• Published 2nd May 2021
  • 3,446 Views, 18 Comments

Twilight's "Baby" Dragon - SuperPinkBrony12



(Story idea requested by Yaakov Lubin. Takes place in an AU post Season 5.) Spike finds himself in a parallel universe where he is an actual baby being cared for by Twilight. He struggles to find out how he got there and how to get back.

  • ...
12
 18
 3,446

Playdate and Discovery

Author's Note:

As this is taking place in an AU post Season 5, the Cake Twins would only just be getting out of diapers since we first saw them diaperless in "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" and that was before Starlight showed up again.

This AU can best be described as similar to the one Spike was in originally, except for one crucial detail. But the entire concept behind the multiverse theory is in fact that parallel universes are mostly similar, there's just one event major or minor that played out slightly different.

This Twilight was definitely more skilled at spoon feeding than Starlight, probably helped by the fact that this Twilight was now far more awake than she had been earlier.

Spike was glad when it was over, he absolutely hated the way all that baby food tasted. And he was even happier when he was given a warm bottle of milk to wash it all down. Then he felt himself be picked up and placed over this Twilight's lap as she patted his little tummy repeatedly. With no control over his own body, Spike felt himself let out a tiny burp as this Twilight just cooed. "Good boy, Spike. That's my little dragon."

"If it weren't so patronizing I wouldn't mind it so much," Spike thought to himself. "If only I could figure out how to get this Twilight's attention and make her realize I'm not her Spike. But how?"

The little dragon thought about this for several minutes. He still didn't know for sure if this wasn't some enchantment or some kind of spell that had backfired. He kept trying to rack his brain to remember what he'd been doing yesterday, but it always felt like there was a fog. A part of him that always kept telling him not to think about such things because he was "too little".

Because Spike was thinking about this so much, he almost didn't notice when he saw this Twilight pull out a buggy. Not just any stroller though, it looked exactly like the one he'd remembered his Twilight using years ago when trying to escape a mob of ponies who wanted her ticket to the Grand Galloping Gala. But he hadn't seen it since, he'd just assumed his Twilight had "borrowed" it as part of her disguise (and he certainly didn't remember a diaper as part of his disguise).

This Twilight seemed to notice the odd look Spike was giving the buggy, but she just smiled as she gently placed him into it and popped the light blue pacifier into his mouth again. "We're going to go to Sugarcube Corner for a playdate," She smiled at him. "And then we're going to stop at Rarity's to pick up your favorite blanket that you ripped a hole in."

"Don't forget about that picnic you're going to have with your friends," This Starlight reminded this Twilight. "If you need me to babysit him again, I'm more than happy to do it."

This Twilight only giggled in response to the offer. "We'll just have to see how my little Spikey Wikey is feeling about being around so many faces." And then she pushed the buggy out the front door of the castle.

Spike could only sigh and lean back against the pillow provided for him. At least the roof over his head kept the sun from shining down directly on him, so that was a blessing. Still didn't change the fact that he was in an actual buggy being paraded around like an actual baby. But maybe that would mean he could talk to the Cake Twins? Maybe they would know something was up?


The trip to Sugarcube Corner passed uneventfully for Spike, which was a relief to him because he knew he was going to hate all the obsessive and excessive coos and baby talk that would surely be directed at him when ponies saw him like this. He already was dreading how this Pinkie Pie and this Rarity would react to him, the latter especially since even if it wasn't his Rarity the idea of any version of her seeing him in such an infantile state would be humiliating beyond words.

At last, mare and dragon reached the familiar bakery with that cupcake-like roof. Quick as a flash, this Twilight floated her young charge out of the buggy and performed the customary diaper inspection.

Spike, for his part, could only take solace in the fact that this public inspection was void of other witnesses. It didn't stop his cheeks from flushing red with embarrassment though.

"All clean, for now," This Twilight motherly cooed as she lit up her horn, summoning a huge diaper bag that she slung over her left shoulder. "If you need anything though, just let me know. I made sure to come prepared, like a good mommy should."

