• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 3,195 Views, 343 Comments

Starlit Knights - BlackRoseRaven



Darkness has come to Equestria, and the world is threatened with destruction. Can Luna stop it?

  • ...
6
 343
 3,195

Luna's Library

Chapter Twenty One: Luna’s Library
~BlackRoseRaven

Scrivener was surprised when they reached the other side of the bridge – and likely in record time, despite how long the bridge was, as well as the fact that a fierce, bitter windstorm had kicked up halfway across the stone pass that had ended only half an hour ago – and Nightmare Moon was still in obvious control of Luna. Usually, she appeared, then gradually faded… but either Luna really was exhausted, or Nightmare Moon was being more tenacious than usual, more eager to get her time ‘out in the world,’ as she phrased it.

He was even more surprised when the winged unicorn smiled, then had announced in a booming, carrying voice that they would be stopping for a short break and a quick meal once they found a suitable place to pull over. Usually Nightmare Moon was less than understanding of the needs of other ponies, even when she tried to be compassionate. All the same, however, they still ended up marching for almost half an hour even after passing off the bridge: this side of the Northedge Strait was not only powdered in snow and armored in frost, the land had a wilder, almost-alien look to it, trees growing in tight clusters on the other side of brightly-gleaming metal posts that marked the road ahead.

The first chance they had to turn off was onto a side road that looked long undisturbed, and as they pulled onto this, a cluster of exhausted-looking ponies slowly wandered down the main road from the north. They barely seemed to notice the travelers, even as Nightmare Moon strode towards them curiously… and a plodding earth pony wrapped in a heavy jacket looked up at her tiredly before he sighed and called the others to a halt, asking tiredly: “What is it?”

“You seem to be fleeing something… something that has stolen your emotions as well as your livelihood.” Nightmare Moon tilted her head, starry mane swirling behind her as she asked curiously: “What lays ahead?”

“A burnt-out wreck of a village, and past that, who cares? We were attacked by… things… several nights ago. We’re the last cluster of survivors… we don’t want any trouble, and after what we’ve seen… stories about Nightmare Moon and Champions of Equestria, whether they come in declarations or letters or by messenger, it doesn’t matter. Even if every story about you is true, why would you bother to save us? And even if you kill us or torture us, I’d only welcome it.” the earth pony replied bitterly, shaking his head slowly, trails of frozen tears gleaming on his cheeks beside patches of frostbite. “I’d rather be dead than like those things.”

Nightmare Moon smiled, leaning forwards before she reached a hoof up and gently settled it against the male’s forehead, and the earth pony frowned as she lowered her head and murmured soft, alien words under her breath. Her horn gave a quiet hum, and the earth pony grimaced, then staggered backwards as his features flushed, frostbite fading and tears melting on his cheeks as he looked up at her silently and she gazed back, saying kindly: “Go, children. To safety. To Canterlot and beyond.”

“Yes, yes…” the earth pony murmured, and his companions frowned as he turned and began to creakily stride forwards before shaking his head, pace limbering out after a few moments, seeming to find new strength as Scrivener Blooms looked meditatively after the others.

“Sister’s blessings are only words and hidden elements. I prefer the blessing of the moon to impart a little something onto my new subjects… it is not so cruel, is it, dearest husband? You worry, but they suffer no manipulation… the pony is merely refreshed, and he will remember me and be thankful for it.” Nightmare Moon said kindly, and then she turned and added calmly: “But come, let us visit Scarlet Sage. The wagons are off the road, the clouds are listless but the wind is gone, the other ponies are eating. I wish to visit my foal.”

“Be nice.” Scrivy glanced towards her, and Nightmare Moon only smiled cryptically back at him as she half-lidded her eyes.

“Oh, do not worry. I intend to impart great kindness on her.” she said softly, and Scrivener grimaced a little, but nodded slowly and followed her silently towards the golden wagon, at the back of which Aleksandr was sitting and talking calmly with Pinkamena and Rainbow Dash, seeming to act a little like a buffer between the two usually-at-odds ponies.

The minotaur glanced up as they approached, and he eyed them thoughtfully as Nightmare Moon gazed back with entertainment, and Scrivener shrugged awkwardly… and then the bull grunted and said quietly: “In legend, is two sides to Yaga Baba too. Is not always good… is also known for being wicked witch to those who cross her.”

“Then do not cross me, Aleksandr, for I enjoy your company.” Nightmare Moon replied kindly, and the minotaur nodded with another grunt as the winged unicorn turned towards the steps leading up into the wagon, flicking her horn to open the door for herself and Scrivy, then closing it behind him with a tender smile.

Scarlet Sage glanced up from where she was curled up on some soft bedding at one corner of the room, supply crates securely chained to the wall behind her, smiling hesitantly as Fluttershy and Rarity both looked up towards the two. Fluttershy stepped worriedly forwards, wincing a little but meeting Nightmare Moon’s eyes all the same as she said quietly: “Are you sure this is the right time for this? I don’t want to… to get in the way, but…”

“Fluttershy, when ponies get between me and those I care for, they are already dead before they have time to speak.” Nightmare Moon replied in a tender voice, and the Pegasus winced a little before the winged unicorn stepped forwards and gently stroked under her chin. “I do not hold it against you, worry not. You fear for her for good reason… you care about my precious little girl, and there is no more suitable mare for that job. But Scarlet Sage must be exposed again to what her powers can do, and I have an interesting but safe little adventure for her to go on. Now, you and Rarity should leave. Eat something, find Twilight, relax with friends. And then you may stay with Scarlet Sage when we continue towards Snow Saddle.”

Fluttershy hesitated, but then nodded slowly, and Rarity gave a supportive smile before she said quietly: “You haven’t been eating much, Fluttershy, a meal sounds like a good idea… and afterwards, maybe you can help Cowlick and I with those dreadful repairs she keeps going on about. It’s funny how she thinks I must be an engineer like her now, all because I happen to be as good with stitching uniforms as I am with decoration.”

