• Published 5th Sep 2012
  • 4,597 Views, 147 Comments

Lunar Lights - BlackRoseRaven



Old enemies return to Equestria, seeking revenge on Luna and Celestia. Second of six stories.

  • ...
9
 147
 4,597

Magic Tricks And Tricky Magic

Chapter Three: Magic Tricks And Tricky Magic
~BlackRoseRaven

“What?” Twilight looked up in shock at the calm announcement Luna had just made, glancing back and forth immediately… but Luna only threw her head back and laughed before the unicorn glared at her, whispering loudly: “What do you mean, something’s watching us?”

“Oh, ‘tis some foolish pony that has wandered out here… perhaps it followed you, perhaps it seeks to find if the rumors are true, perhaps it is lost… but the creature certainly feels like a jealous little beast, and I would say that it is… a unicorn, yes.” Luna cocked her head thoughtfully, half-glancing towards the sky. “Yes, ‘tis a unicorn. And ‘tis about to be welcomed by our little loyal pet Sammy.”

Scrivener glanced towards the forest, where he had caught a gleam of blue… and a moment later, there was a loud scream before a female unicorn charged out of the woods, staring over her shoulder in terror as Sammy pranced out behind her, the small, skeletal pseudodragon chirping as he flapped his wings and gnashed his teeth. To the three, long used to the undead beast, it was adorable… but to the newcomer, it probably seemed like the little beast was out for her blood.

The baby-blue unicorn made a dash towards Twilight Sparkle, whose jaw fell open as the female dropped to cower behind her, a purple cloak patterned with white, blue and yellow stars and dots covering her body, and a tall, matching wizard’s hat flopping over her face as she covered her head with her hooves, her pale white-blue mane and tail swaying with her trembles.

“I… what are you doing here?” Twilight stared in horror at the female, and the unicorn glanced up nervously after a moment with her purple eyes… then she leapt to her hooves with a wince as she fought to suppress a blush, even as her cloak half-fell free from her body to reveal her cutie mark of a star-tipped magic wand over a C-shaped crescent of sparkles.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie has travelled far and wide across Equestria, and returned to Ponyville to challenge the foolish Twilight Sparkle to prove once and for all that no pony is as talented and powerful as the Great and Powerful Trixie!” The female leapt upwards, posing as she stood on her hind hooves and sparks sizzled through the air behind her, a grin immediately spreading over her face… and then Sammy chirped beside her and peered up at her, and the unicorn shrieked and leapt away behind Twilight… then stared as Luna leaned towards her with half-lidded eyes and a wide grin, and she screamed again and ran towards the forest.

Then the female skidded to a halt and spun around, pointing a hoof accusingly and shouting: “But the Great and Powerful Trixie heard that you had ventured into the Everfree Forest, and knew that there she would discover the source of your power… and she has! No wonder you’re so strong, learning under the hoof of the evil Nightmare Moon, and I shall expose you and challenge you to an honest battle of magic, and we shall see just who is the most talented unicorn in all of Equestria!”

Trixie posed again, and Luna laughed and sat backwards, clapping her hooves together cheerfully. “Oh delightful, a unicorn duel! Do go right ahead!”

“She doesn’t mean that kind of duel, Luna.” Twilight said flatly, and Luna sulked as Scrivener simply stared, nonplussed, at the pale blue unicorn, who seemed more intent on preening than fleeing despite her fear as she looked challengingly across at Twilight. “You know, it’s been almost two years, Trixie-”

“And still you remember my name, proving that you know I am a worthy rival! Proving that you must fear the Great and Powerful Trixie!” the female proclaimed, posing once more… and then Sammy chirped cheerfully from the grasses beside her, and Trixie gave another scream and dashed along the edge of the forest, circling through the field and almost falling into the creek as she scrambled hastily alongside the riverbed before managing to catch herself and snap upwards, shouting: “I fear not your evil familiars! What can you do to the Great and Powerful Trixie to stop her from exposing your identity and secrets?”

And with that, Luna grinned widely… then she vanished from the spot, seeming to burst apart into blue smoke before there was a puff of sapphire light and fire beside Trixie, and Luna reappeared with one foreleg companionably wrapped around her shoulders, the unicorn paling considerably before Luna said kindly through a sharp-toothed grin: “I could kill thee. Or simply gobble thee up.”

The unicorn stared for a moment at Luna… then she keeled to the side and fainted, falling off the embankment and landing with a loud splash in the creek, and Luna threw her head back and laughed as Trixie snapped back to consciousness, spluttering and spitting mud out as she sat quickly up and gave a moan of disgust, covered in muck and splashing disconsolately at the water as Twilight sighed and walked over to the creek bank, looking down at the female and saying kindly: “Trixie, for one thing, you scream your name everywhere you go and have a bad habit of referring to yourself in the third person. For another, Luna isn’t evil. I probably shouldn’t trust you to keep your mouth shut, but if you come up here, we can explain things.”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie shall not be bought or threatened by evil!” Trixie declared righteously, looking up sharply… and then her hat fell off and splashed down into the creek, and her lower lip trembled before she sighed and muttered: “But I shall listen.”

Trixie grumbled under her breath, her blue horn glowing and her hat lifting out of the creek to shake itself lightly before she crawled upwards… and then stared, trembling, as Sammy leaned towards her slowly, only a few feet away from her face. Twilight only rolled her eyes, however, reaching down to swat the skeletal pseudodragon away as she said flatly: “Scrivener, tell your pet to stop scaring her.”

“Oh, because he listens to me, right.” Scrivy replied plainly, and then he shook his head before glancing over towards Trixie, adding meditatively: “Also, she sounds louder and more arrogant than Luna. I find this disconcerting.”

