an hour last night.”

Another space is needed. :ajbemused:

“How you can handle such heat I’ll never know,” Octavia cringed at the one time she had accidentally eaten one of Sonata’s burritos.

Some people just seem to like and can handle spicy food. I myself question it a lot. :applejackunsure:

Login or register to comment