• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 2,238 Views, 119 Comments

With a Knowledge of Everyting... - Lord Guffington

  • ...
11
 119
 2,238

A Glimpse of My Future

I look down at the gravestone, which held six different symbols on it.

Three apples.

Three balloons.

Three gems.

Three butterflies.

A cloud with a multicolored lightning bolt.

And a six-pointed star with many smaller stars behind it.

Yes, they have finally passed, yet I haven't. It may be because I'm human. It may be because I was infused with two different lives. I don't know.

I have grown older during the time I've been here. In fact, the last time I looked in a mirror, I reminded myself of Nathan Drake. Except I don't have his clothing, and I have a beard to go along with it. The mares dig the beard. Right, getting off track.

The Mane 6 have passed on, but their heroism will last for a long time. I also have a bit of fame, but the Mustang normally would get that. You know, being Equestria's protector and all.

A few light thumps brings my attention away from the rock. I turn to see Spike, who has also grown as well, land next to me from his flight. He finally got taller than me, as well as is spikes. Hence his name I guess.

"Hey," I say. He looks down at me.

"Hey," his deep voice answers. I turn to my left to see three alicorns standing next to me.

"Greetings, Spike," Luna says.

"Hello, Spike," Celestia doubles.

Cadence is silent as she gazes upon a smaller grave next to the monument. This one has a shield with a six-pointed star on it. Shining Armor didn't make it through a battle we had together. When Cadence heard the news, she was devastated. I was too. Shining and I were great friends. And I'll never forget his last words.

"Sir, permission to be dismissed?"

"Permission granted..."

My eyes burn with tears as the memory flashes by.

"I really wish they were still here," I say to myself, "They were the main cause of most of my happiness before coming here."

"I do as well," Celestia agrees. I turn to her and notice her head is low, eyes closed and a tear rolling down her face. Some more soft wing flaps draws our attention. We notice our new visitor, a familiar pegasus that I love.

"Hey son."

"Hey Dad."

Yep. Have my own children, a filly and a colt, just now entering adulthood. I have yet to tell them the non-benefits to it.

I lean on my sword, which I modified so it can act as a walking stick. I may be in my thirties, but I feel like I'm in my sixties.

My thirties. Has it already been that long? So many ponies and people have passed by. Last time I went to Earth, I found out I'm the last of my family there. My sister has recently passed away. And by recently, I mean six Equestrian years ago. I really wish I spent more time with them. And I wish I knew what was going on back home.

This sadness has sometimes become unbearable. Yes, I know that suicide is wrong, but what if you lost almost everything that made you happy? Yes, I know I can survive on my own, but what is the point of going on if you have no new goals?

"Let's get this over with," I say as I wipe away a tear. I turn my head to the sky, as well as the other two males.

"Yol... Toor SHUL!"

A stream of fire erupts each of our mouths. We do this for respect and honor in the Elements of Harmony. Like how a few men shoot rifles at a funeral. And yes, my children can shout like I can.

The fire soon dissipates, and turn my back to the sky. I clench my eyes to get the tears out of them, but more return. I forget about it and slowly walk away, the memories of them coming back.

--------

I sit in Joe's Donut Shop, although Joe isn't here anymore. His son took over after Joe... left. A sprinkled doughnut sits in front of me, barely even touched. I don't even like sprinkled doughnuts.

A poof knocks me out of my state and a scroll lands on the doughnut. Good, I hated that doughnut anyways. I oen up the scroll.

Dear Christian,

I apologize to interrupt anything you may be doing, but Equestria is in a small predicament. The minotaurs have come to a disagreement, and have ordered their troops to attack in a week in the forest east of Vanhoover. I must ask you to join in this battle, for you will be needed greatly.

Princess Celestia

I roll up the scroll and put it in my pocket, which has been enchanted to hold larger objects. Have I mentioned I love putting things in my pockets?

I head to my house, which is in the middle class area of Canterlot. I moved out of Ponyville, so there would be less travel and I can be closer to my current family.

After half an hour of gearing up, I have my armor, my sword, and a bag of potions attached to my body.

The barracks have been greatly improved, technology wise. Instead of chariots, they had pony-fitted jeeps, tanks, and helicopters. I may have been at fault for that. They also have computers, which might be from the 1980's on Earth. Again, I might have been responsible.

A pony in uniform trots up to me and salutes.

"At ease," I demand. He lowers his hoof and turns to the clipboard in his magic grip.