“Silence thy mouth, Scrivener Blooms.” Luna retorted, then she glanced musingly towards Trixie as the female leaned carefully away from her, dripping and muddy, before the winged unicorn simply flicked her horn… and blue light whispered in a quick flash over Trixie’s body, making her squeak before she was left dry and clean, staring down at herself in shock as Luna said mildly: “Now the evil Nightmare Moon hast just cleaned thee up. Please do remember though, it does only make thee all the easier to gobble down should the urge strike upon me.”

Trixie stared and swallowed slowly, and Twilight only sighed as she walked over to the unicorn, even as she said flatly: “Princess Luna, please. She’s harmless… and Trixie, no one here is going to hurt you. I have to admit, I didn’t exactly expect to ever see you again, though, after that little incident with the Ursa Minor in Ponyville.”

“Bah, ‘tis nothing to how the Great and Powerful Trixie defeated the Ursa Major!” Trixie proclaimed immediately, and when Luna simply looked at her, the unicorn quailed and said meekly: “I… assisted Twilight in defeating the Ursa Minor?”

“Is it just me, or do you lie every time you open your mouth?” Twilight asked flatly, and Trixie huffed and mumbled under her breath as she shrank a bit as the three ponies studied her for a few moments, before Twilight finally sighed and explained to Luna and Scrivener: “About two years ago, Trixie rolled into Ponyville on a show-carriage she had rigged up and started showing off.”

“It was the greatest show in Equestria, and I did it all for free, until someone destroyed my carriage!” Trixie argued, and she straightened slightly, seeming like she was rapidly gaining her confidence back with Luna and Scrivener only looking at her curiously. “And at least the Great and Powerful Trixie never worked with Nightmare Moon!”

“Trixie, the Ursa destroyed the carriage.” Twilight said irritably, but the unicorn only pouted in return, making the violet female roll her eyes with a sigh before she returned to telling the story as Trixie sat down heavily, looking more grouchy now than fearful. “See, she was bragging to everybody about how she had defeated an Ursa Major. So two idiots from Ponyville went out and found an Ursa Minor in the Everfree Forest and brought it back. Trixie succeeded in making it angrier than it already was and I had to clean up her mess before she ran away.”

“Thou defeated an Ursa Minor? They explode with a most spectacular bang when killed.” Luna said with a smile, and Trixie winced as Twilight only gave her an amused smile back, and a moment later, the Princess of the Night rolled her eyes and muttered: “No, no, of course thou didst not kill it. But to calm such a beast and send it placidly back to its cavern, ‘tis still a sizeable accomplishment… and perhaps more noble than mine attitude of killing what frustrates me.”

“Thank you, Luna.” Twilight murmured, bowing her head… and Trixie huffed a little before the unicorn glared at her. “As for you, Trixie. Don’t even think about running your mouth to any Pegasus Guards or anyone else, for that matter, or I’ll teleport your nasty little butt all the way out of Equestria.”

“She will, too, she’s mean.” Scrivener added helpfully, and Luna giggled behind a hoof as Twilight shot him an ugly look over her shoulder.

Trixie, however, looked unconvinced, only pouting for a few moments before she hopped to her hooves and proclaimed: “The Great and Powerful Trixie allows no pony to threaten her! Twilight, years ago you defeated me-”

“Trixie, just what the hell is wrong with your stupid head?” Twilight snapped, and Trixie looked shocked at being interrupted, leaning back with wide, horrified eyes as the violet unicorn leaned in and shouted at her: “I did not do anything to you! Do you see the world in different colors or something? Are you in Trixie’s universe? Can’t you just go honestly working on your magic if you want to be the best so bad, instead of showing off to everyone and making yourself look like an idiot? You’re exactly the same as when we last met!”

“I am not!” the blue unicorn shouted back, and then she stopped before trembling a little, saying firmly: “I have to prove I’m better than you, Twilight Sparkle. The Great and Powerful Trixie has to be the best in all of Equestria. It’s just… not fair that you…”

She stopped, looking down, trembling… and Twilight softened as Luna and Scrivener both gazed quietly at the female… and Trixie lowered her head as tears spilled down her cheeks, breath hitching before she whispered: “All I had was my show, and you took that all away from me. My carriage was smashed by the Ursa Minor, and you defeated the terrible thing with ease when I couldn’t do more than irritate it… I lost all my equipment and supplies and even my costumes. That was my home, and my reputation was ruined.

“But I did learn. I really, really did learn!” Trixie looked up sharply, gritting her teeth, but the flash of anger couldn’t hide her sorrow as the trails of tears glimmered over her face. “I got better and better at magic and I have finally returned to Ponyville, adept and skilled, ready to put you in your place, Twilight Sparkle!”

Twilight only sighed a little at this, looking quietly, kindly at Trixie as she said gently: “Listen. Let’s work something out, okay? There’s no need for this.”

“Pitiable little thing.” Luna said kindly, leaning forwards and gently nudging Trixie’s face up with a hoof, and the unicorn flushed and gritted her teeth before Luna quietly brushed away her tears, saying kindly: “Thou reminds me of myself when I was younger, and not so long ago. Take heed of Twilight’s words, ‘tis kinder than you realize.”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie needs no pony’s help!” Trixie stormed, leaping backwards, and then she glared across at Twilight, shouting: “I demand a duel, Twilight Sparkle, to settle our differences here and now, so you too will tremble and bow at the might of the Great and Powerful Trixie!”

“Well, this shall be entertaining all the same, at least.” Luna said positively, and she reached out and shoved Scrivener Blooms backwards, pushing the earth pony off to one side before dropping herself beside him and leaving Twilight standing dumbly as Trixie grinned almost manically, the winged unicorn calling easily: “Be not too rough upon her, Twilight, and strike not at the vital organs, ‘tis only in play!”

“It’s not that kind of duel, Luna!” Twilight shouted back irritably… and then she winced as Trixie leapt up on her back hooves, striking a pose as neon fireworks erupted behind her, and the violet unicorn sighed and rolled her eyes with a groan, muttering: “Do we really have to do this?”