The Pegasus nodded awkwardly, giving Nightmare Moon one last apprehensive look, and then she and Rarity quietly excused themselves and made their way out of the back of the magically-enlarged wagon. Nightmare Moon glanced over her shoulder, then she strode towards the filly, gently embracing her without speaking, then half-curling around her on the bedding, looking both serpentine and protective as Scrivener sat quietly across from them.

There was silence for a few moments, and then Nightmare Moon smiled, saying tenderly as she glanced up towards the male: “Curl up closer, Scrivener Blooms. I know you’re worried about little Luna… so I’ll take you to see her, to help her understand these memories. Memories that are like dreams, a thousand passing in a fleeting moment… memories that are rising more and more. And you shall help too, Scarlet Sage… but you’ll need to do something first. You know what that is, don’t you?”

Scarlet Sage winced a little even as Scrivy slid forwards and then carefully curled his body up against the other side of the filly, resting his head down so he could gaze at the foal quietly over his glasses. “I need to… touch your blood, right?”

“No, for this, you’ll need just a sip of my blood, of Luna’s blood. An art through which you may link yourself to another for a short period… for in the blood resides our energy, our soul, our destiny.” Nightmare Moon explained in a soft, gentle voice, and Scarlet Sage shivered a little before she glanced silently up as the dark equine asked kindly: “Don’t you want to help little Luna? Don’t you want to explore these powers?”

“Nightmare Moon…” Scrivener began quietly, and the darkness-kissed winged unicorn gave him what was almost a hurt look at his tones and tangible-to-her thoughts, although there was still a certain coyness about her features.

But Scarlet Sage only shook her head, whispering: “Will… will Uncle Scrivy be coming too? You said he was coming too or… I think you did.”

“Yes, he will. To the sanctum of memories inside Luna’s mind… to her Valkyrie soul, which she has gone so long without recognizing.” Nightmare Moon replied kindly, and Scrivy gazed quietly down at Scarlet Sage as the filly closed her eyes. “You will all learn much, I promise. Come now. Sip.”

Nightmare Moon lowered her horn as she rose a foreleg, slicing a thin slash through her limb and making Scrivy wince a bit, then grimace as she held it up… and Scarlet Sage trembled for a moment before the filly slowly leaned forwards, grimacing in disgust and yet forcing herself to lap up the blood from the wound before she coughed and leaned away, a shudder passing through her system as Nightmare Moon said lovingly, her horn glowing dark blue: “My obedient little girl… excellent.”

Scarlet Sage moaned and writhed, leaning forwards, Scrivy feeling her body heating up unnaturally, her eyes glowing bright crimson as pain spread over her features, gasping in shock as she flexed and tensed… and then Scrivener’s own eyes clenched shut as vertigo ripped at his senses, seeing Nightmare Moon’s eager eyes in his mind before darkness surrounded him, and all he heard was delighted laughter…

He felt himself awkwardly land on his hooves, cursing under his breath as his forelimbs shuddered beneath him before he opened his eyes… and looked blankly back and forth as he realized he was in some monolithic, gray stone room. Moonlight shone in through stretched rectangular windows, and the world was a little uneven, a little distorted, as he gazed back and forth… then his eyes locked on the sight of Scarlet Sage’s sprawled body, and he rushed towards her through the shadowy hall, skidding to a halt beside her and shaking her gently as he asked worriedly: “Are you alright? Scarlet Sage?”

The filly moaned weakly… then she shook her head with a shiver, her mane spilling over her face before Scrivy gently brushed this back and looked down at her softly… and she gazed blearily back up with her crimson irises, murmuring faintly: “You and Luna never told me you… really did think of me as your daughter, I never thought Luna really meant it when… that’s why I always called you Aunty and Uncle… I thought… it would be too weird if… I mean…”

She quieted, then shook her head quickly, blinking a few times as if she hadn’t even realized she’d been speaking before she looked back and forth, asking slowly: “Wait, where… are we? Where is this place?”

“Luna’s mind… I think. I hope. This is either Luna or Nightmare Moon… either way, we’d better stay close together and you had probably… well… if I tell you to close your eyes, don’t peek.” Scrivy grimaced a little, and Scarlet Sage smiled faintly up at him despite herself as he wrapped a foreleg around her, steadying her as she climbed to her hooves. “Are you sure you’re alright? This is weird even for me, and I’m used to this kind of thing by now. And you… well…”

“I can still taste it. It’s pretty yucky.” Scarlet Sage grimaced and shook her head, then she reached up and touched Scrivy’s shoulder gently, frowning a little as she said softly: “It feels so real…”

“If it’s real to your mind, it can be just as real to your body. Still… these are just memories, I hope. They shouldn’t be able to hurt us.” Scrivy said quietly, and then he glanced up before his eyes settled on a tall set of oak double doors, engraved with three symbols he recognized all too well: sun, moon, and ash tree. “Either way… we have to move forwards.”

“Okay, Scrivy.” Scarlet Sage said softly, and Scrivener offered her a smile over his shoulder before he turned forwards, walking quietly towards the doors and carefully pushing them open… and frowning a bit in surprise at what he saw on the other side.

It led into an immense, messy library, rows upon rows of shelves filled with books of all shape and size, and several large tomes rested over the ground along with parchment, stacks of paper, and other odds and ends, adding to the sense of jumbled chaos… before Scrivener looked up in surprise as Luna stormed out from between two shelves, a stack of books floating next to her before she glanced irritably to the side… and gaped at the sight of Scarlet Sage and Scrivener Blooms. “What manner of devilry is this?”