"We are to send out troops in four minutes, and a few squadrons every four. When will you join them?"

"I was told to never throw the first punch, but that sure as hell doesn't mean I'm not going to throw the last," I respond. "I'm going with the first group."

"Yes sir!" I salutes once more before galloping off. Their weapons are still medieval, but only a few are modern, which are just black powder rifles and other stuff like that.

I jog to one of the helicopters with the spinning rotors and hop into the cargo bay. There, I see sixteen stallions, all dressed in armor and a sea of emotions. Scared, angry, sad, you name it. Hell, one was even excited.

I sit on one of the benches and lay my sword angled next to me. I feel a few stares, but ignore them. I've gotten used to it, mostly because of Canterlot snobs. A few whispers are passed around, and I use my magic to sneakily enhance my hearing.

"Is that the Mustang?"

"Is he going to battle with us?"

"Do you think I can get an autograph?"

"What if he can't help us win this war?"

I stop right there and think. What if I can't? I mean, I've made allies with other nations, but the minotaurs are another story.

The helicopter jolts upwards, meaning we're taking off. I reach into a pocket and pull out a picture. A picture of my wife.

"Who's that, you're sister?" a stallion asks me. I could detect a hint of sarcasm in there. Good thing I've gotten better at not punching others in the face.

"Nope, that's my wife."

"Oh. Well, she's pretty, that's for sure. Going to see her when we're done?"

"I wish I could." I put the picture back in my pocket before staring at the floor again.

-------

The helicopter slows down and drops a bit, meaning we're about to land. I look back up from the ground to see the stallions getting their gear ready.

I put on my helmet and activate the HUD. It may look like a knight's helmet, but technology is amazing. The display shows where my allies are, my heartbeat, and a quick recap of my mission.

I open the cargo door and am met with a bright light. The helmet reduces the glare through some filters and I can see properly again. The large trees stand tall, still fresh with any leaves. The grass sways gently, and the wind is barely there.

I grab a large tent and put it over my shoulder. A few of the ponies do the same and start setting up tents. By nightfall, a camp is already set up and a few more helicopters have dropped off some more soldiers.

Here's the calm before the storm

--------

One week later...(Didn't want to write the awesome battle /._.\)

I drop the satchel, which is now empty of potions. My breathing is shallow, there is a cut in my right arm, and I think my nose is broken. My magic is drained, and I'm about to pass out. I put my hands on my knees, and take a few deep breaths.

"Hahaha!" the laugh resonates through the forest, shaking my spine from a chill. I look up to see a larger than normal minotaur standing a ways from me with a smug grin. I'm the last on my side for now, but hopefully I'll get some backup soon. But not soon enough.

"Look at you. Tired. Wounded. And all alone. How pathetic of Equestria to send this weakling to face me, Chief Firehorn!" the minotaur gloats. I cough to clear my airway.

"You may have not noticed it, but you are also alone." He looks around before chuckling once more.

"It does not matter, for I can take you on easily!" Man, what has this guy been drinking?

"Okay, Mr. Hot stuff. Come over here and prove it to me!" I ignore the burning in my lungs and charge forward, sword in hand.

He stops laughing and pulls out the ax on his back. I continue charging, and evade the obvious downward blow. I attempt a stab at his leg, but get smacked away.

"Phah! Is that the best you can do?! Pathetic!" he taunts. I push myself up and use some recharged magic to heal the wound in my arm.

"I've faced the Lord of Fire, defeated a thief from a desert, and murdered the eater of worlds! YOU ARE NOTHING!" I charge forward once more and jump over a sideways swing. I cut the wooden handle of the ax easily, sending the double sided blade flying. I take a second to admire my handiwork. Rule #1 of War: Never turn you back on the enemy.

I turn around just in time for a dagger to get thrust into the right side of my chest. And by dagger, I mean minotaur sized, which is the length of my sword. A pop and a few cracks are the only sound I hear. Then comes the deep laughter.

"Fool. You could have defeated me right here, but you became reckless. And now here you are, slowly dying on my dagger." Firehorn breathes into my face.

"I've still... *cough* one more trick up my sleeve." It's an old trick I accidentally made a long time ago. I grab hold of his horns, allowing my body to slide down the blade a few inches, which hurt. The look on his face is priceless.

"Fus... Toor DIIN!"

An explosion blasts through the forest, sending a mix of shock wave, fire, and ice. Yes, I mixed up shouts.