“Yes, Twilight, the Great and Powerful Trixie shall not be satisfied until she has had her second bite at the apple… my first chance to prove I am the greatest magician in all of Equestria!” Trixie shouted, and then she laughed and snapped her front hooves out to either side, and there was a puff of smoke as bouquets of flowers appeared in both, the female grinning challengingly.

Twilight looked less than thrilled, and she sighed and hung her head for a moment before she simply stomped the ground with her front hoof as her horn glowed… and the field rumbled, the grass stretching and shivering visibly. A moment later, flowers erupted in a rippling wave that spilled out for several feet around Twilight, leaving her standing in a patch of dandelions and wildflowers as she asked grumpily: “Are we done?”

Trixie gaped, dropping the bouquets… and then she cursed under her breath before she lowered her head forwards, her hat flipping over and floating in front of her, and Trixie waved her front hooves back and forth over it in a way that seemed more comical than mystical before she plunged one leg forwards… and then yanked back, the hat’s rim stretching and warping as she pulled a life-size statue of herself free, frozen in a raised, triumphant pose, and she tossed it into the air as her horn glowed, the Trixie statue revolving several times as it rose, then fell… and crashed heavily to the ground on its base beside her, Trixie grinning as she leaned to the side and rested against one of the raised arms of her brightly-gesturing statue, her hat floating upwards to primly perch on the head of the stone Trixie. “I warned you, I’m far superior!”

Twilight glowered at her moodily, and then she lowered her head, her horn glowing… and the Trixie statue shrugged the real Trixie off, seeming to come to life as Trixie stared in horror as it glared at her and leaned towards her, hooves on its hips as it said in Twilight’s irritable voice: “No you’re not.”

Then it froze again, in its new, grumpy position… and Trixie shoved the statue over with a grumble before she glared at Twilight and gritted her teeth, leaning forwards as her horn began to glow brighter and brighter before she reared back with a sharp, triumphant laugh, snapping her head upwards… and a blue star shot from her horn, launching high into the sky before it exploded in a bright burst of light that rapidly spread through the air, Luna and Scrivener staring with horror as Trixie’s name and a grinning image of her filled the sky, the unicorn saying gleefully: “See, see, I-”

“Trixie, you idiot!” Twilight snapped, and she stepped forwards, her horn glowing as she gritted her teeth and pointed towards the burning neon sign in the sky, and Trixie blinked dumbly a few times before she squawked when the neon blue image sparked apart and vanished, the unicorn shouting: “There are-”

“Silence!” Luna snapped, and then she reached out and seized Scrivener Blooms, the earth pony wincing before the both vanished in a burst of blue mist… and then Trixie gaped as their cottage shuddered before fading slowly from view as well, staring stupidly and mouthing wordlessly.

Only a moment later, four Pegasus Guards with heavy shields over their backs and golden armor adorning their bodies touched down, looking coldly from Trixie to Twilight… and then one of the guards seemed to recognize her, his eyes narrowing and becoming more suspicious as he stepped forwards and asked slowly: “What’s the Nightmare Moon lover doing in the Everfree Forest? This zone is off limits…”

“I…” Twilight looked nervously back and forth, stepping backwards and swallowing a bit before she said weakly: “I was just…”

“I dragged her off here to challenge her to battle! I am the Great and Powerful Trixie!” the boisterous unicorn shouted, and Twilight stared in shock as fireworks burst behind the female as she leapt up on her rear hooves, grinning brightly as her hat quickly floated back onto her head… and the attention of the guards was drawn away from Twilight, staring instead at the female as she said clearly: “I am the most powerful unicorn in all of Equestria, here to teach this little insignificant unicorn a lesson… and I did, didn’t I, Twilight? I bested her!”

“I… yes. You did.” Twilight said finally, looking moodily at Trixie and not knowing if she was more glad or more irritated now as the female preened herself. “I was just no match for her magical talent. She really is the greatest unicorn in all of Equestria.”

Trixie straightened at this, looking absurdly proud of herself, and the Pegasus Guards lingered a moment longer before two of them shrugged at each other, and they took off, followed by a third… and the last, the one who recognized Twilight, shot her an ugly look before he finally flew into the air as well, pausing only to say flatly: “Vacate the area as soon as possible.”

They circled for a few moments, then finally turned and flew off, likely heading back to the guard outpost at the edge of Ponyville… and Twilight looked at Trixie as the unicorn giggled and bounced, saying delightedly: “The Great and Powerful Trixie knew she would best you, Twilight Sparkle, she knew it, she knew it, she knew it, she-”

Then the cheerfully-prancing unicorn smacked into Luna, who barely twitched from the impact as Trixie toppled backwards, looking dumbly up at her… and then squeaking when Luna leaned down and shoved her face to press almost against Trixie’s, saying through grit teeth: “Had thou not fixed the very problem thou created with thine meddlesome magic tricks, I would have taken great delight in proving to thee firsthoof that not all the legends of Nightmare Moon are simply old mares’ tales!”

Trixie swallowed thickly at this, offering a weak smile as she slowly shrank away… and the Luna reached up and placed a hoof upon her head before shoving her firmly down to the ground, pinning her beneath it and making her squeak with outrage and terror before the female glared towards Scrivener Blooms as the earth pony emerged from the cottage as it faded back into existence. “All the same, ‘tis my opinion we either remove her brain or her memories from her skull. I lean not towards either choice, what does thou think?”

“No, no, no! I’ll be good, honest!” Trixie squeaked, and then she flailed a bit on the ground as Luna looked down at her grouchily, before she sighed when Twilight reached up and gently touched her shoulder, hesitating for only a moment before she muttered and lifted her hoof from Trixie’s head.

