• Published 9th Apr 2021
  • 3,218 Views, 26 Comments

Meet The Sparkles - Lets Do This



Twilight's parents invite her to dinner... and get all her new friends as well. And they discover first-hoof what a unique group of ponies the Advanced Projects group is...

  • ...
5
 26
 3,218

Meet the Sparkles

It had seemed a simple enough plan: take an afternoon break from their studies, and go for ice-cream at the sweet shop like they often did. But as the Advanced Projects group trotted along Diamond Avenue in Canterlot, surrounded by a small escort of Guard ponies, they began having second thoughts.

"It's just like after the Sun Celebration..." Starlight whispered.

"Everypony's looking at us," Moondancer agreed.

"Well..." said Sunset Shimmer, "we did save Canterlot -- again."

"With more than a little help from Princess Celestia," Twilight reminded them. "But you're right. They're all staring at us..."

"At you," Trixie said, a little sourly. "Acting Princess Twilight."

"Well, I'm no better than any of us. We're a team, right?"

"But you brought us together, Twilight," said Sunset. "We wouldn't be a team if it wasn't for you."

"I suppose," she allowed. "But now that we are together, we're all in this together."

"You said it!" Cheese Sandwich pumped a hoof. "All for one, and one for all!"

Tempest rolled her eyes. "And with six, you get eggroll." Then she looked at Twilight. "If the crowds get too annoying, just let me know. I'll have the Guard clear us some space."

Twilight shook her head. "We can't do that, Tempest. We're the Heroes of Equestria. Or at least, that's how everypony sees us. We need to be there for them, reassure and encourage them. It's what Princess Celestia asked of us."

Tempest eyed her, concerned. Then nodded. "All right. But if it does look crowded when we get there and we need to find a table, let me do the talking..."

But there was no need. When the group trotted into the sweet shop they found their usual table by the window waiting for them, unoccupied. One of the counter-ponies was standing right there, ready to take their order, and she brought everything back in a trice.

And the patrons crowding the other tables in the shop all stared, smiling and excited.

"I feel like we're about to be ambushed," Starlight whispered. "Except... they're so nice about it."

"Just act casual," Sunset quietly advised. "We came for a break, a little down-time. So, let's enjoy it."

Yet they'd only started in on their ice cream when Twilight felt a presence at her elbow. Turning, she found a white-coated, apricot-maned filly smiling nervously up at her. The filly curtsied, then grinned awkwardly. "Princess Twilight?" she asked, "may I have your autograph?"

"Um..."

"Gold Leaf," her mother said, hurrying over. "Don't you bother them, now! I'm so sorry about this, Miss Sparkle."

"It's okay," Twilight said. "She's... not a bother."

"Look!" The filly said, holding up a large plush toy. "I made you!"

Twilight goggled, staring at the purple-and-blue horror. It looked like a unicorn toy that had been dipped in lavender paint and then attacked with six different shades of purple, blue, and red permanent markers. And there was something disturbingly familiar about the shape...

"Is that... Princess Celestia?" Twilight said, in a strangled tone.

"It's you!" Gold Leaf crowed. "See? You're my favorite Princess and I really wanted a toy of you and they didn't have any at the store so I made one! All by myself!"

"Ah..." Twilight fought for words. "It's... very creative..." She tore off her wings, Twilight thought, unable to keep from staring at the bits of fluff poking out from the restitched seams in the toy's sides.

Gold Leaf's mother shrugged helplessly. "She's a very determined little girl. I can't take my eye off her for a second."

"Yeah, no doubt about that," Sunset put in. "She looks a lot like me when I was her age. She'll definitely go places." Then Sunset put a hoof on Twilight's shoulder. "Go on, Twilight," she added softly. "One autograph won't hurt anything."

Getting control of herself, Twilight nodded, and took the filly's offered autograph book. But that just opened up the floodgates. As Twilight's quill darted across the page, she saw a crowd of eager children edging closer.

Tempest rose from her seat, looking ready to order them back. But Twilight quietly shook her head. "Heroes of Equestria," she said softly.