All the little dragon could do was look down at the ground. Secretly, he hoped that the Pinkie Pie in this world/timeline/wherever he was wasn't around. At least he could feel confident in the Cakes not going too overboard with the cooing and the remarks, if only because they would already be doing it to their children and wouldn't have much to spare for Spike.

Alas, Spike's hopes and prayers were dashed when he heard a familiar bubbly voice shout out! "Twilight!" And soon enough, this Pinkie Pie came bouncing right over to reveal herself. She looked every bit the same as the Pinkie Pie Spike knew, nothing out of place with her.

"Hello, Pinkie Pie," This Twilight smiled and waved as she approached her cheerful, pink coated friend. "I hope it's okay if I came by a little early. Spike was being really fussy this morning, again."

This Pinkie only waved a hoof back. "Oh, don't be silly. You're never too early. You know how much Pound and Pumpkin Cake love playing with Spike. He's been their best friend since they were in diapers."

Spike's ears picked up on that little detail and he immediately began to dread what would happen when he met this version of the twins. They were sure to brag about their lack of need for diapers while he was still stuck in them, assuming he'd be able to understand them which was a big if.

"Well, potty training Spike is still a ways away," This Twilight declared as she moved to sit down. "Considering how much of a hoofful he's been now, I can only imagine how much harder he'll be when I start teaching him how to use a toilet."

"If you ever need any help, you're always free to ask me!" This Pinkie Pie chirped! "Since Pound and Pumpkin Cake started their training, I've been learning a lot just from how Mr. and Mrs. Cake do it."

This Twilight then inquired. "Speaking of Mr. and Mrs. Cake, where are they?"

This Pinkie only giggled and answered by booping Twilight's nose. "You silly filly. They're across town for a baker's conference, they told you that when you were setting up this playdate. We all agreed that I'm more than responsible enough to take care of another little one. And if anything does go wrong I've got you to help me put it right."

This Twilight seemed to blink in realization. "Sorry, I guess I've just been so busy between taking care of Spike and making sure Starlight's lessons come along smoothly. But I couldn't just turn her loose after all she'd done."

"Oh, it's no problem at all," This Pinkie sincerely smiled as she bounced over. "You just relax and unwind. After all, this playdate was your idea. And you know little Spikey Wikey here is in good hooves with his Auntie Pinkie Pie. Isn't that right, Spike?" She proceeded to pinch the little dragon's cheeks.

Spike tried to swat at this Pinkie with his little claws, but he couldn't even get close to where her hooves were.

This Pinkie thankfully soon ceased her pinching to scoop up Spike, carrying him away. "Aren't you excited to see your friends again? Pound and Pumpkin Cake have missed you so much since your last playdate!"


Just as Spike feared, this Pound and Pumpkin were not wearing diapers as he was brought over to a playpen near the kitchen and gently lowered into it.

"Play nice now," This Pinkie Pie instructed. "And if you need anything make sure to ask, that's what I'm here for."

Spike, for his part, just sat in his corner of the playpen and gazed off into the distance. He didn't want to look at this Pound and Pumpkin at all, he just knew they would mock him and tease him for still being in diapers.

Of course, this Pound and Pumpkin didn't seem to care that Spike was avoiding eye contact with them. They'd learned from their Auntie Pinkie Pie that whenever someone was being a grump, they had to work hard to try and cheer them up. Smiles were always so much better than frowns. This Pound spoke up first as he gently poked Spike's thick scales to try and get his attention. "Hewwo."

Spike refused to turn around or say anything.

This Pumpkin decided to speak up next, a bit more forcefully. "Hey, why you ignowing us? Ya Spike, ya awways pway with us."

"I'm not your Spike." Spike coldly grumbled but said nothing more.

This Pound just giggled. "What you mean 'Not ouw Spike'? Of couswe ya ouw Spike! Ya wook wike him, and ya weaw diapees wike him."

