• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 2,238 Views, 119 Comments

With a Knowledge of Everyting... - Lord Guffington

  • ...
11
 119
 2,238

A Trip to the Land of Souls

A Trip to the Land of Souls

I finish up on the suit of armor I recently made. Finally, I've gotten a job, and it turns out to be the blacksmith. It offers a fair amount of money, plus I don't think any other jobs would suit me well.

That, and a Pegasus is suitable for a blacksmith, not a unicorn like anyone would have thought. They use their wings to fan the fire, so that helps. The downside is I almost burnt off my tongue by holding a burning piece of metal in my mouth. Let me tell you now, that stuff is hot.

I brush off the chest plate and look at my reflection. I smile, then stick out my tongue and cross my eyes.

"Stop fooling around." Forge demands. He looks at the piece of armor and nods his head slowly with a smile. "Might I say, that is a fine looking piece of armor."

"Thanks." I look at it again. I set it down with the rest of my armor, which consists of boots, leggings, gauntlets, and a helmet. I styled it after a Roman set that I could remember the best, but it's smaller to fit my stature. It's been about a week since Trixie was in town. Of course, Twilight got rid of the Ursa Minor, Trixie ran out of town, and everyone now taunts her when they see her.

"How'd you come up with something like that?" Forge asks.

"I used a mold piece against my chest, and formed it into a more comfortable piece, along with the back piece." I say proudly. I put on the armor and shift it around. "There. Now I'm ready."

"Ready for what?"

"Lordran."

---------------

I stand outside the library, in my full suit of armor, save for the helmet which I hold in my hand.

"Are you sure about this?" Twilight asks me. I look behind my back and nod.

"Will you make it back alive?" Forge asks me. Most likely so he can keep his worker. That, or maybe he actually cares about me.

"Of course. It may be stupid, but it's also dumb."

Fluttershy hugs my armored legs. "Please, be careful," she whimpers. I rub her mane with an armored hand.

"I will. I have magic, and I will also get Estus Flasks."

"Estus what?" Applejack asks.

"Never mind." I look forward towards the expanse in front of the library. My vision blurs before words escape my mouth.

"Kren... Gron LEIN!"

A blue portal flashes in front of the ponies and I. I get halfway through the portal before turning around and waving goodbye. I put on my helmet and continue my trek through the portal.

Into the land of Dark Souls I go!

---------------

I pick myself up from the ground I recently blacked out from. I gaze through the opening of my helmet, which has no face. I set my eyes on the city before me.

The buildings are tall and white, as if they are made from pure marble that is cleaned everyday. Bridges connect from the great wall behind me. In the center of the city is a large castle, about three times as tall as the largest building in the city. I notice that I'm on a catwalk attached to the wall behind me, as well as a corner of the wall. I turn around and look outside the wall, surprised slightly by the sight I see.

The outside has an old and dead feeling to it, ruins cast everywhere. Many of said ruins are either still crumbling from age or the burnings they were left. To my right is a large church-like tower, also looking the relatively newest for it is now completely destroyed. Atop the church is a bell tower, adorned with gargoyles and a, of course, very large bell.

To my left is a mountain, with fewer buildings, but a much larger one. As I get a closer look, I can see small figures moving around, indicating that it is still in function. That must be Zen's Fortress.

I turn around and face the city once more. "Anor Londo, here I come." As I take the first step, a banshee's cry fills my ears. I spin on my feet just in time to get a face full of bleached demon. A force hits me in the chest, sending me off the catwalk. The sudden attack leaves me in shock, meaning I don't even get to release a yell or anything as I collide with the ground. My vision fades to black slowly as I feel my head slowly bleeding, along with a few ribs moving around in my chest. I soon black out, then die as the last few drops of blood leave my body.

---------------

"Put him..... He can rot..... Eternity." A deep, gruff voice is barely audible. I strain to move, but none of my body's movements obey me.

"Ha! Look at........ Could possibly... Tonight." Another voice says, this one a bit higher but still gruff. I attempt to open my eyes, but to no avail.

