• Published 6th Sep 2012
  • 1,730 Views, 29 Comments

Break Free - Nightroad



We all feel as though we're just part of a larger group. One mare wants to break free from the norm

  • ...
4
 29
 1,730

Break Free

You never realize how cold stone really is when you're up and moving; living your life. It isn't until your whole body is thrust down upon it as ponies call you a brute or some out of control disk jockey. Of course they'll all blame it on your lifestyle. “She must be drunk all the time.” They'd say. “She's probably so far gone into those drugs she can't even understand us.” They'd sneer. But Vinyl Scratch was never one to touch those things. Sure, she was all for having a good time but those were just never appealing to her. If other ponies did it, that was their business. No, Vinyl was just a mare trying to make a living. She went from day to day, avoiding the glares and stares, the harsh words and hateful speeches, anything that would try to derail her.

She had had hundreds if not thousands of opportunities to embrace the stereotype that all DJ's were drug hazed idiots. She wanted to make beautiful music (maybe not like Octavia's, but beautiful in it's own way) and share it with ponies but was smart enough to know that if she took up the stereotype, her music would never be beautiful. So, as if to spite her they took her beautiful music and instead, twisted it into something sinister and evil; something that only fools and druggies would listen to while they mounted each other with reckless abandon or shot themselves up with whatever drugs were available.

There had only been one mare other than herself to see the beauty in the beats she played and Vinyl had scared her away. With a heavy sigh, the unicorn picked herself up and brushed the broken shards of glass off of her face and onto the floor. She felt blood weep from the lacerations, but she didn't care. Her one of a kind shades had been destroyed when she landed, she scared away the only pony that she could love, her career had been crushed, and her dream annihilated in one fell swoop. Vinyl walked over to the wall and looked out the barred window down at the faint lights of Canterlot.

After a few minutes, she lowered herself back down, wincing as her front hooves made contact with the ground once more. They were sore and throbbing but she knew there wasn't much she could do for it. So, the former disk jockey spun around and sat right under the window and stared at the pale moonlight that illuminated the ground in front of her. With nothing else to do except await her trial or punishment, Vinyl Scratch sat there...and thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The building was shaking with the force of the music Vinyl was pumping out. She rocked her head to the rhythm of her music, keeping time with each nod. She couldn't even hear the crowd anymore; it was just Vinyl Scratch and her music now. The unicorn was in her own world as she played her music for the ponies on the dance floor. It was just another night for them, but for Vinyl, it was a chance to share the wondrous and unique beauty of her music. She knew that nopony appreciated it like she did, but she played anyway if not just for her own satisfaction. As the song neared it's end, Vinyl rose her head and opened her eyes and what she saw nearly shocked her.

There, sitting near the back of the room was a pegasus more beautiful than any she had ever seen. Her coat was a divine yellow that clashed with her alluring pink mane, but she managed to pull it off amazingly well. She kept her angelic teal eyes glued to the floor; a surefire sign of shyness. The yellow pegasus's wings would stretch out ever so slightly, then snap back to their owner's side. To Vinyl, it was as if the celestial body that lay in Princess Luna's responsibility had fallen from the heavens and hit the DJ, knocking an epiphany into her.

'She's...she's...' Vinyl couldn't even begin to describe how the pegasus looked to her, but it was definitely a word that was used to describe something of priceless value and of sheer beauty. When the music stopped, the ponies all cheered and hollered in approval, making the DJ snap back to reality as her tunnel vision cleared and allowed her to notice the rest of the room. “Er...Thanks everypony. I'll be here until Thursday so be sure to come back and catch me, DJ Pon-3 every night until then. Got it?” Again, mass cheering filled the air as she bowed and rushed off-stage to talk to the pegasus.

She pushed past drunken and sober ponies alike, not stopping to talk or accept compliments. Her mind was focused on one pony and she was determined to at least talk to her. Finally, a flash of pink caught her eye and she ran to it. However, she was surprised to see Ponyville's premier party pony dancing in front of her. “Pinkie Pie?” The pony in question stopped and stared at Vinyl. “Oh, hiya Scratchy! Great set tonight!” Pinkie shouted as her ears continued to ring, blocking out most other noise. “Listen, I need your help!” Vinyl knew that Pinkie could barely hear so easily adapted to shouting. “What'cha need?”

