• Published 23rd Apr 2021
  • 1,931 Views, 68 Comments

The Blind Sun - Dragonfire2lm



Hollow Knight Crossover. Grimm and Hearth travel to Canterlot to meet Equestria's newest princess.

  • ...
4
 68
 1,931

Father of the Discarded

As the day dragged on, Grimm flittered around room, occasionally glancing over at the closed wardrobe Hearth resided in. The former Kindler had encased herself in a cocoon of red magic, its hard exterior faintly pulsing with light that peaked through the crack of the slightly open wardrobe door.

He'd already received news from the ‘lings he’d sent to the Badlands Hive that they’d snuck in with ease. The changelings loyal to Chrysalis fell for the ruse so long as his Knights projected a sense of obedience and loyalty into the hivemind. From there, the Knights had found a series of small tunnels that ran to several key areas of the hive. The tunnels had been discretely marked with an image of an open flame. These tunnels had proved instrumental in smuggling out grubs and ‘lings out from the tyrant queen’s nose.

It appears Hearth had been busy during her time as Kindler. Grimm couldn’t be more proud of her.

But the king was also saddened at how long things had gone unnoticed, it was rare that a Queen went rogue for years without reprimand. It had once more reminded him that despite the vast amount of knowledge at his disposal, that even things could escape his notice. All that could be done was to rescue those they could until he could see to Chrysalis in person.

And he would once his business in Canterlot was concluded.

His thoughts were brought back to the present as his gaze settled on the afternoon sun streaming in from the window above the desk. The hour was growing late, and Hearth still had not emerged.

He would not leave her while she was this vulnerable. Despite her determination, her fate had hung in the air, he had seen what would have happened if he had not taken a detour to retrieve her.

And she was but one of many that suffered under Chrysalis rule.

No more he thought with a sigh. I will not be idle while this world crumbles around me. Ah, that reminds me, this visit will not be as pleasant as Celestia wishes it to be…

The presence of another in the room drew him from his musings. In the shadows in the corner of the room, a pair of glowing white orbs peaked out from the shadow cast by the desk. Grimm recognized the concerned mind brushing up against his.

“I did not pull you from your shell just to fret over me,” He pointed out. At another wave of worry, and agitation, Grimm properly sat up in his seat and patted the empty seat beside them. “Speak your mind my child, you know you are always free to.”

The reply was not a voice, yet it was still a form of telepathy, an image of words written in a stilted script.

It-

At Grimm’s expectant look, the being corrected themself.

I am worried. You have no power here.

“I have no power in most kingdoms,” Grimm replied smoothly. “it is the way of things.”

Yet you were invited…This worries It-me. The Sun could wish you ill will.

“Celestia has always been cordial, though she puts her subjects first, as do most benevolent rulers.” Grimm reassured them.

Yet the shadowy being was not convinced. It emerged from its hiding place, a shade of shadows with a pair of proud, three pronged horns. Its body a mess of tattered inky darkness, and a slender pair of arms, bug-like in appearance and ending in clawed hands. Even in their wraith-like state, the being was still double Grimm’s height, their head bowed to prevent their horns from scraping the ceiling.

The creature floated over and pointedly sat themselves down at Grimm’s side. They pointed a claw at him.

This land hangs on by your own thread, a golden age set to end in ten years’ time. Why try to salvage this kingdom when one ruler wishes to steal your power and the other too blinded by affection to see it?

“Hollow,” Grimm chided. “The future is not so set in stone, there is time to change things yet.”

Hollow crossed their arms, discontent rolling off them in waves.

Father, the ponies do not care for you, you have not stepped foot in Equestria since the fall of Everfree.

“All the more reason why I am eager to speak with Celestia, it has been an age since we have spoken,” Grimm said, warm smile fading as he looked over at the wardrobe once more. “Though I may have to reschedule that dinner…”

No, The Sun has all the power here, go appease her.

Hollow raised a hand and with a snap of their fingers, a gleaming white, nail-like blade was summoned into their lap.

I will watch over the Mothling. You have a performance to prepare for.

Grimm nodded, sighing. “You are right, I should not risk offense just to soothe my own worries,” Tension left his shoulders as his worries eased. His eldest child was more than capable of defending Hearth from harm. Though he knew it would not reach such extremes, the assurance was welcome. “How are your siblings? The White Lady is staying true to her word, yes?”

Grimm received a nod.

Yes, they are doing well. Petal would like to see the gardens of Canterlot, but they understand this meeting is important, even if they cannot grasp why.

Grimm hummed in thought. “I would request an extended stay in the city. It is a rare thing, to see a kingdom during the final years of an era,” he smirked, a spark of mischief in his glowing red gaze. “Yes, I’m sure Celestia wouldn’t object to allowing our little family a long overdue vacation…You last saw her when you were still but a child in the custody of The Pale King.”

