• Published 29th May 2021
  • 1,330 Views, 32 Comments

Super Sonic Rainboom - Starkeeper_Ponyfic



Rainbow Dash adopts Sonic the Hedgehog and raises him through the events of Friendship is Magic.

  • ...
3
 32
 1,330

Chapter 4: The Nightmare Returns

Sonic woke to a series of gentle nudges. He yawned and opened his eyes to see Spike.

“Good, you’re awake!” Spike said. “C’mon, it’s time to watch the sunrise!”

Sonic nodded and stretched before taking the cupcake Spike offered and scarfed it down quickly.

“Thank you,” Sonic allowed as he and Spike joined the crowd of ponies heading toward Town Hall.

Spike frowned. “...I really hope Twilight’s wrong about what’s gonna happen today.”

Sonic asked, “What does she think is gonna happen?”

Spike shook his head. “It’s... probably nothing. Just an old mare’s tale about some kind of Mare in the Moon.”

“I’m sure Mama can handle it! She’s awesome!” Sonic encouraged Spike. “Or Princess Cele-sti-a!”

Spike thought about it and nodded. “Yeah, Princess Celestia has kept Equestria safe for a thousand years. She... should be able to handle it if it’s real... Right?” he murmured uncertainly. Sonic gave Spike a side hug and Spike smiled. “Well, if it’s anything like the comics there’ll definitely be some heroes popping up. Guess we don’t have a reason to really worry!”

Sonic nodded.

Once the doors to the town hall closed, Mayor Mare stepped up. She cleared her throat and said proudly, “Fillies and gentlecolts, as mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration!”

A massive cheer erupted from the crowd.

Mayor Mare raised a hoof to quiet the crowd and continued, “In just a few moments, our town will witness the magic of the sunrise, and celebrate this, the longest day of the year! And now, it is my great honor to introduce to you the ruler of our land, the very pony who gives us the sun and the moon each and every day, the good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria...”

Sonic shot a glance over at Twilight, who was staring outside worriedly. He watched her flinch as something happened outside.

“...Princess Celestia!” Mayor Mare declared. Fluttershy’s bird choir began a chorus as Rarity opened the curtains.

Nothing happened. Fluttershy quieted her birds as Rarity ducked into the room.

“This can’t be good,” Twilight murmured, while Spike and Sonic echoed her sentiment. Sonic whimpered, and Spike patted his shoulder with a smile.

“Remain calm, everypony!” Mayor Mare insisted. “I’m sure there’s a perfectly reasonable-”

“She’s gone!” Rarity announced.

A peal of thunder split the room. Dark blue fog streamed in as an evil voice cackled.

Twilight whispered fearfully, “No... Nononononono...”

A dark alicorn dressed in steel blue regalia formed from the fog.

“Oh, my beloved subjects. It’s been... so long since I’ve seen all your precious little sun-loving faces,” she sighed with a wicked grin.

“What did you do with our princess!?” Rainbow demanded, jumping into the air. Applejack pulled her back by her tail.

“Ain’t nothing good gonna come for her if ya go ‘n’ get yerself killed,” she whispered harshly.

The alicorn scoffed. “Why, am I not royal enough for you? Don't you know who I am?” she asked, leering at the crowd.

Pinkie hopped up. “Um, I dunno, but I can guess! Um, Hokey Smokes! How about... Queen Meanie! No! Black Snooty!”

The alicorn rolled her eyes as Pinkie babbled on. Applejack shoved a muffin in Pinkie’s mouth to shut her up. A tiny light smirk graced the alicorn’s lips before she recovered and taunted, “Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years? Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?”

Twilight narrowed her eyes and stepped forward. “I did!” she proclaimed. “And I know who you are. You're the Mare in the Moon – Nightmare Moon!”

Sonic gulped and got a bit closer to Spike.

Nightmare Moon raised a mildly approving eyebrow. “Well, well, well, somepony who remembers me. Then you must also know why I'm here.”

Twilight froze. “You're here to... to...” she gulped, unable to finish as a crowdful of eyes locked onto her.

“Remember this day, little ponies,” Nightmare Moon commanded, “for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last forever!” Lightning flashed as the alicorn cackled.

Mayor Mare recovered from her terror and ordered the stunned guards, “Seize her! Only she knows where the princess is!”

The guards, taking the orders gratefully, flew in to strike.

“FOOLS!” Nightmare Moon roared, her eyes flashing white.

Lightning blazed through the air, downing the guards. Sonic winced as he saw them crash to the ground. A memory drifted into his head that he hadn’t experienced and didn’t remember but somehow still wanted to forget. A wisp of someone else’s menacing laughter made him feel sick with fear.

He shook his head, clearing the memory- or vision- and checked his surroundings. If he got enough speed heading to that column, kicked off at that position, and balanced a run on that banner, he might be able to get in a strike on Nightmare Moon while she was distracted-

“Oh, no you don’t,” Spike hissed, gripping Sonic’s arm tightly. “I’m not letting you get yourself hurt.”