The unicorn groveled for a moment at the hooves of Luna, then she carefully pushed herself up and smiled brightly, saying quickly: “And now that the Great and Powerful Trixie has proven her worth, perhaps the mighty Nightmare Moon would consider sharing that wonderful little invisibility spell with her…”

“She’s not Nightmare Moon, she’s Luna. Furthermore, I thought you were just saying you would never work with evil ponies like us.” Twilight said irritably, and Trixie grumbled sullenly before the violet unicorn sighed as she looked quietly over to Luna, who was moodily studying the female along with Scrivener, the two standing side-by-side and seeming to somehow communicate with each other without saying anything at all. “Listen, she’s… I don’t think she’s a danger to you. Are you, Trixie?”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie has decided to reserve judgment on… Luna and the so-called mad monk that fled Canterlot.” Trixie said after a moment, rubbing at her face thoughtfully as she looked back and forth, then she winced as there was a loud chirp before looking nervously over her shoulder at Sammy as the pseudodragon cocked its head up at her. “She does not approve of your taste in companion animals, however.”

Scrivener grumbled at this, and then he muttered: “Just like a damn unicorn.” He paused, then cleared his throat when Twilight gave him a flat look. “No offense.”

Trixie, however, only looked at the male haughtily, responding indignantly: “And that is just so the attitude the Great and Powerful Trixie would expect from a boorish earth pony, jealous of the many talents of the Great and Powerful Trixie and her good friends.”

Trixie immediately hopped forwards, wrapping a foreleg around the shoulders of both Twilight and Luna with a cheerful smile… and they both favored her with a horrible look, making her clear her throat and carefully lift her limbs free, then slide carefully backwards before she straightened and declared: “The Great and Powerful Trixie wishes to know more about why Luna and Twilight Sparkle and the earth pony-”

“Scrivener Blooms.” Scrivy said flatly, and Trixie leaned forwards, glaring at him for interrupting her as he looked

“Scrivener. Blooms.” she said, voice dripping with distaste, and then she cleared her throat again and continued, head tilted upwards arrogantly: “She wishes to know what is going on here, for the Great and Powerful Trixie has deduced there is more than meets the eye.”

For a few moments the three only stared at her… and then Luna turned away with a mutter, and Twilight and Scrivy turned to follow her, Trixie blinking stupidly a few times as the ponies walked towards the cottage before she bounded after them, calling in a loud, whiny voice: “Wait, come back! The Great and Powerful Trixie has many questions! And… and more proof that she is the greatest unicorn in all of Equestria!”

Luna pushed her way into the cottage, Scrivener following with a mutter, and Twilight went in last, kicking the door shut with a huff behind her, and Trixie almost smacked into it… then she pounded on it with her front hooves, shouting: “Let the Great and Powerful Trixie in, or she’ll use her magic to force her way into your abode!”

She paused, then slowly peered over her shoulder… and squealed when she saw Sammy sitting placidly behind her, the skeletal pseudodragon staring up at her and posed as if about to pounce as she wailed: “Don’t leave me out here! Let me in, let me in!”

Finally, Twilight opened the door, glaring at her as Trixie fell over the threshold and grinned weakly up at her… and then Sammy cheerfully ran over the unicorn’s body and jumped past her head, Trixie staring dumbly as the skeletal pseudodragon bounced towards the den before Twilight asked grumpily: “Do you promise to behave yourself, and to not make an idiot of yourself? And are you sure you want to come inside, not just. Go away? Somewhere far away?”

“Nay, the Great and Powerful Trixie is not just the world’s greatest magician, but she is also on her way to becoming the world’s greatest detective!” Trixie declared, and then she squeaked when Twilight’s horn glowed and a bright aura surrounded her muzzle, her jaws snapping shut as she stared dumbly at the other female.

“Rule one. Stop referring to yourself as the ‘Great and Powerful Trixie.’ Talk like a normal person and stop shouting.” Twilight emphasized the last two words by leaning forwards and putting a little more volume into them than necessary, and Trixie nodded rapidly before the violet unicorn mumbled under her breath and turned around, the glow fading from around her horn and letting Trixie’s mouth snap open before she giggled and gleefully followed the female inside, pausing only to shut the door behind her.

She gaped around the cottage as if she’d never been inside a home before, looking back and forth with fascination as Twilight joined Luna and Scrivener back on main bedding, Sammy already curled up contently in front of the smoldering fireplace… and then Trixie beamed as her eyes settled on the three, immediately leaping forwards and dropping herself between Twilight and Luna as she said cheerfully: “Look, already we’re all best friends!”

Then Trixie squeaked as a blue aura surrounded her, one of Luna’s eyes twitching as she exerted a little more telekinetic force than was strictly necessary and made the unicorn wheeze as she was firmly lifted into the air, then guided across the room to be dropped upon the furthest cushion, Trixie blinking dumbly as she scuttled around in a circle and her cloak fanned out around her before Luna said grouchily: “Keep thee hence, or I shall break thee into little pieces, little unicorn.”

“I… yes. The Great and Power- I mean, of course, I shall respect your boundaries, it’s generous enough that you’ve let me stay here.” Trixie said brightly, giving an awkward smile as she looked at the three, and they all looked moodily back before the unicorn asked quickly: “So I have deduced that Luna may not be the evil Nightmare Moon she is said to be… even though Trixie herself was in the crowd that day, and saw the terrible Nightmare Moon knock Celestia from the Heavens!”

Trixie leaned back, making a wide gesture with both her front legs… and the three only looked at her flatly before she cleared her throat and winced a little, carefully flattening herself down against the cushion and asking awkwardly: “I mean. What happened?”

“’Tis not for thee to know. At least, not yet, Trixie, not until we have better judged thy character… which so far speaks more of the flash and sizzle than it does of actual worth.” Luna replied imperiously, and Trixie huffed, looking a little hurt as she slouched a bit, and then the winged unicorn grumbled and nuzzled against Scrivener Blooms, saying finally: “I suppose thou should fix us some tea, my daydreamer. ‘Tis proper and all.”