My body is thrown into the ground ungracefully.

"Soon, he will..... And I hate the Hollowed." The first voice says. My hearing is slowly coming back to me.

""I still say... Him. He could...." I don't get to hear the rest of the sentence as the voices fade off some more.


After I don't know how long, I am able to stand up. I look around and see that I am in some kind of prison. I look outside and see a scrawny arm reaching through another barred prison door. I look down and, to my horror, see that my arms are also thin. Not like I lost a bit of weight, but as if I am dead and haven't decomposed yet!

My memory slowly returns. Saying goodbye to the ponies, looking over Anor Londo, falling from a great height with no savior... Am I dead? I feel of my face proves that my theory is correct, feeling nothing but dry and thin skin. I try opening the door, but it is locked. I know that the flailing arm down the hall won't be able to help me. The only thing I can do is wait. I sit down next to a wall and lower my head in order to sleep.

So... Thirsty, I then fall asleep.

After many days of sleep, no food nor water, my savior comes. Footsteps fill the sense of my hearing, though I do not struggle to raise my head. A loud crash gets my attention though. I look up a little to see another body in my cell, a small wisp of white light above me and glowing. I look up higher to see a man in armor staring down at me from a hole in the ceiling. He runs off in a different direction, his footsteps leaving me to the silence of the dungeon. I get up with new strength and search the dead body, finding a key.

I insert the key into the lock and twist it, earning me satisfying click. I push the door open and walk out the door. As I walk, I feel a small weight on my side. I look down to find a sword hilt attached to my belt. With excitement, I remove the hilt, only to actually find only the hilt of a sword, save for a few inches of the actual blade. With a makeshift weapon, I walk down the hallway.

An pink colored zombie hobbles towards me. Although he may not look like a zombie, that is what I'll call them. I hit him with the hilt, knocking him back a bit. After a few hits, he goes down. A strange wisp of white and black something flies from the dead body to me. I mentally check my body to find I have gained about 20 souls. Don't know how I know that, but I think that'll come in handy.

I come across another zombie facing a wall with its hands up against it. I use a bit of strength to take him down, earning me 20 more souls. I walk up some nearby steps that lead into a door. Inside the room through said door is a sewer like room. It is slightly flooded, although not completely because grates surround the room. A spot another zombie in a corner, sitting with his legs crossed. I run over and kill him. I exit the room and am greeted with a small, wet hall way. I walk through and spot a ladder.

After climbing the ladder, walk though another door into a courtyard. Inside the courtyard is a mound if ash with a old, rusted and burnt sword in it. As I walk closer, a voice fills my head. Light me...

I walk closer and the voice repeats it, louder. I stick my hand over the sword and focus on the heat of my knowledge. The ash bursts into flames. I sit down with my legs crossed, and rest at the bonfire. From the flames jumps out a book. I pick up the book and read through it. Inside it has my name, along with lots of numbers beside words, like 'strength', 'vitality', and 'intelligence'. The intelligence's number is a 22, the vitality's is 18, and strength is 20. I try touching a number, but each time a message pops up reading 'Not enough souls.'

I toss the book back into the flames, stand up, and jog over to two large doors on the opposite side of the courtyard. I use as much strength as I can muster I to pushing open both doors at the same time. What? I might need an escape plan.

On the other side of the door is a much larger courtyard, filled with thin urns. A faint stomping fills my ears, getting louder each second.

"RAAGGGHHHRRRR!" A shout reaches my ears. I look up to see a very large creature jump down from a vantage point on the other side of the courtyard. Might I add the creature is an ugly sonuvabitch? He wields a very large club, the weapon very crude and jagged as if it was used up a lot. He has tiny wings, a giant lower portion, and a set of bottom teeth to large to even fit in his mouth.

He charges me with a raised club. I wait until the last second from him to swing to roll out of the way. He slowly pulls his club out of the ground while looking at me. I run past him into the middle of the courtyard, then evade into the archways of the inner courtyard, where I am surrounded with urns. I turn around to see him charging me again. Scheiße! I look around and spot a small door. I run to the door, the demon getting closer. I roll into the door, the rusted metal closing behind me.

