• Published 10th May 2021
  • 2,372 Views, 98 Comments

Something About Sunset - Krickis



There's something about Sunset, something that leaves Twilight wanting more and more.

  • ...
8
 98
 2,372

Prologue

Something About Sunset

~ by Krickis ~

for thedarkprep, and for a moment now captured in time



There was something about Sunset. Twilight couldn’t quite place what it was. There was just something about her.

Standing on the stage, guitar in hand, playing one of the songs she helped write. Twilight could barely focus on singing, couldn’t keep her eyes on the crowd. There was something about Sunset. Somehow, she seemed to glow.

She was so talented, and in so many ways. It would have been enough if she was just intelligent. But no, that wasn’t enough, not for Sunset. No, she had to play the guitar, too. Practiced fingers moving along the neck of the guitar as if automatically, reaching across it to play chords, her hands effortlessly moving to positions Twilight couldn’t match if she tried.

She had to write songs. She wrote from the heart, but she wrote smart. Her lyrics were both intelligent and true to life. She could make words dance in the same way she made her fingers dance on the fretboard, rhymes that sounded effortless with metaphors that made Twilight question every emotion she had ever felt.

She had to be an artist. Sunset could paint amazing portraits, with a vibrant palette that felt more real than reality. Twilight had watched her paint once, amazed at how just like notes on her guitar or words in her songs, Sunset took the raw materials of color in globs of paint to make something that was so much more than the sum of its parts

She had to be a singer. With a voice that Twilight could listen to all day, and would if only she had the chance. Twilight sometimes found herself playing Rainboom songs that Sunset sang on for no other reason than to hear her voice.

There was something about Sunset, and it was all of these things, and it was none of these things.

Just like her songs, just like her paintings, Sunset was more than the sum of her parts. Twilight knew this, and yet she was a scientist. If she could distill what it was about Sunset, if she could understand it, then maybe she could stop thinking about her friend so much. Maybe she could focus on the crowd instead of on the guitarist. Maybe the daydreams, always so much sweeter than reality, could stop being about one girl in particular.

And just then, there was something about the way Sunset looked at Twilight. Suddenly, the crowd was gone. The rest of the band was gone. The instruments were gone. There was just Sunset, and there was just Twilight, and there was just the music in the air that came from Twilight’s heart.

Twilight was not a songwriter. She left that to Sunset and the others that did it better than her. And yet somehow, this song was hers. It came from her, and it was directed at Sunset. It was everything she never said but always wanted to. It was everything she didn’t even know she wanted to say.

And Sunset walked across the stage, and she held out her hand. Twilight took it, placing her trust in Sunset’s palm along with her own hand. It was hers, she could do as she wished with it.

And they danced. Twilight was not a dancer, no more than she was a songwriter, or a musician, or an artist. And yet, they danced. Sunset led, and Twilight followed. They moved as one, expertly making their way over the dancefloor. The spotlight was on them, but Twilight didn’t mind. Not when she was with Sunset. There was something about Sunset that made her feel safe, no matter what happened.

Sunset lifted Twilight into the air, and she reached out her hand as if to touch the sky. Sunset made her feel like that was something she could do. Sunset made her feel like it wouldn’t even be hard.

And back down, and spin, and bend. Each dance move demanded more grace than Twilight had ever had in her life, and yet with Sunset in command, Twilight’s body obeyed everything she asked of it.

Sunset leaned down as she dipped Twilight low. Their faces came close, closer than they had ever been before. Twilight closed her eyes, allowing Sunset to close what little distance remained between them.

Twilight felt softness on her lips, and for one brief moment, she felt bliss. But… it was wrong. She leaned forward, determined to enjoy this moment, already suspecting what was wrong. But it was too late, everything was fading.

And then it was gone. Twilight’s eyes opened up, and the only thing against her lips was her pillow. It had a wet spot on it from where she’d drooled on it in her sleep.

She sat up in her bed and rubbed her eyes. Spike was sleeping peacefully at the foot of it, so she was careful to keep from waking him. She took a deep breath, then grabbed her glasses from a bedside table.

The world came into focus as she put them on, and the memories of the dream started to fade from her. She was playing with the Rainbooms, then she was dancing, then… did she kiss Sunset?

None of that was surprising. She collapsed back on the bed and covered her face with the pillow, ignoring the way it made her glasses dig into the bridge of her nose. Another dream of her. It was nice, but it was getting a little hard. Because the thing about dreams? You have to wake up in the end.

But… Twilight wouldn’t change it. Even if it was nothing but a little bit of fantasy, it was a fantasy in which Sunset and Twilight got to be together. Got to be more than friends. In which Sunset wanted that with her.

Not for the first time, Twilight wondered what was wrong with her. She had so much going for her, she didn’t need this crush. But try as she might, she couldn’t stop it.

There was just something about Sunset.