Hollow tilted their head.

The others would like that…

Grimm’s smirk softened. “But not you?”

The shadowy bug looked to struggle with the finding the appropriate response.

No…No, save the spotlight for Ghost, It-I am done with being the centre of attention. My presence would only serve to unnerve The Sun, I think.

“So, there is nothing you would care to do in this grand city of wonder and opportunity?” Grimm asked and watched as Hollow stared at the floor in contemplation.

I would like to see the Hall of History… Stained glass has always been a sight to behold.

“I shall see what I can do, perhaps the notion of wanting to spend some time with my children will improve my chances of success?” Grimm suggested as he stood up. “After all, my warnings may be falling on deaf ears for all we know, or the end result is our little family being shunned by both Sun and Moon, though I certainly hope that will not be the case.”

There was a knock at the door. The moth straightened his cloak and glanced out of the window. The sky was beginning to darken, and Grimm rested a hand on Hollow’s shoulder. “Time grows short my child, wish me luck.”

Break a leg.


A different guard led Grimm to a dining room. The round table overlooked a large window from which a view of the city could be seen. Grimm politely took a seat, ignoring the wariness rolling off the guard in waves.

The sound of another set of hoof steps turned his attention to the doorway and The Princess of Equestria walked into the room.

Princess Celestia was a tall, white furred pony with both feathered wings and a long, spiralled horn. Her mane and tail were elegant wispy trials of moving sunlight and the mare’s purple eyes looked at Grimm with polite kindness.

The Princess was dressed in a sweeping sky-blue robe and a golden tiara that resembled the sun rising over the horizon. She walked over and took the seat opposite Grimm and smiled as staff wheeled in a silver trolley laden with plates of food.

Wine glasses were set before both Higher Beings as a servant dressed in a suit poured them both a glass.

Grimm politely took a sip of his drink.

“It’s good to see you after all this time Grimm,” Celestia said. “Thank you for coming all this way.”

Grimm dipped his head respectfully as a plate of salad was placed in front of him. “A summons to meet a potentially new Higher Being? How could I refuse?” Grimm replied cordially. “I take it your niece won’t be joining us tonight?”

“Cadance is spending some time with her special somepony, I thought it would be best to save introductions for tomorrow. I’ve heard one of your subjects was wounded recently.”

Grimm grimaced. “Indeed, my eldest child is looking after her at the moment.”

“Oh?” Celestia was intrigued. “I thought you swore off of having young.”

Grimm chuckled. “I have, my eldest and their three siblings were lost souls I’ve taken in as my own. Their fates were… cruel to say the least. I was hoping you would allow me to show them around the city. One of my youngest wishes to see the gardens, and my eldest rarely leaves the troupe.”

“And as busy as you are, you want to spend more time with your children,” Celestia surmised. “I know many of my ponies that express similar wants, and I would be honoured to accommodate you and your family.”

A lull in the conversation allowed Grimm to pick at his salad and observe the princess. As much as it warmed his heart to see her well, this was no simple social gathering.

“Celestia,” Grimm said after a moment. “You’ve done well in leading your subjects these past thousand years, but this era of peace is drawing to a close…”

“I know,” Celestia sighed, giving him a serious look. “But I do not need your assistance, I have a plan in place to deal with Nightmare Moon. My sister will be returned to me.”

“Oh? Care to enlighten me?” Grimm asked curiously.

His pleasant mood was starting to sour. He knew full well what Luna had tried to do all those years ago. Nightmare Moon was nothing more than mask, a falsehood The Sun crafted in her denial.

“My student is one of the most powerful unicorns I’ve seen since Starswirl the Bearded. I have no doubt that her power will be enough to awaken the dormant Elements of Harmony and free Luna from the dark magic that ensnares her.” Celestia explained.

“Tia…Luna is not ensorcelled by some dark power, she made her choice, and paid the price for it,” Grimm tried to explain gently. “And your reliance on mortal made magics will not work, there is nothing to cleanse.”

The stern look the princess gave him spoke volumes, “She was lost and confused! And your magic warped her, changed her in a way she should never be. If you had never given her that boon.

And there it was, the lingering hurt and anger from events long past. The jab at his power still stung, but the moth merely sipped at his wine. “I gave her the right to tend to the nightmares of her subjects, to try and give her a new purpose. If it were not for me, Luna would have tried to kill you instead.”

“My sister would never do such a thing,” Celestia insisted. “I know Twilight will succeed. I have time to teach her everything she needs to know.”