The Commander hesitated, scowling. And then turned to the waiting crowds.

"All right," she said. "If we're going to do this, it'll be in an orderly fashion, understood? I want to see a single line, right here --" She gestured curtly with a hoof. "And no pushing or cutting... or it gets ugly. You read me, fillies and colts?"

Wide-eyed, the children nodded. They quickly got in line, under Tempest's stern, unforgiving gaze. And Twilight's ice-cream melted in her bowl while she signed her name, again and again.

As she did so, she couldn't help but notice most of the waiting children wanted only her signature, not those of her friends. She paused to glance around at the table, concerned.

"I hope you all know," she said, "I'm signing these for all of us, okay?"

Starlight nodded. "Don't sweat it, Twilight. You're the face of the group. We get that."

The others nodded readily enough. Still, they couldn't really enjoy their ice-cream either, not while Twilight was so distracted trying to give a smile and a kind word to every child who trotted up to her.

Eventually Tempest decided it had gone on long enough. She rapped an armored hoof sharply. "Sorry, everypony," she said briskly, "but there's somewhere important we need to be right now. Another time, perhaps?"

"Aww..." The waiting ponies looked disappointed, but they willingly made room as Twilight and her friends got up and headed out again, back up the Avenue towards their tower.

The group trotted along in silence. And of the seven of them, none was quieter than Twilight. She trotted straight ahead, head lowered, almost unseeing. The others glanced at each other worriedly. They had a pretty good idea how she felt, but weren't at all sure what to say about it...

------------------------------

When they got back to the top-floor room in the Advanced Projects tower, Twilight disappeared into the comforting solace of the book stacks. And the other ponies gathered around the worktable.

"As a break from work," Trixie grumbled, "that was a bust."

"Yeah," Sunset said. "I only thought we were famous before. This is unbelievable."

Spike trotted out from the stacks, and hopped up onto the table. "I think Twi's all right. She's got her nose stuck in a book on royal etiquette, or something like that."

"That's good," Moondancer agreed. "A book's the cure for what ails you." She glanced around at the others. "What? It always works for me..."

Tempest grunted darkly. "I know she wants us to be there for ponies," she muttered. "But there have to be boundaries. She shouldn't have to let them crowd her like that."

"She's been able to deal with the attention before," Starlight said. "I wonder what's eating her now?"

"Maybe it was her mother's invitation?" Spike said -- and then he quickly slapped a claw over his mouth, looking guilty.

"Uh... what invitation was that, Spike?" Sunset asked, eyeing him narrowly.

Spike's shoulders slumped. "Aw, geez! I wasn't supposed to say anything." He stared around at them hopefully, then reluctantly gave in. "Well... her folks invited her to dinner."

"And?" Starlight said. "What else?"

"Nothing," Spike said, shrugging. "That's it. Just a quick family get-together, seeing as how they haven't seen her in a while."

"Oh." Starlight shook her head. "I must be missing something, Spike. Why's she so bothered by something like that?"

"Because," Twilight said, trotting out from the book stacks, "it's not fair to all of you." She looked uncomfortable. "Me going to visit my folks, and leaving you all here? The rest of you aren't able to go spend an evening with your families -- except maybe you, Moondancer, since they're local."

"Twilight, it's no big deal!" Sunset said. "You deserve some time with your folks. I mean, you're always here for us. And we're grown ponies. We can manage on our own for one evening."

Twilight came over and sat down at the table, looking downcast. "I know that, Sunset."

"So... what's this really about?" Starlight cautiously asked.

Twilight shrugged. "Well," she said, looking around at them. "I wish all of you could come along. If there's one thing I've accomplished at Celestia's School, it's making such good friends. I'm kind of proud of that. I'd like my folks to get to know you better, all of you. I'm sure they'll ask me about you, and I'm not sure I can do you all justice if you're not there."

"Well, then," Sunset suggested, "why not ask them if we can come along? Seriously, Twilight! What have you got to lose?"

"But... all nine of us? I can't impose on them like that. What if they said no?"

Sunset shrugged. "Then they say no. And we can live with that. But you'll have tried, which will make you feel better."

