• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 1,503 Views, 35 Comments

Requiem For a Quill - KingofSquirrelz

  • ...
13
 35
 1,503

On the Road Again

The sound of gilded bits falling from Celestia’s hoof was the only thing that was on his mind as she divvied out his travel and lodging expenses. “More.” Quill cooed as the personal watched Celestia fill a third bag pump with the precious metal.

Celestia royal guards ground their teeth in silence as they watch the presumptuous stallion demand more money from the ruler of the kingdom. Only for them to grow with murderous intent as their beloved princess complied filling the fourth bag.

A wry, almost sadistic smile grew on his face as she sealed up the leather pouch “I think that will be enough, let’s go get my granddaughter out of those shackles now shall we, dear.” The venom in his words could have poison a snake.

Celestia almost face hoofed, why did I have a thing for writers, I could have had a handsome knight. Noooooo, I choose a scrawny writer. What was I thinking back then?

Quill eager put the bags into the cloth saddle bag, taking even more joy as the large thumps sounded evenly as they hit the base of the container.

Celestia sighed as the pair set across the marble floor of the treasury. The soft jingle of the bits sounded in the halls as they made their way towards the keep. The servants that they passed by shot glares of contempt as they watch the arrogant stallion walk side by side with the ruler of the nation as they were equals.

Who does he think he is?

Quill frowned as he faced his foe again, the dreaded stairs. Again with these contemptible beings, my adventure starts with such a formable enemy. Celestia took the stairs two sets at a time, while the stallion took heavy breaths climbing them as easily as possible. First thing, training regimen.

Celestia was waiting at the top of the stairs for the not out of breath charcoal mane pony. She stifled a chuckle as she pushed the lustrous doors open to a nearly empty room. Two alabaster pegasus stallions with matching gilded armor where sitting at a small round table. Both leaning back in chairs through cards into a large black hat.

They took the sound of hoof steps and nearly fell over in their chairs as they saw the white alicorn watching them. Her ever pressing gaze judging there movements. They wordlessly stumbled out of their respective spots and trotted towards the white chariot.

The older of the two stallions spoke up. “Morning your heir'ess, where will ya’ be goin’ this lovely morn.” He said in a thick accent, obviously a decent from line in Trottingham.

Celestia sigh in contempt as her point to the stallion next to her, “To the holding cells in the northern district.”

The pegasus stallion nodded, “Rightio, will yah friend becoming too?” This however was already answered as Quill took the nice seat on the chariot that was meant for Celestia. The alicorn took the less comfortable seat next to Quill as she just nodded in silence.

“We are going to go free are granddaughter the irons.” Quill said with a smug look on his face, with an odd mixer of a foal getting a birthday gift early. Both the stallions shot a glance back at Celestia who just waved her hoof.

“Ignore him, let’s get moving.” Without another word spoken, they took off through the opening in the all at the far end of hall. Quill was pushed pack into the seat from the momentum of the youth pulling their hardest. Oh to be young again, maybe if I wasn’t five hundred and twenty three years old.

The caramel stallion leaned back and enjoyed the ride as the clouds broke against his coat as soft dew particles clung to it. I missed you sky, old friend. The reunion though was cut tragically short.

They were already there.

They descended into the cobbles stone path into front of the holding penitentiary. The on lookers stood in awe wide amazement as they bowed before the royalty who graced them with her presence. She smiled and gave a waving hoof to each of the as they cheered her name.

Quill however was not as enthusiastic about the princess as most; he wished he could leave this city as fast as his hoofs could carry him. Again contemptible stares were given to the pegasus that didn’t bow before their royal guardian. Quill paid no mind to them, if they knew that he been bowing the last five hundred years, they wouldn’t be so presumptuous with their ideas.

After almost pushing their way through the doors of the building to be welcome with a nearly empty lobby, save for the mare behind the country who was paging through a magazine filled with stallions posing in erotic positions, a derped look on her face as she engrossed herself in her imagination.

She never heard the door open as the princess peeked over the counter to see what as so amazing to catch her subject’s attention away from the royalty before her.

A light blush worked its way to her cheeks as she looked at an M/M combination of grossly well-endowed stallions covered in chocolate sauce.

“Oh buck.” The receptionist said she looked up from her page. Celestia’s horn glowed as the magazine founds its way under her wing.

“I shall be confiscating this, its better if you pay attention to your duties.” Celestia winked. “Now I need you to open the cell of Trixie, we need to speak to her.” The receptionist looked over the alicorn to see the stallion standing there; she complied and led the way down the unicorn wing.

This wing was specially divided with magical dampeners to house powerful unicorns. Right now however, there was only one unicorn.

The receptionist put her hoof to holding chamber, the contact causes several of the inter-mechanical locks to unbolt and set free from the wall, as a loud thunk was heard for the last large physical lock was released.

“You may go.” Celestia said she complied as she nearly bolted away.

