• Published 11th Apr 2021
  • 932 Views, 12 Comments

You, Me, and Cozy - bahatumay



Wallflower wants to go out with Sunset. It's... harder than it seems.

  • ...
2
 12
 932

Shelter Skelter

Wallflower rubbed the leaves through the bag as she approached the animal shelter. Part of her felt a little bit used, but part of her felt needed, and that was nice.

Another part of her was wondering if she was being used and enjoying it, and what that could mean. Probably nothing good.

So it was a welcome diversion to see Fluttershy come out, carrying a couple bags of trash. “Hey, Fluttershy,” Wallflower started.

“Eep!” Fluttershy squeaked, dropping the bags.

Wallflower forced a smile.

Fluttershy quickly recovered, her cheeks tinging pink. “I’m so sorry, Wallflower. I didn’t see you there.”

“It’s fine,” Wallflower said instinctively, helping her pick them up and carry them to the dumpster.

“You’re here a little early,” Fluttershy said. “Sunset isn’t here yet.”

Wallflower choked. Did everyone know? “I didn’t-” she started. “I mean… I have the nepeta cataria you wanted,” she said quickly, holding out the bag.

“Oh, wonderful,” Fluttershy said, taking it. “The cats are going to love this.” She looked over Wallflower’s shoulder. “Oh!” she said pleasantly.

Wallflower turned to see Sunset riding her motorcycle, with a smaller girl holding on tight, her arms wrapped around her waist.

Wallflower found herself suddenly wishing she needed a ride somewhere.

Cozy Glow pulled off her helmet, her curls somehow still looking immaculate even after the trip. “Golly,” she said appreciatively. “That was some ride!”

Sunset chuckled.

“So glad you two could make it,” Fluttershy said. “Come on in.”

They made their way into the back room. Various animals were scattered around, and a cat meowed.

Cozy recoiled at the sound. “Oh, I don’t like cats,” she said, her lip twitching up.

“You don’t?” Fluttershy asked, surprised.

“I’m allergic,” she explained.

Sunset frowned. “Cozy, why didn’t you say something earlier?”

Cozy’s lower lip jutted out as she tried to pull on a shaky smile. “I mean, you wanted to come here, and I didn’t want to say no…”

“It’s fine,” Sunset said quickly. “I’m sure we can find something else for you to do.”

“How good are you at sewing?” Fluttershy offered.

“I’m pretty good,” Cozy said, brightening slightly. She pulled at her dress. “I made this.”

“Then I think a cat toy will be no problem,” Fluttershy said.

Before long, they were hard at work, with the older girls cleaning and socializing with the animals while Cozy sewed small cat toys with catnip inside.

And then Fluttershy’s phone vibrated. “Oh, that’s important,” she said, biting her lower lip. “Sunset, could you help me with a food pickup?”

“Sure. Wallflower, you good here?”

“Yep,” Wallflower said instinctively.

And with that, she was left alone with Cozy Glow.

She watched her leave and bit her lower lip. Not exactly what she’d planned for today. She glanced over at Cozy.

Cozy gave her a winning smile.

As Wallflower cleaned the various cages, she found herself talking to the animals. It was no worse than talking to her plants. “I mean, I get that she’s friends with Fluttershy, but why didn’t she invite me to go along, too?” she murmured.

“Probably because you’re such a loser.”

Wallflower spun around. “What?”

Cozy looked startled. She held up the cat toy she was working on. “The hole’s because a stitch is loose here?” she said confusedly. “I was just thinking out loud, I didn’t mean to bother you.”

Wallflower shook her head. “I’m sorry. I thought… never mind.”

“Are you sure you’re alright?” Cozy asked, shifting to concern.

Have you ever been?

“Yeah,” Wallflower said. “I’m going to... grab some water.” With that, she spun around and quickly walked out.

Once outside, she leaned against the wall and pressed her fists against her forehead. Come on, Wallflower, get it together.

Thankfully, the rest of the day went smoothly; Fluttershy and Sunset soon returned with the bags of food and drinks for Wallflower and Cozy. Sunset had brightened the room just by being there, and Wallflower was quickly feeling better.

That faded slightly when they had to leave. Cozy slid the helmet on and wrapped her arms tightly around Sunset’s waist and-

It almost looked like she was smirking again?

Wallflower shook her head. She was definitely overthinking things, but if she had her way, she’d be the one wrapped around Sunset.

The walk home seemed to take a little longer than the walk there.