"And if they say yes..." Cheese Sandwich slapped on a clown-hat and a pair of googly-eyed glasses. "Then we get to come along and embarrass the heck out of you. Win-win, I say!"

Twilight's mouth quirked. Then she sniggered. And then laughed aloud. "Now that," she said, calming down, "I would like to see. All right, Spike, take a letter."

"You got it, Twi!" He picked up quill and scroll-paper from the table's caddy.

"And thanks, everypony," Twilight added. "I'm not sure what I'd do without you."

As Twilight dictated and Spike scribbled away, Trixie eyed Twilight suspiciously.

"Is that really all that was bothering you?"

"Uhh... no," Twilight admitted. Then she paused, glancing about at them all. "Did you see that filly's doll? What she did to Princess Celestia?"

Starlight nodded, making a face. "It was pretty awful, wasn't it? I have no idea how you managed to keep your cool, Twilight!"

Twilight looked shell-shocked. "She drew... on Princess Celestia... with markers..."

Sunset eyed her, amusedly. "Didn't you tell me once that Princess Celestia let you draw on her with markers?" (*)

Twilight frowned at her.

"I was very young at the time," she said sternly. "And the Princess was very understanding..."

"All done, Twilight!" Spike held up the finished scroll.

"Good," Twilight said. "Now send it. Before I have second thoughts..."

------------------------------

Night Light looked up from reading the financial news, and chuckled. "You're doing it again, hon."

"Uh, doing what?" Twilight Velvet looked round from the end table where she'd been gently nudging a vase back and forth with a hoof.

"Adjusting things. Whenever you're worried about a social event going off without a hitch, you start micro-managing the knick-knacks."

"Well..." Velvet brushed at her purple-and-white bangs with a hoof, then realized what she was doing and stopped. "It's not every day Twilight comes home for a visit. And with all her friends... the Heroes of Equestria. Wow! I get goosebumps just saying it. And I'm her mother!"

"Don't have to tell me." The slate-blue stallion chuckled. "Our little filly's done all right for herself. And if I can claim to have had anything to do with that at all, I can die a happy pony. But relax, honey! It's just Twilight. You'd think Princess Celestia herself was coming to visit."

"Well, Celestia has declared Twilight an 'Acting Princess'," Velvet reminded him. "Though I have to say I'm still not sure what that means."

"I'm not sure anypony does. But I'm sure when Twilight figures it out, she'll let us know."

Further conversation was forestalled by the front door opening. Through it trotted a blue-maned stallion wearing impeccably polished gold-and-purple Guard armor. "Hey, Mom! Dad!"

"Shiny!" Velvet hurried over to give him a hug. "You're home early!"

"Yeah, I wasn't gonna miss this." Shining Armor shrugged. "And the boss said I could knock off early, seeing it was an important family occasion and all."

"Uh, the boss?" Night Light asked, with a knowing smile.

Shining Armor returned it. "Yep! She and the rest of them should be right behind me."

"Will your fiancé be joining us, too?" Velvet asked hopefully.

Shining Armor shook his head. "Some kind of state function at the Palace, so she sends her regrets. Seriously, Mom, Cadance specifically told me to say she'd much rather be here this evening."

"Oh gee, that's a shame!" Velvet gave him a sympathetic smile. "Well, it's good you're here at least. We'd feel a little outnumbered otherwise."

A few minutes later, there was a polite but authoritative knock at the door. The kind of knock that made it clear doors were but a barely tolerated formality.

"Oh, I'll get it!" Velvet glanced in a mirror to make sure she was presentable. "I can't wait to see my dear little..."

Velvet's magic swept open the door and she looked out... at a wall of iron-black barding. Swiveling her gaze upwards, she found herself facing Commander Tempest Shadow. The maroon, broken-horned unicorn loomed in the doorway, glancing about at the interior of the house, stern and suspicious.

Then she realized what she was doing, and winced. "I'm so sorry, Ms. Velvet. Force of habit..."

