• Published 29th Oct 2021
  • 319 Views, 0 Comments

Alone - Quill of Filth



Wanting to fix her melancholy, Tempest goes on a journey that challenges her mettle.

  • ...
 0
 319

Fallen One

Screams and yelling echoed through the night. Crystal guards were running down the streets toward the commotion with spears at their sides.

Tempest followed them, figuring they would have a higher chance of leading her directly to the cause.

"Tempest! Slow down!" Starlight called.

But it fell on deaf ears as Tempest continued forward like she was possessed.

The screaming and yelling got closer as she reached the end of the street. The sound of some sort of explosion filled the air, followed by various rumbling as the ground shook. She went in the direction of the sound with the Crystal guards charging ahead.

But as they continued down the street, a crystal guard appeared limping toward them. He fell to the ground as the guards rushed to his side.

Tempest caught up and moved between the group, pushing them aside.

The guard was on the ground wincing and groaning in agony as one of the others held his foreleg. They moved it and he cried out.

"Yeah, it looks like you might have broken it," the guard said.

Starlight and Trixie caught up and moved between the other guards as well.

"What did this?" Tempest asked, her tone stern.

The guards around looked at her realizing she wasn't one of them, but they remained silent.

He held his eyes closed and breathed, shaking his head. "Shadow," he uttered, mid swallow.

Tempest's mind raced.

"One of you needs to escort him to medical aid," a guard commanded.

"What about the threat? There may not even be a city to come back to."

"Captain Shining is setting up a huge defense at the castle. It should be a safe haven until further notice. And we should be fine with one less."

"It won't matter," the injured guard said.

"Serration, escort him back."

The guard nodded and helped the injured one up before guiding him away.

The guard who appeared to be the leader of the unit looked to Starlight and Trixie. "I suggest you two get the castle where it's safe."

"I think you'll find we're fully capable," Starlight replied with a sly smirk.

The guard scanned her but seemed to not bother asking anything as he turned toward the others. "Alright. Let's go," he affirmed as he trotted away, becoming the leading point of the unit

Tempest followed, Starlight alongside her.

"What do you think it is?" Starlight asked.

"I don't know."

"I think we should regroup with Twilight's brother," Trixie proposed, next to Starlight.

"I need to see what it is," Tempest stated.

A yell sounded with another rumble of the earth.

The guards ahead of them rounded the corner, most of them stopping to observe what was down the street. Their eyes widened.

Tempest caught up, her expression closely matching the guards.

A large amorphous cloud of shadow crawled down the street, it's height nearly matching the buildings and its width taking up the whole street. Inside the shadow, a curved crimson spike began to poke through the top. Near the spike, eyes opened, revealing glowing green eyes with piercing crimson iris with purple smoke trailing behind them. A muzzle formed with a sadistic grin.

"Sombra?" Starlight muttered in bafflement.

The leader of the guard unit charged forward, giving a war cry before hurling the spear toward the shadowy undulating mass.

The shadow parted as the spear passed through it.

The guards expression fell as Sombra gave a malevolent chuckle.

His curved crimson horn bubbled and sparked unstable purple and green energy. It seemed to increase in intensity before a bolt of dark energy left the horn toward the guard. He jumped away, dodging the shot but the blasts shockwave knocked him further, causing him to roll a few times down the street.

The dust settled as the guards watching the scene began to back away.

Sombra chuckled again before slowly crawling toward the fallen guard, his horn beginning to charge again to deliver the fatal blow.

Magical electricity surged and arced around the shadowy mass, causing Sombra to groan and recoil back in pain. When the electricity stopped he immediately looked for the assailant. His eyes met Tempest's. He smiled. "My pawn," he noted, his voice low and almost demonic.

"What are you talking about?" Tempest commanded, her horn arcing electricity.

He chuckled, its echo unsettling to the core, "You sprung my ancient snare. Your fear and essence were the final components needed to conjure me."

Tempest's mind reeled. Components? Her essence? Despite her falter, she affirmed her resolve. "I suggest you go back into the cave you belong."

