• Published 4th Sep 2012
  • 18,888 Views, 393 Comments

Sugar Games - Nitrox



Celestia and Cadance have fun at Luna's expense

  • ...
26
 393
 18,888

Chapter 2: The Plot Thickens

As Cadance’s giggling at the sight of the sugar coated night mare began to wane, she couldn’t help but notice something odd in the air...

It was cold.

Not in the sense that somepony had left a window open. Rather, it felt as if all the heat was rapidly being sucked out of the train car. Within moments small puffs of air could be seen escaping hers and Celestia’s noses as Cadance began to shiver slightly. Likewise, as the heat was drained from the air, so too was the light. In fact, all of existence seemed to simply be vanishing before her eyes.

“C-C-Celestia,” Cadance stammered out, unsure whether it was the cold or her fear that caused it, “what’s h-happening?”

The younger princess’ fear only increased as she realized that she could not even hear her own voice. She felt as if she were trapped in a void; no light, no sound, just existence. Cadance cried out in fear and desperation with all her might, hoping beyond hope that she could somehow reach her surrogate aunts and return from whatever plane of existence she had been sent to.

Just as she felt her resolve wavering, a sudden wave of warmth and life filled her once more. Moments later, her other senses rushed back to her en force, revealing a missing princess of the night and Princess Celestia with a hoof over her face.

“Umm, Celestia? Pardon my language, but what the BUCK just happened?”

For her part, the solar princess gave a slight sigh as her hoof dragged down her face before casting a tired glance at the younger alicorn. “That, dear Cadance, was Princess Luna with her tail in a twist. I swear she can be so melodramatic at times.”

Cadance gave a small shudder, her eyes locked on the rapidly dimming horizon. As the sun’s rays reflected off the layer of clouds that obscured most of the sky, Cadance realized that night would soon be upon them. It was sure to be a dark night indeed.

“I should probably go apologize to her,” Celestia said as she lifted herself from the plush accommodations, prompting Cadance to do the same. “You should get some sleep, Cadance. You’ve got a very busy couple of weeks ahead of you.”

Princess Cadance responded with a loud yawn, which prompted a soft giggle from Celestia. With a slight blush adorning her cheeks, Cadance inclined her head to her elder in lieu of a proper bow. “Too true, Celestia. Have a good night, sweet dreams.”

“To you as well, my dear,” She said with a soft smile before stepping out into the main hallway of the train car, closing the door behind her. Out of the corner of her eye, she spied a pair of her royal guards stationed at the door leading to the next car. They were silent as always, though noticeably more on edge than usual. Celestia simply gave a sigh and made her way towards the train car’s showers.

‘And she wonders why I don’t let her start holding her own court yet’

As she reached the proper compartment, Celestia gave a few short knocks before calling through the door. “Luna, it’s me. Can we talk?”

“BEGONE, CELESTIA! WE HAVE NO WORDS FOR THEE!” The royal canterlot voice causing the train to rattle. Celestia winced at the use of her full name. It was only in moments of real duress or urgency that Luna called Celestia by her full name when they were alone; she had to admit, it stung.

“Please, Luna. I...”

Before she could say anything more the door was slammed open, revealing a dripping and still somewhat sugar coated Luna. The night mare’s fury was almost palpable as she stared down her older sibling. In place of the normally gentle billowing, Luna’s astral mane tossed and whipped behind her as if she were staring into the heart of a tempest. Her eyes narrowed to slits, barely concealing the now draconic shape of her pupils.

“Dost thou truly think that we would parlay with thee after thine actions? Begone I say!” The door sliding out of its place in the wall, only to slam and lock once more in Celestia’s face.

Heaving a sigh, Celestia turned and made her way back towards her quarters. ‘Perhaps she’ll be more reasonable in the morning. There’s just no talking to her when she’s like this.’

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Of all the horrible, low-down, under-handed, conniving, dishonorable tactics a pony could stoop to! Attacking a pony while they're sleeping?! Even thy personal guards of old would give a pony the courtesy of facing their demise!’

Princess Luna sat in the showers, hooves in her mane, furiously scrubbing to remove all traces of the sugary treats while silently fuming at her sister and that cohort of hers, Cadance. After an hour of ‘lather, rinse, repeat’-ing, the princess of the night was finally able to detect neither sight nor smell of the confectionaries that she had been the victim of. Ever since her sister had introduced her to those baked rings of dough, she had held distaste for them. They were too sweet for her palate. The smell alone caused her to cringe and subconsciously locate the nearest source of insulin she could get her hooves on...just in case.

“Thank Sweet Faust that nightmare is over with,” She said softly with a sigh as she cast a spell on herself. In a matter of moments, all the water in her coat and mane evaporated, leaving her warm and a fog of steam to billow out of the washroom as she departed. Luna cast her gaze across the mostly empty train car, her draconic eyes falling on her guards. Giving a small start at the piercing gaze of the night mare, the stallions quickly saluted their regent, holding the pose until she vanished into her private quarters.

As Luna took to the bench her own quarters provided, she let out a heavy sigh and looked out the window to see her recently raised moon. Noting with a scowl the heavy cloud cover, the princess ignited her horn and cleared a patch of clouds that allowed the soft rays of moonlight to fill her room. Luna allowed a small smile to cross her features as she proceeded to fill a wine glass with her favorite marelot, taking a sip as she levitated a book in front of her.

“This whole week has just been one long nightmare. At least we can finally relax and enjoy thy glorious nights once more.” The glass came to her lips once more. “If it weren’t for that perky little third-icorn, this whole nightmare would have never happened.” Her mood properly soured, Luna tossed the book across the room and onto her bed before draining her glass. As she moved to refill said glass, a thought crossed the princess’ mind that brought a wicked grin to her lips.

“Why should we be the only one to suffer a nightmare on this Faust-damned journey...”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the guards held their post in the hallway of the royal train car, they soon noticed an almost luminescent dark haze seeping from under Princess Luna’s chamber door and moving down the hall across the floor towards those of the remaining princesses. Nudging his partner with an elbow, the guard on the right addressed his fellow soldier as quietly as he could.

“Hey, Honor Bound, your cousin still working as a bouncer at that club?”

“I think so, Razor Edge. Why do you ask?”

“Think he could set me up with an interview?”