Tempest stepped back out of the way, allowing the lavender, blue-maned unicorn behind her to charge forward, throwing her forehooves around Velvet and hugging her tightly. "Mom!"

"Twilight! Aww, there's my little inspirational luminary!"

"Huh? What?" Twilight gave her a puzzled look.

Night Light stifled a smile, as he came over to be hugged as well. "Hey, Button! You know, your mother was up all night in front of the mirror, trying out different endearing phrases to greet you with? My little filly, my little scholar, my little princess..."

"Oh honey, don't exaggerate!" Velvet rolled her eyes. "It was only... half the night, at most."

Night Light nodded. "She was looking for something loving yet respectful, something that would say how proud we are of what you've accomplished, but also remind you how much we love you." He shrugged. "I said we should just tell you straight out. But she insisted!"

"I just want you to feel properly welcomed," Velvet said. "You and all your friends. Wow, there are so many of you!" She stared at the procession of guests waiting behind Twilight. Then she looked up at Tempest Shadow again. "And this must be the redoubtable Commander Tempest!" Snapping to attention, Velvet saluted, as seriously as she could manage.

Tempest looked embarrassed. "There's no need for formality, Ms. Velvet. And certainly no need to salute."

"Oh, don't be silly! In this house, we understand how important rank is. You should have seen Shining Armor when he made Lieutenant, let alone Captain of the Royal Guard -- he was so proud! And we were proud for him, because we could see how much it meant to him."

"Well... at least he earned his rank," Tempest said. "There's a difference."

"Now hang on a minute!" Shining Armor objected. He put a hoof around his mother's shoulders, and nodded at Tempest. "Mom, other ponies talk about bravery, being willing to put their lives on the line. This pony literally went hoof-to-hoof with Nightmare Moon, just to keep Twilight safe."

"And got my clock cleaned," Tempest added dourly. "It's not one of my prouder moments. It was a diversion, that's all. And like usual, somepony didn't take the hint." She glared pointedly at Twilight.

"All I'm saying," Shining Armor went on, "is you've got nothing to prove, Tempest. To me or anypony else. You've more than earned that rank. Most of the Guard feel the same way -- they'd follow your lead in a heartbeat."

"Thanks," Tempest said, with an uneasy smile.

"Come on into the living room, Button." Night Light waved a hoof, then turned to lead the way. "And let your mother meet the rest of the crew."

"Spike!" Velvet cried, as the baby dragon trotted up to her. "How's the best assistant dragon in all Equestria?"

"Hey, Mom! Well, technically, I'm the only assistant dragon in Equestria," Spike observed. "But I'm doing just great, thanks!"

"Good to hear. Oh, and I've got something for you." With her magic Velvet brought over a bright-red gemstone, and popped it into Spike's eager claws.

"Woah!" Spike marveled. "A ruby, my favorite!" He immediately gnawed a hunk out of it. "Mmmm... aged to perfection!"

"And who's your little friend here?"

"Oh! This is Grubber." Spike patted the white-maned hedgehog on the back. "He's Tempest's assistant. He's kinda her version of me."

Grubber was hunched, tapping his paws together nervously, unaccustomed to being on his best behavior.

"Um... hi?"

"Why hello, Grubber!" Velvet smiled at him. "And I'll bet you do just a good a job of assisting as Spike does."

"Eh, I try." Grubber shrugged bashfully. "Spike taught me everything I know about the job."

"Hmmm..." Velvet said thoughtfully. "I was baking a batch of cupcakes earlier. Would you like to try one?"

Her magic floated a cupcake out from the kitchen, and dropped it into Grubber's startled paws. He stared at the pink frosting and sprinkles, then looked up at her, a wide, bear-trap grin on his face. "Wow, thanks! You're my kind of family, Miz Sparkle!"

He and Spike headed on into the living room. And the lavender, purple-maned pony behind them shook her head, smiling. "How long have you been a den-mother, Ms. Velvet?"

"Oh, it was just a hunch!" Velvet smiled. "That little guy and Spike have a lot in common. A kind word and a snack, and they feel right at home. And you must be Starlight Glimmer!"