This Pumpkin then declared. "Ooh, ya pwaying pwetend, awen't ya?! Is okay, ya don't have to be mad. We onwy just stawt potty twaining a few weeks ago."

The little dragon just huffed. At least he knew that this Pound and Pumpkin Cake could understand him, but they too seemed to think there was nothing out of the ordinary about him. Not even in the way he spoke. "It's not because of that. I'm not playing anything. I'm being sincere. Somehow, everyone but me thinks I've always been this way but I know I haven't been. I haven't worn diapers in years."

"Nu-uh," This Pound protested with a shake of his head. "Ya been in diapees since befowe Pumpkin and I came out of Mommy's tummy. Aww the gwown-ups say so."

This Pumpkin happily nodded in agreement. "Yeah. They say ya been in diapees since Pwincess Twiwight hatch ya when she not much owder than us. She did it as pawt of some test to get into a schoow."

"So, parallel universe it is, then," Spike realized as he knew there was no way any sort of enchantment could be behind this. If it was, it would've affected him too, making even him believe what the twins had just told him. "Still doesn't explain how I got here or where the other Spike is." He thought to himself. But he couldn't think of any way to raise this subject with either foal, they'd just think he was being silly.

"Oh, ya wemembew now!" This Pound declared while clapping his hooves together in delight! "In fact, ya biwthday is just befowe ous. So evewy yeaw we have ouw biwthday pawties on the same day!"

And this Pumpkin chimed in. "Yeah! Too bad the next one isn't fow two mowe months. We awways get wots of pwesents on ouw biwthdays."

The little dragon couldn't help but feel a slight pang of jealousy upon hearing that. Even before a certain incident on his birthday, he'd only ever gotten one present from Twilight and it was always the same thing. He was lucky to ever get presents from anyone else. But apparently that wasn't a problem for this Spike that he'd abruptly replaced or somehow traded places with.

"Hey, cheew up," This Pumpkin remarked upon noticing the pronounced frown on Spike's face. "I bet ya gonna be in potty twaining too by the time of ouw next biwthday pawty. Then we can aww be potty paws!"

"Yeah!" This Pound smiled. "Potty twaining is wots of fun! And when ya get good at it ya don't have to weaw diapees anymowe! Ya fwee to do whatevew ya want!"

Spike just sighed. "I'm sure that's nice, but it's not up to me when I start anything. It all depends on what..." He paused and then reluctantly continued with. "Mommy thinks. If she doesn't think I'm ready then that's that." And not wanting to dwell on the subject any longer, he simply turned his attention to some of the toys scattered about the playpen.

The twins were happy to join in playing with Spike, they had no qualms sharing their toys with him and Spike was too afraid of what this Twilight might do to him as punishment to even think of misbehaving.


A ways into the playing, however, Spike and the twins became aware of a certain odor that was permeating their surroundings.

Spike froze in horror and realization! "No, it can't be!" He thought although he knew it was probably true. A smell like that the smell he was smelling could only be the result of one thing.

It seemed like this Pinkie Pie knew this too, for she came bouncing over and upon sniffing the air she immediately plugged her nose with her hooves. "Uh-oh, I think somedragon just made a stinky winky," She declared as she bent down to retrieve Spike from the playpen. "We'd better changie wangie your diaper wiaper right now a wow."

This Twilight happened to come trotting over at that moment, perhaps having overheard what this Pinkie had just said. It didn't seem like the stench bothered her at all, which seemed to confirm that what the twins had said earlier was true. "I can change him myself, Pinkie. He's my baby dragon after all."

But this Pinkie only shook her head. "It's alright, Twilight. You just relax, I can take care of this. I know it's been a while since I changed the twins, but I've helped you change Spike once or twice."

"Well, if you insist," This Twilight appeared to agree as she floated over the diaper bag. "Make sure to use plenty of powder, his scales are very sensitive."

This Pinkie gave a salute to her unicorn friend. "Will do, Twilight," And then she turned to Spike. "Come on. Let's get you changed and smelling nice again," Then she instructed to the Cake Twins. "You guys stay there. If you need something, ask Twilight. Auntie Pinkie Pie will be back real soon."