“I could ask the same thing.” Scrivener said mildly, walking forwards as Scarlet Sage smiled warmly and broke into a run, heading quickly towards the winged unicorn… and Luna laughed, her eyes brightening as she realized it wasn’t some trick of her own mind, tossing the books aside and stepping forwards to catch Scarlet Sage in a fierce embrace, the black pearl necklace the only adornment on body as she covered the filly’s faces with kisses and made her laugh.

Then she straightened and grinned, sharing a fierce hug with Scrivener Blooms, burying her face against the side of his neck… and then both of them looked up as Nightmare Moon’s voice echoed down around them easily: “I have brought your companions to see that as I have been saying… you are fine. But also, because with Scrivener Blooms present, your mind works faster, your concentration is sharper… and Scarlet Sage must learn about her powers. Give her the memories you have of Blood Seers… show her what they are capable of.”

“Wretched creature!” Luna shouted, half-pulling away from Scrivy as she glared upwards… and Scrivy and Scarlet Sage followed her gaze with surprise to see Nightmare Moon leaning over a high walkway that went around the top of the wide room, the black equine gazing down at them with adoration despite Luna’s outburst. “Tell me what thou knows, what is hidden here amidst this miserable mess of madness! I have found so little over what feels to me like years and years of searching… if anything, the fragments of memory feel worse in my mind than they did before, like barbs and shrapnel buried in my muscles!”

“That is your problem, Luna, you think with your muscles, not with your brain, even when it comes to problems like these.” Nightmare Moon chastened, but her voice was still kind, despite the hint of teasing to it that made Luna glare in frustration. “Besides, we know that when I tell you things, you rarely listen. You always need to know and find out things for yourself… the memories are here, Luna. You would have found them by now if you were trying… and didn’t spend so much time looking at memories you already know well.”

Luna blushed and grumbled a little at this, and Nightmare Moon smiled down at them before she flicked her horn, a book floating silently out of one of the shelves next to her, gently sailing down through the air to the three ponies before it opened… and light shone up from its pages, forming into a transparent, hovering image of Celestia’s upper body as the ivory equine spoke kindly, radiant rainbow mane flowing around her “-honor to pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride.”

The images swam… and Luna hurriedly reached forwards and closed the book, clearing her throat as Scarlet Sage smiled up at her. “’Tis. Was just a memory I was searching for, but… demonstrates the idea. Nightmare Moon, I do not suppose…” She glanced up, and then grimaced at the sight of nothing above, muttering: “Oh wonderful, the creature is already gone. Either back to the surface or to wherever her dark abode in my soul is, I know and care not.”

Scrivener Blooms and Scarlet Sage looked towards Luna as the winged unicorn fidgeted embarrassedly for a moment before she smiled a little, saying quietly as she stroked the leather front of the book: “These all contain memories. Opened, they reveal a fragment… read, they reveal an entire story, at least to my mind, and like-as-not to thine as well, daydreamer. Scarlet Sage, I know not what effect they may have upon thee, but if thou art here in my mind, thou art… connected, by link forged in blood and backed through Nightmare Moon’s magic, then ‘tis likely as not you will experience the same. I have… I have discovered several memories so far. I know what we look for, ancient, black, and heavy tomes amidst the rest of these.”

Luna leaned back and rapped firmly against one of the shelves, looking distasteful, and when Scrivener turned he realized there was indeed some kind of strange, alien color-coding to them. Blues and greens, bound here in hide, there in leather, another that looked like badly-sewn-together paper… and then he glanced down at the parchment that littered the floor, carefully picking some of these ragged sheets up, and as he read it, snippets of memory flashed in front of his eyes: whispers of small details, words once spoken, archived thoughts. He smiled despite himself, then glanced up as Luna looked at him curiously before he said mildly: “Funny, your memories being organized like this. I would have expected it from Twilight Sparkle. With you, I expected more something like… a giant hall of weapons or something. Or magic arrows of memory.”

“Silence, Scrivener Blooms. I blame all this upon thee and thine influence upon me.” Luna grumbled, looking moodily at him as behind her, Scarlet Sage curiously pulled a white tome out of the bottom of a shelf, and the winged unicorn frowned as Scrivener looked pointedly past her before she winced and turned around: “Wait, Scarlet Sage, do not-”

The filly had already opened the book, however, looking down at it curiously… and then she winced back in surprise, Luna stepping forwards and closing the book as she cleared her throat awkwardly. “The white tomes are memories of Celestia. This means most of them are either very good or very bad.”

“I really wish I didn’t understand those words you said to her, but I did.” Scarlet Sage said finally, and Luna grinned lamely down at the filly with a bit of a blush before the filly winced and looked hesitantly over the books. “What… should I read, then?”

“Oh, there is organization, worry not. Green tomes are tomes on nature, blue upon thought and philosophy, and quip not at me Scrivener Blooms or I shall brain thee with one of these shelves.” Luna shot him a glare, and Scrivy quickly glanced away, clearing his throat. “Purple is Twilight Sparkle, which I shall also ask thee to refrain from reading, as thou shall not read pink, gray, gold, black, white or red tomes… and nor shall thou read any tome with more than one color, or any tome marked with hearts or skulls or feathers.”

“What does that even leave in the library?” Scarlet Sage asked incredulously, and Scrivener looked flatly at Luna’s back. “And aren’t we supposed to look for the black tomes?”

“Aye, you may seek them, but not read them.” Luna said stiffly, and then she sighed a little, leaning down and saying in a quieter voice: “Listen to me, Scarlet Sage, foal who is like a daughter to me. This is no mere library, whatever the image… this is my mind. My memories… it is personal to me. I am putting greater trust in thee than I could ever put in myself to allow thee to wander it… and I love thee, dearly, and deeply, and greatly. I wish… I do not wish to ruin thy innocence, or worse, thy images of me and others. I do not wish to further poison thee than… I may already have, force thee to grow up even faster than the fact that thou art a Blood Seer… will force thee to.”

