• Published 8th May 2021
  • 6,398 Views, 425 Comments

Dark as Chitin - LostBox



I can hardly remember anything for the life of me, though I feel I should. Why is there a voice in my head?

  • ...
35
 425
 6,398

Chapter 6: Knowledge



I landed behind a strange building that seemed to be modeled after a carousel. After 'bird watching' for long enough, I analyzed enough ponies to synthesize a unique appearance. I really didn't need to start a witchhunt for a doppelganger. One shift phase and I was now a green unicorn mare with a black mane and green eyes. Funnily enough, my horn was concealed beneath my luscious mane, so I looked more like an earth pony. It probably didn't help that I made my horn shorter than average. I kept my butt tattoo to a simple question mark. It was ambiguous enough to not mean anything, yet mean everything. Now all I needed was a name.

"Anonymous. It's foreign if I remember correctly," Chrysalis stated.

"Yeah, that'll work."

I walked from behind the carousel surveying my surroundings. "Guess I should start asking around."

Everyone looks kind enough. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I bothered them for a bit. I trotted over to a hot pink-colored unicorn mare, her mane and tail looked like a shade of Sunfire. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the best way I can describe it without going into excessive detail.

"Excuse me?"

The mare turned toward me. "Huh, can I help you?"

"Do you happen to know if there's something like a library around this place?"

"The library? Yeah, I was actually just heading to it. Wanna come with me?" The mare asked cheerfully.

I smiled back. "Sure, if that's okay with you."

"Of course, let's go! It's not often anypony wants to go to the library these days."


About ten minutes later...


I've been following this mare for nearly 10 minutes in awkward silence and I don't even know her name. I've just been kind of taking in my surroundings.

"So..."'

This feels so weird.

"Yeah?"

"What's your name?"

She looked at me, eyes wide with surprise. "Oh my gosh. I never introduced myself. The princess would be so disappointed in me. I am so sorry."

What was that about the princess?

"It's fine, really. I'm Anonymous, but my friends call me Anon."

"I'm Luster Dawn, but you can call me Dawn, all of my friends do. That's a nice name, by the way, it suits you. It sounds foreign."

Since when does someone's name in this place not suit them? If an hour of bird watching has taught me anything, names here seem like self-fulfilling prophecies.

"Thanks, I like your name too."

"So what are you going to the library for?" She asked with genuine curiosity.

"I was hoping to learn some magic and catch up on a bit of history."

I wasn't lying, this was what I was planning to do.

"Woah, really? Me too. It's gotta be fate that we met. Oh, looks like we're here!"

I turned my attention away from Dawn and looked toward the library. Honestly, it didn't look anything remotely close to a library. It looked like some kind of crystal castle, but the architecture was way too chaotic. For some reason, the base of the castle looked like a tree, like it had grown out of the ground or something. I suppose anything is possible in Equestria.

"Come on, let's head inside. You gotta meet my mom!" Dawn suddenly had a burst of enthusiasm.

"Your mom?"

"Yeah, her name's Starlight Glimmer. Have you heard of her?"

Starlight? Why does that sound familiar?

Chrysalis's voice seemed to get caught in her throat. "S-starlight?!"

Mother's sudden screaming caught me off guard, causing me to visibly flinch.

"You alright?" Luster Dawn asked.

"Yeah... I'm fine."

"Well, let's not waste any more time then!"

Luster Dawn grabbed me by the hoof and began pulling me inside the 'library.'

Surprisingly, the interior looked a lot nicer than expected.

"Come on, the library's upstairs."

I followed closely behind her. As strange as this might sound, I couldn't help but look at her flank. From what I could tell, her butt tattoo was a sun coming over the horizon.

"Pervert," Chrysalis stated bluntly.

"M-mom!"

"Relax, won't you. I'm just messing with you," Chrysalis teased.

I'm sure if anyone was looking at me, I would be all sorts of shades of red.

After clearing the stairs, we turned right through a doorway. It was a library, a large one at that. Along the furthest wall to the back were nothing but shelves of books. Throughout the room were at least a dozen tabletops. However, the library hardly seemed to have anypony in it. There were maybe seven other ponies besides myself and Luster Dawn.

Dawn trotted over to a table at the center of the room. There was a unicorn mare seated at the table by herself, several books floating around her as she seemed fully emersed in a separate one at the moment. Pretty soon, I'll be able to do that. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited.

"You need to stay away from her," Chrysalis warned.

"Yeah, I know she's dangerous; I'll be careful."

Chrysalis went quiet.

"Hey mom, I'm back."

The mare, which I now knew was Starlight, dropped her books and opened her eyes wide in surprise.

"Sweety?"

The two mares suddenly embraced each other. The love is strong with these two, I can feel it. After about 20 seconds of a tight embrace, they let go of each other.

"Mom, my friend here says she wants to learn about magic and history."'

"Really, it's not often an earth pony wants to learn about magic. What's your name?"

"Anonymous, but you can call me Anon. And I'm not an earth pony," I said as I split the top of my mane to show my horn.

"Oh, I see. I'm sorry for assuming. It's nice to meet you. I'm Starlight Glimmer and this is my castle."

I was a bit curious now. "This is your castle?"

"Yes, although it wasn't always. It used to belong to my friend, Twilight, but she left it to me when she moved to Canterlot."

Twilight... Twilight Sparkle? This mare's directly tied to the princess? I seriously need to be careful.

"But enough about me, you said you were interested in magic and history, right?"

"Yup."

"I've split the back shelves into 4 columns. The first one is science, the second is magic, the third is history, and the fourth is the only outlier. Each shelf in the 4th column is for a different genre. For the science and magic columns, the shelves are organized by tiers. The bottom shelves are the lowest tiers, meaning the easiest, and the top shelves are the highest tiers, meaning the hardest. Keep in mind that the shelves toward the top past the red marker all have special magical seals on them that can only be lifted by me. So if you need anything, just let me know. You can take books out of here if you'd like. I put a series of spells on all of them so that they'll automatically teleport back here within a week. Even if the books are in tatters, it'll come back and repair itself."

"Wow, that's pretty amazing. Uh, thanks."

"It's no problem, please, enjoy your studies."

I walked over to the back shelves and began inspecting the books. It's true, there is a special magic seal on the highest tiers. I guess it would be disastrous if just anypony got their hooves on that kind of magic.

Looks like I've got quite a bit of work ahead of me, but I'm more excited than anything to be honest.