The cloud of shadow began to move inward as Sombra's face disappeared. The shadow shrunk before a smaller curved crimson horn pushed through, revealing the tall grey stallion in silver armor walking out - the shadow flowing behind him before being absorbed into his form, leaving him with a flowing slick backed mane and tail, with long sideburns. He wore a red royal mantle complimenting his piercing eyes. "This kingdom is where I belong. And because of you, it will be mine."

Her horns' electricity became more violent as her furrowed brows deepened.

"Not if we have anything to say about it."

Looking over, Tempest saw Starlight glaring him down alongside her, her horn charging a turquoise energy. "Sombra I don't know what led you down this path but you can come back."

His eyes fell.

The icy abyss of betrayal lingered. The desire to power and to fill the void within. He was always hungry for more. He glanced back up, the glint in his eyes harboring hatred. "No," he said, his voice dark before flowing like wind.

A spear flew past the duo.

Sombra glared, his own horn beginning to bubble and arc before he swiftly stomped his hoof down causing the ground to quake as a large shard of gray crystal erupted from the ground in front of him. There was a cracking sound as the spear stuck into its surface.

"All of you! Fall back to the castle!" Tempest commanded.

"Come on, let's get him out of here!" A guard exclaimed.

The shadow the crystal cast made others grow like in a malignant infection.

Sombra sauntered around the crystal, his gaze deadly as he prowled, studying them.

The crystals began to bubble before each shot a beam of dark magic.

Starlight teleported away and Tempest dodged as the beams left carvings in the street.

Using the sudden change in positioning, Starlight lit her horn, sending a beam of turquoise at Sombra.

Sombra bowed his head with his horn charged before flicking his head up, sending a C shaped blade of dark magic at the beam. On collision, the blade sliced it in half, causing the beam to pass both sides of Sombra.

Starlight, noticing the oncoming projectile, charged her horn before disappearing just in time as the blade of dark magic hit the street. She reappeared next to the dust cloud coughing a bit.

Sombra stomped his hoof again, but instead crystals sprouted at his hooves, elevating him above ground. His horn bubbled and arced again before half a dozen orbs of unstable dark magic sailed at Starlight and the area adjacent.

Starlight teleported again just as the orbs collided with the ground causing a chain of dirt clouds and many craters.

Dark beams shot from the crystals again, making Tempest dodge and duck away.

Tempest seeing Starlight reappear nearby called out to her. "Starlight! Focus the crystals!" She commanded, tilting her head toward them.

Starlight nodded before shooting a beam that cut a line through a few of them.

She glanced to Sombra who stood above. Now was the time she wished she still had her orbs of petrification, even if she did like things to be difficult. Anger flaring, she discharged her horn, causing magical electricity to arc along the crystal he stood on. He cried out as electricity began to cover his body.

His horn charged before a burst of darkness dispersed like a wave of mist.

Tempest felt the repulse push against her as she maintained form, but the electricity surging through the crystal ceased as the connection was severed.

Sombra's horn bubbled and arced again, its energy growing more intense upon him noticing Starlight's efforts. He jerked his head back, standing on his hind legs before slamming his hooves down, causing the crystal he stood upon to vibrate and hum with distortion. More dark crystals began to sprout from the ground around him, each growing smaller as the frequency subsided.

Seeing Sombra getting ready to attack, Tempest waited with bated breath.

But the beam of dark magic that came didn't aim for her and instead carved the land around her.

Tempest was confused until she saw more crystals beginning to grow from the scars.

The crystals that remained around Tempest arced purple and black electricity before multiple beams shot at her.

She dodged around, lifting her hooves and legs just out of the beam's trajectory almost causing her to lose balance.
She furrowed her brows upon noticing one beam swiftly approaching her from the front in an upward motion. She charged forward and dodged right before snaking back up from under the beam to the left.

Tempest's heart sank as she heard a cry of pain.

Looking over her flank, she saw Starlight on the ground, her face scrunched and teeth gritted.

"Starlight!" Trixie screamed, sprinting over to her side.

Sitting next to her, Trixie put her hooves on her for reassurance.

"Get her to the castle! Now!" Tempest shouted, her horn violently generating unstable magic.

