• Published 8th May 2021
  • 6,394 Views, 425 Comments

Dark as Chitin - LostBox



I can hardly remember anything for the life of me, though I feel I should. Why is there a voice in my head?

  • ...
35
 425
 6,394

Chapter 5: Embrace



I opened my eyes groggily, vision blurry and head ringing. My body was sore, but at the very least it meant I was still alive. This must be what a hangover feels like, whatever that is. I felt like vomiting, but instead, it came out as a series of burps.

After letting out a bit of fuel, I was well enough to sit up straight. I had been placed in a bed that seemed to be the perfect size for me; it sat atop a small tabletop. If I had to guess, I’m inside that mare’s cottage. I have to get out of here, but how?

As far as she’s concerned, I’m just a bunny. I can’t arouse any suspicion. That’s when it hit me. There are animals all over this place, meaning multiple forms and bodies.

One well-placed transformation and I can slip right out of this place. So which one do I use?

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of hooves hitting the ground. It was getting closer by the second.

“Oh good, you’re awake. You had me worried there for a minute. If I had known you were sick, I would have been gentler. But everything’s okay now.”

Fluttershy, she’s too kind for my sake.

Fluttershy trotted over to me, placing her forehoof up to my forehead. “It looks like your fevers gotten better, but you can never be too careful.”

Again, I was swept up into her embrace, a bottle suddenly in my mouth this time.

What in the world?

Chrysalis laughed. “Looks like you’ve got your work cut out for you.”

“Oh, you must be having a field day. She’s so loving, it’s suffocating.”

Even with my magic barrier up, some of her love still gets through.

“Maybe it’s only suffocating because you’re fighting it. Try to give in a little.”

“Give in? I don’t know, it doesn’t feel right. I’m not what she thinks I am.”

“Deceit is a part of a changeling’s life. You’ll have to get used to it, to survive.”

“I know mom, I know.”

Taking my mother’s words to heart, I gave into the mare’s embrace. What is she feeding me anyway? It tastes kind of sour, like something diluted with water. Medicine?

The mare then placed me back down into the bed, tucking me in, and topping it off with a kiss to my forehead; I burped again.

“You get some rest now. I’ll come back to check on you later.”

Fluttershy then trotted around the corner, probably to take care of some other animals. I wasn’t sure how much time I had, but I knew I had to act fast. I threw the blanket off myself and hopped down from the tabletop.

There was all manner of creature around me: snakes, bears, birds, mice, lizards, and even other rabbits.

I need an escape route. The door wasn’t an option. It’s made of wood, meaning it would make some noise. I didn’t know how I would get it open. The window might work, but opening it would probably be a hassle. The chimney on the other hand. That could work.

A simple shift into something small enough with wings and I’m out of here. I hopped over to the chimney to inspect it more closely when my path was suddenly blocked.

The inhabitants of the cottage were gathering around me. That’s when the most surprising thing happened. They began talking, and I could understand them.

The bear was the first to speak. “Name’s Harry, what’s yours?”

The bear was a bit imposing, but he wasn’t giving off any dangerous vibes.

“Don’t have one,” I replied. I had a feeling revealing my true name wouldn’t do me any good.

“Well that’s strange, I’m sure Fluttershy will name you in no time though so it’s no sweat. She named all of us after all.”

Sorry, but I already have a name and I’m quite fond of it.

After a few minutes of conversing, the conversation was finally beginning to die down.

“Well, we’ll be out of your hair now. Enjoy your stay.”

“Thanks.”

One by one, the crowd began to clear out.

I turned my attention back to the chimney, getting close enough to look up into it. It was surprisingly clean. Yeah, I think this could work.

A voice came from behind me. “Thinkin’ about leaving?”

Taking me by surprise, I spun around in an instant.

“Relax pal, I just want to talk.”

It was a bunny like me, standing there with his arms crossed.

“Who are you?”

“I could ask the same thing to you, but that probably won’t get us anywhere. I’m Angel.”

“Uh, nice to meet you.”

“Likewise. I’m just confused about something.”

I stayed silent.

“Why would you want to leave? Out there, it’s survival of the fittest. Every day’s a struggle. It’s a cruel and unforgiving environment. So, why would you want to leave?”

“Yeah, I know, but what other choice do I have.”

Angel paused for a minute. “Family?”

He wasn’t wrong. “Yeah,” I said as I looked toward the chimney.

Angel's ears drooped. “Buck dude, I'm sorry. You know we can help you out, right? We could go get your family, together, then head straight back here.”

“You’re a good person, but this is something I have to do myself. Thanks.”

Angel didn’t reply. He just turned around and hopped away.

In one swift motion, I hopped up into the chimney, shifted into a bird, and flew outside of the cottage.

Sometime later...


I arrived at Ponyville some time ago. I spent a good hour surveying the area: noting landmarks, scanning ponies, and formulating a plan.

It’s nice. Everyone’s so cheerful. I haven’t spotted anything like a library, however. I need someplace where I can learn.

“You’ve been quiet, mother. Got something on your mind?”

“No, not really. Just worried is all.”

“Worried? About what?”

“It’s nothing, just my paranoia. It’s just that… back there at that cottage, you almost died.”

“Yeah, but you saved me,” I consoled.

“Maybe so, but what if I can’t always do that?” Chrysalis lamented.

I paused to think about it.

“Part of a mother’s duty is to prepare their child for the world so that they can take care of themselves.”

Mother remained silent, but I could sense what she was feeling. Confliction. Did I overstep my position? What I said would sound strange coming from a newborn, wouldn't it?