Quill watched the mare run past, she must hast been lonely, such small birthing hips.

“The great and powerful Trixie demands you tell me who is there!” Trixie bellowed from behind the cell door. Quill raised a brow.

She speaks in the third tongue, what an odd manner of speech.

Quill stepped past the stationary alicorn as he entered the cell, the padded room was estranged as the only greet he was met with was the contemptible glare of a mare with a grey-blue coat, and a silvery mane.

By the nine, why is she restrained?

Her mood did a complete one-eighty as the princess stepped into the room. “Good evening Trixie.”

The stallion felt a gut wrenching sour taste in the back of his mouth as he say his grand-daughter bow before his former lover. “Your highness, Trixie must apologize; if I knew it was you I would never have been so rude.”

She smiled as she sat down in front of her, “It is quite alright my little pony, and I have come here to ask you a favor.”

Her gaze shot up from her exceeding low bow, small tiny stars sparked in the back of her irises. “Trixie will do anything for you Princess Celestia.”

A sheepish grin grew on her face. “Well I need you to help this stallion here on an errand of his, I’m sure you will be handsomely rewarded.”

Quill chuckled, “You make is sound like I am heading off to milk the cows of a farmer, I think you should tell h—“

“The great and powerful Trixie will help him, so what is this about a reward…” a wry smile grew on the back of Quill's face.

An eye for the prize, she truly is a Quill. I bet she is always truthful and has a strong sense of right and wrong as well.

Princess Celestia put a hoof to her chin, “How about an estate, and forty acres of land.” Trixie’s mouth nearly hit the floor, owning real land was an entirely new venture.

Quill however wasn’t satisfied as he slammed his hoof to the ground. “Hast you already forgotten Celestia, land is nothing more than dirt. You treat your kin with mere baubles than what really matters here. She is a Quill; you will give her what is her birth right!”

The mares in the room both looked at the enraged stallion, “Trixie thinks he has gone off the deep end, Trixie is not a quill, which is a writing tool. What is this about birth rights?”

Princess Celestia sighed, “I knew you would want something like this Quill.”

“Hast ye already forgotten, tea and sweet words won’t make up for what hast transpired. Be grateful I accepted your plan, I shall restore the Quill name to its former glory and beyond.”

The silvery mane mare stood now staring daggers at the rude stallion. “Trixie will not have you talking the princess like that, filth.”

Quill stood and glared back at her with just as much intent, “You will not speak to your elders in such a manner, and you’re a Quill, act like one!”

Trixie just raised an eye brow, “Elder? Your can’t even be past your mid-twenties, Trixie think you should have a room in the loony bin.”

This time the thunderous stomp came the agitated alicorn, “Fine Quill, I shall reinstate her birth right, only if she helps you.”

Quill sat on his haunches, a smug smile of victory, “You made a wise choice, Celestia.”

Trixie looked at Celestia with more confusion than ever, “Trixie wants to know what this birth right the crazy stallion is talking about.”

The alicorn sighed as she looked out the small window in the room, “I need to tell you a story.”

- - -

This time Trixie’s mouth did in fact hit the floor; Quill just leaned against the wall as Celestia told the events of the past to the young mare, up to the present day.

“… and that is why you I want you to assist Quill with his adventure. He will need a pony from this time to help him adjust, alas some of the places are quiet perilous and he will need your help.”

Trixie however wasn’t paying attention, she only mental connected one thing in the entire story that she told to her.

Trixie was a princess, not some far off no pony relative, no, a descendant of Princess Celestia herself.

Quill near doubled back in surprise as Trixie’s demeanor almost paradigm shifted, as she leaped up off the floor crying into Celestia’s mane. “GRANDMA!”

Celestia caught Quill’s smirk as he mouthed the word ‘grandma’ over and over again.

This little high that he got was immediately depleted as the mare extended her hoof around Quill’s neck and pulled the family into a group hug, “GRANDPA!”

This time Celestia was the one with a wry smile mouthing the word ‘grandpa’ over and over again, although he didn’t mind, he like it actually.

Trixie broke the hug as she sniffled with a toothy grin on her face, one that resembled a foal who just got the one thing she ever wanted for a hearth warming day present.

Her face tear stained with her previous moment of bawling, she sniffed. “Trixie wants to know when she starts this little journey.”

Celestia coughed, “Today, I have already sent ahead a letter for your release. No more stealing, you’re going to be a princess soon. Bad for the public image.” She winked as she turned her gaze to Quill. “I shall leave you too it, you have everything you need.” She put a hoof to his should, and the pain was immediate.

Quill nearly toppled over as he checked his coat, there wasn’t any mark. A small tear started to swell up on his eye, Quill have an extremely low threshold for pain.

Before he could protest Celestia was already talking, “Don’t worry about the pain, it’s just a minor enchantment, so I can send letters to you by dragon fire so I can send you updates on locations of the pieces of requiem.”