She stopped, then straightened and looked quietly down at the Pegasus. “But I do love thee and trust thee, which is why thou art free to read the blue, green, and brown tomes, as long as they are not marked as I have already stated. And why I will… appreciate thy help in finding the black tomes… which thou shalt not read, thou shall instead bring to me, understood? Not the pitch-black tomes, the very large, very old black tomes… they… here, like this.”

Luna gestured for them to follow, and Scarlet Sage and Scrivener Blooms both did so, walking down the aisle and turning into an open area towards a table already stacked with heavy, ancient black books, Scrivy whistling a little to himself as Scarlet Sage stared at the thirty or so looming tomes. They looked like weathered dragon scale, metallic studs down the spine, ancient runes over the fronts… and Luna grimaced a little before she sighed and picked up a nearby open tome with telekinesis as her horn glowed blue, saying moodily: “But… I suppose this one is sane enough for thou to look at and understand.”

It floated over to Scarlet Sage, who eagerly leaned forwards as Scrivener felt memories of what that book had revealed twisting through his mind only gazing upon it… and then, although the images were strange – a golden throne, an altar, a massive, beautiful hall of stone – the voice that spoke in memory and mind was clear, weathered and bold as it said kindly: Brynhild, to be a Valkyrie, you must be beautiful and dangerous. And apart from Freya, I’ve never met a Valkyrie who exemplified these qualities more than you.

More scattered memories surfaced… but they were less-crisp, less-clear, and Scarlet Sage looked quietly up, saying softly: “I heard an old stallion’s voice…”

“Aye, then thou art able to pick up the same sensations. Which is good and bad, in a library like this… but run along, Scarlet Sage. Nightmare Moon has hinted there is a book of memories here that will bring all these others together, and I wish to be free of this indeterminable purgatory as soon as possible.” Luna said quietly, and Scarlet Sage nodded with a hesitant smile before the winged unicorn leaned forwards, adding firmly: “And remember. Let not myself or Scrivener Blooms catch thee attempting to read into my other memories. Or I shall be forced to roundly eject thee from my mind or at least lock thee in some little room I am sure exists around here. Thou art not yet such a talented Blood Seer that thou can trouble me greatly in mine own head, after all.”

Scarlet Sage mumbled and blushed a little, but she nodded and then glanced up, asking quietly: “What if I find a tome? Do I bring it back here?”

“Aye, or call myself or Scrivener Blooms. We shall split in three directions, as I have covered the greater part of this library… and Scrivener, I shall pummel thee if thou also goes snooping into memories at this juncture.” Luna added threateningly, and Scrivy winced and leaned back a bit. “Find the memories of Brynhild, of Valhalla, and gather them. And look for the master key… I have a feeling it shall be easy enough to tell apart from the rest.”

The two nodded, and Luna hesitated only a moment before she ducked down and kissed Scarlet Sage’s cheek, then slipped across to Scrivy and met him in another short, gentle kiss for a moment before she pulled back and smiled slightly, flapping her wings and leaping up into the air to fly to the second floor walkways, as she called easily: “And by the way, beware the library… the shelves seem to have the wicked habit of changing contents and positions!”

As she said this, the shelves around them moved, the books in them trembling violently before they all turned different colors as both the Pegasus filly and the earth pony winced, Luna laughing despite the obvious setback, and Scrivy sighed and dropped his head forwards, saying moodily: “I can’t believe part of her is enjoying this. Scarlet Sage, maybe we should… Scarlet Sage?”

But the filly was already gone… and Scrivy groaned before he walked over to a shelf and headbutted it, before looking moodily back and forth… but although there were one or two black books, none of them looked like the ancient tomes they were looking for. He wondered moodily what the point of this exercise was, and why Luna’s mind was such a chaotic, disordered mess as he looked back and forth, then muttered: “I could use a card catalog.”

Then he winced as there was a loud clack behind him, turning around… and staring in dumb surprise to see a large furnishing now standing across from him, a checkerboard of tiny drawers across it. For a few moments, Scrivener wondered dumbly where this had come from… and then he frowned slightly as he strode towards it, leaning forwards and asking hesitantly: “I don’t suppose you could just tell me the location of the master memory key, right?”

Immediately, one of the top drawers shot open and smacked into the earth pony’s nose, knocking him flat on his back as his glasses flew from his face and he grabbed at his throbbing muzzle, and then he glared upwards as Luna leaned over the railing above and laughed loudly, calling gleefully down to him: “Well done, Scrivener Blooms!”

“Oh, shut up, Luna.” Scrivy grumbled under his breath as he rolled over, grabbing at his glasses before he looked up, opening his mouth to call out to the winged unicorn… but she was already leaving, still laughing, and the now-sulky earth pony didn’t feel like trying to snag her attention again until he had tested a theory beginning to bubble in his mind. Then he looked up as a single card ejected itself from the drawer, floating through the air and slowly sailing down in front of him, the earth pony catching this… and then wincing as the card catalog snapped shut before the male read the card and murmured: “Section B, Aisle G, Shelf 17.”

The male nodded, memorizing this before he put the card carefully on top of the catalog shelf, then he checked awkwardly around for plates and signs. When he failed to find any, he grimaced, then muttered: “Okay, let’s try this again. Where is Section B?”

Nothing seemed to happen… but when Scrivy grumbled and turned around, he saw a newly-inscribed golden plate now screwed into the side of the shelf with ‘SECTION B’ written over it and an arrow pointing down a hall of shelves. He smiled at this, then made his way forwards, wondering curiously if Luna hadn’t realized that she might be able to simply control this library of her own mind with orders… or if maybe the only reason it was working now was because they were both here. Both sides of the mixed mind and soul that made them up… and Scrivener mused on this, but resisted from broadcasting the mental thought to Luna on impish impulse.

