• Published 6th Sep 2012
  • 1,830 Views, 130 Comments

A New World, a New Terror - TroWolf15



Zombies have taken over. I care for my friends, but pressure mounts when 6 girls show up.

  • ...
12
 130
 1,830

Chapter 22: Resting and Recovery

RD and I were just barely pulling up to the house when Pancho, AJ and Beans were already out and waiting for us.

“What took you guys? We saw you stop for a second behind us.” Pancho asked both me and RD.

“Oh, well, nothing really. Only a zombie was in my back seat and almost ate RD’s head off but other than that we just stopped to have some tea is all.” I sarcastically remarked, trying to not make a big deal out of it.

“WHAT!?” Was all I heard in response.

Yepp, saw that one coming.

“Yeah a zombie managed to slip in my car and almost got Rainbow here. But don’t worry, all good. She’s safe, that’s all that matters.” I say smiling as I take a glance at her. She looked away as I looked at her, blushing. “But we need to get in there and calm everyone down. How are they?”

“Scared, depressed, what do you expect? Fluttershy is dead!” Beans replied.

Every time I hear that, every time I hear that or think about it, I still, and will not, be able to wrap my mind around it. I still feel horrible for these girls, getting stuck in this godforsaken world, and losing their best friend. I could only imagine how traumatizing that has to be.

“Yeah, ok, well, time to head in.” I take a breath and walk in house. I see everyone sitting in the living room, still sobbing and not knowing what to do with themselves. Twilight happens to see me first, and once we make eye contact, she gets up off the couch and speedily walks towards me.

SLAP.

“OW! What the hell was that for!?” I shout as I tend to my left cheek, pulsating from the slap.

“Why did you run off like that!? You had us all terrified! We thought we might lose you too on top of Fluttershy! Then what would we do?” Twilight barked at me. She was furiously upset. You could see the pain in her clouded eyes, full of tears and reddened from constant rubbing.

“Twilight, I…” I saw everyone looking at me with somber looks, pain in their eyes, all looking to me for an answer, for help. “…Everyone: I’m sorry for running off like that. I truly am. I shouldn’t have done that. I did what I swore I would never allow to happen me, I let my emotions get the best of me. And I ran off in anger and fear, I shouldn’t have. I almost died out there, I was irresponsible, I was foolish, and I was wrong to do that. I’m sorry everyone, I hope you all can forgive me one day.” I couldn’t bear to look anyone in the eyes - I was too far ashamed of what I had done. The reality of what I did, the foolish blood rage, set in.

I soon felt a hand on my shoulder, I turn to see Twilight, staring at me with those big purple eyes, and pulls me in for an embrace. Soon I see Shadow walk up and hug me as well, followed by Xoch, then Rarity, then everyone else.

“Matt, we could never be truly angry with you, ever.” Shadow speaks on everyone’s behalf.

“Thank you, thank you all so much.” I begin to bawl like a little baby, I didn’t even bother holding it in anymore, I let it all out.

We hugged it out for what seemed like an hour, we all forgot about time and the zombies for a little bit. All we cared about was each other, how we are there for each other no matter what.

Soon everyone began to let go of the embrace, and I did my best to fill my leader roll as best as possible.

“Guys, I know it’s really shitty timing, but we have to properly take care of Fluttershy. Has a proper site been made yet?” I ask the group, to which everyone just silently shakes their heads. “Alright then, Pancho, Beans and I will begin work on the burial site. Shadow and Dashie, I want you two to work on a tombstone for her. Shadow can carve and Dash can say what should be carved. Make it look good, ok?”

Everyone nods, and we get to work.

“Wait, what about everyone else?” Xoch asks me, making me realize there are far too many hands to split the work, and too many hands who want to help in some way.

“I’m not sure. We really don’t need anyone else to help, this isn’t a large job to deal with. If you can think of something let me know though.” I tell her as I walk towards our backyard with Pancho and Beans.

We walk outside, and see the beautiful scenery. I was reminded why we chose this house to hole up to begin with: the backyard was just spectacular. It was a large, grassy backyard, with lots of rose bushes and flowers outlining it. There was a little patio looking out towards the empty plain behind the backyard, and it ran far and wide. As the sun was setting, you could see the golden sun light up the long grass, and with a gentle breeze, slowly move the grass in a way that made it look like there was a dance out there just for you.

“Alright, guys. Let’s start digging. Remember, this needs to be plenty deep. Seven or eight feet deep oughta do it, as well as six feet long, three feet wide.” I order the other two as they grab our shovels.

We dug for what seemed like forever. Seconds turned to minutes, minutes turned to hours. Soon the sun set, forcing us to turn on the patio lights so we could keep digging. We wanted to finish this by morning, we didn’t want Fluttershy laying in that room long. We took breaks, we had others fill in for us, but it was an all-night project. Next thing we knew the sun was rising, but we finally finished. And by that time, Dash and Shadow had finished the tombstone.

Here lies Fluttershy.
Died: November 20, 2012
A kind soul, a caring person,
and the perfect friend.

We placed the tombstone at the head of her grave, and we were now ready to put her to rest.

We called everyone down for the burial. Everyone dressed in their best possible attires, and soon surrounded her grave site. Pancho and I went up to get her body, still laying where we left her. He grabbed her by the shoulders, me by the feet, and brought her downstairs and outside to the back, where everyone stood waiting.

We gently laid her down in her grave, some of us still crying our eyes out, some stood stone solid. Dash was one of those stone solid – she looked emotionless, almost uncaring. It made me sick to my stomach how this world was changing the girls, they were quickly losing their innocence, and now their lives.

The cool morning air made it feel calm, and peaceful. Before this whole zombie mess happened, this was the weather, the temperature, that I lived for. Blue skies, a warm sun, with cool air, a picture perfect atmosphere, with a solemn situation.

We all just gazed down at her body, silent, sobbing. “Shouldn’t we say a few words?” Shadow spoke up, finally, I agreed.

“Yeah…” I stepped up and cleared my throat. “… Fluttershy, she was what you wanted in a perfect person. She was kind, caring, loving, always put others before herself. If you were happy, she was happy. All she cared about were her friends, and their well-being. And when she came to this world, she handled it better than any of us could have imagined. She proved she was loving, but at the same time, strong. She helped with medical aid, and while a timid girl, she didn’t shy away from what needed to be done.”

“She also made Mig fear her more than a pack of hungry zombies” Beans chimed in, trying to crack a joke.

“Oh she did? Huh, I didn’t know that…” I was quiet for a second. Miguel… “She got Mig to shake in his boots! She did it all, and it was impossible not to love her to pieces. She was a saint among humans. Now, she is in her rightful place, away from the terrors, the death, the disease that is this world. She’s safe now, and she’ll be seeing us one day. One day Fluttershy, we’ll be seeing you again.” I look towards the clouds floating above me. A cool breeze kissed me on the cheek, making me wonder if that’s her, watching over us. “Fluttershy, we will miss you with every inch of our hearts. Rest is peace girl. You’re in a better place now.” I cross myself grabbing a shovel, and begin burying her. Beans and Pancho join in, and everyone stays till the very end. We finally bury her, and take one last look at her tombstone before heading in together.

But when we walk in, none of us were prepared for what we saw on the stairs.

There was someone walking down them, slowly, with one hand on the wooden railing, the other holding on to his stomach. He was obviously in pain, struggling to make it down the stairs. It was Mig.

“Erghh, hey guys! What’s-ARGH-er, what’s up?”

Author's Note:

Welp here's my comeback chapter! Waddya think? Lemme know! Thanks guys! And glad to finally be back! :D