Trixie saw Tempest's furious features before her eyes gazed past her and at King Sombra who watched with a fiendish grin. She glared as their eyes met. But she quickly knitted her brows, looking down at Starlight. She extended a hoof out in front of Starlight showing a gray ball resting on her frog. Despite Starlight's eyes being barely open she saw what it was. Trixie's horn glowed with a magenta aura before she threw it to the ground, a puff of smoke erupting up, enveloping them before slowly clearing, revealing they had vanished.

Tempest stared at King Sombra, trying her best to suppress her ire.

"You could be so much more powerful," he said, his voice a ghostly hiss. "If you help me, I can fill the emptiness and give you that power."

Tempest's eyes flicked to the crimson horn above his head. "You're not the first king I've destroyed."

Sombra's grin was unwavering. "Soon I won't be a king."

She internally queried but decided it didn't matter. She darted forward as Sombra began to form crystal platforms for him to descend, looking not the slightest bit concerned as he continued to smile. Tempest's horn sparked as she neared. When she reached striking distance, she cocked her hoof back for a high velocity punch.

Swinging, she missed her target. She pivoted back for another hit but Sombra was half a dozen feet away, his horn bubbling.

An unsettling energy surrounded her before swirling into her.

"You're not worth my time. And now you'll meet your match," he said, turning away.

Tempest was perplexed, wondering what he had done. Her question was answered when she noticed movement out of her peripheral vision.

The shadow she cast had begun to move, it's hoof reaching out from the street before gripping it. It pulled itself up from the earth as if it had come from Tartarus itself, it's eyes opening to reveal a wrathful crimson glow with no pupil or iris.

Now shadowless, Tempest backed away, it's overpowering aura emitting vengeance, and despair.

The street lamp did nothing to its deep black wispy form as it stood before her.

Tempest mind reeled, bewildered at the dark reflection.

Before she could ground herself, the shadow lunged forward. Tempest managed to barely duck the oncoming right hook, before stepping back to avoid the swipe back. The shadow used the momentum to go for a left hook which met Tempest cheek. The impact jerked her head away as a trail of residual black mist stained her face for a second.

But she quickly got her bearings and lifted her hoof to block the oncoming roundhouse kick. The shadow didn't let up as it cocked its hind leg back before jabbing up into Tempest's muzzle, causing her to stumble a few steps back.

Tempest's brows furrowed as her horn began to spark.

The shadow lunged forward again, not letting up on the aggression.

Tempest blocked the blow and immediately counter attacked, but when her hoof hit the shadow, it merely stopped as it dispersed the kinetic energy through it, a splash of black mist coming from the blow to the face as the shadow was unfazed. She didn't let up and jabbed again, but it was again null and void.

The shadow swung up into Tempest's chest, causing her to abruptly exhale and lose her reserved breath. She was struck across the face again, sending her stumbling back.

Tempest grit her teeth before magical electricity began to create a current and swirl around the shadow. She didn't let up as it crackled and popped. But the shadow remained unperturbed.

When she stopped, it appeared the shadow got darker as its oppressive presence grew more intense and foreboding. Tempest simply stared, her brows slowly raising.

A jolt of pain came across her cheek again making her dazed.

Blow after blow. Jab after jab. She became it's punching bag as she stumbled back, struggling to stay upright. The shadow's broken horn sparked purple and green electricity before it cocked a hoof back and swung forward, the electricity going down its own body through the forleg and into its hoof which collided Tempest's chest at her heart. The impact sent Tempest flying back half a dozen feet before rolling a few times as she hit the ground.

Desecrated and in delirium, she could hear faint explosions as the ground shook. She attempted to get up, her body straining and shaking before falling back down. She tried again, this time succeeding.

An odd sound met Tempest's ears, it occurred at the rate as if someone was chuckling but it was low like a growl. Her eyes met the glowing crimson ones.

Her horn started to discharge, as she decided to try one last time.

Electricity arced sporadically over the shadow, refraining it from much movement. Tempest put all her might into constant pressure not letting up as she moved toward it. Face to face, she pushed herself even further as she grit her teeth.

Its form appeared more misty before it suddenly began flowing into her chest like a breeze of wind. Until it was gone.

Her breaths still labored, she saw her shadow extend, going back to the way it used to be.

Deep down it didn't feel like she was victorious.

Another explosion sounded in the distance, causing the ground to shake. Tempest started toward the castle but her body immediately scolded her as she went into a gallop.