The demon attempts to break open the door, but to no avail. I sit down and catch my breath, before my hand slips, causing me to fall down the flight of stairs. I land on some my back, the armor hitting my backside and knocking the wind out of me. I take a deep breath before standing up again. A song fills my mind for a second, probably my favorite verse.

Demons, demons, demons, demons. A transformer for some reason!

I shake my head and focus at the task at hand. I'm greeted with another bonfire, upon which I light by sticking my hand over. The light fills the dark room, just barely. I sit down at the bonfire again, and am given another Estus Flask and the same book from before. I toss the book in and check out the room. It is also filled with water, but has a few glowing marks in the ground. I put my hand to it and a voice fills my head once more.

Get your shield! I look out the next door and am greeted with an arrow wizzing past my face. I quickly duck and slowly look out the door again. Up a slanted hallway is a zombie reloading another arrow to his bow. I look to the left of the hallway and spot a dead guy with the same white wisp from early. I turn back to the undead archer, who already has his bow aimed at me. I bring my head back in to barely dodge the arrow, then run up the hallway. I grab the item from the dead guy, getting a blue, tattered shield that's about my size. I equip it and bring it up just in time to deflect an arrow.

The archer is met with a broken sword, for I had already run up the hallway and taken him out. Unfortunately, he didn't drop his bow. Behind him another dead guy with some item. I grab it and find it is a long sword. I drop my crappy broken sword and equip the new usable sword. I give it a swing to test it out, and am satisfied with the light results.

I continue onwards up some more steps. At the top of the steps is a doorway. Not any normal doorway though. This one has a bright white barrier that prevents me from seeing the other side. I walk up to it and find that I can't enter it normally. I bow my head in humbleness and walk slowly through the white light. I lift my head to see another door in front of me, although the door is broken so I can't open it. I look through the bars and see a man lying on top of some rubble. He looks oddly familiar, though.

I don't worry about it and continue on past the door. It was a singular room, meaning I could go on the left side of the wall and have the room to the right. To my left is a fall straight down to the courtyard, but it has safety bars so I don't fall down like the idiot I am. After getting to the corner of the catwalk, it makes a pathway to the left, leading up to more stairs. I begin walking up them, only to get a crunching sound. I look up the stairs to find a boulder rolling down towards me.

"Gah!" I roll off the stairs, falling onto a different flight of steps that lead down lower. The boulder that almost tried to kill me crashes into the wall that separates me from the room with the man atop the rubble. I walk inside and see him breathing heavily. His helmet that obscures his face looks up at me.

"... Oh, you... You're no Hollow, eh?" He asks me. I shake my head.

"... Thank goodness... I'm done for, I'm afraid... I'll die soon, then lose my sanity..." I raise my eyebrow a bit, but allow him to continue.

"... I wish to ask something of you... You and I, we're both undead... Hear me out, will you?"

"Sure." I say with a nod. I notice my voice is very raspy and oldish.

"... Regrettably, I have failed in my mission... But perhaps you can keep the torch lit... There is an old saying in my family..." He coughs harshly before continuing. "... Thou who art Undead, art chosen... I. Thine exodus from the Undead Asylum, maketh pilgrimage to the land of the Ancient Lords... When thou ringeth the Bell of Awakening, the fate of the Undead shalt know. Well, now you know... And I can die with hope in my heart..."

My feels alarm go off a bit. I don't even know this guy, yet he strikes me as a dying hero. "... Oh, one more thing... Here, take this..." He hands me five bottles filled with a glowing yellow-orange substance. "... An Estus Flask, an Undead favorite... Oh, and this." He hands me a key, for which I don't know where it goes. "... Now I must bid farewell... I would hate to harm you after death... So, go now... And thank you."

I give him a salute before turning around and jogging back up the stairs. Upon reaching the top step, I find an undead waiting for me there. This one has a sword, however. He leaps towards me with a strike, but I have my shield up. His sword bounces off harmlessly. I swing down my side with a wide arc, then upwards. He falls over, giving me the 20 should he has on him.

