• Published 26th Apr 2021
  • 526 Views, 2 Comments

Silent Artemis - Hokusai3211



In the midst of a spree of vicious murders, Ponyville is gripped in terror, the Royal guard are clutching at straws. Until one day a weather pony named Rainbow Dash stumbles upon a dying creature who may hold the answers, if only she could speak them

  • ...
2
 2
 526

8) Monsters and Scapegoats


“Captain?” Checkers said with another salute so perfect it must have been practiced in front of a mirror for hours and very much had been. “Is there anything in particular I can help you with sir?”

The Captain kept his eyes on Checkers a moment, letting his stare linger on Checkers before nodding, “Well now that you mention it Lieutenant, I suppose I was looking for that mare you’ve been smuggling into your room, I must say Lieutenant, I’d have thought you might have learned from your mistakes in Canterlot, but it seems old habits die hard, aye?”

At that moment, it took most of Checkers willpower to keep the expression of serine indifference he had been holding still, from exploding into fury at the insinuation. But he was a professional after all, so instead he channelled into grinding his teeth.

“If you are referring to Sargent Night Light sir, she is-” he began. But the Captain silenced him with a wave of his hoof.

“I’m not referring to the Moon Chaser, though I’m sure she’s off doing something unsavoury,” the Captain said, with a disapproving glare around the room, as if Night Light was somewhere among them, perhaps she was? “No I meant the mare you’ve been sneaking into my hospital at all hours of the evening, talking to my witness.”

So somepony finally told the old fool, figures. Still took him longer than I expected, if the old idiot actually left his office he’d probably have found out sooner. But still, he was bound to find out eventually.

“With respect sir,” he said, figuring that there was no point beating around the bush on this one, “you told me to get this creature talking, you didn’t say how I had to do it.”

There was a flash of indignation on the older stallion's face for a moment. But as quickly as it arrived it was gone. Instantly replaced by what somepony who didn’t know better, might have mistaken for a friendly smile.

“You think you’re the height of wit don’t you?”

“Only when needed sir.” Checkers said evenly.

“You don’t deny it then, Lieutenant?” The Captain asked, his tone hard and foreboding.

“You would have to be more specific sir, there are plenty of civilian mares and stallions I communicate with daily, nurses and doctors fall under civilians last I checked. ” Checkers said, again deciding that playing stupid had gotten him this far at least.

This time it was the Captains turn to grind his teeth as he glared at Checkers, “Hmm, well if it’s true, then I don’t have to remind you of how much trouble you would be in Lieutenant, not only will you be likely court-martialled for failing to adhere to the chain of command, but possible endangerment charges as well.”

Checkers couldn’t help but smirk at that for a moment. So he doesn’t actually have anything on me, I’m almost disappointed. “Then I’m very glad to have a conscience free of such charg-”

“-not that it would matter in the slightest, however reckless your actions might be.” The Captain said, with a smile that froze Checkers words on his tongue.

Checkers narrowed his eyes just a fraction as he tried to understand his Captain's words, What’s this blustering idiot talking about now?

“Sir?”

The Captain inhaled through his nostrils, before checking down at his pocket watch as if already his time had been inconvenienced. Even though he had clearly come to see Checkers, not the other way around.

“I’m sure you are aware that at some point tomorrow, the emissaries from Griffonia will be arriving in Ponyville?” He said and Checkers could almost palpably feel the smugness radiating from his very being.

“I was... not aware.” Checkers admitted, it was a half truth, he had heard rumblings that the Griffons had been flapping up a storm in the geopolitical scene ever since the creature had been found. Though why they had made such a stink about it Checkers did not actually know, it wasn’t like they were the only species that had suffered under the Rippers reign of terror, but they certainly acted as if they were.

The Griffonian-Equestrian treaty had held for almost a thousand years, but never could it have been said that the two countries actually enjoyed being one another's neighbours. Years of petty jabs, jingoistic call to arms and actual call to arms on more than one occasion left a scar on any working relationship. Didn't help that one neighbour used to regularly hunt and eat his fellow neighbour too back when ponies still ate grass and came in herds.

Not that we ponies are free from past blemishes, as the griffons are quick to remind us of, now that we are all civilised creatures. Checkers considered.

But there was still friction there, enough that even the slightest spark was watched weary, in case it lit the smouldering grudges between the countries up like a bonfire.

Which was why Checkers did not think they would actually go out of their way to send emissaries to Ponyville of all places, especially without the Princess present.