“Oh, so he’s a slave-hoof.” Trixie said brightly, glancing up… and a moment later she was on her back, not even able to scream as Luna snarled down at her, a hoof pinning her by the chest as her eyes glowed ivory and her horn burned with blue flames, deadly and gleaming and slowly lowering itself to level at Trixie’s throat as the female shivered on her back, eyes wide and terrified as her teeth rattled loudly together.

“’Tis a term none are permitted to speak in my home, ‘tis a term none are permitted to call mine husband.” Luna said in a soft, dangerous voice… and then she glanced up with a grimace when Scrivener only gently touched her shoulder, sighing and closing her eyes… and the glow faded beneath her lids as the aura died out from around her horn, looking ruffled as she straightened and glowered moodily down at Trixie. “Perhaps thy special talent is irritating other creatures. Be warned, though, unlike the Ursa, Twilight Sparkle cannot save thee from mine wrath if thou brings it down upon thy head.”

“Be nice to the unicorn, dear.” Scrivener said mildly as he walked towards the kitchen, and Luna sulked visibly as she turned and returned to the cushion, flopping down almost on top of Twilight and making her wince before she blushed when Luna dropped her head against the female’s neck and buried her face comfortably against her mane. Trixie, however, only flopped to her side, staring dumbly at the wall, seemingly blind to the world around her as a shudder passed through her system.

Within a minute, however, she had recovered, picking herself up and brushing herself down quickly as she said awkwardly: “I… I’m sorry. Trixie… I mean… my family are all unicorns. Very talented, very well-off unicorns…”

She quieted, looking down and pawing quietly at the floor with a hoof as Luna only mumbled, face still buried against Twilight’s neck, but the violet-colored pony looked up, tilting her head and asking quietly: “Then why are you on the road, Trixie? Surely you know you’d benefit more from being in a magic school, instead of… well…”

“Because…” Trixie glanced down awkwardly, then she closed her eyes and mumbled: “Because I couldn’t pass the entrance exam when I was a child. You get one shot at getting into the Academy in Canterlot, one shot. And I flunked out. Couldn’t hatch the egg, couldn’t make more than a few sparks.”

She quieted, looking down and murmuring: “So I was forced to learn magic the hard way, by myself… and through tutors, bought and paid for under the table. But a unicorn who has a firm grasp of magic… they are so high in demand they can pick and choose almost their entire lives. How many unicorns do you know who can do real magic, Twilight, outside of Canterlot’s fortress of a magic school? How many unicorns in all of Ponyville are capable of more than a hoofful of trivial spells and some simple telekinetic tricks?”

Trixie halted, then snorted and muttered: “And to buy a real unicorn teacher, well. That would have been too much for even my family. So I was taught mostly by other showboats and magicians, and most of all what they taught me was not magic, but attitude. Shout something loudly enough, make your point clearly enough, and throw in a few flashy bangs and a beginner level temporary telekinetic enhancement spell, and anyone will believe anything you do.”

She shook her head slowly… then glanced up awkwardly as Scrivener returned, carrying a tray laden with four steaming mugs of tea. He put this down, picking up one for himself as Trixie quietly lifted her own with her powers, the mug floating silently over to her as another floated to Twilight… and Trixie stared at the ground as she whispered: “I have a lot of potential. I could be great, and powerful too… my cutie mark is in magic, it came the first time I cast a magic spell… and I knew then I was destined for greatness. But I couldn’t pass that one silly exam…”

She closed her eyes, then sipped slowly at her tea… and then shook her head as Luna gazed up and across at her, softening a little as Scrivener lay down on her other side. The three ponies faced the pale blue unicorn as she looked miserably into her tea, and then she clenched her eyes shut before she muttered: “I learned everything I could from my teachers, then enchanted a carriage and left home. I picked up more magic on the route, going from town-to-town, learning to embellish my stories more and more and challenging anyone who thought they could stand up to the Great and Powerful Trixie.

“I was a unicorn. I was careful to try and target the earth ponies and pegasi, since they were easier targets… and since I’m sure you know by now most of my magic was misdirection, illusions, and practiced telekinesis… with my carriage full of tricks, I was prepared for almost any situation.” She stopped, then added grouchily: “Including, of course, the rare time where I’d run into a unicorn who knew enough magic to give me a run for my money or even best me. But I was loud. Boisterous. I was the Great and Powerful Trixie, who first was so skilled, she saved a town from a band of thieves… then she was so strong, she drove off a hydra… and then she was so powerful, she defeated the mighty Ursa Major!”

Trixie posed with her hooves above her head, but now it was bitter and ironic, and Luna gave a slight smile as Scrivener sipped slowly at his tea and Twilight gazed at her with sympathy. “I wanted respect, and a reputation, and I almost had it all… except then, of course, there was Ponyville. There was you, Twilight… and I was exposed to be a fraud, left without any of my gear, defeated and broken.” She stopped, looking down and murmuring: “I knew I had to find a way to surpass you to get my reputation back. No other way would do… and you destroyed my pride, what little of it I had left, anyway. Oh yes, Trixie’s so confident, Trixie’s so cocky, Trixie’s so arrogant. But… oh, inside…”

She clenched her eyes shut, shaking her head fiercely, and then she sat back and looked moodily down into her tea, rubbing a hoof at her face before she sighed softly and glanced down at her hat on the floor, toppled from her head when she had been tackled by Luna. “Trixie’s but a charlatan and a hack and a fool and is tired of the road and trying to learn this nonsense on her own.”

She stopped, then looked moodily over at Twilight, Luna, and Scrivener before she finally glanced down, her mug floating into the air and the female sipping from it quietly. Then she shook her head and muttered: “I am the Great and Powerful Trixie, Twilight, and I have already proven that I can beat you, but… it feels empty.”

