• Published 5th Apr 2021
  • 384 Views, 2 Comments

Access Will be Granted - 9spaceking



In a world where everyone wakes up with powers on their 18th birthday, I woke up with "Access Will be Granted".

  • ...
2
 2
 384

Access Will be Granted

My hooves galloped against the carpet as I narrowly dodged a bullet behind me, adrenaline pumping through my veins. I found myself at a dead end while my pursuers followed behind the corner turn. I was against the TASER user, the ASSASSIN man, and the NEGOTIATOR. "We've got you now, you have nowhere to run!" The NEGOTIATOR stated. But I smirked as they lifted their guns towards me, and pointed my hoof at the wall. I whispered the key words, as the invisible locks turned and the concrete cracked open with a door silhouette, giving way to my exit.

You're probably wondering what's going on. Let me explain from the start.

On everyone's 18th birthday, they get their powers for the rest of their life. It seems simple until you try to see what the power is. I woke up to a confusing screen that stated: "Congratulations on your power! Access Will be Granted."

What the hell? I rubbed my eyes, but it didn't change. Did I have to wait more for details on my powers? As the screen disappeared when I sat down for breakfast, I asked my parents: "...my power didn’t seem to tell what it was... any insight?"

They shrugged, my father answering: "Powers work in mysterious ways. Your own dad's and mom's powers were much simpler: super strength and flying. Maybe more information will come soon." I then went on to my friends, but they had never seen a power like this before. As I continually complained, however, I realized that saying the words triggered... something. Perhaps those were the actual trigger words? I knew some people who had specific word related powers --

"I can get into any entrance using OPEN SESAME!" Tommie had said.

"I can make objects smaller than my palm appear with ABRACADABRA~~" his friend Jamie stated.

These kids had to say their powers out loud. These two words were a bit esoteric, but it was certainly worth a try...

As I stood in a general fighting stance in my room, I spread my hoof out with drama and flair as I said: "Access will be granted!" I sensed a click, and my laptop which had been closed was now logged in. Well that clarified things a lot. But couldn’t the power just say something similar to HACKING if it only involved going into computers? I tried again. As I pointed towards my locked door, it clicked open. "Well, that seemed obvious as well." I rolled my eyes. But then I tried the wall, which revealed an opening to the next room. With impressed eyes, I noticed the concrete lifted off as if a door had always been there. Interested, I decided I had to experiment more.

The next day as I sat in class, bored with the lecture, I whispered underneath my breath, "access will be granted", as I tried targeting a specific person. At first, nothing seemed to happen. However, it was by coincidence that the person was someone who was bullied often. As she tried to open up her locker, with it jammed and the perpetrators giggling by the side, I sensed it turning in my mind, and opening still. As the bullying mares were astonished by the seeming stroke of luck, the mare continued on her business as usual. They spotted me lurking by suspiciously, and eyed me with a glare, but couldn't prove anything as they didn't know me well enough to ask me about my power.

There was one last experiment I wanted to do. I could manipulate physical access, but what about mental? I took my parents' car on a 20 minute ride. I nervously tapped the steering wheel while biting my lips. I rang the door bell, and was greeted my grandfather, who had been ailed with Alzheimer’s. Even the best healers couldn’t resolve this issue -- standard regeneration abilities didn't work on mental illnesses. And no pony had ever heard someone able to regain memory. With low hope, I reluctantly pointed at his head, stating: “Access will be granted.” At first, he stood still, but I felt something turn in his head, as electricity surged through his brain. And suddenly his eyes lit up with a spark. He remembered everything that he had forgotten.

"Ah, my dentures! How could I have left behind something so simple!" He laughed, face-hoofing his forehead. I hugged him as he excitedly talked about what he had forgotten over the last days, wondering what was going on. And that was when told him about my power. The system wasn't saying that I couldn't see my power, the system was saying the name of the power itself, which gave access based upon what intentions. He was astonished that I got so lucky and wished me luck in my future ventures.

As I wandered home, I talked with my parents about my future. They debated a bit about medical versus police work, but I decided I was more interested in using my brain. I had watched so many real criminal shows and it was an honor to work with the super heroes to take down super villains. I wanted to work for a company that involved security or perhaps investigation. But I had discovered through my power that this corporation had hidden unwanted information about their corruption. Of course, I didn’t want to help them. They cut off the usual exit, but I managed to find the edge of the building quickly. So there I was. The TASER stallion glared at me, the ASSASSIN regaining his position, and the bullets hitting the wall. As I walked through my exit, the malicious men cursed me and could only watch on as I shut the door and waved them goodbye.

In my career, I would later have great trouble with a man with really strange reality warping powers. The mare I helped before in school would be the perfect complement to my power... but I'm getting way ahead of myself. Let’s just say… Access Will be Granted.

Comments ( 2 )

Is there going to be more?

Ok yeah, I definitely want more of this...

Login or register to comment