“I need you to help me find somepony! She's a yellow pegasus with pink hair and-” Pinkie stopped and smiled. “You must mean my friend Fluttershy! I think she stepped out for a breath of air.” Vinyl Scratch grinned and thanked the party pony and ran towards the door. The unicorn burst through the door and immediately started looking around. Finally, she spotted the pegasus near one of the overlooks that allowed a pony to see all of Canterlot since the club was a little higher up in the mountains (Vinyl had to relocate it after the guards had gotten one too many noise complaints). She started to walk over but stopped as thoughts of doubt began to rush through her head. 'How's my mane? Does my breath smell bad? Do I smell bad? What if she doesn't want to talk? What if she's just like all the other ponies here and wasted?'

The alabaster DJ shook her head and lowered her shades as she neared the gorgeous pegasus. “Um...hello.” The yellow mare squeaked and cringed away in fear. “Oh! I'm so sorry! I'll just go.” Vinyl replaced her shades on her head and spun around. 'Smooth one Vinyl. You're supposed to be fearless of stuff like this and yet you can't even-' Her thoughts were interrupted by a voice that could only be rivaled by the voices of Luna and Celestia when they sang. “I'm sorry about that, you just kind of scared me.”

Vinyl turned back around and took off her shades once again. “Yea, I tend to do that a lot sadly.” The pegasus giggled softly and Vinyl felt her heart melt. “You have a lovely voice.” The DJ said absently. Seeing the pony in front of her blush made Vinyl want to keel over from the sheer cuteness this pony was showing. “Oh...um...th-thank you. So...um...what's your name?”

“Right, sorry. I'm Vinyl Scratch or as my fans call me, DJ Pon-3. What's your name?” The yellow mare looked at the ground for a moment as if to call up some reserve of strength and said in a near whisper, “My name's Fluttershy.” Vinyl couldn't believe it. 'Even her name is just...wow...' Then, something clicked in the DJ's head. “You're one of the ponies who saved Equestria, aren't you?” It was easy to tell that the pegasus wasn't used to this much praise. Fluttershy just nodded her head, trying to beat back the massive blush on her face. Vinyl smiled and got just a bit closer. “So, I hate to be rude, but you really don't look like the kind of pony who'd be into the music I play.” Fluttershy was silent for a good 6 or so minutes and the unicorn was afraid she had overstepped her boundaries.

“I know, but Pinkie insisted that I take a little vacation and try new things. Besides...I kind of like the music you play.” The yellow mare bashfully hid her face behind her mane, causing a small blush to dance across Vinyl's white face. “There's a sort of...sadness behind it, like you're reaching out for somepony who you want to understand your music.” Vinyl's jaw dropped. 'I...I don't believe it...Either she's a mind reader or she's just that good with ponies.'

“I'm sorry, I didn't mean to assume or offend you. I was just-”

“No, it's alright. And I'm glad you said that.” Vinyl looked into the sky and at the various twinkling stars that graced the night sky. “You're the only pony who has understood that about my music. Sure it's just noise to a lot of ponies and even to most of the one who PLAY it...” The pale pony sighed and said, “Sadly, it's because of them that most people believe that us DJ's are just party animals with no sense of anything.” Fluttershy nodded and said, “I heard a lot of ponies complaining about the club and the music and about DJ's themselves.”

She looked up and saw a tear forming in Vinyl's eye. So, being the kind pony she was, moved her hoof and tenderly wiped it away. Vinyl looked at the pegasus for a moment before smiling softly and taking the yellowed hoof into her own. “I don't think any of what they said is true. Everypony deserves a chance to prove themselves.”

“It's a shame there aren't more ponies like you in Equestria Fluttershy, it truly is.” The DJ said with a sad tone. Fluttershy moved closer and offered her wing for comfort. Vinyl looked at Fluttershy for a moment, as if she were afraid that the pegasus was just joking and was about to play a cruel joke on her heart. However, the warm smile and soft eyes that the pegasus held were just too inviting so, with a light chuckle, Vinyl accepted the warmth and the two stayed like that for the rest of the night. When the sun finally broke over the horizon, Fluttershy couldn't stop the yawn that escaped her lips. “C'mon. You can crash at my place tonight.”

“No, I don't want to be a burden.”