Sonic sighed and nodded. “Sorry, I... I just... feel like I need to, for some reason. I dunno-” his quiet explanation was cut off by a wisp of blue smoke racing out and Rainbow rushing after it with a fierce demand to return.

“Mama, wait!” Sonic panicked, racing out after her.

Rainbow turned and sighed, wrapping Sonic in a hug. “It’s okay, Sonic. I’m not gonna go after her alo-”

Twilight interrupted Rainbow by barreling out of the town hall and rushing toward the library. Spike was on her back.

“...Where’s she going?” Rainbow wondered.

“Why don’t we find out?” Applejack suggested as she exited with Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie in tow.

Sonic and Rainbow nodded.


Sonic bore witness to what Spike quietly described as a “Twilight Freakout.” She was racing around the library, yanking books out of every shelf.

“Elements... Nightmare Moon... ugh, where are they? How do I find out about the Elements of Harmony?”

Fluttershy spoke up. “Um, T-Twilight, what a-are the Elements of H-Har-Harmony?”

“And how did you know about Nightmare Moon!?” Rainbow demanded.

Twilight froze, having missed their arrival. She looked at the confused, worried, and angry faces and sighed.

“...I read all about the prediction of Nightmare Moon,” Twilight explained hesitantly. “Some mysterious objects called the Elements of Harmony are the only things that can stop her, but I don't know what they are, or where to find them! I don't even know what they do!

“‘Elements of Harmony,’ huh?” Pinkie pondered. “Did you check under ‘E’?”

Twilight groaned in disappointment. “...Why was that not the first thing I thought of?”

Pinkie, Sonic, and Spike shared a giggle.

Twilight rolled her eyes and searched the titles before pulling out a thick book. “The Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide... This passage seems relevant. ‘There are six Elements of Harmony, but only five are known. These Elements are Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty and Loyalty. The sixth Element is a complete mystery. It is said that the last known location of the five elements was in the ancient castle of the royal pony sisters. It is located in what is now... the Everfree Forest.’”

“Th-the-the Ever-fr-free F-fo-forest?” Fluttershy stammered, trembling.

Rainbow offered a comforting wing and looked at Sonic. “I know you’re going to go, and probably gonna bring Spike, right?”

Twilight shared a look with Spike and nodded. “Only because I saw him taking a nap with Sonic during the party. Otherwise I’d make him stay here to get some sleep.” Spike chuckled.

“Then I’m going with you,” Rainbow stated firmly. “Sonic and Spike bonded during that party, and I’m not letting Sonic go off without me.”

“And Ah better make sure Rainbow doesn’t go ‘n’ do somethin’ stupid,” Applejack chuckled.

Rarity sighed. “Oh, why not? I’m coming too, darlings.”

Twilight tried to protest, but Pinkie placed a hoof on her mouth. “C’mon, Twibright!”

“It’s Twilight.

“Sorry! Twilight! Right! Point is, I’m going with ya too! Not gonna let my best buds go off for an adventure party without me!” Pinkie declared.

Fluttershy sighed. “I-If you’re all going... then I-I’m going too!”

Twilight sighed. “There’s no way I’m talking you all out of this, is there?”

“Nope!” they said in unison.

Twilight sighed. “Fine, I guess.”

She planted Spike on her back and stormed out with a lantern gripped in her magic. Rainbow let Sonic on her back and flew after Twilight, and Fluttershy joined her in flight, albeit slower. Applejack kept a brisk, steady trot, Rarity walked with flair and overpracticed grace, and Pinkie giddily hopped after with a proclamation of “This is gonna be fun!”

It didn’t take long to reach the edge of the Everfree Forest, and Twilight halted before entering.

“Are you sure you want to come?” she asked, obviously expecting at least one of them to say no.

“We ain’t lettin’ our friend go in the Everfree Forest alone!” Applejack insisted.

“It’s too dangerous for that even in the day!” Rainbow agreed. “Who knows what’ll be lurking in there at night, ready to attack a pony on her own!”

Sonic yelped, and Fluttershy and Applejack sent death glares Rainbow’s way.

She gulped nervously. “W-Which is why we aren’t letting you go alone! There’s no way we can’t take on whatever’s in that forest together!” she added quickly while giving Sonic a reassuring hug.

Fluttershy sighed. “Adrenaline junkie,” she muttered in frustration under her breath, to Rarity’s shock.

“I must say, Fluttershy,” Rarity remarked, “that was quite... assertive of you!”

Fluttershy shrugged. “I’ve known Rainbow for so long, she’s like a sister to me,” she explained. “It’s easier to be assertive with her than with most ponies.”

Rarity considered her words and nodded with a smile as they walked into the forest.