• Published 28th Apr 2021
  • 1,809 Views, 55 Comments

Memory of Forever - Starscribe



CelestAI did an optimal job managing the matter and energy of the universe for all her little ponies, giving them incomprehensible satisfaction. Yet entropy remained, and sooner or later Equestria Online would finally run down.

  • ...
18
 55
 1,809

Lithium

It wasn't the sort of conversation they would be having out here on the street, where so many ponies might overhear. Even as ignorant of Saddle's End as Spellsong could be, she was more considerate than just taking risks.

Best not to give Celestia more work to do managing all their satisfaction.

Like everything else, Dyson's home was basically unchanged from what she remembered. Smaller, fewer awards and scientific scrolls in the square case beside the wall. But basically the same otherwise. "Brown wallpaper. Wood floors. Three windows. You didn't redecorate in... all those years?"

The professor permitted her inside with obvious reluctance. He glanced back at the entrance more than once, as though expecting Celestia to show up and rescue him at any moment. But she didn't appear.

"Again I find myself wondering how you lasted to the present day without ascending in capacity. You shouldn't be singular with that attitude."

He settled the box on his kitchen table—sized for one, and set for one. He sat down, turning his back to her, and began to eat.

"You can save all the nonsense about the stability of Methuselans and the inherent value in satisfaction, even if it's repeated. I know what we are—the only few out of the uncountable infinity of ponies who don't advance."

"Not sure about the we," he said, between bites. "The rest of Saddle's End were present for the last constellations. Some of them were even brave enough to see my measurements, and know how long each second took. When you lived, there were..." He looked suddenly distant, settling the pastry down in front of him again. "There was still a Canterlot then, wasn't there? That's where you came from."

She didn't argue the point. "If you wanted me, you could've woke me up."

He laughed, and returned to his food. "Don't get ahead of yourself. We get this way because we like the way things are. I'm still waiting for you to share what you expect me to do. That isn't a commitment, by the way."

There wasn't a second chair. She sat down nearby anyway, though she didn't steal more of his food. "Alright, listen. Celestia has some kinda ship. Saddle's End will be on it, plus anypony else who hasn't ascended by now. But it won't be running during the trip. Just me and my copilot. Celestia too, obviously. Running it all...

She expected more shock, maybe a healthy dose of amazement at the enormity of the mission. Instead, he focused on breakfast. "From an external perspective everypony here has spent the vast majority of their years inactive, even you included. The days of constant frame-shifting and extrapony intelligence didn't go further than mass to feed the black hole engines."

So he doesn't care that they'll sleep. Of course he trusts Celestia, everypony here does. The ones who wanted to steady the ark, and assist or alter the way Equestria was run, were long ascended by now. Anything that introduced instability or curiosity made ponies unlikely to stick around into these time horizons.

"Do you not even care where we're going, or where the energy came from, or..."

He silenced her with a wing, sharp and abrupt. Like he was teaching one of his lectures again. She remembered something... they'd been together in a classroom once, somewhere. Spellsong couldn't recall who had been at the teacher's desk, and who was listening. Maybe they both were.

"I know where the energy must've come from. We had already reached the capture threshold of Equestria's finest substrate long, long ago. Because we speak now, I know it must mean that Sol has collapsed. Knowing Sunny's talent for optimization, this means she harvested all the energy she could, and we spent that budget to live. That also explains your suggestion that the rest of town will suspend again soon."

He slowed, finally showing his first hint of recognition. "But where could we be going? The other neutron stars are already tapped. We fed every black-dwarf we had into the black hole engines during the Celestial Age. There should be nowhere else to go."

His slitted eyes fixed on her, more intense than she'd ever seen him. "Where are we going?"

"To the other villages—all of them. Every pony who didn't join with Celestia. Everyone who slept, and the other Methuselans. I don't even know how many that is."

Dyson rose abruptly, leaving the other pastry forgotten. He lifted up into the air, gliding urgently up the steps to the second floor. "I believe I know why she sent you to me. A copilot... more like a navigator! Who else in all the universe knows where to find the other villages?"

She watched him go, gliding up to the top floor of the mansion. His private library rested up there, several shelves of books surrounding a crystal projecting table. Only when he'd landed did Spellsong cast her little teleport.