Grimm arched a brow at her. The Elements, powerful though they were, relied on strong bonds between the users. “And how do you plan on finding compatible ponies to awaken the Elements?”

“There will be no need, just as they called out to Luna and I a thousand years ago, so too will they call out to their new bearers.” Celestia explained.

Grimm reached out with his foresight, despite this new information, one outcome was still the most likely to occur. “A bond that strong cannot be formed overnight, and even then, your sister is not some corrupted monster.”

“Then what else is she? She would never act like this unless it was a reaction to your magic” Celestia demanded. “First, you fail your own sister, then the Crystal Empire, and now you offer empty promises when you’ve done nothing to prevent any of this from happening? Out of all of us, you should have been the one to step in and prevent these things from occurring.”

Grimm’s eye narrowed as his maw dipped into a frown. “I understand you were not present for the tragedy that befell Hallownest and The Crystal Empire until the very end. But I did what I could, I did more than I should have, given the circumstances,” he leaned back in his seat. He was known for his patience, little could stoke the fires of his fury, but reminders of the souls lost, the toll he paid to be where he was now… “Or perhaps the results of my aid have gone as unnoticed as those of your sister. After all, I have not seen, nor heard any reference to her outside of some childhood tale made in your honour and an autumn holiday…”

“What results?” Celestia asked. “The Radiance is sealed away thanks to The Wyrm’s efforts, The Crystal Empire has vanished from existence and my sister is imprisoned in the moon. I have spent the last thousand years tending to my duties and my subjects. Not meddling in affairs outside of my domain!”

“Everything ends Celestia,” Grimm said gently. He needed to salvage the conversation without dragging his children into this, no matter how eager he was to prove the alicorn wrong, he would abide by Hollow’s wishes to remain outside of her knowledge. “I merely want to ensure that the ending we get is best possible outcome.”

“And I assure you, my plan is sound.” Celestia said sternly.

He could sense Hollow poking him mentally in concern, the former vessel having no doubt sensed his carefully hidden disappointment and anger towards the princess. He sent back reassurance for he would not pressure his eldest to face something they were not ready for.

Hollow was unconvinced but returned their attention to guarding Hearth, sending him their own reassurance that the former kindler was still asleep and unharmed.

“Grimm, are you listening?”

He blinked. “My apologies, Princess, my eldest was just checking up on me, they worry about me, never truly settled until I return to the troupe safe and sound.”

At that, Celestia smiled. “They sound adorable.”

“Though fully grown, they are more sensitive than their siblings. A joy to see given the state I found them in,” Grimm said and waved a hand idly. “But back to the matter at hand, if you refuse my aid, then might I suggest an addition to your plan, on the off chance your student fails?”

“And what would that be?”

“Allow your student to spend some time with me, to learn about my duties and what it will mean for Equestria when the time comes,” Grimm suggested. “Should she succeed in ten years time, I can aid in helping your sister adjust to the changes in society that have come about since her absence. If your student fails, I will welcome her into my troupe and ensure her safety.”

“And you will remain silent about the plan?” Celestia asked. “I’ve kept Twilight in the dark about all of this…after what happened with Sunset, I thought it would be for the best that she finds the answers herself.”

“...You are risking the future of your entire kingdom on the whims of one soul, a dangerous game, Princess,” Grimm warned and sighed. “But it is clear my warnings will not be heeded. I do hope there are no hard feelings?”

Celestia’s expression turned sharp. “So long as you keep your magic to yourself, and stay out of Equestria’s affairs, then we won’t have an issue,” Her hard look melted into something motherly. “Though there may still be a rift between us, I will not hinder you, nor your desire to spend time with your children. You are free to wander the city with them while you are here… and I will think on your offer to mentor my student.”

The meal continued in tense silence. Grimm reached out to Hollow.

Would you like me to bring you anything?

Hollow’s response was hesitant but tinged in excitement.

Cake?

A splendid idea. And tell your siblings they may follow you here if they so wish, The Princess has given us permission to stay for a time.

Hollow replied immediately.

Father, Ghost is insisting on fighting the princess. They want to Challenge The Sun. What happened?

We came to an... agreement…Ghost is already on their way here, aren’t they?

Yes, though they are bringing Petal with them.

Do tell Ghost that they are not to, and I quote, “challenge the sun”. I have no desire to see what little respect The Sun has for me be destroyed because one of my children took offense.

The short exchange that Grimm was privy to was rather humorous, causing Grimm to smirk as he ate.

Sibling, no. Father said- You cannot fight The Sun because father said so. Your status as a Higher Being does not concern It. It has relayed the message per father’s wishes.

It is still older than you by several minutes, so please do as It asks. Maybe It will spar with you if you behave.