He glanced down an aisle, then tilted his head curiously as he saw Scarlet Sage reading eagerly into a tome, the male pausing to step towards her and ask: “What’d you find?”

“What? Oh, Scrivy!” Scarlet Sage looked up at him awkwardly, and when Scrivener gave her a flat look, she fidgeted a bit, then said awkwardly: “But… look!”

She tilted the book back so the cover was visible, and Scrivener softened: the book was gold, but the embossed image on the cover was clearly that of Scarlet Sage, the Pegasus blushing as she said quietly: “It just… fell out in front of me. I know what Luna said but… it felt like…”

She halted, and Scrivener sighed a little before he smiled a bit and reached a hoof forwards, stroking through her mane gently. “Yes, and were the situations reversed, I know that Luna would probably be looking at all kinds of memories she shouldn’t. That’s why she said ‘don’t get caught’ instead of ‘don’t read anything else…’ she expects you to be responsible in… in a very irresponsible way. So… put that book away, and then… don’t get caught.” He paused, then grimaced a little, rubbing at his own face slowly. “Huh. Luna and I are awful parents.”

“I don’t think so.” Scarlet Sage smiled after a moment, and then she closed the book and blushed a bit as she looked at him. “Don’t tell her, okay?”

“Oh, Luna probably already knows. We just aren’t supposed to act like we know she knows we know she knows.” Scrivener replied mildly, and when the filly looked up at him with confusion, he cleared his throat and said pointedly: “Go back to looking for books, now. The right books.”

“Okay, Scrivy.” Scarlet Sage smiled up at him, and Scrivener smiled back, watching her turn and leave before he shook his head and turned himself… and walked straight into another shelf, grunting and stumbling backwards before a large charcoal tome fell out of the top, smacking painfully into his skull and knocking him backwards with a wince before it collapsed to the ground in front of him and spilled open.

Scrivener Blooms cursed under his breath, opening his eyes… and then wincing back as the transparent head of a unicorn glared at him before shouting: “Wipe that look off your face, you have no idea how lucky you are!”

Scrivy reached forwards and quickly slammed the book closed, grimacing at the embossed black roses over the front of the charcoal-textured tome… and then he closed his eyes and shook his head slowly as the shelf in front of him slowly slid to the side like a doorway, and he stepped carefully over the tome as he murmured: “So that’s why.”

“Scrivy?” called a concerned voice, and Scrivener glanced to the side with a small smile as he saw Luna hurrying towards him, the winged unicorn asking quickly: “What happened? I heard a thing I did not expect to hear, felt a sensation…”

She quieted, and they gazed into one another’s eyes for a moment, irises locking as they shared thoughts and images… and in this mental world, it made reality flicker around them before Luna nodded slowly, saying softly: “I see then. That shall cut down upon our work… is perhaps why Nightmare Moon was eager to bring thee here to me. Our minds are linked, our souls connected… and when it was I alone in this library, ‘twas not so responsive. ‘Twas ever-changing, aye, but it did not change where I demanded, and I did try, Scrivener Blooms. But with you here, it changes… but it seems also more memories are added to its shelves.”

She paused, then smiled wryly, adding in a quietly-entertained voice: “And well, perhaps my subconscious works in odd ways. Even as my conscious mind speaks, this library, this shifting sea of the subconscious, seems to try and guide us towards and away from our objectives, from truth and lies… but does thou know what we are after, then?”

“Yes, but…” Scrivy grimaced a bit, saying slowly: “The library changes positions. The sections probably change and who knows what else does. Now that we know we can affect this, though, maybe we’re going about this the wrong way…”

Scrivy paused, glancing at Luna, and she nodded firmly before the two looked calmly towards the wall as they concentrated, letting their instincts and minds meld as one… and library shelves shuffled back and forth in front of them before forming into a narrow hall that led through into another aisle, Scarlet Sage looking up in dumb surprise from where she was reading a white book, and Luna sighed in exasperation as she threw her head back and her mane swirled around her. “Oh, that is not what I wished to see! Meddlesome subconscious and… diabolical foal!”

“Hey, it… it was already open!” Scarlet Sage blushed all the same as she hurriedly closed the tome, then she hung her head and stepped forwards, awkwardly adding: “And… no matter what, Luna, I… I won’t ever think less of you. Not you, not Scrivy… I really mean that. I’m not just saying those words because it’s nice… because now, with this awful thing inside me, I can… I can start to see how ponies… I mean…”

She stopped, looking embarrassed, and Luna softened visibly before she said quietly: “Scarlet Sage… of what did thou just read?”

Scarlet Sage glanced down with a blush… and Luna glanced towards the tome, flicking her horn, and it floated into the air before sailing slowly over to them, then it spilled backwards and open, and they both stared up at the cold, callous eyes of Celestia as she loomed, even in transparent memory… and Luna smiled faintly at this image of a thousand years ago, as Celestia said quietly: “I will give thee one last chance to stop, Luna… or Nightmare Moon, if that is the name thou hast chosen now. It is not a mercy I usually afford our enemies, but thou art my sister. Refuse to surrender, however… and I will not hold back.”

“And… she did not.” Luna glanced down and shook her head slowly, the book quietly closing as she put this aside… then she looked down at Scarlet Sage and said softly: “But as thou has seen for thyself… Celestia and I are… sisters, still. Closer now perhaps than we ever were before. I love her, and I am secure that she loves me, even after all that has happened, after how we have been at one-another’s throats. Memories are all biased, Scarlet Sage, and it is why I am scared of showing thee my memories of the Blood Seers… some are very good. Some… are very terrible. I do not wish thee to think that thou art destined to become… what thou does not wish to. For as thou hast seen thyself… ponies, even of the same blood… one may become gentle and tender and kind, and the other… an awful, terrible predator.”