Quill rubbed the tender spot, “You could have warned me, hast common courtesy waned in the past five centuries.”

Celestia turned to leave as the stallion and the mare got up and followed in hoof. He kept his goodbyes to the princess short and sweet while Trixie tried to pry her for information about her ancestry.

This was going to be a long journey indeed, Quill thought as he saw the alicorn take off into the sky, taking her and the chariot with her. The crowd that gathered to see her fly away slowly dispersed. No pony taking any real interest in the odd pair.

A stallion with a light golden coat, a charcoal mane with a grey streak running through it, and a silver shield with a black quill over it.

A mare with a greyish blue coat, a light silver man that sparkled in the light, and a wand with magic drifting out the tip.

When Celestia’s silhouette had finally dispersed from the horizon, he sat down in the middle of the seat and opened his forest green cloth saddle bag.

Trixie now being left alone with her dearly, young, grandpa, was taking interest in his features as he rummage through his bag. So this is my grandpa… I wonder how many generations ago he is… her thought process was cut off with the sound of three large bags of bits hitting the ground next to her hoofs. Her eyes nearly doubled in size, “Trixie wants to know what this is for?”

Quill now tightened the bag around his belt, as he started to walk away, “It’s to live on, and I never planned on you joining from the start. When I heard you were in prison, I had to act, you are my kin after all, if I survive this adventure I'll come get you so you can claim you birth right, till then I hope you have a great life. Though is I don’t come back in a year, consider me dead.”

Trixie was at a loss for word, the bits on the ground were sure enough for her to live well upon for the next five years. Although her mind quickly decided the better rout, she was still in fact a Quill. The stallion didn’t notice the thunder cloud grow above him; he did notice the lightning bolt strike the mail box in front of him.

Quill font himself sitting on his plot looking as the scorch marks, his heart pounding faster than a jack rabbit on joke.

“Trixie will be coming with you, grandpa. The great and powerful Trixie needs to make sure that you do not die, Trixie will become a great and powerful princess.”

The stallion just looked back at the mare, her old contestable glare was now in full effect, and Quill couldn’t help but smile. She is a Quill after all, “Thou shall regret thine words, mark mine tenfold this day.” He said as he worked his way to his hoofs. “Come let’s find an inn before night fall, and I want to do a bit of shopping for now, extra necessities of the trade.”

“Trixie knows a great place to sleep, meet Trixie in an hour at the Canterlot gates.” Quill just waved a dismissive hoof as he looked at the map of Canterlot.

“One hour, I must make haste myself, the shop upon its final hour.” Quill set off in hoof, while Trixie left in the other direction.

Now where is that music shop?

:One Hour Later:

Quill sat in on a bench that over looked the view of the valley below, as he played a soft melody on an ocarina that he had purchased, along with a plethora of other instruments that an old traveling minstrel would find a necessity.

I can’t believe the shop master didn’t want to barter, I remember when I could get a harmonica for three chickens. Forty bits for a guitar, hast the economy driven to the sky while I was stoned?

Quills inner monolog was cut off as he heard the tussles of a self-sustaining moving wagon, what caught his attention the most what there was no pull system. The red shingled wagon had six windows; the wood looked like polished iron-wood. Trixie burst from the front door, although she was wearing a cape and a magician’s hat covered in the stars of night.

“Trixie hopes you like it grandpa, this will be are new home while we are traveling. Trixie is not a fan of sleeping in beds that are not her own.” She nodded in a matter of fact tone.

Quill looked over the wagon, well if I don’t have to pull it… “Great, now lest head forth, I wish to make it to the edge of the forest before nightfall.” Quill took a seat on the couch that was on the front porch of the wagon.

A smile grew on her face, “Trixie thinks this is going to be a fun time.”

Quill nodded, “Quiet, are first stop is the Everfree Forest to collect Nightmare Moon’s shell, Nightshade. From the map it seems there is a nearby town called … Ponyville, that shall be are first stop.”

Trixie stopped smiling.

Quill didn’t notice as the wagon started to move on its own as he took out a guitar. “Let me teach you a song from the past, his name was Winnie Nelson, I think his song would be appropriate here.”

₰ On the road again ₰

₰ Just can't wait to get on the road again. ₰

₰ The life I love is making music with my friends ₰

₰ And I can't wait to get on the road again. ₰

₰ On the road again ₰

₰ Goin' places that I've never been. ₰

₰ Seein' things that I may never see again ₰

₰ And I can't wait to get on the road again. ₰

₰ On the road again ₰

₰ Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway ₰

₰ We're the best of friends. ₰

₰ Insisting that the world keep turning our way ₰

:Canterlot Castle:

Luna walked into her sister room after a long nap; I wonder if Tia has any more of that Night-Quill. She thought as she sniffed away on the cold she had.

As she pushed through the door she caught her sister in a very compromising situation with her hoof over a tender area, as she scrolled through what looked like to her as a dirty magazine.