• Published 10th May 2021
  • 384 Views, 9 Comments

What I Would Have Done - applezombi



A young Bridleway dancer prepares for the most important audition of his life.

  • ...
2
 9
 384

Exposition

The cafe was just like a thousand others speckled throughout Manehattan. It was the same trendy outdoor cast-iron patio furniture, the same faux-battered red-brick style walls, the same industrial decor with exposed pipes and the illusion of crumbling plaster. It always made Tender Taps smile inside to see; Manehattan ponies were some of the toughest in the world, but they still felt the need to advertise the fact with their decor.

“Tender? Over here!” A familiar mare waved him over, her golden locks bouncing around as she waved her red hoof. He smiled, trotting over to the table where Sunflower was waiting for him. “I was worried you’d got lost for a second there.”

“Sorry. Traffic jam over by the theatre. Some pop star’s doing a one-day thing at the Winter Garden, and the whole street from 50th to 52nd is jammed with overexcited teenaged fillies.”

“Ouch,” Sunflower giggled. “No wonder you’re late. I got you coffee.” She pointed at a pair of cups on the table, and Tender leaned over to inhale the coffee steam.

“Thanks.” He slid into the chair and reached for the cup. It was good; he needed something to do with his hooves. It kept him from letting his worries take over. He still shook before auditions, even though he’d been to dozens now.

And wasn’t this just another sort of audition? He’d told Babs as much.

“So,” Sunflower had a knowing smile and a twinkle in her eye. “What’d you wanna talk to me about?”

“Don’t act like you haven’t guessed already,” Tender rolled his eyes, and Sunflower laughed, clapping her hooves together. “Honestly, I don’t even know why I bothered to meet with you. I know what you’re going to say. How’d you figure it out?”

“Would you believe it if I said I was just that perceptive?” Sunflower wiggled her eyebrows, and Tender shook his head, smirking. “Or maybe you’re just not as sneaky as you think you are. I mean, really, Tender? Using the jeweler right across the street from my flower shop?” She giggled again, practically twitching with cheerful energy. “So when are you gonna ask her? And do I get to see the ring?”

“For the second question, no,” Tender sipped at his coffee. She pouted at him. “What? You and Babs do everything together. You’ll let something slip, and she’s way too smart not to notice. Don’t worry, you’ll see soon enough.”

“Fine, be that way. And when?”

“I don’t know for sure.” He shuffled in his seat. “I didn’t want to make too many plans until after I’d talked to you.”

“You know, that whole ‘asking the family for permission to propose’ thing’s a little old fashioned.”

“I’m from Ponyville, old-fashioned is what we do.” Tender polished a hoof on his chest, and Sunflower scoffed. “Besides, you and your sister are from one of the most old-fashioned families in Equestria. It seemed fitting.”

“You got us there, colt,” Sunflower nodded. “And for what it’s worth, you got my blessing to ask her. You’ve been good together.”

“Thanks.” Tender exhaled slowly. He hadn’t expected anything else, but it was still nice to hear it from Babs’ sister. “That means a lot.”

“No problem,” Sunflower waved a dismissive hoof. “The two of you complement one another. You keep her dreaming, and she keeps you grounded. Besides, any idiot can see just how crazy about each other the two of you are.”

“I…” Once again, he was overcome with warmth at her support. “Thanks. Um. You think she’ll say yes?”

“You kidding?” Sunflower snorted. “You got nothing to worry about, Tender. Not from Babs, at least. But you better do it soon.” Her eyes narrowed, and she leaned forward. “After all, you said I’d let something slip.”

“I think…” he tapped his chin with one hoof. “I think I’d like to do it this afternoon. I’m between shows, and she’s off.”

“This afternoon?” Sunflower pursed her lips. “That’s quick.”

Tender snorted. “You just threatened to spill the beans if I don’t do it soon. Besides, we’re meeting my parents for dinner in a few days, and I’d like to have some good news for them.” He looked at her hopefully. “I just have to come up with something perfect for the moment.”

“A theater kid like you, and you don’t have anything planned yet?”

“Hey,” he pretended to be offended, pressing a hoof against his chest in a pose. Sunflower cackled. “I didn’t say I had nothing planned. I have a great plan. I just haven’t worked out all the details yet!”

“What sort of details?”

“Setting, timing, costumes, blocking, props. You know, the little details.” Sunflower laughed harder, and Tender smirked. “I’m open to any suggestions, though. She is your sister.”

“Hmm… what about something outdoors?” Sunflower mused. “Take her to Centrot Park. Lots of tree coverage. Take her for a picnic. She loves the park, and it’s not too cold yet. Besides, she’d never admit it, but she loves the smell of the blooming chrysanthemums.”

“Yeah.” Tender nodded. “Yeah! I like that. There’s plenty of quiet spots for a nice picnic.”

“Sure, sure,” Sunflower waved a hoof. “But if you screw this up, kid, I reserve the right to punish you forever. She’s my baby sister, ya know. It’s my job.”

This was more what Tender had expected. It made him smile.

“Of course. Thanks.”