“If you're a burden, then I'm an Ursa Major. Come on.” The yellow pegasus chuckled softly and admitted defeat, knowing she was too tired to continue fighting. So, while leaning on Vinyl as she took the lead, Fluttershy walked with the DJ, trying to memorize the route they were taking but ended up falling asleep before they even made it a block away. The unicorn didn't mind as she lifted up Fluttershy with her magic and carried her the rest of the way home. Many ponies would be surprised if they ever saw Vinyl's house; it was actually very neat and tidy, further removing herself from the stereotype that haunted her. She locked the door behind her and quietly climbed the stairs and after making sure Fluttershy was comfortable, removed her shades completely and passed out beside the pegasus and getting the best sleep of her life.

It wasn't until late afternoon that the mares had woken up. Fluttershy was a bit shocked to find herself in the arms of the sleeping DJ, but didn't protest at all. Vinyl on the other hand nearly flipped out to wake up and find herself cuddling Fluttershy. “I'm r-really sorry about that...” Vinyl said, failing at staving off the huge blush on her face. The pegasus smiled and waved away the apology. “It's alright Vinyl, really, it is.” The DJ smiled and allowed Fluttershy use of the bathroom first. When they had finished their business and had eaten something, (Fluttershy had taken command of the kitchen as Vinyl was in the bathroom and had made an amazing dinner consisting of tomato soup and garlic bread) had headed back towards the club.

“I thought it didn't open until later tonight?”

“It doesn't, but I like to practice for a bit while the building is empty.” Vinyl explained. Fluttershy nodded and followed the DJ silently. When they arrived, Vinyl unlocked the door, allowed Fluttershy, then locked it back up again. “Wait...how did you lock it last night? We never left the overhang until we went to your house?”

“I don't own the club silly. I just play here.” Vinyl said with a laugh. Fluttershy laughed with her, but stopped suddenly when they walked into the main room. “It's so...different when it's empty.”

“Exactly so cutie.” Vinyl covered her mouth quickly after the word had been said, but sighed in relief when she saw Fluttershy looking in awe at the empty room. “Go ahead, have a seat while I run some tests.” Vinyl headed up to her pedestal and proceeded to run through her usual tests and checks to make sure none of the equipment was damaged or wasn't working right. When she was satisfied, she brought the machine to life and began to play a simple beat which quickly evolved into a complex masterpiece of her own design. She had become lost in the music as usual when she heard heavy breathing.

She looked up and saw Fluttershy dancing in the middle of the empty floor. The DJ gawked in amazement as she continued to play and watch the pegasus dance. The way her hair twirled as she spun, the subtle way she would use her wings to keep herself balanced when she did more complex moves, the almost haunting way her eyes fluttered whenever her face met the light. Everything about Fluttershy in the one moment was absolutely captivating to the DJ as she watched. Finally, enough was enough and the DJ launched herself over her machine and towards Fluttershy. The pegasus noticed the sudden stop of music and opened her eyes. “Vinyl? What's wro-”

Her words were halted by the sudden crashing of lips against her own. Vinyl had abandoned her shades half way to Fluttershy, who was stunned to do anything but close her eyes and let the rapturous feeling envelop her. She wrapped her hooves around Vinyl and pulled her closer and after feeling a sharp flick of the unicorn's tongue against her lips, opened her mouth readily to the white pony. It wasn't until they needed to breath that they broke apart and Vinyl's first words were, “Fluttershy! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to just attack you like that! It's just that-” This time, it was Vinyl Scratch who's speech was halted by a kiss.

It wasn't as powerful and commanding as the kiss Vinyl gave to Fluttershy; it was a gentle and tender kiss. “It's okay Vinyl...it's okay.” Vinyl couldn't help the overwhelming emotions she felt and hugged Fluttershy tightly as tears squeezed through her closed eyes as she mumbled “Thank you.” over and over again. The DJ finally managed to calm down 30 minutes before the club opened. Fluttershy took her behind stage and helped the pale unicorn fix herself up to be presentable once again and after ponies started to stream in, Fluttershy left after giving Vinyl another tender kiss on her lips.

The night, Vinyl Scratch played like she had never played before and any veteran of her music would tell you the same. “It's like she's got a new fire under her turntables.” Some would say. “Yea! Whatever's giving her the inspiration for this new stuff, I like it!” Others would yell. All throughout the night, Vinyl kept looking up to make sure Fluttershy hadn't left or was just some figment of her imagination and every time she looked up, she saw the yellow pegasus smiling at her and rekindling the musician's fire.

When the night was ending and ponies were all heading home, Fluttershy and Vinyl locked up the club and headed for Vinyl's home. However, as they walked, a stallion bumped into them. “Hey, sorry man.” Vinyl said quickly. The stallion bore his angry gaze down into her and said, “You! You're that little pony that plays that awful music at that horrid club!”