"Yep, that's me." Starlight agreed. And then she waited patiently as Velvet eyed her closely.

"Nope," Velvet finally said, "I just don't see it. They say you and Twilight look alike, but there's hardly any resemblance..."

Starlight rolled her eyes. "Nice try. And thanks for the effort, but I'm not buying it. Twilight and I are so much alike it's scary! Like, some days I'll find myself talking to the mirror, thinking it's her."

"Well... at least I tried." Velvet smiled understandingly. "But I do hear you're quite the expert on magic, dear."

"Yeah, not to brag but I am kind of a natural," Starlight said. "Though it's mostly on a practical level. I'm a dabbler, really, and Twilight can still run rings around me. I know how to put spells together in a hurry. But she seems to know instinctively what magic should be used for."

The cyan, white-maned pony beside her feigned weariness.

"Ah! Such is the way with we artistes!" She gestured loftily with a hoof. "We know just the right trick for any occasion." So saying, she flourished the hoof, and produced a bouquet of flowers from nowhere. "Voila!" she said, offering them to Velvet.

"Oh my!" Velvet said as she took them. "And this can only be the Great and Powerful Trixie! Am I right?"

Trixie blinked in surprise, a smile stealing onto her face. "You've heard of Trixie?"

"Of course, my dear! Everypony's heard of Trixie Luna Moon, the greatest stage magician in all Equestria."

Trixie's mouth fell open. Then she beamed happily.

"Eeeyeah..." Starlight murmured. "Being one of the Heroes of Equestria might have something to do with that."

"Oh, nonsense, dear!" Velvet replied. "Whenever I talk with ponies who've seen one of your shows, Trixie... well, they always say that it's an unforgettable experience, that's for sure."

"Wow! Thanks!" Trixie gave Starlight a smirk and then, at her gentle prodding, marched onwards into the living room, swaggering proudly.

"And... now you're her friend for life," said the flame-maned pony who came forward next. "I'm Sunset Shimmer. How do you do, Ms. Velvet?"

"Sunset!" Velvet said. "Oh, it's so good to meet you, dear. I've heard so much about you."

"You mean, from Twilight?"

"From Princess Celestia!" Velvet shook her head in amazement. "Whenever Night Light and I go for our parent-teacher conference -- and you know, I still can't get over that? A private audience with the Princess? Oh my word!" She put a hoof to her heart, looking faint. "Anyways, I sometimes wonder if I've booked the right day, because she'll mention in passing how proud she is of you, Sunset. She thinks the world of you, you know."

"Oh..." Sunset smiled, in a misty-eyed kind of way. "That's... real nice of her." Then she pulled herself together and gestured at the beige, red-maned pony beside her. "And this is Moondancer."

"Hi, Ms. Velvet," Moondancer whispered, nodding hesitantly.

"Hello, Moondancer! Oh, you look like a voracious reader if ever I saw one. What's your favorite book, honey?"

Moondancer blinked, startled. And then smiled. "You mean, this week? Well... I have been reading this really thorough compendium on pony languages and writing systems..." Seeing Velvet's encouraging nod, she went on. "You see, it's kind of amazing how many similarities there are between old Ponish phrasing and the use of runes in monuments dating from mythic times. It's like the words stay essentially the same, and we just find new ways of writing them. At least, that's true for pony languages -- I still need to look into Griffon and Buffalo scripts for comparison. Well..." She shrugged self-consciously. "I just thought it might be helpful to us, me learning more about that."

"It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job, dear."

Sunset put a hoof around Moondancer's shoulders. "Moondancer's our unofficial librarian and archivist. Plus she's really good at keeping us honest whenever we're playing Word Tiles or trivia games."

Moondancer shrugged. "I just know a lot of random stuff," she said. "Some of it's even useful, now and again." Smiling sheepishly, she trotted onward into the living room.

And Sunset Shimmer paused to eye Velvet knowingly. "You're really good with geeks like us, ma'am, if you don't mind me saying so."

Velvet shrugged. "Having raised a bookworm of my own, I know how to get the conversation going. You just get them talking about something they like, and then try to keep up. Sometimes I even manage it, too!"

