• Published 6th Apr 2021
  • 251 Views, 2 Comments

Fault Beyond Reason - PettyPonyDearest



Somewhere into the distance echoes cries from a mountainside cave, where the never-ending white brick has been reformed into intricate entryways. Somewhere further still, in some obscure unit of distance, a creature cries out.

  • ...
 2
 251

Out Of The Fault And Into The Gorge

With a certain grim fatigue clouding the bald, lost, and now propless Slotted Spoon, he contemplated his long fall into the pit and the (once again) new surroundings he found himself sitting in.

The plateau he found himself sat was large and spacious, with a large overhang made of slate curving up overhead. It seemed more a hall than a plateau, with rusted suits of armor jutting out of the bricks, here and there. They were large and bulky suits of armor, not at all like the light and quick armors that most employed in battle, they looked to be about as old as time itself.

Slotted brought himself to his feet and wandered close to one of the ledges that seemed to plunge ever-downward. He leered down for a moment but instantly recoiled and fell on his rump.

He looked around;

The slate floor was covered with dust and webs, with the odd pile of bones scattered around. Spiders, both dead and alive, were scattered around the place. Some had weaved their webs in the helmets of the armor, while others scuttled about, running over the bones. The suits of armor were not the only things here.

The pony ghosts stood out more than the armor or the spiders. They were translucent and faintly luminescent, hovering about in and around their old armor. They floated in silence, some holding swords and pikes, some with hooves some without. They stood at attention, as if waiting for a battle that would never come. The ghosts seemed to be guarding something.

Having fallen a great long way, and being surprised that he survived the fall to boot, Slotted Spoon (With some exceptional effort) attempted to take in his surroundings.

"Uhhh, as I can about figure it, well obviously...for various reasons there's some... well, uhhhh.... obviously there's this deal here with the armor and uhhh, of course that it, the armor not being empty, being that there's some kind of glow-y ponies and Uhhhh AHHH!! There's spiders! Of course you know 'Ahhh' to the ghosts too, which uhhh seem to be uhhh-Well what do you know about that there distance that I felled. I mean I falled, or rather uhhhh- I fallen....for obvious reasons. For various reasons and uhhhh... I seem to be uh- getting one of those headaches, and uhh Phew! You and me both for various and obvious reasons! Now uhhh, I've had- uhh, I've had uhhh... a concussion... before. And this, well, being that I'm concussed, feels like my judgment not being as impaired as I oughta, be... one. I mean that's probably what it is, right? For obvious reasons. You know, I don't think I uhhh, I've uhhh, ever... falled off a cliff before. Can cross that off my 'to-do' list,, of course being that I lost my paper and stick I uhhhhhhhhh. UUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

"You're not making sense. Are you alright?"

"Uhhh, yeah, yeah, I'm right fine. Actually, I do feel weird though. Uhhh, A bit tingly actually, like that's uhhh, I feel like that time I ate some jalapenos that I didn't know were old and uhhhh... Hey wait a minute! Are you..."

Slotted Spoon pokes at one of the old suits of armor and in return, the ghost pokes at Slotted Spoon with his sword, separating his spirit from his body for a split second. "AAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!.......... Uhhh."

Which was quite confusing for Mr.Spoon.

A small ball of light goes through Slotted as if he wasn't there in the first place and the suits of armor around him all crumble to pieces as if they weren't there in the first place. The spirits seem to dissipate with their suits and in a hush cyclone of light, Slotted Spoon reels from the encounter.

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-"

As Slotted Spoon mused amid his plight, he felt a slight rumble behind him and he spun to face a red pegasus who had watched this entire spectacle unfold before her eyes, agape.

She stares with a Slotted Spoon with a gawking expression, her wings ruffled in the alert, they seem to twitch nervously as Slotted Spoons ‘uhs’ echo into the ruins of the castling cosmos above and below.

After some time, his echoing ‘uhs’ subsides and some debris falls from an adjacent wall somewhere.

After a significant pause, Slotted Spoon remembers himself and sees fit for an introduction.

“Uhhhhhhhhhhh- you are! That is, you, I mean - Who. Are you? You are-who- -youknow-forobviousreasons your name of course....are you a name?” Slotted Spoon managed to ask, with some effort.

She tried flapping her muzzle. But nothing came out.

She inched towards the pony before her. She hadn't heard another creature speak for quite some time and warily approached.

The red pegasus found herself captivated by the uncomfortable "Uhhs" that she was inadvertently causing. She twitched in surprise at each syllable uttered. Her eyes widen even further and her feathers poof up to an absurd level of poof.