“Hey now, that's-” Vinyl started to say, but the stallion cut her off. “Ugh, you smell like sex and drugs. You're just like all those other DJ's; obnoxious brats who think random noise is music and have no value on life whatsoever. Why, I bet-” His rant was stopped when a hoof shot out and clocked him right in the jaw. He staggered back a step and looked in awe at the white hoof that had a small spatter of blood on it. Vinyl was breathing heavily and trembling, causing her shades to fall around her neck. Her eyes were watering and held a rage in them that caused the stallion to wonder if he should've taken a left earlier.

“You...You're just like all the others...You think that just because I play strange music that I'm a lowlife like the other DJ's out there?!” She took a step towards him while staring him straight in the eyes. “I'm not a stereotype! So don't you dare lump me in with those idiots!” As Vinyl drew in large breaths, Fluttershy put a hoof on her shoulder to begin comforting her.

However, the stallion burst out laughing as he stood back up. “Oh please! Save me your little story you tramp! It's ponies like you that are ruining our fair Canterlot with your dubtrot or whatever it's called! You're all the same; you have absolutely no idea what you're doing and you have no clue as to how to behave. Just like all the others. Why, I bet that you can't even see straight because of the drugs you do. And I bet that pegasus is just your little whore who tends to your sick needs just so she can-”

He never finished his sentence. With a scream, Vinyl leapt at the stallion and began to smash her hooves into his face and anywhere else on his body as the anger flowed through her body like her music would while shouting, “I'm not a stereotype! I'm Vinyl Scratch!” It took 4 guards to pry Vinyl off the now whimpering and crying stallion. He had been taken to the hospital while the guards took Vinyl to Canterlot Dungeon despite the blood flowing from the one hit he got on her; right in the middle of her head, causing blood to trickle freely without resistance and he had also managed to somehow crack her shades, making it so that half her vision was covered in spiderweb pattern.

As they passed Fluttershy, Vinyl caught her eyes and saw fear in them. Vinyl lowered her head in defeat and waited until they made it to the dungeon. “We'll deal with you later.” One of the guards had said before roughly shoving her into the cell where she lost her balance, fell, and blacked out when her head hit the concrete.

“Hey, wake up!” Vinyl's eyes shot open as she was drenched in cold water. “What the hay?” Vinyl turned and saw Celestia's sun slowly rising over the horizon. “It's time for your trial.” The guard with a bucket said gruffly. She scowled and narrowed her eyes, but said nothing. As he lead her towards the door at the far end of the row of cells, a loud scream followed by the sound of a door being kicked open behind them made both Vinyl and the guard stop. “Vinyl!”

“Fluttershy?” Vinyl darted past the guard and ran to meet Fluttershy halfway through the hallway. “Fluttershy, what're you doing here?”

“I'm going to get you out! I promise Vinyl Scratch!” It was at this point both guards had wrapped hooves around each pony and were pulling them away from each other as they desperately fought back to keep a hold of each other. “I'll talk to the Princesses and I'll make them see that it wasn't your fault! I swear it! And when you're out, I'll take you out and ask you to be my marefriend!” Tears were flowing down Fluttershy face as the guard dragged her down the hall and out the door. The last thing Vinyl heard from the distraught pegasus was, “I'll show them that you aren't a stereotype!”

The guard holding Vinyl let her go and shoved her towards the door at the opposite end. As they walked, Vinyl couldn't help the tears that formed and fell at her hooves. The DJ was never one to cry openly like she was now, but she couldn't help herself. In one short day, she had found a mare who had understood her pain and had wanted to help free her from being seen as a stereotype. “I love you...” Vinyl whispered as she was lead through the door to face the judgment of the Princess of the Sun.

(Author's Note; This came to me after I saw a picture of Vinyl with a bloody nose and with a dazed look and the picture was titled "Overdose" Honestly, I hate those kind of pictures and stories where they portray Vinyl Scratch as your typical DJ. So, I put headphones in, played Element of Harmonics by Chain Algorithm and spent the next 3 hours writing this. Um...oh, sorry Incognito for not giving this to you to edit before-hand but I just HAD to get this up...It was kind of emotional for me to write despite it just being in a flash of anger and inspiration so...yea sorry. That's it I think...oh! The little squiggly things (you know, this thing ~~) Those are to signify a flashback kinda thing but I'm sure you figured that out...okay, long author's note so I'm gonna go now...)