Scarlet Sage nodded slowly, looking down and murmuring quietly: “And ever since my parents died, the ponies who looked after me were Luna and Scrivener Blooms. Even if Fluttershy was always helping out and caring for me, it was you who rescued me… you who always came to visit and teach me things, you who were always out there, protecting me. I think that’s why… even if I see those other ponies with… powers like mine doing awful things, I know that it doesn’t mean I’m going to have to be like that too. That… no matter what, we choose our destinies. That’s right, isn’t it?”

“Yes, child, even if some things are fated to occur, we still have decisions we can make, choices that will affect the outcome. I could have decided to not permit Scrivener Blooms to live with me in the Everfree Forest, after all, despite his… begging and clinging.” Luna smiled slightly, glancing over at the male as he only gazed back at her with entertainment. “But while my life would have been so much the more tranquil… ‘twould have been far more boring as well, and I do not think… we would be where we are today.”

She halted, then turned slowly around, Scrivener mirroring her before they both lowered their heads forwards, concentrating, as Scarlet Sage watched… and around them, the library shuddered violently, the books trembling in the shelves as the floor of the room quaked… and then the shelves rapidly formed into one long, immense aisle on either side of them, a grand corridor that was color-coded from brightest to darkest, Scarlet Sage gazing back and forth in surprise as Luna smiled softly and Scrivener opened his eyes as the winged unicorn murmured: “We must never, ever forget our own power. Doing so, and running in circles in our own mind leads only to frustration… and perhaps, in not trusting in those I so eagerly have claimed as my beloved, special family, is foolishness. I wish to protect thee… Celestia wished to protect Equestria, for the longest time, and the country was almost suffocated by it.”

She quieted, then strode forwards, Scrivener falling into pace beside her and Scarlet Sage hurrying forwards, the filly walking quickly between the two as she marveled at the long corridor, gazing back and forth as the shelves angled to face slightly towards them before Luna paused at a shelf filled with red books… and she smiled faintly before reaching up and pulling one free, studying it silently before she said quietly: “Thou art not perhaps ready for the darker tales of Blood Seers, but I was not lying when I said that there were good as well as evil practitioners, and this is a story of one whom I met, misjudged, swore often at, and then one night got pleasantly drunk beside with my brother Sleipnir. He travelled with us for a time… but read, Scarlet Sage. I cannot teach you to use thy powers more than thou could teach a unicorn to use their horn… but I can share with you my knowledge of the Blood Seers, and what the Blood Seers shared with me. And through instinct… thou will learn the rest.”

Scarlet Sage nodded hesitantly, looking silently down at the book as she took it carefully… and then Luna and Scrivener Blooms both turned and strode quietly back into the corridor of memories, heading slowly down it as the male asked quietly: “Should we leave her there?”

“Even in another’s world, some things must be discovered on one’s own. I… I trust her. I love her. I wish not to go to the other extreme than Celestia, but… I have faith in the foal, and that long string of memories inside that tome will likely keep her occupied for some time.” Luna smiled wryly, glancing towards him as she murmured softly: “We instead… must attend to opening memories so ancient they have been all but forgotten.”

The two looked up… and they were unsurprised to see Nightmare Moon standing and waiting calmly at the end of the library, where the walls were filled with black books: both ancient tomes and dark-as-night memories. And, in front of the encircling shelves of black tomes, beside where the enormous darkness-kissed equine stood, there was a pedestal upon which rested a single object… not a tome bound in leather or hardcover black book, but a stone tablet, ancient runes engraved across this.

Nightmare Moon smiled at them tenderly as they approached, and she said kindly: “Good, you’re here. You will understand when you read this, Luna… but it took you much longer to reach it than I expected. It’s strange how helpless you can be without Scrivener Blooms at your side, so used to his presence, to using him to amplify your powers… but I understand. I understand all too well.”

She paused, then leaned down and said softly: “Yes, I see it in your eyes. You’re truly starting to accept and believe, and this is necessary. This is good… this will give us a great edge in the upcoming battles, and you will understand why once you read the tablet, and break the seal. You understand what it is, don’t you?”

Luna glanced towards it… then she nodded slowly, saying quietly: “Aye, I see now. It is the manifestation of a memory seal… thou hast placed us inside here, a visualization of my mind, in order for us to be able to ‘access’ this ancient and weathered barrier. It is like a mental dam, a false wall… the happy medium between wiping a mind completely and giving all memories free rein. ‘Tis designed in such a way that should one know what to look for… it could be easily found and removed. Why did thou not speak of this earlier, Nightmare Moon? From whence has thou known of this? And tell me… why, upon the very lock, is inscribed the runes that doubtlessly form the disenchantment required to shatter this barrier, starting first with mine locked-away name, ‘Brynhild?’”

“Because you needed to be ready… you needed to find it yourself, and I needed you to find it yourself. I have tried, and unsuccessfully, to break the seal, you see… but it would not permit itself to be dispelled, and when I read it, there is no reaction. Perhaps it is because of the shards of darkness inside of me, fuelling and empowering me… or perhaps it is built so that only you could break it, or someone from your past.” Nightmare Moon paused, and then she said softly: “But now you are here, and all the answers you seek only require a reading of this tablet. Already, look how many memories have slipped up through the crevices of your soul… and I am so very eager to understand more of who we are. Unlock the seal, sweet little Luna… between you and Scrivener Blooms, it should be easy. Between you and Scrivener Blooms, when you worked together, you easily mastered this labyrinth, this library. And if you cannot…”

“Scarlet Sage.” Luna said softly, and Nightmare Moon smiled kindly as the winged unicorn narrowed her cyan irises at the dark, enormous equine. “Treacherous monster! Thou would have used her to shatter the seal!”