The explosions continued, raising the inner tension before they eventually stopped, which made Tempest strain as she attempted to pick up her speed.

Along the way, she noticed the statue of Spike had been destroyed as dark crystals continued to spread. But after a few minutes, she finally arrived in the clearing at the base of the castle, where various dark crystals had grown with craters and giant carvings along the earth. Spears were stuck in the ground along with guards either helping others that were injured or standing with blank expressions, but one guard was talking with a familiar gamboge unicorn wizard.

Tempest tried to recall his name but her mind drew a blank. "Hey!"

Sunburst turned, his expression dire. "Tempest?"

"What's going on?" Tempest asked.

Sunburst's eyes ricocheted around as he attempted to speak. "I-I don't know. Apparently Shining Armor and Cadance tried to stop Sombra but he got up into the castle. Then some guards came down and took the Crystal Heart and- where's Starlight and the Trixie," Tempest interrupted.

"I thought you would know," Sunburst replied, his worry beginning to rise.

Tempest looked to the guard next to Sunburst. "Have you seen a pink unicorn mare with a light green strip in her mane?"

"Tempest!" A voice called.

Approaching from the castle was Trixie with Starlight holding on to her for support.

Tempest approached, her brows knitted. "Is Starlight okay?"

"I've been better," Starlight replied.

"King Sombra has Shining Armor's and the princesses' baby! And he's holding them captive!" Trixie exclaimed.

"We need to get the princesses and Twilight here!" Sunburst panicked.

"Where's Discord?" Tempest asked.

"Who knows!" Sunburst replied.

"If you call out to him, he'll sometimes show up," Starlight offered.

"Discord!" Tempest called to the sky. "We need you here! Right now!"

"Shouldn't we have done this an hour ago?" Trixie asked.

All of them were silent, waiting intently, each second ticking adding to the weight of desperation.

"Of course he's not showing up. He's probably asleep! We should just get out of here and leave it to the princesses!" Trixie exclaimed.

"Hey!" Behind Tempest, a crystal pony was talking with the guard. "We can't leave the city! Where's the princess!?"

The guard appeared stupefied.

"What do you mean you can't leave," Sunburst asked, raising his voice so she could hear.

"There's a magical barrier blocking the way out!"

"Are we in a magic dome?" Sunburst asked aloud. "But I'm pretty sure only Shining or Cadance could cast that."

"He could be forcing one of them to cast it, using their child as leverage," Tempest replied.

"Cadance and Shining are in a crystal dome," Starlight informed. "And it was unaffected by my magic. I doubt they can use magic inside."

With his hoof to his beard, Sunburst's eyes scanned the ground for nothing until his expression shifted and dawned a look of horror. "Or he made one of them cast the spell, anchoring it to the Crystal Heart itself."

"Wait, what? He can do that?!" Trixie exclaimed again.

"I don't know. Hypothetically he could but he would need someone powerful enough to bind it to an ancient relic. And Cadance is an Alicorn."

"Then what do we do?!" Trixie asked.

"We can't destroy the magical barrier since it's using the power of the Heart and who knows how long that'll take with how limited our power is. Our only real option is to hope the Princesses come or word gets out somehow."

The gears in Tempest's mind turned. Until a thought manifested itself. "What if we destroy the Heart."

"Are you crazy? Without the heart, the winter of the north would close in on us!" Sunburst exclaimed.

"But without the barrier, Discord could enter inside and we would have a powerful ally," Tempest replied.

"You're putting that much faith into him?" Trixie asked.

"...Well, someone has," Tempest replied, in minor reminiscence.

"He's helped us before," Starlight added, her voice weak. "And with Sombra out of the way we could repair the Crystal Heart. Again."

"I really don't like this plan," Sunburst said. "We're relying on Discord to show up. Because he needs to defeat Sombra and then needs to be the one to get the other princesses here to repair the heart. Not to mention, do we even know where the heart is?"

"Our only other option is for us to try and defeat Sombra ourselves," Tempest stated.

"That didn't go very well," Trixie replied, looking at Starlight with curled up brows.

"I say we commit," Tempest asserted. "If all else fails it will allow us to evacuate the city with the barrier destroyed."