“Because you didn’t beat me, for one thing, Trixie.” the unicorn said grumpily, but Trixie only pouted in response to this and sipped loudly again at her tea, before Twilight said quietly: “And look, Trixie. I’m apprenticing under Celestia herself… and fortunate enough that Luna has been teaching me magic as well. You shouldn’t compare yourself to me. In fact, you shouldn’t feel the need to compare yourself to anyone… magic is a wonderful gift on its own. Showing it off is going to make it less special, if anything.”

“Bah, I am a firm believer in duels and competition.” Luna said dryly, finally raising her head with a huff and looking moody as she straightened up slightly. “So let me amend Twilight’s speech; ‘tis fine and well to show off under the correct circumstances. To make a spectacle of thyself in the public eye constantly ‘tis most irritating, however.”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie has gained much respect with her shows across Equestria, even after Twilight’s humiliating… not-quite-defeat of her!” Trixie argued, and then she winced when Luna growled at her, wincing back. “Please don’t hurt me anymore.”

“Please make it not so appealing.” Luna retorted imperiously, glaring at her, and then she grumbled when Scrivener nudged her firmly, before she moodily studied the unicorn. “Tell me, Trixie. Does thou plan to steal Twilight Sparkle away from me? I am most protective of those special to me.”

Trixie looked confused at this, and then Luna reached out and wrapped a foreleg around the ponies on either side of her, hugging them both closer to her large frame as she looked moodily at the unicorn as Twilight blushed a bit despite rolling her eyes, and Scrivener only sighed, by now well-used to Luna’s moodiness. Then it seemed to finally register with the pale-blue unicorn, and she giggled stupidly as she looked at the three. “So that is how Twilight Sparkle gets her magic!”

Luna and Scrivener looked at each other… and then they both burst into laughter as Twilight turned almost beet-red, her teeth slowly grinding together as she glared furiously across at Trixie, who looked all-too-pleased with herself. “Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie will not lower herself to such in order to achieve magical prowess… but all the same, she would gladly work out another deal perhaps, to learn magic from the likes of such a brilliant, beautiful, obviously-misjudged pony like Luna…”

This made Luna’s laughter splutter short, but Scrivener only laughed harder for a moment before Luna struck him firmly with a hoof, making him wheeze and flop forwards, almost spilling his tea as he grumbled under his breath. Luna, however, was now frowning at Trixie, who was grinning from ear-to-ear and looking across at her anxiously, adding quickly: “As classmate of Twilight Sparkle! Twilight and I could learn much from each other, I think! Why, I could teach her about… about costumes, and putting on a good show, and… other… things, useful things! The Great and Powerful Trixie is also the Smart and Talented Trixie, after all!”

“As well as the greatest detective across Equestria?” Twilight asked sourly, and Trixie looked offended for a moment before Twilight added flatly: “Also Trixie, where would you even stay? How have you even been getting around?”

“Oh, Trixie doesn’t have a glamorous show-wagon anymore… but she does have a humble little cart, and most ponies have forgotten about Trixie’s last visit… why, they were all very happy to send me right into the Everfree Forest to look for you!” Trixie said brightly, not seeming to realize that none of them had likely guessed Trixie would actually be able to track Twilight down.

“Yeah, how did you follow me here, anyway?” Twilight frowned slightly, and then she said slowly, as if speaking to a child: “And you do understand that you cannot, absolutely cannot, tell anyone about Luna and Scrivener, right?”

“Oh hush, Twilight, I am not stupid.” Trixie said grouchily, and Luna grumbled something under her breath as Scrivy gave a mutter of agreement, making her huff at the two before she said primly: “But I shall not tell you how I tracked you then, Twilight, unless Luna accepts me as a student. Furthermore, my cart may do fine on the road most nights, but… it’s getting quite chilly in Equestria these days… and you wouldn’t let a fellow student suffer out in the cold, would you?”

She gave large, pleading eyes to Twilight, who clenched her own shut as she ground her teeth together loudly again… and Luna studied Trixie curiously for a few moments before asking mildly: “Thou does realize that thou art an annoying little wretch to whom I have no real desire nor inclination to share ancient arts of unicorn magic with, correct? That I do not see how thou even figures to deserve such a gift, nor do I think that thy have the mettle to handle the levels of concentration and effort required. Still, does thou wish to learn beneath my hoof, where most assuredly thou will spend much of thy time being?”

“Trixie has a tendency to grow on people.” the female replied cheerfully, even though she winced a little, and then she added quietly: “And she has faith that for all the legends and how… imposing you are, Luna… you must be a good pony at heart. To have such a friend in Twilight Sparkle, to have taken an earth pony as your husband… by which I mean no disrespect, Trixie is also the… the Polite and Respectful!” she added hurriedly, when Luna’s eyes began to narrow slightly. “I only mean that… Trixie is not so power-mad she would kowtow to wicked forces, and you most certainly are not wicked forces.”

Twilight grumbled a bit under her breath as Luna looked considering, rubbing at the underside of her muzzle before she asked mildly: “Would thou not prefer to have Celestia as a teacher? Sister would not deny a request from Twilight and myself.”

“So the plot thickens!” Trixie said triumphantly, and the three ponies looked at her, nonplussed, as she said eagerly: “Trixie the Detective understands now… Celestia knows you are not actually Nightmare Moon!”

“Trixie, this stunning leap of genius just proved something.” Twilight said kindly, and Trixie puffed up visibly… then the violet unicorn glared at her and made her wilt. “You’re an idiot. Of course she knows!”

“Twilight Sparkle, we are not all as omnipresent as you are.” the pale-blue unicorn said sulkily. “You three won’t trust me with your stories, therefore Trixie must use her detective skills to figure out what has happened, but it is not easily done.”

At this, Luna glanced over at Scrivener with a mischievous look in her eye, nudging him firmly and saying easily: “Tell Trixie a story.”

Scrivy sighed at this, then he looked meditative as he sipped at his tea before he tilted his head to the side, showing his scarring clearly off. “Celestia did this to me.”