I hear the eerie sound of souls flying through the air, and am given 100 souls. I run back down the stairs an into the room, not finding the knight anywhere. I shrug and head down the lower stairs. Upon opening the door, I see that I am back in the previous, smaller courtyard. I rest at the bonfire, my body feeling as if it were new. I check my arms and see that they are still dead-looking.

I get up and go back up the stairs, back up to the spot with that zombie jerk with his boulder of doom. What surprises me is that the zombie is somehow alive again. He runs forward and tries a normal attack, but I am ready. As soon as the sword is close enough, I hit it away with my sword, then thrust me sword into the zombie's body. I lower my sword and kick him off my sword, gaining 20 more souls.

I open the gate that was behind him and walk through. I spot another patch of glowing scratches in the ground. I touch it and a voice fills my head. If one were to dual wield a sword, that would make their attacks stronger. I put the Heater Shield on my back and hold the sword with two hands.

"Nah," I replace the shield in my left hand and continue on. After a few more steps, I reach the edge of a wall, which has a drop that is very high on the other side. Footsteps are heard by me to my left. I bring up my shield up just in time to stop a zombie's attack. He recoils from the defense and ends up with a sword slash through his chest. Slower zombie walks out through the ruined doorway that the other zombie came out from. I back up into a more open area. He walks up to me, his sword already raised. I dodge to his right and end up behind him.

"Backstab!" My raspy voice shouts as I stab the zombie in the back. I kick him off of my sword as well. My armor clinks as I jog through the doorway, into an arrow. The arrow lands into my shoulder, causing me to grab it in pain. I suck in a breath through my clenched teeth. My shield is raised up just in time to block another arrow. I dash forward and jump in the air, thrusting my sword into the zombie archer. I pull the arrow out, causing me more pain. I chug down one of my five Estus Flasks to heal myself.

I turn to the left to see another fog gate. I lower my head and walk through, finding myself on a ledge. I look down to see that ugly, giant demon from before, although he doesn't see me. I put my sword in both of my hands and prepare myself.

"Geronimo!" I shout as I jump down. I thrust my sword downwards, the blade stabbing through the demon's giant neck. He roars in pain before shaking me off. I get up from the ground to see him raising his club. I roll behind him, just in time to see him swing the club as if he were playing golf. I raise my shield just in time to block the wide range, for he turned around slightly whilst swinging. I swing my sword through his leg, damaging him a little.

I attempt another swing, but he dug the club through the ground while swinging it, knocking me into a wall. My vision is blurry before I shake my head. I get up and roll just in time to dodge another attack. I jump onto the demon's back and stab him. He shakes around in pain before shaking me off again. He landed on my back, my stamina drained. He stood over me for a second before raising his club to crush me.

"Bah... Ag DU!"

A large fireball erupts from in front of me, hitting the Asylum Demon head on. He shook around as the flames engulfed him. He turned around to me once more, anger in his puny eyes. I out the shield on my back and the sword in both of my hands. I raises his club to crush me once more, while I dash forward. The club comes down, but I dodge and run around behind him. I jump onto his back and run up to his neck. I raise the long sapwood with two hands, bringing it down it to the base of it's neck.

The demon gives a howl of pain before lowering its head. I jump off from the neck and roll. I turn around to watch as the demon starts glowing white. It gives another howl of pain before completely glowing with, and explodes harmlessly into lots of tiny white specks. In its place is a small, glowing wisp, this one golden. I walk over and grab it, holding it out with my hand. In my palm stands a smaller, spirit-like object that is black with a white outline. I feel the souls enter my body. I check to see how may I have, finding out I have 2732 souls. That's a lot.

I jog over to the opposite door and open it like I did with the other two large doors. My gaze meets a small hill, with the background of a mountainous landscape behind it. I jog up the hill, which is occasionally strewn with steps from ruins. When I reach the top, it extends a little farther than the actual mountain. I look over the edge and see death, also known as a very high drop. I look over the mountains taking in the beautiful sight of something.