"...do you remember how to cast the spell Sunburst?" Starlight asked.

"I think I do, but how are we gonna get the citizens here? Let alone the shattered Heart?"

Tempest turned toward the guard behind them. "Hey!"

The guard's posture stiffened as she approached.

"I want you to brief every guard about getting the civilians to this sector. We're going to need them for the Crystal Heart. It's our only chance."

The guard nodded but still looked concerned as he trotted away.

Tempest turned looking up at the castle. "I'm going to find it."

"Trixie's gonna go with you," Starlight added.

"I am?!" Trixie exclaimed, for third time.

"Trixie. Go with her," Starlight demanded quietly.

"But Trixie isn't very savvy when it comes to things like this," she explained, with an undertow of anxiety.

"Go," Starlight said with a wince, sauntering toward Sunburst with a wobble.

"Oh, for Celestia's sake," Trixie whined.

"No, for Equestria's sake," Starlight corrected. "Come on, Sunburst, let's go."

Trixie looked up at the castle and gulped.

Passing Trixie, Tempest made her way toward the entrances. Making her way up the stairs, she immediately lowered herself and tried to lighten her steps as she focused on her senses.

She found herself entering a hallway that upon glancing down each end was vacant of anyone. But her ears flicked to the sound of repeated tapping coming from behind her. Looking over her flank, she saw Trixie running in place while biting her lip.

"You'd think after doing this twice I'd be used to it by now."

Tempest raised a brow but continued forward.

They continued through the spacious crystal halls, with Tempest focusing on her senses to try and locate a point of interest. Peeking down a hall, her eyes noticed a room at the very end that looked large and had dark crystals inside. Tempest crept toward the room, noticing what appeared to be a vacant throne.

She gingerly entered the room, her eyes scanning for any traps, guards, or Sombra himself.

"Hey!" A voice whisper yelled.

Looking at the crystal dome, Tempest saw a familiar alicorn mare- a pale cerise coat, a long curled violet and rose and pale gold streaked mane with light purple eyes.

She approached the obsidian dome at the gap she was looking through.

"What are you doing here?" Cadance asked, her voice weak.

"We're looking for the Crystal Heart," Tempest informed. "Is there any way to free you?" She asked, looking at the structural integrity of the dome.

"It would take a lot of power and a pretty high level spell to break this," she said, her optimism low.

"Where's your husband?"

"He's here. But he's... upset," she said, peering over at him.

"Where's Sombra?"

"He left a bit ago with Flurry Heart. I don't know where he is. But he's planning something big."

"Do you know where the Crystal Heart is?" Tempest finally asked.

"He hid it at the top of the castle again. You have to use dark magic at the top of the throne to project the entrance."

Tempest's internally cursed, loathing the fact she lacked the ability to cast such magic.

"What do we do now?" Trixie whispered to her, trying to suppress the panic.

Tempest's face dawned a look of realization before she swiftly turned toward Trixie. "You have a horn!"

"I don't know how to cast dark magic!" Trixie denied, with a hoof to her chest.

"You've done it before haven't you?"

"I don't remember and even if I did, it was with an ancient amulet!" She exclaimed, waving her foreleg frantically.

"Search yourself of fear and hatred," Cadance said, "then concentrate on it and use it with the spell.

"Fear and hatred?" Trixie asked.

"What makes you angry?" Tempest asked.

"I don't know! Discord being annoying? Twilight?"

"Just try to find something!" Tempest insisted.

Trixie raked her mind, searching everywhere, feeling the pressure of the situation weigh on her as sweat began to form.

"Hey!" Tempest said, lowering her head to meet Trixie's gaze. "Focus. You can do it," she firmly asserted.

Trixie saw the piercing motivation in Tempest's eyes before her eyes fell to the floor as she searched deep. Closing her them, she explored many derelict places she repressed and smothered. One manifestation of emotion was recent.

Her face contorted and twitched almost as if she was in pain. Her horn was alight with a magenta aura but as she tensed further, it faded into a transparent black. Flowing purple streams of mist leaked from the corners of her closed eyes before her horn began to bubble with dark energy. Then a beam of dark magic left her horn and hit the top of the throne which led to a shadow extending outward, revealing a hidden rectangular hole in the floor.