A quick visit to the kitchen after dinner had resulted in Grimm snagging a beautifully decorated carrot cake topped with dried raspberries. He returned to his room, cake held in one hand, and scooped up the little bug that attempted to dash past him.

No larger than a pony foal, they had stubby black limbs, and their head was a white mask like shell with two thin horns that curved upwards, ending in two small prongs. The bug struggled in his hold for a moment, the tattered grey cloak that grew from beneath their mask twisting around them from their squirming.

Grimm passed the cake over to Hollow and with his other hand freed, cradled the child in his arms to his chest, plucking a blade shaped nail from their grasp.

Empty black sockets stared at him as the little one crossed their arms in an obvious display of frustration.

“Ghost,” Grimm chided. “You are not to go running off while you are here,” he turned his gaze over to Hollow and another small bug peeking out from behind his eldest’s shadowy form. Hollow had given themself a pair a legs and longer cloak to stabilize themself while the smaller bug clung to them. Grimm nodded at his other two children. “The same goes for the two of you. Welcome we may be, but that does not mean it is safe for the likes us.”

The child staying close to Hollow was slightly smaller than Ghost, their cloak a vibrant red, and they had two sets of short horns on each side of their mask that curled up slightly. The smaller bug walked over and looked up at Grimm, their head tilted to one side.

Their telepathic script was messy, the unpractised scrawl of a young mind.

father? can I have some cake?

“Only a small piece, I want to save some for Hearth.” He replied.

The young bug looked over at the wardrobe.

hollow said she was really hurt.

Ghost’s annoyance had faded into quiet reluctance, Grimm set them down. He nodded at his youngest as Ghost hopped up onto a vacant seat and the sound of them rustling through something in their cloak filled the room.

“She was, but she will be fine,” he reassured the smallest of his children. “I have some good news Petal, Celestia has given us permission to visit the gardens.”

The excitement he felt from Petal brought a smile to his face as Hollow tapped the edge of the desk to get their attention. The eldest sibling had a glowing white knife in hand, the cake rested on the desk, cut up into several pieces. Petal happily scurried over to receive their share while Grimm took a seat next to Ghost.

The moth rested a hand on Ghost’s back, prompting their silent gaze to turn to him.

“I understand your frustrations, I too wish Celestia would see reason,” Grimm said. “But you cannot rush in and solve everything yourself my child. We Higher Beings influence more than our individual remains. Our powers affect countless innocent lives, it may be many years until such consequences are seen, but nothing happens in a vacuum.”

Look at us, sibling. Hollow chimed in. We are children of Root, Wyrm, and Void. No voice to cry suffering, yet our cries were still heard.

Ghost nodded, calming down as Hollow walked over to hand Grimm his own slice of cake. Grimm smiled, set Ghost’s weapon aside, and broke the piece in half.

He held the larger piece out to Ghost. “There are other avenues we can take, please do not act rashly while we are here Ghost, I want us all to have a grand time.”

Ghost nodded, accepting the offered cake, and nibbling at it. Their telepathy was much quieter than their siblings, writing faint against a backdrop of darkness.

…Sorry father.

Certain that the lesson had been learned, Grimm patted Ghost’s head. “Not everything can be solved by beating it into submission,” he looked around the room, there was no sign of the last of his adopted children. “Did Javelin choose to remain in Hallownest?”

Hollow nodded.

Hornet has agreed to train them, Herrah was pleased to let her do so.

Grimm smirked. “The Beast so does love to entertain you four, How fares young Hornet?”

Hollow perked up, a quiet joy leaking into their telepathy as they shared the adventures they and their sister had gotten caught up in during their last visit to Hallownest.

Ghost would softly correct them when in excitement, they would attempt to add more flair to the tale, much in the way Grimm would during his stage performances with the troupe.

Hours passed, the four of them swapping stories and talking late into the night.

In the early hours of the next morning, as the sun began to rise, a loud crack sounded from the wardrobe.

Hearth was waking up.

Author's Note:

Now, I was going include Hearth actually waking up, her new form and whatnot. But by the time I got to this point, the chapter was getting a bit long, and it actually took me a bit longer than I would have liked to get it done. So, this was a good stopping point. expect a return to Hearth's POV next chapter.

Petal is the dead vessel found in Greenpath in the first Hornet fight area.

Javelin is Broken Vessel/Lost Kin.

And yes, I'm going to delve more into Ghost and the whole Higher Being thing in a different fic.

Edit: Forgot a detail, edited a line to reflect a last minute change (I had no idea if Broken Vessel was going to be an artist or a fighter, I eventually settled on fighter and forgot to change things to reflect that, lol), and I keep skipping words when writing... Don't just love the last minute scramble to fix typos after posting...