“Calm yourself, Luna… I said I would teach her to use her powers, if you would not. It would have been a simple first lesson, exerting her powers in the mind of another… and it would not have harmed the filly. The only pony at risk would have been you… but I would never let even our precious little filly willy-nilly lash out with the Blood Seer’s abilities.” Nightmare Moon continued to look with cunning kindness down at Luna, who glowered and gritted her teeth, but seemed to find it hard to find any real reason to show fury at the creature before her. “You’re always so eager to look at what’s wrong with my motives, even when you know I’m right… but let’s not overlook the fact that now it’s not me teaching Scarlet Sage about Blood Seers and their magic, it’s you.”

Luna narrowed her eyes grimly at this, and then she looked moodily towards the stone tablet, asking distastefully: “Thou risks both my bitterness and my anger, creature. I am now tempted to refuse to unlock and discover these memories simply because thou art so eager to know them.”

This made Nightmare Moon frown slightly as her mane swirled backwards… but then she only shook her head slowly and laughed quietly, saying softly: “Always so childish, Luna… always intent on making such trouble, on taking revenge or retribution. Very well, I apologize for my scheming, although it is all for the greater good… and I would ask you, politely, to attempt to open the seal, and let the memories flow upwards.”

The winged unicorn was silent, her own starry mane twisting backwards as she apprehensively looked up at Nightmare Moon, who smiled calmly back down at her, their eyes locking before Luna sighed and looked at Scrivy… and when the male nodded hesitantly, she returned her eyes to the equine and murmured: “Very well, creature. But promise me one thing… should a recoil occur, should something happen… protect Scarlet Sage. I know it is within thy powers to pull her back from my mind should something happen. I know that memories are supposed to be harmless, after all, but all too often… they bear great and terrible powers all their own.”

Nightmare Moon smiled soothingly and nodded, stepping away from the pedestal and gesturing to it invitingly with one wing… and Luna sighed a bit before she glowered at Scrivy when he started to step away, saying dryly: “I think not, poet. We face this together, as we face all things. Now step forwards, thou makes a serviceable shield from any possible malign magic.”

“Oh, good, yes, that sounds like a great idea.” Scrivy grumbled under his breath, and then he grimaced a bit as he stepped forwards, looking at the tablet nervously as Luna apprehensively bit the inside of her cheek. “Luna…”

“Silence, daydreamer. This… must be done, one way or another. I must know for sure…” Luna murmured quietly, shaking her head slowly, and then she gazed quietly at the stone tablet, her mane swirling backwards as her cyan irises roved over it, taking a slow, nervous breath as she whispered: “‘Brynhild…’”

The runes on the tablet glowed… and Luna gritted her teeth before she read onwards in a clear, sharp voice: “‘In slumber, I kept thee: for more than a thousand years and a day, in sleep thou wert sealed, in darkness thou wert locked. And then thou wert cast out of Valhalla, but not for malice, for safety’s sake, thy body broken, thy mind bent. Left without memory, to hide thee from our enemies: veiled in shape, body and soul. But no door is without key, no wall of sanctuary or prison impenetrable… and now the time has come to draw back the curtains of time, for the mind to remember all that was lost.”

For a moment, there was only silence as the runes glowed blue on the tablet, and Luna and Scrivy traded an awkward look even as Nightmare Moon smiled and drew back… and then cracks spread throughout the stone before the tablet shattered into pieces, the pedestal toppling backwards as the black books shivered in the shelves before beginning to fall forwards, ghostly memories spilling up from them in a cacophony as the two ponies winced backwards and Nightmare Moon only laughed, turning around and watching eagerly as the rear shelf of the library collapsed and revealed starry darkness beyond.

The night sky shone in, constellations glimmering and glowing, lines of blue light tracing themselves back and forth between the stars as the ponies watched in amazement before the moon rose: a glowing, ivory orb that hung in the dark, starlit sky outside. It pulsed and hummed, spilling its radiance into the room before Luna glanced down as she felt something, and she grimaced in surprise as she saw Scarlet Sage, the filly staring in wonderment as the winged unicorn muttered: “’Tis no place for foals. I know not what we are about to see… I know not what I am even about to feel.”

“I’m here for you, Mom.” Scarlet Sage murmured, not looking up, barely acknowledging what Luna had said as she silently reached out and grasped her hoof… and Luna closed her eyes and locked their hooves together as Scrivener smiled faintly over at the two, as Scarlet Sage whispered: “It doesn’t look like Equestria’s sky…”

Luna knew that it wasn’t, as she looked at the constellations… wolf, pony, and other figures… and then she and Scrivy both gritted their teeth as a voice asked sharply in their minds: Odin, not that I doubt you… but is this such a good idea?

The Frost Giants are no more, the last left was Valthrudnir and his moronic games, and he was no match for me. Nay, we celebrate tonight, war with the Vanir tomorrow. replied a strong, calm voice. We are the Aesir, warrior gods, gods of honor, greater far than silly nature gods and chaos entities.

Scrivy and Luna both lowered their heads forwards as Scarlet Sage looked back and forth between them, opening her mouth… and then she stared outwards at the constellations, whispering: “Look…”

The two ponies frowned… and then watched as the stars shifted, the constellations changing slowly in pulses of light, forming translucent images and shapes of strange creatures that charged at each other, illustrating a battle between them in bursts of light and motion before a figure stood, proud and tall, a spear held in one hand as a voice floated in through the celestial night wall: “You are just a Valkyrie, a guardian… do not question me, Brynhild. We have suffered greater losses than I expected, aye, but would you allow the Vanir disease to grow?”