The seriousness of the pegasus’ expression, was partially hidden by her frazzled feathers and she took one step back, as-if, to retreat.

“You! That is, wait, I mean- wait, you!” Slotted Spoon yelled. She seemed to comply but not through any force of sheer will, the pegasus seemed terrified and not likely to move.

“Oh no, uhhh it’s okay, I mean it’s good to see you pegasusi- uhhh I mean that is, you’re a pegasuses, or si, or whave have you for obvious reasons, which I see, because you know for various reasons...You’re... Hi. Hi, is what I mean. I’m not a pegasus. I’m a pony. I mean not a pony, you’re a pony. But, in the case of saying, that , I mean you know uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Hi….for obvious reasons, I mean, that is-I’m Slotted Spoon for long, or Slotted for short...I bet you have a name, right? Is it short? I mean the name, that is….uhh,, uhhh- I knew you had one, I just uhhh, didn’t know what it was, uhhh-forbviousreasons.” Slotted spoon muses, as he stretches out his hoof for a shake or a bump.

When prompted with a lack of response, he extends her a smile to match his wit. Not so good.

The red pegasus, although wary, takes a few steps forward, seeming to try to keep lower to the ground. She sniffs his hoof and jerkily draws back when he nervously relents.

“Uhhhhh, are you shy or stupid? I mean I’m stupid, but I guess I’m learned stupid, I dunno most of the time I’m stupid shy, but are you, uhhh.. Not shy? Or are you me, I mean like me, are you like, stupid or shy? ” Slotted Spoon asks with seriousness.

With a slight hesitation, he extends his hoof again, she sniffs it again, her eyes dart between his eyes and his hoof unsure of what to do. Her head cocks to one side and slowly with her eyes still darting madly about, she pushes the top of her head under his hoof and hesitatingly nuzzles his outstretched hoof. All of her feathers seem to flatten in relief when she feels his touch and Slotted, not knowing what to do, just kind of lets his hoof hang there while she nuzzles it in awe.

“Uhhhhhhhhhh- yeah. So anyway…” Slotted Spoon (Not surprisingly) also doesn't know what to say.

The pegasus suddenly pulls away and trots in a little circle, before flashing her wingspan a few times, cocking her head to the side questioningly as she paces a slow circle, eyeing the pony curiously.

“Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ..... okay well, I’ll call you Bill, mister. Uhhhh, the situation being Mister, I mean, uh Bill...as such, you know for obvious reasons, Mister Bill, is that where I was, uhhh, wasn’t ,-... now. Soooo, uhhhh, where we are is where we are, now. So maybe you know, the uhhhhh, togetherness, ours I mean.. Also where we are, that being... uh where? Where is it? Where we are. Of course, for obvious reasons.”

The pegasus Bill, flutters her wings and lays them at her side she looks at Slotted Spoon with an unrivaled admiration.

Slotted Spoon noted to himself that he probably looked as though he was very plain. He had lost his mane in a crawling parasprite attack and being that he was white, he thought briefly that he must've looked odd. But now that he comes to think of it, a cool breeze on the noggin never hurt anybody and it didn’t look like there was anypony around to impress because, for miles up or down, there seemed to be no sign of life at all, given the conclusions he had made while falling down the enormous chasm...

His thoughts of self-reflection quelled when at last, he took in her appearance;

Her mane was an even deeper red than her own coat, and instead of her feathers being mainly on her wings, like a normal pegasus they seemed to cover her entire body from head to hoof. Her feathers had a two-toned red color that tapered off into a lighter color at the ends and seemed to be almost sharp to the touch... Her wings looked absurdly powerful for a mare her size. Were it not for the abundant feathers, they almost looked like gigantic hands that drooped from her body and looked as though each of her wingtips was enormous and independent digits.

"Uhhhhhhhh-" Slotted Spoon remarks.

Bill chuffs once, and happily trots around Slotted Spoon, giving him a nudge in the hind-quarters, whilst her wings seemed to be distracted with probing his mouth and bald head with their odd dexterity.

He thought of making a suggestion of collaborating in some way to help their particular situation.

He thought of asking her where he was.

He thought of chuffing back.

He thought of asking how she got here.

But he really couldn’t say.

Author's Note:

tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired too-

Other Author's Notes: You can doze off if you want to, I'm not stopping you. Actually, I took so long to write this update that the 4 AM alarm is replacing you. So thank my inability to spell correctly and remember the vivid details of a fictional world I created instead of getting more sleep. Good night!