• Published 11th May 2021
  • 2,278 Views, 134 Comments

Factory of the Magical Variety - Conglomerate



Prospector! A new, resource rich planet has been discovered. Preparing for launch.

  • ...
4
 134
 2,278

Chapter 21: Training

I feel I came out of that dog fiasco pretty well, with everything intact and potential trade partners. Right now I was in a good place, except for not having Titanite or Celestite, I would have to fix that soon.

I then realized something, I've definitely made some enemies in this world, enemies that have the capabilities to destroy me. No insectoids, no dragons, and no ponies came to attack me yet, and I didn't know if that was a good or bad thing. I need to do something about that.

I wasn't in a good position to go on the offensive, I really didn't want to just keep wasting resources getting destroyed again and again. My patience will be my power in this situation however, if my enemies gave me time to prepare then prepare I will. First things first was to finish the base, with only the floor done on the inside, I got to work filling out the rest of the inside.

I also wanted to upgrade the door however, but I didn't have any Titanite to armor it, at least I could thicken it with more blocks. And the repair bubbles work pretty well too, though I haven't had anything try to breach the door yet. I'd like to keep it that way.

There wasn't much else for me to do, I still had about two weeks until I got to meet with the Princess, I didn't need to go out to gather resources, and the Luxite was growing just fine. I'll put the next batch in the ground too, so I could double my output later.

There was one more thing for me to work on, logistics, while I could fly pretty much anywhere, I couldn't carry that much. If I wanted to transport a large amount of goods at once, I would have to build something new. Luckily, I already had an idea for that, trains.

This world had trains, and trains used tracks. Since I could make trains, I could use their tracks. Of course, I didn't know the train schedules of the ponies, and I did not want to cause a head on collision. This would be something to discuss with the Princess probably.

In the meantime, I could always experiment, I needed to go out and measure those tracks I saw so I can make sure my trains fit them. Then I could just build my own set right here and test out different designs. A solid plan for now.

The closest tracks I knew of were the ones I found while gliding a while back. I would head there first.

It didn't take long, especially with the plane. I made just in time to see a train go by. It was definitely a primitive train, it probably used a steam engine. My tech could probably outpace it, even on the rough terrain, and the trains I could make would be even faster, since they were on relatively flat tracks.

That was good, as long as I had a train schedule, I could dodge other trains. If I explained that to the Princess, maybe they'd allow me to use the tracks whenever I wanted. Something to look forward to.

I got the measurement of the tracks and was a little disappointed, the tracks were just a bit too wide for me to build a train with standard blocks. No big deal, the Fabricator could handle specific requests rather easily, if only a bit slower.

I could also just design a new block type, a specific block that was capable of both fitting on the tracks, while also being able to connect with other blocks. I wasn't a professional designer though, and it would have to be a stronger block that used axles to roll on the track and support a car, not an easy feat.

I was certain I would need to design it using Titanite, it's strength easily being able to handle the stress, but I just might be able to do it without it. It would definitely be harder.

I flew back to base, thinking about how I would design the block, and name it. For now it would just be called a "Train Foundation", rather fitting I guess.

Designing new blocks was not easy, especially if they have a specific purpose. Decoration blocks are the easiest, and Structure blocks are easy too, but wheel blocks weren't. Of course, I didn't have to make every train car capable of moving on it's own, but it was easier to design one Train Foundation than two.

I started by building a simple loop of track made of Plumbite and Fibrewood. I would need someplace to test it right? Next was a general train car, as I needed something to actually stress the TF with, it was just a large block of standard GSO blocks. Simple enough.

Now to the actual design, I started with four wheels, each without the Rubber tire, then made two axle sets. I took those axle sets and set them on a frame with suspension. There were two motors housed inside the frame, one for each set. Next I put a another axle on top of the frame, allowing it to rotate underneath the train while also holding it up.

The first design collapsed, the Plumbite wasn't enough to hold it together, it needed more supports in the frame. My decision for four wheels per TF was a good one, as it was just about able to handle the weight of the car. The motors worked fine, they were able to provide enough acceleration to get the train moving fast, which revealed another problem.

The TFs were not able to handle turns, the inertia of the train almost sheared off the frame from the wheels, more supports necessary.

After about an hour of trial and error, the design was finally able to hold up to the standards I needed. This would have been so much easier with more Luxite and Titanite, but what's done is done. I made sure to save the TF's design in the Fabricator, so I could make more whenever I wanted.

They weren't cheap though, the motors required Carbite and Oleite, and while there wasn't any Rubber, there was a lot of Plumbite and Fibrewood making up the supports. The whole contraption was about the size of four GSO standard blocks in a 2x2 pattern, if only a little taller due to the suspension. The only connection point on it was on the axle at the top.

With the TF done, I had enough fabricated to get one car on the tracks, so I had a bit of fun just going in circles at top speed, which was a lot. Then I had an idea. A crazy idea. An idea that would probably be the greatest idea I've ever had.

I fabricated another Ignite Circuit, then took the one I already had and installed both onto the TFs.

You wanna know what flying into the side of a ravine at Mach one feels like? Not much, considering I can't really feel pain, but it wasn't fun to destroy my train car, thankfully both Ignite Circuits survived, as well as the cabin. I definitely won't be doing that again, there was no reason I would ever travel at that speed again.

Once I was finished cleaning up, I decided it was time to design different train cars. I'd need all sorts of ones, for storage, or utility, combat, or just to house my cabin. Since my trains would be part autonomous, I also made room for an A.I. cabin in the cars, though I couldn't make any just yet.

With the trains done, all I needed was approval from the Princess to use the tracks, then I could just hook up those lines to my base, and I could travel using trains. There was one flaw I saw though, having the lines hooked up to my base would allow other trains to follow them.

That shouldn't be an issue however, I might get royal approval, and trains don't just go down random tracks they aren't supposed to.

I wouldn't start laying tracks just yet though, I still had one hurdle to clear before I made myself public.

Next up was to meet with the Princess in two weeks.

To Be Continued...

Author's Note:

Fun fact, the actual name for the wheel housing on trains is called a "Bogie" or "Truck" depending on where you're from. I was going to have Teck name it that then thought it was weird that they knew what it was. Speaking of Teck, I like how I have been trying as hard as I could to keep them gender neutral, and everyone commenting on them has only said "he". Not that that's a problem, just I haven't really revealed/decided their gender just yet, and if you've noticed, I wrote it so that they've been speaking in the female voice since the "Upgrades" Chapter.