“But there was no glory in it… no honor. It points to something else.” Luna whispered in reply, and then she gritted her teeth and shook her head violently as the constellations swirled and changed, as the moonlight pulsed before they gazed up, and Luna and Scrivy both shuddered as the ivory moon darkened, as blue flames licked along the bottom of the night sky, as constellations of writhing figures formed, yanked along by puppet’s strings. “No…”

“Run!” Celestia’s voice came hauntingly from the wall, as one of the strange, exotic constellations began to reach up… and then it was yanked upwards by the glowing blue strings and out of the night sky, and there was an awful crunch.

“Friends, warriors!” cried a male, masculine voice, and Luna swallowed thickly, trembling as the echoes of Sleipnir’s tones rolled through her head… before another figure was ripped out of sight.

One-by-one, puppets on strings were yanked away, until only a single constellation was left, this one slack and laying broken… but even as the strings slowly began to pull it through the night sky, a constellation slipped out from behind the moon and slashed a sword of starlight downwards, ripping through the threads. There was an animal snarl as the strings of blue light faded slowly, and then the constellation leaned down silently, whispering: “I have wrought evil upon my own family. We were deceived, and unknowing, I was the deceiver. Brynhild… this is not the way for a warrior to die. But you are not just a warrior… you are a Valkyrie. You are the blessed of the Aesir. A quick death now, for a later rebirth, for the worlds filter inevitably downwards… fly, spirit, fly to the world below.”

His sword pierced the constellation, and Luna gasped as Scrivener felt coldness spill through their bodies, the two trembling as Scarlet Sage whimpered… and then the constellation shattered in the other’s arms before puppet strings snaked forwards, seizing it and yanking it backwards as the sword of starlight flew from its grip, leaving the night sky vast and empty.

And, slowly, the moon darkened, the terrible, black profile of an immense wolf’s head passing over it, with glowing red eyes that searched hungrily back and forth. It snarled, then threw its head back and howled… and the walls of the library trembled, more books falling out of place as both Luna and Scrivy dropped their heads forwards, but Nightmare Moon only laughed before the shape faded… and a moment later, they were looking not out at the night sky, but a battered, blue-painted wall with a chipped and scuffed emblem of the moon drawn over it.

Luna stared at this all the same, however, as tears leaked down her cheeks, rasping for breath as she whispered: “Yes… I remember sitting often, gazing at this symbol in the old wing of the fortress. They called me Night Maiden… and I always felt so lucky to be among their ranks, to be one of them. They called me most beautiful, but all that attracted was trouble.”

She shivered a little and laughed weakly, then clenched her eyes shut, lowering her head as Scarlet Sage clung to her, and Scrivener Blooms quietly stepped towards her, hugging her fiercely as Nightmare Moon strode slowly in front of the mural, murmuring: “Yes, the memories return. One small, tumbling stone may start an avalanche… one dislodged pebble may topple an entire mountain. Forty Valkyries, led by Freya… and we were her second-in-command. The lower-class Valkyries were jealous of us… the higher class ones wanted to be our friend. And night, back then, was our closest friend… and Thor, simple-minded warrior god Thor, spent too much time at our table. He loved to take his chances with the Valkyries… but he loved more to spend the time laughing, singing, drinking with us.”

“Yes, he was a brother even then to us. The other Aesir sometimes saw us only as… beautiful puppets and soldiers to be used, but never Thor.” murmured Luna, and she shivered a little, looking down as she rose a hoof slowly in front of her eyes. “It’s all true, isn’t it? Nightmare Moon, why? Why must we know this? What has been done to us? Why could we not forget, why could we not forgo all this madness…”

“Because we had to know. Because now you better understand why you are the way you are… where your talents came from, why you and Celestia have always been different.” Nightmare Moon said softly, raising her head as she turned to gaze lovingly over her shoulder at the mural. “And now we know we live in a godless world. They simply destroyed each other in a quest for power… what a mortal, silly concept! Perhaps the gods did create ponies and other peoples in their image, all the closer than they know… but not that it matters. Now all that are left are shattered remnants, and perhaps a few minor deities who escaped the bloodshed here and there… but we cannot know what occurred. Odin put us to sleep, do you remember?”

“I do. I do, dark creature, speak not of it.” Luna whispered, lowering her head and looking away as Scarlet Sage looked up silently and Scrivener squeezed Luna slowly around the shoulders, feeling her emotions rollicking through her body before she clenched her teeth. “I don’t wish to be here any longer, creature. Let me loose. Set me free from this awful place. This accursed hall of memories… sometimes I wonder if thou truly are part of me, or if…”

“It would be easier on you if I wasn’t, I know.” Nightmare Moon said kindly, stepping towards them as her horn glowed, a tender smile on her face as she murmured gently: “Don’t forget, darling Luna. All I have ever done is what is necessary. It hurts now… but you’ll thank me later.”

The three ponies looked up as Nightmare Moon’s eyes glowed… and slowly, reality around them faded out before they closed their eyes, instinctively clinging to one another, holding each other tightly as trembles ran through their bodies… and then, slowly, irises opened as cold air assailed forms that were snugly pressed together, Scarlet Sage between them and trembling as Luna and Scrivener clung to each other.

They were silent, laying in the back of the wagon upon the bedding, none of them aware of how much time had passed and yet at the same time understanding it had only been minutes, perhaps seconds, in the strange library of mixed memories… and then Scarlet Sage dropped her head forwards against Luna, and Luna curled herself around the filly as she pushed her face into Scrivy’s mane, tears still flowing down her cheeks as she whispered: “Do not move, do not think… only be with me, both of thee. I need thee both.”

And Scrivy only pulled Luna closer as Scarlet Sage pushed herself tighter between the bodies of the two ponies, burying her face against the winged unicorn’s body as the three lay together in the awful loudness of the silence that followed, punctured only by the pulse of breathing and the occasional whispered sigh.