And indeed, this Pinkie Pie was true to her word. She bounced upstairs with Spike and soon had him placed upon the changing table in the twins' nursery, no doubt Mr. and Mrs. Cake had yet to renovate it. Quick as a flash, Spike felt his old diaper be removed and tossed into a waiting wastebasket. And almost before he realized it he was being wiped and powdered. This Pinkie was incredibly fast, the change had to have taken less than two minutes tops.

When this Pinkie was all done she dashed across the hall to the bathroom to wash her hooves, and dashed back before Spike even had a chance to try and get down from the changing table. "There we go, all better," She patted his head. "You're a little stinker, aren't you? Well that's okay, your Auntie Pinkie Pie loves you no matter how much of a stinker you are."

Spike could only groan and mentally curse under his breath. This was exactly what he'd been afraid of. Still, he was grateful for the swift diaper change. It was remarkable how it could've been faster than the practiced precision that the other Twilight had shown earlier in the same day. And he couldn't remember his actual hatchling days, so he had no way of knowing how much it rivaled his Twilight's mom or Cadence whenever they'd changed him.


Aside from the "accident" the playdate came and went with little fanfare for Spike. Eventually, however, it seemed that this Twilight decided the playdate should end. "We should probably head over to Rarity's now," She told Spike as she picked him up with her magic. "She's got to have finished repairing your favorite blanket by now. Maybe you'll sleep better with that," And then an idea struck her. "Ooh! Maybe I'll even get her to make you something to cover your diaper, I'll bet you'd look good with a cute little onesie."

Spike blushed anew at the thought of wearing something even more embarrassing and babyish than a diaper, especially something designed by Rarity (even if, again, it was not his Rarity). But he knew he was powerless to prevent such a thing from happening if indeed that's what this Twilight proposed and that Rarity agreed to make.

The trek across town to Carousel Boutique was considerably less relaxing for Spike, owing to the fact that by now so many ponies were out and about. And it felt like he couldn't go five miles without this Twilight stopping the buggy to let ponies look at him and fawn over how cute he was. So many recognizable faces that he was so used to seeing on his own on a day to day basis, even Big Macintosh with whom he was used to sharing a "secret" guys night with.

And yet that was nothing compared to how much this Rarity seemed to coo and fawn over Spike from the moment she saw him with those sparkling, sapphire blues. "Oh, little Spikey Wikey," She declared in an exaggerated tone upon greeting him and this Twilight at the front door of her boutique. "Always so nice to see you. You've been a good little dragon for your mommy, haven't you?"

Spike didn't say anything, he was far too embarrassed and was terrified of what he would sound like to this Rarity. He was already dreading what sort of fashion related "makeovers" he might be subjected to.

"Aw, are you being shy today?" This Rarity cooed upon noticing Spike shrinking from her gaze. "You don't need to be afraid, Spikey Wikey. You love spending time with me. Why, last time you were here you couldn't leave me alone for five minutes even thought Twilight was right there. Oh, you must've been so torn up about your special blankie."

This Twilight quickly coughed into a hoof, getting her fashion friend's attention. "That's kind of why we came over here, Rarity. I don't know what it is, but Spike has been fussier than normal today and I think it has something to do with him not having his favorite blanket to sleep with. I was hoping you'd have it fixed."

This Rarity happily nodded and ushered mare and dragon inside. "Of course it's fixed, darling. I haven't met a fashion emergency yet that I couldn't handle," She led them both upstairs to her workshop, which looked every bit like what Spike remembered his Rarity's workshop being like. It even had those horse stands used for display. And resting on one of them was a baby blanket the same color as Spike's pacifier. "Here it is, good as new!"

This Twilight happily accepted the object, floating it over to Spike with a smile. "You even washed it." She commented upon getting a whiff of the fresh scent it emitted.

