• Published 11th May 2021
  • 222 Views, 2 Comments

Quills and Sofas Anthology - Scrying Mind



A collection of stories written for Quills and Sofas.

  • ...
 2
 222

A Tapestry Mended

Coco let out a sigh as the stallion she was helping left the store. She surveyed the store and checked that nopony was inside. It was good to have moments like this where the store was empty and Coco could catch her breath. It wasn’t that Coco didn’t enjoy helping customers, and it wasn’t that she didn’t appreciate being hired by Rarity, but some days, especially the busy ones, could be draining. Fortunately, it was close to closing, and Coco didn’t expect to have any more stress the rest of the day. If another customer came in, it would be a simple matter.

“Hello?”

Coco snapped out of her thoughts and looked at the mare across the counter. It wasn’t a face she had expected to see again, and it shattered her expectations of a low-stress afternoon.

“Suri?” Coco’s voice came out almost inaudibly.

“Hey, Coco, sorry to bother you, but I need an outfit for a nice dinner this weekend.”

Coco sat for a moment before responding, “Of course.”

Few words were shared as Coco showed Suri the current clothing lines. Once Suri found exactly what she wanted, Coco helped her check out. Suri seemed conflicted about something, but didn’t say a single word. When Suri was about to leave the store, Coco finally came to a decision.

“Suri!” Coco called out.

Suri stopped walking but didn’t turn around. “Yeah?”

“Is something the matter?”

Suri turned around and looked at Coco. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, okay? I just needed a new outfit.”

Coco turned her words over in her head before she spoke again. Her voice was unusually firm as she said, “Even if you don’t want to talk, I do.”

“Yeah? What about?”

Coco took a deep breath in before asking, “Why did you treat Rarity and me so poorly? Wasn’t there some other way to get where you wanted to go?”

“Look, Coco, sometimes there are things you want and there’s only one way to get them.”

“I see.”

After an awkward pause, Suri offered a more complete explanation. “When I left Ponyville, I thought I’d be somepony. I couldn’t do that if I didn’t win that fashion show, okay?”

“And it was worth it.”

“No.”

Coco looked at Suri. Although she wore her usual demeanor, there was something different about her. She could have been fidgeting slightly or shifting her eyes about. Whatever it was left an impression on Coco even if she couldn’t place exactly what it was.

“I’m sorry.” Suri’s voice suddenly changed as she said that, now lacking the forceful and smug quality that usually defined it. “When I got to Manehattan, I was taught that it’s everypony for themselves in the big city. There was no way for anypony to do well without hurting a few others, okay? But when I saw how Rarity treated ponies well and managed to win the fashion show, I realized that’s not always true.”

Suri seemed slightly embarrassed, so Coco offered, “Everypony makes mistakes.”

It was true, everypony did make mistakes. Did that justify what Suri did? Should Coco accept the apology? No, that question was wrong. There was only one answer if Coco wanted to help Suri become a better pony.

“I forgive you.”

Suri looked surprised for a moment, and eventually replied, “You do?”

Coco nodded. “What you did was wrong, but you thought it was the only option. Now you know better, and you’re sorry.”

Suri obviously felt the need to justify herself as she continued, “I’ll do better in the future.”

Coco walked over and put her hoof on Suri’s shoulder. “I know. You just need the chance.”

Suri looked at Coco gratefully as she said, “That’s generous of you.”

To this, Coco only smiled.

Author's Note:

Written for the Quills and Sofas Coco Pommel contest on 03/28/2021.

The prompt for this story was "Stitches".