As the smoke clears, half of my body feels like it's frozen, half feels like it's on fire, and the whole feels like it got hit by a brck wall.

I strain my head up to see a minotaur body with no head lying a few feet away from me.

"Groovy," my head falls back onto the ground, my eyes starting to close.

"Dad!"

"Huh?" I force my eyes open to see my son's head above mine. "Hey."

"Dad! You're injured!"

"I'm fine."

"No, you're not! I'm getting help!" He begins to run away, but I grab his hind leg.

"I said I'm fine. Don't both-"

"Hey, you!" A familiar voice calls. I turn my head to see a griffin face within sight.

"Sup, Gil?" Gilda was still alive, and the Griffin Kingdom was united with Equestria. Gilda lost her purple tint and now they're turning gray and silver, such is the way of life.

"Don't tell me you're dying on me already, right?" We had become friends, even though we still insult each other often.

"No promises."

"I'll get hel-"

"For the last time, I don't need any help. It's my time." A gasp grabs my attention.

"N-no! I can't let you go like that, Dad!"

"No, you can. *cough* You just aren't accepting it yet." My colt's eyes are tearing up. I put a hand to his face and give him a smile.

"First Mom... and now you...*sniffle*."

"Listen to me carefully. I am entrusting you *cough* to be the Mustang." A bit of blood makes its way into my mouth.

"I-I can't do that!"

"Yes you can! Take this." I pull out a circle of harmless fire and hand it to him. "This is the Darksign. *cough* With it, you can not die of battle wounds or injuries. You will be revived back at a bonfire, but use these to return to your normal self. Otherwise, you won't get any mares." I hand him my humanity I held on to. He gives a wry laugh at the last comment. A faint light shines through the clouds above.

"Are you s-sure?"

"Positive."

"... Thanks."

"Any time." I give a wink before holding a ball of magic that holds music. My body feels significantly colder, and I don't like this kind of cold. The light grow brighter as well. "Well, here I come."

I let go of the ball and allow it to flow up, starting to play a song as the world grows into a brightening white.

--------

The light dims down to a the sight a figures walking around. Many creatures of different species walk around on clouds, completely ignoring the fact they can't do that without magic. Oh wait, we're all dead.

"There he is!" a voice I'd never thought I'd hear again shouts. I turn to see a pink ball of fur land on me. I open my eyes to see baby blue eyes staring back.

"Oh my gosh! I can't bel-" Pinkie doesn't get any further before my hand envelops her snout.

"Yes, I'm here." Five more ponies wrap me in a hug. "Miss me?"

"Surely you don't think we didn't, did you?" Rarity asks.

"There could be chances."

"Glad you're here, sugarcube," a cowpony tells me.

"It was painful but worth it."

"Don't tell me you forgot about us," a familiar voice calls out. I turn from the ponies to see some very special people standing above me.

My dad, mom, brother, and sister. I stand up and walk slowly towards my dad. One step forward. Then another. And then I'm in front of him. It takes a few seconds for me to register what I'm seeing. My father. The one who I haven't seen in over twenty years. Standing in front of me.

I launch forward in a hugging motion and latch on. I feel his great arms wrap around me as well. We stand there for a minute. Then two. And then I let go and look up to him with tears in my eyes.

"I missed you," he says.

"I-I missed you too." I turn to the rest of my family and wrap them in a hug.

After introductions-which were already made when I was alive-I noticed a large tower in the distance. It seemed to be made of giant speakers, and many smaller speakers were around it like a trash dump. The tower was cylindrical, and the top looked flat. It seemed really familiar...

"Hey Phoenix. Remember Guitar Hero III?" I ask him. He looks confused before nodding. "Then let's go."

We climb Speaker Mountain and make it to the top. There is an altar with two giant speakers for its base and a Viking helmet that has wings, except replace the wings with glowing rock-and-roll hand signs.

"So what are we playing?" Phoenix asks.

"A quick story about my life," I find a guitar and pick it up.

"Seriously?" he asks sarcastically. "We're going to play that?" He receives a smack across the back of the head. "Okay! Well, I can't believe I actually get to play it!"

"What are you talking about?" I wrap the strap in the correct position on my shoulder. "You're singing."

"WHAT?!"

"Yep. I've gotten better at real guitar, so I'm doing it."

"Wha-.... Fine..."

I take a few seconds to begin before I tighten my grip on the pick and start.

Author's Note:

Sorry I've been dead, guys. To make up for it, have a chapter I really wanted to write.

I own none of the songs.