“It seems you’re not quite as informed as you think you are, lieutenant,” he said and his moustache curled up into what could only have been an unnerving smile. Though, it was perhaps only unnerving because Checkers had never actually seen one on the old stallion before.

“So let me be the first to tell you, as of tomorrow, you, and the rest of the team will be relieved from your respective positions on this investigation. We will be transferring all responsibilities and information over to the emissary and by this time tomorrow, they will be taking the creature back to Griffonia with them.” and with that the Captain turned on the spot and began to walk out of the room.

It took all of Checkers years of practice in parades and at attention as a private not to show the visible distress in his face, or the blind fury that followed. As quickly as a flash of lighting in a summer storm, he leapt from the spot he was standing by and teleported around to intercept his captain before he could reach the door.

“You can’t do that.” Checkers said plainly materialising right in front of the Captain, though his wide open eyes seemed to betray his emotions. The other stallions flinched at their post, clearly uncertain as to which pony they would have to subdue and not liking the odds of it being either of them.

He had expected the Captain's face to explode in rage, as it often did when any kind of defiance was uttered in his presence. But it seemed that for once he had learned to keep his anger in check, most likely because he found it more amusing to see Checkers uncomfortable than he did aggravating. “In fact I think you will find that not only can I lieutenant, but because of you I must.”

Checkers fought with every cell in his body to keep his next words from not coming out as a snarl, “And just how did I have some part to play in this, sir?” he finished, spitting out the last part like a cobra spitting venom.

The captain inhaled again and sighed, looking up at a spot on the ceiling.

I’m sorry, is this murder investigation boring you sir? Checkers wanted to scream.

“We all have our part to play in this operation Lieutenant,” the captain said, as he raised his head pacing back and forth as he spoke. “But for you and for this very subject let us just say, that the tension arisen by your ineptitude has left me with little choice but to acquiesce to the demands of others, the enemy of my enemy and so on.”

“I understand that the investigation is taking it’s time sir, but it is going forward, already I've been able to compile a base of understanding with this creature which is the foundation of how we’re going to catch- “

“-Not fast enough for the council back in Canterlot, or the victims for that matter, Lieutenant,” The Captain snapped, leaving Checkers to halt in his explanation.

“B-but, we can’t force these things Captain, why would you hoof over our only lead to them?” Checkers all but beseeched.

The Captain paused for a moment and for a split second Checkers thought he caught the slightest wince at the word them, it seemed when it came to it, the Captain was undecided who he liked less, Checkers or the griffons.

Perhaps it also meant, that this decision wasn’t entirely the Captains as he seemed to be making it out to be.

“Because Lieutenant, we are being attacked on all sides not only by our own public but by Equestrian commerce, nobility and the damned griffons themselves, each looking at us for answers and us unable to provide them with any, in no small thanks to you.” he said emphasizing the point with a jab to Checkers chest.

“So I have extended the olive branch,” he continued on, “ in a show of good favour, they will be leading the investigation as the front runners, that way the guards can save face, step back with what pride we still have and let these savage barbaric hens make asses of themselves in the process.”

Checkers wanted to groan, how stupid could they get, even by that logic, saving face was the last thing ponies would think the guard where doing, what could inspire less confidence in a pony than knowing their guards were happy to push their very safety onto somepony else, because it was too hard. He had to set this right.

Aright Checkers, you’ve talked bigger idiots out of worse situations, talk slowly and with fewer syllables, hopefully his little brain will comprehend you.

“Sir with respect,” Checkers began, ignoring the scoff of his captain, “we don’t have any leads in this investigation, other than this creature.”

“Which we can have back once the griffons are done with her, besides we still have that recent mare attack, out in the outskirts, we seem to be overlooking the fact that she survived as well.”

Checkers winced at the thought, when the griffons were done with her? He didn’t know too much about griffons, not many ponies did despite being an allied nation, they were famously, or infamously secretive, depending on the pony you asked.

Griffons might have been famous for their hospitality among welcomed guests, but he had a feeling the creature wouldn’t count among those welcomed at all, and if they started to suspect, as Checkers might have, that this creature knew more than she was letting on about the Ripper…

There might not be much left of the creature to question.

Checkers noticed the Captain looking down at his watch, not a good sign, fine guess it’s time to simply come right out with it, too late to go back now, he already dislikes me anyway.

“Sir the other mare is a dead end, she can barely answer the door to our guards without having a heart attack, she barely leaves her cottage, except to feed her animals and with respect sir, you don’t know this creature like I do, she’s weary of us.” He said, stepping forward to meet the Captain eye to eye.