It is so beautiful, I don't even hear the wing flaps. The thing that shakes me out of my trance is the sudden appearance of a ver large raven. I flinch by stepping back a bit. It grabs me in its talons, holding onto my arms. I do t struggle, for my brain locked down half of a second ago.

The giant bird carries me for about ten minutes, three of those were circling the city. It drops me off very quickly on a small spot outside the city. I bend my knees to absorb the shock, although my legs still hurt a bit. I look up to see ruins in a large place, the only living creature a man in a suit of armor, leggings, and gauntlets. No helmet, though. I stares intently at a bonfire which is already lit. He only glances up at me, then back down to the bonfire. I walk up to him.

"Well, what do we have here? You must be a new arrival. Let me guess. Fate of the Undead, right? Well, you're not the first." I tilt my head to the side with a raised eyebrow. "But there's no salvation here. You'd have done better to rot in the Undead Asylum... But, too late now. Well, since you're here... Let me help you out.

"There are actually two Bells of Awakening. One's up above, in the Undead Church. The other is far, far below, in the ruins at the base of Blighttown. Ring them both, and something happens... Brilliant, right? Not much to go on, but I have a feeling that won't stop you. So, off you go. It is why you came, isn't it? To this accursed land of the Undead? Hah hah hah hah..." His laugh fades off as he goes back to thought.

"Hey, how do I restore my humanity?" I ask.

"Hm, what? Restoring your humanity? Well, there are a few ways to go about it... Collect it bit by bit from corpses, or you can butter up a cleric, and get yourself summoned. And the quickest way, although I'd never do it, is to kill a healthy Undead, and pillage its humanity. Coveting thy neighbor is human, after all! Hah hah hah hah..." His laugh trails off again. I nod and turn back to the bonfire. I sit down at it, my health being restored, and Estus Flasks restored.

The book pops out again. I look at the stats again. I tap my vitality, it going up from 18 to 19. I notice my souls are a bit depleted. I level up my dexterity from 15 to 16, and my endurance from 13 to 14. I try leveling up something else, but find I have not enough souls. I toss the book back into the fire and stand up. I look around the ruins a bit more until I find a well, with a dead guy hanging over the edge with an item on it. I go over and pick it up, finding, not one humanity, but three.

I jog back over to the fire and rest again. I take one of the four humanities and offer it to the flame. I feel my body restore back to normal, my arms, legs, and everything else becoming normal again. I sigh in relief. I turn back to the guy who constantly laughs. He turns to me with an annoyed expression.

"What?" He asks. I stand up and walk over to him.

"You there. My mission is complete, so I need you to ring the Bells of Awakening." I say with a knightly accent. He sputters a bit before standing up.

"Listen here, child. I have duties to fill, and I will not take orders from a youngling!" I points a finger in my face. I return the hard gaze.

"Very well, then. It seems my mission will not be completed due to you. I bid you farewell." I turn around and blur my vision.

"Kren... Gron LEIN!"

The same blue portal opens up. I turn around a give a salute before walking through.

---------------

I pop into the library, my armor making a lot of noise. Twilight turns around to meet me.

"You're back!" She jumps up and dashes over to hug me. I return the hug. "Thank Celestia you're safe!"

"Actually, I did die once." She backs off a bit and stares at me in horror.

"What?!"

"Relax. It was only once. I think it was supposed to happen anyways." I remove my helmet.

"H-how did this happen?"

"Well, it was when I teleported into Anor Londo," Twilight levitates over a quill and parchment. "And then a flying demon swooped in and knocked me over an edge, sending me to my death..."

I tell Twilight the story of my time in Lordran, the Asylum Demon, and the Estus Flasks.

Author's Note:

Hey guys. An update already?! Yep. Anyways, since many of you don't vote, you can vote again here. Make sure you do vote, though. I want to have an actual poll. Kinda.

A Zebra and Poison Joke
Parasprite Invasion
Winter Wrap-Up