This Rarity smiled back. "I was careful not to completely remove your scent from it, I just washed a few parts since I had some spare time," And then she told the little dragon. "You should take better care of your blankie, darling. It's been through so much already. It's not invincible."

Spike just accepted the blanket, hoping that this meant that this Twilight would take him back to the castle now.

However, this Twilight seemed to find it odd that Spike was not more enthusiastic about the blanket and stared at him in confusion and concern. "Spike, is something wrong?" She asked him while noticing the far off gaze he seemed to have. "Don't you like your blanket? Wasn't it nice of Rarity to fix and wash it for you so it's nice and clean?"

This Rarity just commented to this Twilight. "I've never seen him act like this, Twilight. Is he feeling okay?"

"I don't really know, Rarity," This Twilight answered with a frown. "He hasn't really been himself since he woke up this morning. He was particularly fussy when I changed his diaper, gave Starlight a hard time when she tried to feed him, and I caught him in one of the castle bathrooms."

It seemed like something came to that Rarity's mind given the gasp she let out! "Ooh, I think I might know what the problem is!" She excitedly declared. "Wait right here, darlings. I have something that Spike might be interested in. Oh, I hope I still have it."


The fashionista returned shortly with a slightly dusty and worn looking pink plastic bowl, gently plopping it down on the ground in front of her. "Here it is, Sweetie Belle's old training potty."

"Rarity, why do you still have something like that?" This Twilight questioned as she blinked her eyes in uncertainty.

This Rarity was quick to answer. "Well, let's just say that someponies were more than a bit laid back when it came to enforcing potty time for Sweetie Belle. I daresay, if not for me she might have been the only foal left in the entire world of Equestria who still wore diapers," And she added. "I kept meaning to donate it since it's still in good condition, just needs a bit of dusting and re-painting, but I never managed to find the time."

It didn't take long for this Twilight to put two and two together. "You think he's ready to start using a potty? I don't know, Rarity. He already woke up wet this morning and had an accident during his playdate with the twins."

This Rarity only cooed as she nudged the potty closer to Spike. "It can't hurt to let him try, darling. At least it'll give him an idea of what it's like," And she then encouraged. "Go on, Spikey Wikey. Why don't you try it out? Maybe you can show your mommy and I how big you're getting."

Spike, for his part, just stared at the plastic bowl. True, he didn't want to be stuck in diapers if he could help it. But at the same time he wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of using something meant for a toddler. He was used to using a toilet, an actual pony toilet. Plus, he really didn't like the idea of using a training potty in front of other ponies. Especially not this Rarity and Twilight. "Maybe if I could take off the top and put on a toilet seat, they'd realize I'm not their Spike?" He thought to himself.

The little dragon slowly moved towards the potty, trying to grasp at the top half of it with his little claws. At the least he could do that.

"Ah ah ah, Spikey Wikey," This Rarity scolded him as she quickly moved the plastic bowl a ways back. "That's not what the potty is meant for. You're supposed to sit on it."

This Twilight could only shake her head. "See? I told you he wasn't ready yet. And I don't think potty training has anything to do with his behavior. Something is not right with him."

This Rarity then suggested. "Well, you could always take him to see a doctor. That might be able to help you."

"I may just do that, Rarity," This Twilight agreed. "But thanks for the offer, and thanks for fixing his blanket. Maybe he'll feel better after he goes to sleep with it."

This Rarity only waved a hoof. "Oh, it was nothing," And then she looked down at Spike. "You let me know when you start being a big dragon, I have some fantastic outfits that'll make your potty training much easier."

All Spike could do was blush anew for the third time this day. He wasn't looking forward to any of that, and he sincerely hoped he could figure out how to get back to his universe before having to endure it. Come to think of it, he wondered what was happening to the other Spike right about now (assuming that he'd swapped places with said Spike, which he still had yet to figure out).

"Don't worry, we will," This Twilight happily declared before she brought Spike close to her once again. "Come on, Spikey Wikey. Let's go home and get you ready for your afternoon nap." And soon, mare and dragon were leaving Carousel Boutique and heading back to the castle.