• Published 8th May 2021
  • 6,387 Views, 425 Comments

Dark as Chitin - LostBox



I can hardly remember anything for the life of me, though I feel I should. Why is there a voice in my head?

  • ...
35
 425
 6,387

Chapter 22: Confessions



8,750 bits. That's how much I paid for Celestia's Embrace. If this doesn't make Dawn happy, I don't know what will. There's no turning back now though, I was now just outside the castle doors, mustering up the courage to face her. Opening front doors, I met face to face with somepony I'd never seen before. She was a unicorn mare, her coat, a brilliant azure, her mane was a pale cornflower blue with very pale cerulean stipes. She was wearing a suit similar to my own, only hers was purple and speckled with stars.

"Nice suit," I said absentmindedly.

"Thanks, you...too," she trailed off as her eyes drifted toward my bag. She smiled before stepping out of the doorway, allowing me passage.

"Nice bag," she complimented.

"Thanks."

The mysterious mare then walked away, leaving me ever so slightly confused. I suppose the encounter did some good in removing a bit of the edge from my anxiety though. Trotting up the stairs, I peered around the corner to the library seeing that both Starlight and Luster Dawn were there.

"Alright, the moment of truth."

Dawn had her back turned to the library, staring out the window. She had a somewhat melancholic expression on her face, stuck deep in thought.

"Dawn, you got a minute?" I said catching her attention from behind.

She whipped around instantly, jumping back in surprise. "Anon?! Where were you? I was worried sick."

I rubbed my forehoof nervously. "It's a long story. Hey, look, I wanted to apologize for what happened inside the Magic Chamber. I shouldn't have done what I did, putting you on the spot and all. And to solidify my sincerity, I got you a gift."

Reaching inside my bottomless bag, I pulled out a white box with gold engravings. Lifting off the lid, I levitated Celestia's Embrace in my magic, before placing it around Dawn's neck. This goes without saying, but the reaction I got was not what I expected, at all.

Dawn's eyes went wide, darting between myself and the necklace. She then suddenly turned beet red, eeped, and vanished in a flash of light. I stood there, shocked for a moment before a horrid epiphany hit me.

"Did I...did I just kill her?"

Chrysalis broke out in hysterical laughter. "No, you silly colt, she just got embarrassed."

"Embarrassed?"

"It's a typical response...to being proposed to."

Proposed to... oh no... I should have seen the signs: special somepony, the jewelry, the suit, I should have seen it.

Standing up, I looked around the library, desperately searching for Dawn. Instead, I saw Starlight sitting at a table, mouth agape, and eyes wide with shock. Oops.


Inside Luster Dawn's room...


"What the buck was that!?" Luster Dawn expelled as she appeared in her room, hyperventilating.

Luster Dawn had gotten so embarrassed by the situation, she ended up teleporting in the heat of the moment. Teleportation was a spell she had yet to master, but this was a desperate situation. She needed to get away, she needed some time to herself. After all, Anon had just proposed to her, albeit, accidentally.

Forget the apology, Luster Dawn had forgiven Anon some time ago, but this was different. This was too much.

"I mean, she's a great mare, but we only met a few days ago." Luster Dawn said, almost reasoning with herself.

Luster Dawn threw herself on her bed, staring at the ceiling. She began massaging her forehead with her hooves, overwhelmed by the situation. Strangely, despite all the madness that had just unfolded, Luster Dawn felt surprisingly relaxed and secure; a warmth emanating from her chest. She raised the necklace up to her face to get a better look at it. Instantly, she knew that it was expensive and that it was enchanted with some sort of strong magic.

Luster Dawn inspected the gemstone in the prong more closely. "Protection? That's an extremely high-tier spell. Where did Anon get this? She really went all the way with this...maybe..."

The mare's thoughts were interrupted by a series of knocks on her bedroom door.


Outside of Luster Dawn's room...


I knocked on Luster Dawn's door a few times, awaiting a response. "Dawn? You there?" I asked, hoping for something.

A few seconds of awkward silence passed by, which felt like hours, before I got a response.

"It's open," Dawn said from the other side of the door.

Wrapping a hoof around the door-knob, I opened the door, nervously stepping inside, but making sure to close the door behind myself. Dawn was sitting at the edge of her bed, looking down at the floor.

"Anon," Dawn stated flatly.

"Yes?"

"I can't marry you, I mean, we only just met not too long ago. I'm sorry, but...I can give you a chance at least. I'll be your...special somepony."

Suddenly, all of my lies and deception caught up with me. Dawn was willing to be my special somepony, but... that wouldn't be fair of me to do that to her. I'm not who she thinks I am. I sat beside Dawn, guilt building up inside of me. I snuck a peek at Dawn, her eyes gazing at me expectantly. This only served to make me feel worse.

If I wanted this feeling to go away, then I would have to lay my demons to rest.

"Chimera, what are you doing?" Chrysalis fearfully questioned.

"I have to do this. I can't keep lying to her, to them..."

"Don't do this. You don't know what you're doing."

"I have to, please, you have to understand. Can't I at least tell her?"

"If you tell her, she's going to want to see, and there will be questions. Don't do it."

"Mother, please," I said, pleading with her.

"You promised," Chrysalis spoke with a pronounced venom in her voice.

Within my mother's voice was something deeper than venom, pain. At hearing this, I felt like I couldn't breathe. I felt trapped, suffocated. My mother was right, I promised her. Surely, I could value the weight of a promise, right? Especially a promise to my own mother. I couldn't tell Dawn, I just couldn't. I sat beside Dawn on her bed, feeling dejected.

"What's wrong?" Dawn worriedly asked.

Snapped back to my senses, I shrugged. "Nothing, just...thinking to myself. Special somepony, right? Sounds good, I'd like that," I placated.

Dawn smiled brightly. "Really?! Oh good. You know, when you gave me this, I wasn't sure what to think. How long were you feeling that way... about me?" Dawn asked shyly.

"Since you saved me in the Everfree," I replied.

It wasn't exactly a lie. I had grown quite fond of Dawn in the short time I had known her, but I don't think my feelings were strong enough to the point of purposefully proposing.

"What?" Dawn stammered out.

"You were courageous, strong, and capable. You're one heck of a mare, Dawn. It'd be hard for any sane pony not to fall for you," I stated as a matter of fact.

Dawn blushed deeply, looking down at the floor again.

I hopped off Dawn's bed, heading over toward the door. "Good night, Dawn."

"You're leaving?"

I nodded, looking back at her. "Yeah, I don't know about you, but it's been a long day and I'm exhausted. I'll see you tomorrow."

She nodded understandingly.

Opening the door and stepping out into the hallway, I closed the door behind me. Upon looking up, I was met with a very surprised-looking Starlight Glimmer who vanished in a flash of light as soon as our eyes met. I rolled my eyes and continued on toward my room.

"Thank you," Chrysalis assented.

"I just hope I made the right call."

"You did, Chimera, you did."

I couldn't help but wonder if that was true. My heart felt like it was tearing itself apart, but there was nothing I could do about it. With no options left, I opted to head to bed. Maybe some sleep would help ease the pain. I could only hope so.