Opening her eyes, Trixie stared in awe.

"At the bottom of the stairs there will be a door that you need regular magic to open," Cadance informed. " Don't try to open it until you use the spell at the top of the door. Hurry! Before he gets back!"

Looking down, Tempest saw the stairs spiral into what looked to be an endless darkness. A magenta glow emanated beside her and she looked to it, seeing a small light glowing from the tip of Trixie’s horn. She nodded in affirmation before beginning the descent while Trixie followed after. The light from above began to fade as they rounded turn after turn, the darkness becoming more oppressive. Soon the only source of light was the magenta one coming from behind Tempest as she continued down toward the blackness.

“How much further do we have to go?” Trixie asked.

“Turn the light out,” Tempest stated, stopping.

The light dimmed, letting the darkness bathe them. Her eyes adjusted as everything was a low blue and black hue. She peeked over the edge of the stairs, seeing just a black hole

“Do you see the bottom?”

“I’m sure it’s close,” Tempest reassured.

The pink glow relit as they continued, their hoof steps gently echoing. After a minute or two, Tempest’s hoof finally hit the bottom. In front of them was just as Cadance informed, a door

Trixie craned her head, seeing a small circle of light directly above.

“You need to shoot magic at the top of the door,” Tempest said.

“Right,” Trixie affirmed. Her horn charged before a beam of energy hit the top crystal of the door, the magical energy spiralling before being absorbed.

Tempest’s heart sank.

“What? Why didn’t it open!?” Trixie exclaimed.

Tempest’s mind raced as she tried to think of some solution. And a wisp of thought manifested. “Love. Try putting love into the spell.”

“Love? Why would that work?”

“Just do it.”

Trixie contemplated before she exhaled and closed her eyes. Her horn lit again with a wispy hum as seconds ticked by.

Tempest wanted to ask her what she was doing but didn’t want to break her concentration.

A squiggly curved beam of magic left her horn, almost fiery in appearance as it connected to the crystal, causing white light to emanate from its edges before extending down the outline of the door, making it open.

But before either could extol one another, a livid monstrous roar echoed from above.

Tempest looked down at Trixie, seeing her terrified expression as she continued to stare up. Tempest knitted her brows as certain emotions weighed on her. "Hide."

"What?" Trixie asked.

"Hide!" She repeated.

"Why!?" She whisper-yelled.

"Find a way to save Shining Armor's and his wife's child. He'll be distracted with me while I destroy the Crystal Heart," she said, turning toward the door.

"What? No! What if he kills you!"

"... at least he won't have leverage."

Trixie was bewildered as she attempted to come up with a reasonable explanation.

"Do you have your smoke bombs?" Tempest asked.

"Yeah?"

"Good. Hide behind the stairs." Pushing her hoof against the door, she passed through into the bright light.

She gazed around and found whiteness until she noticed pale crystal stairs to her left which spiraled up the crystal tower behind her.

She mentally growled before beginning up the stairs with haste.

After a while her lungs started to burn, but she pushed on, until finally she saw a platform above. Stepping on the platform, she felt the wind brush alongside her, her mohawke mane ruffling as she gazed out at the city. A darkened trail from the outskirts of the Empire trailed toward the castle, with more spots and crystals sprouting off from it like an infection. On the horizon there was a faint yellow glow, alluding to the coming rise of the sun.

Looking away, her eyes looked to the center of the platform, where above a cyan circle with a five pointed star insignia was a levitating Crystal Heart.

As she approached it, she felt its energy pulsing as it humed.

She lost control of her body as a powerful force hit her in the side, sending her soaring through the air and into an outer pillar, cracking it, before hitting the floor.

"Your endeavor and act of rebellion to bring the Heart to the slaves will fail."

Tempest grit her teeth, pain radiating from her side as she struggled to get up.

"You couldn't have gotten up here alone."

Standing, Tempest faced the amorphous shadow, seeing Sombra's sadistic grin. "Well, your eyes must be deceiving you," she replied.

The head retreated into the black mass, before a smaller crimson horn poked through as he emerged from the shadow. "I will snuff the imaginary light of your soul," his voice hissed, as the shadow went into his mane and under his crimson royal mantle.

