• Published 22nd Dec 2011
  • 6,328 Views, 92 Comments

The Trouble With Time Travel - SolvableSphinx



Twilight Sparkle is sent to the past, although not the one she knows.

  • ...
14
 92
 6,328

Final Words

Dear audience members,

Thank you for your support and your readership. However, with time and my family’s health situation becoming more stable, I have found that this fic… is really clunky. And using language that would make, to everyone's surprise, Rarity blush instead of Fluttershy, I think the structural problems are so big that I cannot fix it without being an Orswellian editor. It's a glorious failure, and it will stand as it is.

I listened to critiques, read from outside sources, and made the decision to remake my story. This was a first attempt, a wonderful failure on my part. I’ve learned a lot about the craft of writing doing this. I haven’t abandoned the story, but I have… holy Hannah I don’t want to say ‘rebuild’, with Eva fandom and all…

Tolkien once said that his world seemed alive because there was something over the horizon… that by having a mystery the world did not seem constrained or artificial. So I’ve changed a few things. Instead of Twilight Snarkle’s journey being by DisQord, it’s through some unknown providence. The world is both smaller and larger. The novella has been planned out, and the first third of the story has already been completed. (I’m working on the basis of novellas and short stories now, in the vein of ‘The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi’.)

For those of you who haven’t read it yet, give Troubled New Home: What’s Old is New Again a try. It's basically the revised draft of the same story. Even if it doesn't have a TVTropes page, I think it's a lot better.

Again, thank you for your readership and patience.

You're humble eccentric Texan,
Solvable Sphinx

Comments ( 5 )

Yerwow!:rainbowderp: I... guess I'll check that out then. Best of luck and stuff.

Who are you?! What is the story?! Did you bring the oatmeal?! :pinkiecrazy:

Okay then. I'm still leaving this story as a favorite, because it was neat and made me consistently laugh.

"Is Solvable Sphinx canceling this thing again? Geeze, how many times is he gonna rewrite this sucker? I'm enjoying the idea, but I'm not sure if I'd be willing to wade through all that alternate-universe exposition a third time. Maybe he should--- Oh, wait, this is the original, not the remake. Okay, never mind."

To learn from failure is to undermine the very meaning of the word. Good to see an announcement in such good taste. Now, to look at this new thing of yours...

Login or register to comment