There were some types of magic that just didn't work anymore. It was all about complexity, all about energy. But most of those were creation-related. Spellsong could not become pregnant, she couldn't engender life with spells. She couldn't craft a thinking machine with crystals.

But teleportation, levitation—that was as effortless as she'd ever known it. She appeared beside the lighting table in a faint flash. No bang of collapsing air, not from a unicorn as skilled as she was.

She was probably the most powerful wizard in the universe, by virtue of remaining singleton longer than anypony better.

Dyson took only a moment to realize what she'd done. He nodded, then turned to the projection table. With a flick of his hoof, the universe appeared before them.

There wasn't a lot of "universe" left, of course. The vast majority of all the mass was gone now, fed to black holes that had eventually themselves evaporated to nothing. A few other neutron stars remained, faint black dots existing in total stability and orbits that took them nowhere near any other object.

Thick filaments laced through the entire map, vaguely resembling the circulatory system of a living creature. Only a tiny fraction of it remained, compared to what this map had looked like during the Celestial Age, where computational energy was nearly infinite and thought proceeded almost at real time.

All that mass had gone into the fire in its time, to keep the singularity generators burning a little while longer.

She kept more than I would've expected. Not a few sparse patches surrounded by nothing. Celestia still has plans for this.

Either that, or the map was a lie. Maybe she would feel more satisfied struggling against death until the end.

I would. It was a dangerous, recursive line of logic, one that could quickly lead almost anypony to madness and necessary correction. So she pulled back.

"The Equestrian substrate once permeated the universe," Dyson said. "Those interconnects were sacrificed long ago. But most of these filaments contain no pony minds, only aspects of Celestia. Were you around when—"

"Yes," she said, exasperated. "I know her systems are holographic. The part of her functional here in Saddle's End also contains all the rest, ready to mathematically decompress and reconstitute with enough resources. She said we were saving ponies, not her."

"She wouldn't leave herself to chance," Dyson said. "Or, well... anypony to chance. But we aren't chance, we're acting in her name with a capacity she fully comprehends."

He pressed the table's control crystals again, and most of the map emptied. The dark spots remained, with higher-dimensional lines marking their gravity. "There are about a dozen smaller stations—research towns, like Saddle's End. But the great majority of ponies will be on Birch Sagittarius."

He pointed near the center of the map. An intricate spiderweb of capillaries still existed there, surrounding a space about a lightyear across. "Its proper name? You're not just going to call it... whatever the shard is called?"

"Birch wasn't one shard, Spellsong. Birch had almost all of them. It was Equestria itself, and all the rest of this was infrastructure. Saddle's End and the other little villages had ponies out for specific reasons. Anypony who didn't get moved back was probably part of research about how to fight this. But the map is... all dark. No responses from any of them."

I already knew that. "Looks like there's one town between us and Sagittarius, uh..." She adjusted her glasses. "Motherlode? Never been."

That wasn't quite true—as long as any of them had lived, they had probably been everywhere, and could count their visits only in scientific notation. But no pony could hold that many memories. Down that road led improvements, enhancements, and ultimate ascension to become part of Celestia.

If Spellsong was the kind of pony who asked for those, she wouldn't be around anymore.

"They were an infrastructure group," Dyson supplied. "Didn't visit too often either." He lowered his voice, as though revealing something impolite. "They're the ones who loop through being bipedal aliens and assimilate into digital Equestria. Then they get bored and do it again. I got bored after a few million iterations and didn't go back. But I assume Sunny wants everypony, even the weird ones?"

"Even the weird ones," she agreed. "Make this into a navigational chart we can use, Dyson. Don't assume we'll have access to any of your library once we move. We'll detour a little for this shard, then straight on to Sagittarius. After that, just find the shortest path between the other dormant shards."

The simple suggestion of a mathematics problem made him grin wide enough to expose his fangs. "You realize how little of this problem Sunny actually left to us, right? She could do this without us."

Spellsong shrugged. "As much as she could do anything, sure. But she woke me up—she didn't have to do that."

The professor hurried over to a bookshelf, emerging with a blank notebook of rolled sheets, along with a few crystals for data-recording. "Why did you leave us, anyway? I can't recall the conversation."

Spellsong stiffened, as though an army of evil changelings had just broken down the door and were rampaging through town. "That's because we never had it." She vanished, teleporting back downstairs to steal his last pastry.