“I had to go out of my way to establish a connection with her through a proxy, just to get her to relax her guard, but if you sever that, she’s likely to calm up and then we’ll never get anything out of her.”

The Captain looked down at his watch frowning slightly, eyebrow raised, “so you’re not even hiding the fact that you put a civilian with no training in with an unknown creature without my consent?”

should I be shocked, the dunce is missing the point of this, or choosing to wilfully ignore it anyway.

Checkers simply nodded, what was he supposed to do, look penitent, beg for forgiveness? Too late for that now, better to ask for forgiveness than permission sure, but that only really worked if you had something to back it up, right now, he still had nothing.

The Captain grimaced, as if the mere sight of Checkers was making him physically unwell, “I’d almost call that bravery if it wasn’t so stupid to admit that to me, but I'd rather see what the superiors at Canterlot have to say about this,” he said shoving the watch back into his jacket before turning to leave. “It’s too late now anyway, move aside lieutenant, as far as I remember I was the captain here!”

A real captain shouldn’t have to say he’s the Captain. Checkers thought bitterly, but somehow managed to bite his tongue and instead swallowed his words.

“So what now then?” Checkers asked.

“Now I suggest you start packing, find a nice spot around this hayseed town, get drunk, get a mare and pass out in a gutter for all I care, so long as you’re on a train back to Canterlot by this time tomorrow after that, you shall be awaiting a meeting, I’m sure the board of administration’s can’t wait to hear you’re excuses on why you failed this time.”

He smiled, “I for one, am looking forward to what else you’ll come up with, you don’t have our majesty’s niece to save your plot from the fire this time.” he snarled, disgust plain on his face as he all but shoved Checkers out of the way and slammed the door behind him with a flick of his horn.

Checkers stared into the empty room, legs shaking with rage and despair as he almost drunkenly walked over towards his desk.

Don’t do it, you’re in control, remember her breathing exercises, stay in control don't do-. But his massive hooves splintered the cheap chipboard of his desk in two before he could even finish telling himself not to.

Checkers exhaled into a sigh after a moment, when had it all gone so wrong, and why did it only seem to go that way after things started to go right?

It was as if life was a pathway lined with carpets and every time he stepped on one, it let him get to the end before it was pulled out from under him, and he stupidly always thought the next one would be different.

Wasn’t that the very definition of insanity? If it wasn’t, it seemed pretty close to it.

He looked down at his desk, or what remained of it, and knew he should clean it up. It was unprofessional, a senior member of the guard didn’t let emotions govern his actions, but what was the point, it wasn’t like he was going to be a guard much longer anyway.

His eyes scanned the carnage of the splintered desk, his mind working to put order where there wasn’t any.

Thirteen scrolls.

Sixteen paperclips.

Two pots of ink, smashed and leaking.

One Quill, bent in half.

One desk...also halved.

Six pens.... Six pens?

Why were there six pens, oh right he had given Rainbow one a few hours ago, that mare seemed perpetually unready for life, things came and went on the breeze and she rolled with it, he supposed that was the beauty of having wings.

He blinked, looked down again, he had given Rainbow the pencil, but she hadn’t come back with it. Why, every other time she had, but not this time, what could she have done with…

His eyes widened as he looked down at the scroll that Rainbow had returned with, the only thing she had returned with, who had the pencil last, Rainbow had said she had given it to her, right when the creature was panicking most, right before she had tipped the table.

It wasn’t a prank was it, you were genuinely scared, she was scared, she wanted to leave.

Checkers turned around, making his way to the door when he stopped, a thought came to his mind.

Why not let her?

The thought made him finch, he had to stop her, of course he did, after all she was if nothing else a lead in a horrific murder spree.

Until tomorrow morning, then she’s the griffon's lead.

Checkers stayed still for a long moment, his eyes darting in thought as he outweighed all the possibilities he could think of until, finally, a smile split his face into something not quite resembling a grin, and his hoof left the door handle.

That’s it, that’s the old Checkers, as Night Light would call it, no princess or pink ponies to get in the way. Now we can do this the proper way, do this the right way. The darker voice in his head chuckled.

He was right of course, it was not his concern anymore, no pony was going to listen if Checkers just kept pounding at the door with his head.

But if just let somepony else open the door?

The ghost of a smirk appeared onto his face, as he thought about all the possibilities all the hypotheticals all the scenarios, each more interesting, beneficial and potentially disastrous than the last, until that smirk became a full grown smile.