“So Celestia is evil! I knew it!” Trixie trumpeted… and the three ponies shook their heads slowly, which caused the female to slouch and grumble… before she brightened again. “Trixie knows! Celestia is really Nightmare Moon! ‘Twas why the pony in the sky that appeared to be Celestia was so strange-looking!”

“Oh by the Horses of Heaven art thou serious?” Luna asked disgustedly, as both Scrivener and Twilight smiled despite themselves… and then stared when Luna jumped to her hooves as black and blue flames washed over her body, transforming into the image of the terrible, dark equine as she shouted: “I am Nightmare Moon!”

Trixie shrieked and reared away before she fell onto her back, kicking over her mug of tea… and Luna rolled her eyes with a grumble as her body glowed faintly before her starry mane twisted around her form in a swirl that grew smaller and dissipated even as it spun, until Luna was left standing back in her normal form, her mane and tail swishing backwards as she said dryly: “Little Trixie, I shan’t accept thee as my student… unless thou passes a very simple entrance exam.”

Trixie winced a bit, but then she scrambled up, nodding fervently before she stared as Twilight Sparkle tilted her head forwards, her horn glowing and eyes closed, and a moment later the mug the pale-blue unicorn had knocked over repaired itself as the liquid simply vanished. Then Luna cleared her throat, and Trixie quickly returned her attention to the tall female, who loomed overtop Trixie… then grinned slowly and said easily: “Thou must lift Scrivener Blooms ten feet into the air. But ten feet, that ‘tis all… and thou may have as many tries as thy wishes.”

Trixie blinked, then she laughed and grinned, saying easily: “So the Great and Powerful Trixie sees that you must indeed want her as a student, only you are too proud to ask of such a noble and obviously-talented unicorn, so… wait, why… why are you laughing at me?”

Luna was grinning widely and Twilight was giggling away as Scrivener grumbled a bit, then he turned to head for the doorway, calling irritably over his shoulder: “Oh, you’ll see, Trixie. Come on, then…”

Trixie shrugged a bit, but then huffed as Luna and Twilight both put their mugs aside and climbed to their hooves, the former heading for the door and the latter following after giving her an encouraging: “Good luck.”

“Trixie the Great and Powerful needs not luck for this.” Trixie said grumpily as she trotted after Twilight, then she squeaked and leapt to the side when Sammy skittered past, bumping into the wall, and wheezing at the sight of the skeletal beast before grumbling again and wincing as she looked up and realized her hat was missing… but instead she only sighed and continued forwards, cloak fluttering around her as she muttered: “It’s almost an insulting challenge, really…”

Then she blinked stupidly as she saw Luna standing with her horn lowered and touching Scrivener’s forehead, the male grimacing a little as his body glowed with a quiet blue aura for a moment before Trixie asked nervously: “What… is going on?”

“Oh, well, thou continues to run thy mouth so loudly about a proper challenge, I only wished to make it so.” Luna said sweetly, her features almost innocent except for the mischief in her eyes. “Go ahead, move Scrivener Blooms now… if thou can.”

Trixie grumbled at this as Twilight and Luna stood to the side, and Scrivener sighed and sat down on the target spot as the pale-blue unicorn strode towards him before standing straight and tall, looking at the large earth pony almost imperiously before she grinned as her horn glowed, and the same faint light surrounded the male before she cried: “Then watch in awe as the Great and Powerful Trixie lifts him not ten feet, not a hundred feet, but-”

And as Trixie began to raise her head and lift with telekinesis at the same time, she felt a horrible weight of force shove firmly down on her back, her spine creaking loudly and her eyes bulging as her teeth clacked together, wheezing out of her nostrils before she rasped: “Crick! Crick in Trixie’s back!”

She fumbled the telekinetic hold, releasing Scrivener from where he was floating less than an inch off the ground… and he grunted as he landed back on the earth, Trixie wheezing as she collapsed forwards… but although her back was still aching, the pressure and force was entirely gone, and she whined loudly: “The Great and Powerful Trixie demands an explanation for this bull-”

Then she coughed as Luna leaned down over her with one eyebrow quirked, and instead she grinned dumbly before saying weakly: “Perhaps I should try again?”

“Perhaps so, but lift with thy legs, not with thy back.” Luna said almost kindly, and then she walked back over to Twilight Sparkle, turning around and saying meditatively, as the female slowly began to pick herself up. “I doubt that she can figure this out. Yet all the same… if she does, I will not renege on my promise. Does thou understand?”

“I guess so, but Trixie’s…” Twilight grimaced a little bit as Trixie gritted her teeth and concentrated, leaning forwards and hissing in effort as a bright aura surrounded Scrivener Blooms, and he slowly began to lift into the air… and then Trixie yelled in frustration and fell forwards on her face after managing only a foot or so, the female breathing hard. “Whether I feel sorry for her or not… whether I sympathize with her or not… whether she’s talented or not, even… she’s still an idiot. And either you or I will kill her if we have to spend a long period of time with her.”

“Nay, I believe in second chances very strongly, Twilight Sparkle, especially for those who prove themselves worthy of it…” Luna paused, then grinned when Trixie howled in frustration from the ground before laying flat, trying to lift Scrivener Blooms again as if she thought this would help support her somehow, and wheezing as she was almost physically crushed into the earth as the bored-looking earth pony was lifted only a few feet off the ground. “Besides, this is most amusing. Although by now I’m sure Celestia would have turned her to stone.”

“You’re mean and evil sometimes, Luna.” Twilight remarked, and Luna gave her a touched look before the unicorn sighed when Trixie rolled around in frustration on the ground, mussing up her cloak as she muttered: “I almost want to give her a hint.”

“Oh, let her figure it out for herself, I wish to see if she truly does have any talent in this field.” Luna said mildly, and then they both watched as Trixie grumbled and leapt to her hooves, stalking back and forth before her horn began to glow, intensifying into a bright candle… and then she lashed her head upwards with a yell, and Scrivener yelped as he was thrown about half the distance needed into the air… but Trixie was shoved face-first down into the ground, crunching painfully into the grasses and knocking herself senseless.