Sombra's horn charged, a large ball of dark magic growing above his horn, before it launched at Tempest. But she dodged away, the shadow almost touching her as a small blast of dark magic erupted from where she was standing.

Tempest charged at Sombra, ready to exemplify her physical fighting prowess.

But Sombra grinned as his shadow consumed his form before it fell to the floor. A trail of dark crystals sprouted from the platform, traveling past her.

She pivoted back, her horn sparking as she grit her teeth. Magical electricity spiraled and arced over the dark cloud that erupted up, causing Sombra to cry out.

He gave a beastly growl, sending a repulse of dark magic out, making Tempest look away as she braced from the blow.

A triple burst of dark magic left Sombra's horn, but Tempest ducked and lunged forward.

But before she could make contact, shadow encapsulated him and fell to the floor once more, as a reverse domino effect of crystals sprouted from the ground past her.

The shadow erupted before he appeared again, his crimson horn channeling dark magic.

Tempest's eyes flicked to it, it now becoming her primary target.

She charged forward again, waiting for the counter attack as she closed the distance. Lifting her hoof, she aimed for his head and jumped as she propelled it forward.

The momentum was negated by an even more powerful blast of dark magic, sending her flying backwards through the air.

Hitting the floor, pain shot through her hind leg as she rolled to her side. She winced, her exhaustion and pain now taking its toll. Her hind leg flared searing pain as she attempted to put weight on it, causing her to fumble, but her hardened endurance allowed her to get up.

Sombra's glare deepened at her lack of submission. "You think standing makes you strong. It doesn't matter. You will be eroded and devoured by the arrow of time."

Tempest tasted iron. She began formulating her next attack. Her gaze moved to the Crystal Heart before returning to Sombra, her horn sparking unstable magic.

"I can feel your fear."

"What do you fear?" Tempest asked.

Sombra's expression fell slightly as he leaned back. But he slowly leaned back forward. "I fear nothing," he hissed.

Tempest's glare deepened. She charged forward again, aiming for his horn again, but prepared to miss and readied herself to turn quickly.

Her hoof met nothing, leading her to pivot and see a beam of dark energy heading straight for her. She ducked out of the way, but she felt a slash of pain hit the top of her head next to her horn. Crystal shrapnel from the pillar behind her hit the floor, one shard with blood at its end.

With little time to recover, she noticed another beam of dark energy heading her way.

She jumped away and looked for her target to see he had stopped his assaults, as he leered.

Her breath labored; she couldn't help her gaze as it fell. Her eyes closed, feeling the pain along with the warm liquid falling down her head. A deep emotion welled inside of her. It began to climb.

She was losing the battle, her chest feeling small, and her body growing hot. She began to shake, as the feeling continued to crescendo.

Blood was pouring.

"You're weak," Sombra said.

Her chest rapidly rose and fell as her heart rate increased. Flashes of images assaulted her mind in vicious remembrance. Pain. Hatred.

Her horn began to spark. Her blood began to boil.

Her eyes opened her visage one of fury and irate. She bellowed, a bolt of magical lightning arcing to the heart as she unleashed everything. The power caused a faint humming and crackling sound as electricity spiraled all around the heart.

Lightning then shot up to the roof from Heart, sending electricity gliding along the tip of the spire before launching into the sky. Electricity was spreading along the magical dome as the brilliant cyan bolt of lightning continuously jittered and wiggled up from the tip of the crystal spire.

Despite exhaling everything from her lungs, the torrent and sheer power didn't cease and instead increased in intensity.

The Crystal Heart began to crack. Further. And further.

But Tempest was violently flung away, her body hitting the previously damaged pillar, shattering it as she flew off the platform.

Author's Note:

I sincerely apologize for the long wait for any of you seeing this. I felt omega unmotivated to write and took a break. Also some life complications arose but I've trudged through. And as you can already tell, I sort of retconned Sombra's Season Nine personality. Personally, I found it disappointing and kind of annoying. It felt like they ironically made him way more kid friendly. Which I guess is who the show is targeted for. But I think one of the reasons the show was so strong in the first place was because it was a family show. Anyway. Rant over haha. I hope you have a nice day or night.