• Published 3rd Apr 2021
  • 533 Views, 23 Comments

20-04 - MellowSoul

  • ...
 23
 533

Shades

Author's Note:

Last serious chapter before we get back to the comedy. I actually wrote the first story from Spike's comics. It's a short story called Birthday Girl. I have it saved to my computer if you guys want to read it. Just PM me your email.

Days passed without a word from Twilight or Spike. Applejack's concern grew rapidly after Apple Bloom opened up about her conversation with the dragon. Wednesday the following week, Applejack went to check up on her friends.

"Rarity? What are you doin' here?"

"Twilight called me the other day. Spike doesn't seem to be faring well. She mentioned something about a conversation with your sister."

"They were talkin' about our parents. Guess it got the little fella down."

"I see. I suppose it's difficult to think about under your circumstances."

"He was tryin' to comfort her, but I could tell somethin' wasn't right."

"Perhaps I can be of some assistance."

"Yeah?"

"I'm sure you've noticed the tension between Spike and I."

"That's puttin' it mildly. I was worried I'd have to beat ya back with a stick."

"Come, now. I have better self-control than that."

"What'd you have in mind?"

"I wish to motivate him with the promise of a date, provided he fulfills certain conditions."

"Conditions?"

"Yes. It just so happens I need help reorganizing the boutique this weekend."

"Well, that's one. What about the other?"

"Finishing his comics."

"I don't know if it'll work. Kinda hard to motivate somebody when they're this low."

"It will."

"How do ya know?"

"Just a feeling."

"No harm in tryin', I guess."

"Together?"

Appkejack nodded.


Rarity rang the doorbell. Twilight answered. The Alicorn's expression changed from concern to relief in the blink of an eye.

"It's good to see you guys."

"Mind if we come in?" Applejack inquired.

"We've been waiting for you."

Applejack and Rarity stared at each other. Neither of them had told Twilight they were coming.

"I'll explain everything." the elder Sparkled assured.

Rarity and Applejack stepped inside. The familiar sounds of aggressive rock music echoed through the walls. They followed Twilight to the bedroom.


Twilight opened the door to see Spike sitting on the bed. His features were stoic, but he was relieved to see Rarity and Applejack. He held out two thin books, each neatly bound together to form a cohesive story.

"I already finished them." he stated nonchalantly.

"I don't understand." Rarity replied.

"I was born with the power of precognition," Twilight interjected, "I can see the future."

"Well pull my tail and call me Sally..." Applejack uttered.

"You knew we were coming?" Rarity questioned.

Twilight nodded.

"Here," Spike offered, "You wanted to read them, right? I was gonna show them to Rainbow first, but I knew you were eager for me to get back to work."

Rarity levitated the sheets of paper. She opened the first issue and began reading.

"So...Does it work like The Shinin' or somethin'?" Applejack asked.

"Mine's a little more accurate," Twilight revealed, "Thankfully, I haven't seen any ghosts yet."

"I know what you're gonna ask. You're wonderin' if we wanna know our futures, right?"

"Do you?"

"Not really."

"Maybe this will put your mind at ease: the future's not set in stone. My visions change depending on our actions."

"That's somethin' at least."

"Come on. I'll make us something to drink while Spike and Rarity talk things out."


Rarity took her time reading through each issue. The overarching story followed three humans: Maria Drake, her brother Brandon, and their young friend, Emily Joseph. The general themes revolved around injustice, mortality, and idealism.

"I think I understand you better now." Rarity said.

"Do you like it?"

"I do."

"Makes ya wonder, doesn't it: why things feel so wrong sometimes."

"Applejack told me what happened. I'm sorry about your parents."

"Now you know why Twilight had me talk to Apple Bloom. She was more inclined to listen to someone else in her predicament."

"You're kind-hearted. I knew that the moment I first laid eyes on you."

"Like Twilight said, we came here to help people and live out the rest of our days in peace."

"I understand. I feel the same way. I try to be generous when the opportunity presents itself."

"You want me to help you clean up around the boutique, right?"

"Yes. It shouldn't take more than a few hours."

"I gotcha. Where do you wanna go when we're done?"

"There's an amusement park a few hours away. Perhaps we could make arrangements for a day out?"

"Sounds like a plan."

"If you're ever feeling downhearted, come and find me. I'll help you however I can."

Rarity embraced Spike in a tight hug. He returned the gesture. From the depths of their cores, a new level of emotion welled up inside them...