Luna threw her head back and laughed loudly as Scrivener picked himself dumbly up off the ground, wincing and carefully walking forwards to peer down at the stunned unicorn… and Twilight sighed a little, looking mildly at Luna’s merriment for a moment before Trixie managed to pick herself up, tears of frustration beginning to build in her eyes. “I refuse to fail this test! Trixie will not fail again!”

She cursed under her breath, and her horn began to glow brightly again… but then Trixie shoved her hooves against the ground and dropped her head forwards, clenching her eyes shut as she forced herself to stop for a moment. Luna’s laughter died off, interest growing in her eyes as Trixie began to pace slowly, almost predatorily, around Scrivener Blooms… and then she strode up in front of him, peering into his eyes and making the male wince back a bit.

Trixie poked firmly at his neck and his body, and now Luna was giving her a flat glare behind her back, disliking the contact the unicorn was making as Twilight cleared her throat loudly, trying to get the attention of one of the two females… but both ignored her, before Trixie leapt back and declared: “I have figured the puzzle out! No pony turns another’s skills against themselves better than Trixie the Great and Powerful!”

And with that, Trixie looked towards the Everfree Forest… and a moment later, several large vines snaked out from the trees, Scrivener looking dumbly at these before they wrapped around the earth pony and experimentally tugged him upwards… and although Trixie flinched in expected pain, it didn’t come as he was slowly lifted off the ground, making her squeal in delight as she rose her head, and the vines carried Scrivy up into the air, five, ten, fifteen, more feet…

Twilight gave a quiet ‘huh,’ of both surprise and interest… and Luna nodded thoughtfully after a moment as Trixie turned around, bowing back and forth with a loud laugh before she leapt up on her rear legs, spreading her front limbs and declaring: “See? No pony is better than Trixie the Great and Powerful!”

Then Scrivener fell loudly to the ground behind her with a smack, and the earth pony groaned as the vines untangled themselves, Trixie wincing a bit over her shoulder before Luna said mildly: “Oh, he shall be fine, worry not. Poor daydreamer takes such blows and worse on a daily basis now.”

Luna strode forwards, looking meditatively over the unicorn as Trixie looked up at her, breathing hard, grinning proudly but imploring with her eyes… and after a moment, the winged unicorn finally gave a short nod of approval, saying mildly: “Very well, Trixie. If thou art honest about thy commitment to learning real magic… then we shall see if thy art but a braggart or if thou does have true potential… and whether thine emblem is rightly earned or was falsely given to thee by a fluke of the Horses of Heaven.”

“No, no, Trixie is eager to prove that she truly is the greatest of all unicorns in Equestria!” the female responded quickly as she gazed up at Luna, all-but-bouncing on the spot as she grinned over at Twilight Sparkle. “Now, now that Trixie has learned the source of your powers, Twilight Sparkle, now that we’ll be under the same tutor, don’t expect to ever be able to nearly defeat me again!”

“I’m going to hurt you one day, Trixie. I’m going to hurt you very badly.” Twilight said dourly, and the female grinned awkwardly before she glanced to the side as her blush deepened at the sight of Scrivener Blooms trudging past her, Twilight making a face at the vines still tangled around the male and his unkempt, dusty look before her horn glowed, pulling the former off and smoothing down his frame as she muttered: “Come on, Scrivy, don’t look so grumpy, at least Trixie probably won’t be able to actually hurt you.”

“Yes, well, now we have another unicorn who likes to throw magic around, that’s just wonderful.” Scrivener grumbled as he allowed Twilight to use her abilities to clean him up a bit… and then Luna stepped up to his side, muttering something in his ear before she kissed the side of his neck gently, and Scrivener snorted in amusement as Trixie only looked curiously at the three, before she made a face as the male glanced towards her and said dryly: “Well, on the bright side, we won’t be starting in earnest until tomorrow. Trixie, Twilight, I’ll walk you two back to Ponyville.”

“Trixie does not wish to return to Ponyville, Trixie is ready to learn!” the unicorn whined… and then she winced when Luna glared at her, shrinking back a bit before the winged unicorn huffed and strode off towards the cabin with her head raised, and Trixie muttered: “Very well, Trixie can take a hint. I suppose I should settle in with Twilight Sparkle, anyway.”

She paused, then smiled brightly over at the violet unicorn, who grumbled under her breath… then finally nodded and sighed before she glanced towards the cabin as Luna disappeared into it, saying awkwardly: “I just… need to go get my things.”

With that, Twilight quickly slid away from the two, Trixie beginning to try and follow… but Scrivener simply cleared his throat and gave her a flat look, and Trixie huffed but halted, saying distastefully: “The Great and Powerful Trixie was not going to interfere, only… quietly watch and help if she could with whatever is obviously bothering Luna. The Great and Powerful Trixie’s detective skills have determined that Twilight has upset her somehow.”

“You’re an idiot.” Scrivener said dryly, and Trixie huffed at him before he added mildly: “You also need to calm down a little more. And to stop referring to yourself in the third person. I don’t call myself the Mighty and Eccentric Scrivener Blooms, after all, and Luna isn’t the… Scary and Magnificent.”

“Luna speaks in old-pony language, Twilight Sparkle uses words that Trixie has difficulty comprehending, and every word out of your mouth seems to be sarcastic. You will put up with Trixie’s poetic method of speech if she puts up with all of yours.” the female replied irritably, looking at him with a pout.

Scrivener grumbled under his breath, tapping a hoof against the ground and only hoping Twilight would hurry up, tossing a sour look in the direction of the pale blue unicorn and musing on how long or short a time it would take before Luna lost her temper and pummeled Trixie worse than she pummeled the Pegasus Guards.