Might as well do as the Captain said, He thought, that's what a good guard does, follow his superiors orders, and Checkers was a royal guard to his bones.

Though he probably would not be indulging in mares and gutters. There was only one mare that filled his life, and she was not here anymore, and he had been in the gutters far too often these days.

But the idea of a drink, something he had scorned most of his life, suddenly seemed rather appealing all of a sudden. After all, what's the point of seeing where this loaded firework was about to explode without a refreshing drink to truly enjoy the disaster that was about to commence, the big bang as it were.

He was thinking.... Brandy maybe? He did always want to see what all the fuss was about after all.

After all the night was young, and tomorrow would prove to be very interesting indeed.


Night Light watched as much as she could stomach of all of this, grimacing at her superior officer prostrating himself in front of the old Captain. She sat watching the spittle sail a few stories downwards towards the concrete somewhere in the abyss below her.

Tonight was different from the other nights she had stayed around the hospital, because tonight her blood was up and the moon was in full bloom.

It was night outside just how she liked it, she was in her element tonight, the moon was shining brightly, her Bogini was out in all her glory, shining her true light on the world, the way her people viewed it.

Not these weak willed beings that ruled the day. She had had such respect for Checkers, at one time or another, almost thought about him as a brother in arms. Maybe somewhere inside of her, she thought of him as more than that, he had been more like her kind back in those days, more ruthless and cold and cunning.

And then the pink mare had changed him.

She spat again, lifting herself with her wings away from the windowsill, the wind touched her fur, her real fur, not the costume and she felt alive. It was unnaturally cold for this season, for this time of year, but that was how she liked it.

Night Light had heard enough, the time for talk was long over, the time for action had been a long time coming.

“Should have done this on the first day.” She muttered to herself in her mother tongue as she flew away from the room and into the night, gliding on her wings across the hospital grounds to the very room that housed the monster.

Tonight she would get her answers, tonight she would have her fun, finally, what did it matter as the Captain implied, the griffons would have her soon, she would already be damaged goods.

She smiled as she reached up and pulled away her glasses, she wouldn’t be needing them tonight, for once she could finally go all out, finally be what she was, and guilt free too.

After all, these kinds of things always required a monster to slay another monster, that was why they had hired her after all. They never actually said those words, they never needed to, she could see it in their eyes.

Every last one of them, they all said the same thing, Moon Chaser, Star stalker, cave vermin. All of them with disgust twinkling behind those smiling eyes as they begrudgingly hoofed her the armour of their own kind to her.

If it wasn't for the sun princess placating, trite laws, they would still be hunting her kind in the streets with lynch ropes and pitch folks.

He had been different, he never gave you that look, not once. A part of her spoke, and she wanted to hiss out her anger. Yes he had been different, Now Checkers was just as bad as the rest of them, worse even, he was weak.

She perched herself up against the window, the creature's window, she made a move to enter, then paused and flattened herself against the wall.

“There, happy now, can you please just eat something already? I have a lot of other ponies who actually want their food.” a mare's voice called out as the window opened up. Night Light held her breath, then glanced in, it was a nurse, she was talking to the creature, who was still smiling that irritating, false, viper smile of hers.

A predator pretending to be prey. she sympathised with that for once, but only for a moment.

Night Light waited for the moment to strike, waited for the nurse to leave the room, leaving Night Light and her new little play thing with time alone to get… better acquainted. But as she waited out the window, she noticed the strange markings, claw marks had been dragged across the wooden frames of the outside window frames, cut into them like butter, dragging down to the stone below them.

Night Light blinked, looking at the damage to not only wood, but stone and metal, all of it cut in the same stroke, or bent with such force that she could make out the individual knuckle marks of each finger. The sight made her pause, and sent a chill up her spine, what beast could have done that, without making a noise!?

She looked back again at the creature inside, still smiling, still lying backwards on the bed, lying like a kitten, defenceless and weak, on her back with belly exposed for all to see how submissive she was.

But it had claws, the marks alone on the windowsill were proof of that.

Perhaps Checkers was right, perhaps she was far more than we thought she might have been. She considered that for a moment, the ramifications of it all, what they where housing, what was below them as they slept only a stone's throw away from them.

But what did it matter now. She would find the answers she needed tonight, because tonight her blood was up and the moon was in full bloom, and really, she hadn’t had fun in a long time.

She waited as long as she could, until her body and soul could take no more, until the latent magic within her was at its strongest, as long as she needed until the night reached into the twilight of the dawn.

Then she pushed the window open fully and slipped inside.