• Published 8th May 2021
  • 190 Views, 1 Comments

A Vignette of Stage Magic - Draxonos135

  • ...
 1
 190

#TheGreatAndPowerfulTrixienette

Vignette Valencia wasn't the biggest fan of magic in Other-Questria. In fact, it wouldn't be too farfetched to say she was utterly terrified of the concept.

But, at the very least, she could take comfort in that it wasn't the only kind of magic one could find in the city.

"Behold! The Great and Powerful Trixie!"

Vignette stopped and turned around, spotting a small stage with a blue-skinned girl standing on top of it, her cape waving while fireworks went off in the background.

Vignette decided to sit down next to some of the audience, and paid attention to the upcoming magic show.


By the time it was over, Vignette was the only audience member left, though even she was starting to fall asleep.

After the disastrous grand finale, Trixie bid farewell, and the curtains closed, leaving Vignette with a feeling of pity and sympathy.

Poor girl, she just wanted to make a magic show to entertain people, and instead the people slowly grew tired of her mediocre work and abandoned her.

Vignette could relate to that very well.

She stood up, dusted herself, and began walking again, only to spot the performer girl in the distance, kicking a vending machine in rage.

That also felt very relatable to Vignette.

"Curse you, vending machine!" she hissed. "Trixie's day could be cheered up by a piece of nutty goodness, and you dare hold the candy hostage!? Trixie will have her revenge!"

And then the same candy appeared next to the stage magician, held by Vignette.

Trixie pointed at the candy and then herself, with Vignette only needing to nod for Trixie to snatch the candy and devour it.

"Ah, that's the good stuff!" Trixie looked at Vignette. "Thanks for cheering Trixie up, oddly young-looking woman."

"The name's Vignette. I was part of the audience of your latest show."

"Really? And why didn't you leave?" Trixie asked, sounding genuinely curious. "Did your legs fall asleep?"

"No... okay, yes, but that's not the reason I stayed," Vignette scratched the back of her head. "I was kinda hoping there would be some big, special finish at the end... but there really wasn't."

Trixie sighed and leaned against the wall. "Trixie hasn't had the best luck when it comes to magic shows recently. No matter how hard Trixie tries, the shows never reach quite the spectacle Trixie desires."

"Hmm... hey, sorry if I'm asking a dumb question," Vignette tilted her head. "But are you the only one running the magic show?"

"Trixie's a one-woman magic show crew! She does everything by herself!"

"T.E.A.L." Vignette remarked before translating. "That Explains A Lot-"

Vignette covered her mouth once she realized how insensitive that sounded, but it was too late: Trixie had began sulking by the implications alone.

"Sorry, that slipped out."

"It's fine. Trixie... knows her shows aren't the best. But it's the best Trixie can do without any help."

Vignette frowned. "Stage magic means a lot to you, doesn't it?"

"Trixie put so much effort into becoming a stage magician," Trixie lowered her head. "Trixie made lots of sacrifices to get where she is! Friendships! Academics! The ability to speak in first person!"

She quickly sulked once more. "If Trixie can't make this work, Trixie might never be able to let it go."

Vignette frowned sympathetically, and scratched her chin, humming in contemplation for some sort of solution...

Until eventually, she got an idea.

"Hey, how about I help you make a new show?"

Trixie stared blankly at the woman. "You do realize Trixie's a teenager, right? Trixie can't pay you, you know?"

"Well, yeah, I know that's a notable issue," Vignette scratched her head. "But I'm sure we'll find a way to come to an agreement! At the very least, if we work together, the show should be more entertaining than if you did it alone."

"Even if Trixie could pay you, why would she hire you? What could you know about stage magic that could help Trixie?"

"Well, I was a gopher and stagehand before I got a job at Equestrialand: this should be somewhat similar, I think!"

Vignette extended a hand to Trixie.

"So, what do you say? I think it's worth a shot."

Trixie eyed the hand, then Vignette's smile, and rolled her eyes before shaking it.

"Trixie thinks it's worth a shot too. But you better have a plan ready."

"Oh trust me," Vignette scratched her chin while looking elsewhere sneakily. "I believe I got an idea..."


After several preparations, the stage was once again lit up, the curtains parting to reveal Vignette and Trixie standing side by side, both wearing tuxedos and hats.

Not that many people would notice, since there was barely anybody in the audience.

"Trixie's got a bad feeling about this."

"Just follow my lead, alright?" Vignette stepped forward. "Ladies and gentleman, welcome to The Great and Powerful Trixie's Show! For our first trick, we'd like a volunteer from the audience!"

A girl immediately sprung up and walked to the stage, hopping up as Vignette and Trixie went to opposite sides.

"Alright, we got a volunteer!" Vignette chirped before crouching down. "What's your name sweetie?"

"Zipperwhool."

"Alright then, Zipperwhool," Vignette lifted her sleeve, revealing a colored handkerchief. "Would you like a handkerchief?"

"I would!"

The girl grabbed and pulled it... only to be surprised when she saw another handkerchief attached. And then another one was revealed thanks to further pulling.

Then another, and another... until.

"Alright, I think that's enough," Vignette said, grabbing the handkerchief chain and standing up. "Trixie, catch!"

Vignette launched the chain of handkerchiefs to Trixie, who raised her hand and waved it until she caught the chain. With that done, Vignette winked at the stage magician, then said:

"At the count of three, okay? One..."

"Two..."

"Three!"

Zipperwhool jumped up just in time to avoid the incoming chain, and before long, she found herself jumping up and down, the chain of handkerchiefs being used as a jump rope.

After a few more jumps, Vignette and Trixie stopped, and the former let go of the chain, allowing the latter to take the entire chain in one fell swoop.

The audience cheered soon after, Zipperwhool jumping back to her seat as more people joined them.

Vignette bowed down, but Trixie just stood still, stunned at the fact she was getting praised for once.

"Alright then, since I already did a trick," Vignette turned to the magician. "How about you do one now, Trixie?"

Trixie flinched and pointed at herself, earning a nod from Vignette in return, who's ensuing wink gave her an idea on what she meant.

A short wait happened as Trixie and Vignette pulled a box as big as Vignette to the center of the stage, Vignette opening it as Trixie said:

"Ladies and gentlemen! For the next trick, Trixie shall make her not nearly as Great and Powerful assistant disappear!"

Vignette raised an amused eyebrow, but shrugged it off and walked inside, folding her arms behind her back as Trixie closed the door.

"And now, at the count of three, Trixie's assistant will be gone! One... Two... Three!"

Trixie poked the box with a wand, and promptly opened it, with Vignette being nowhere to be seen, Trixie keeping it open just long enough to get a brief gasp from the crowd before closing it again.

"And now, one... Two... Three!"

Another tap, and this time, Vignette jumped out and posed as soon as the box opened, flashing a smile as the audience cheered once more.

This time, Trixie bowed down, and as she stood up, Trixie shot a look at Vignette, one that clearly meant to say "thank you".

Vignette smiled as a way to say "your welcome", then added:

"And keep your eyes peeled, everybody! 'Cause we're not done yet!"

Author's Note:

And then the entire stage got set on fire. The end. XD

Comments ( 1 )

Zipperwhool

According to the wiki, her name is actually Zipporwhill.

This was actually pretty cute. It's always nice to see side characters get a spot in a story, and I really enjoyed Vignette and Trixie's meeting as the highlight of the fic.

Honestly my attention kind of wavered once Zipporwhill showed up, and I think part of it was that the show was much less tightly scripted then the conversation between Trixie and Vignette.

That being said you had some pretty decent jokes in there, and overall I enjoyed reading something unique for a change.

Login or register to comment