Sunset smiled, and passed on. And the final pony trotted forward, bowing politely.

"Cheese Sandwich, ma'am! Party pony extraordinaire, at your service!" Producing his accordion, the curly-maned pony sang, softly and pleasantly:

Oh, I came to you
To brighten your day
To lift up your spirits
Just any old way

And you showed me how
I had it all wrong
In the simplest of ways
It didn't take long

So now when I plan parties
I won't get them wrong
And that's why I'm here
Singing this sonnnng...

Cheese took a short bow, then came up grinning. "What did you think? Too schmaltzy? I was going for pleasantly endearing, but I'm not sure I have it quite right."

Velvet looked at Night Light, who'd trotted back over to join her. "Why don't you ever serenade me like that?"

He shrugged. "For two reasons, hon. One, because I could hit a sour note on a triangle. And two, because I honestly had no idea you liked that sort of thing." He smiled at Cheese. "Any chance we could hire you for next Mother's Day?"

Cheese swung a hoof. "Already got you in the book, Mister Velvet!"

Night Light looked surprised. "How'd you know I go by my wife's name?"

The party-pony tapped his head. "The ol' cheesy-sense, sir. It never steers me wrong."

Velvet stared at her husband, amazed. "What's wrong with Mister Light, I'd like to know?"

Night Light wrinkled his snout. "It makes me sound like a diet beverage."

The two of them laughed at that. And Cheese nodded proudly.

"There's my smiles! I'm a happy party-pony!" Grinning at them both, Cheese ambled onwards into the living room, playing a lively tune on his accordion.

And the two parents eyed each other.

"You think we're ready for this, hon?"

Velvet shrugged. "If we're not, it's too late now!"

------------------------------

Twilight's mother had planned an early dinner, not knowing the group's schedule, and whether they might have to suddenly run off and deal with some emergency or other. But she still wasn't quite sure she could pull it off easily -- not with so many guests to manage.

"You all keep talking," she told the group after a bit, "I'll just go set the table for us."

Which was just lighting the fuse. "Oh, hey! We'll help," said Starlight.

"Oh no, dear," Velvet protested. "That's all right. I can manage."

"No way!" Sunset declared. "Helping out is our gig. Am I right, gang?"

The others nodded in agreement. And the entire group got up from their seats and swiftly descended upon the kitchen, gathering placemats, silverware, and dishes. While Tempest and Sunset worked on adding the extra leaves to the table, Starlight and Trixie and Moondancer took care of mats, tableware and glasses. Twilight looked after seating arrangements, and locating things in the kitchen when the others needed them. And Cheese Sandwich stood off to the side, improvising a sprightly chase tune as an accompaniment to the mayhem.

Spike and Grubber toted in the extra seating cushions from the box-room, setting them around the low dining table. And then Spike bounded up onto the table, and lit the candles with his flame breath.

They were done in record time. And they would have gladly gone on to help serve dinner as well, but Velvet put her hoof down, ordering them all to be seated. She brought out the salad and side dishes, then went to get the vegetable casseroles she'd baked.

And came back to an orderly production line. Serving plates were being swiftly passed hoof to hoof, with everypony quickly and efficiently serving themselves.

Seeing there was nothing else to be done, Velvet sat down at her end of the table, and Night Light at his. And they all said a quick prayer of thanks to the Princesses for the meal.

"Well!" Velvet declared when that was finished. "I've wondered what it's like for my cousins in Manehattan, having such a large family. But if it's this easy, I feel like I've really been missing out on something."

Sunset shrugged. "We're used to doing for ourselves at Celestia's School," she said. "And spreading the work around gets it all done faster. Everypony works, nopony shirks. That's our motto."

Starlight grinned at that. "Sunset's sort of our coach, Ms. Velvet. She helps us stay focused, and makes sure we don't get stuck on problems we can't solve right away."

Sunset shrugged. "It's just the discipline I applied to myself as Celestia's student. But I do help to manage things, so Twilight here doesn't have to deal with it all."

"That's just being modest," Trixie sneered. "Sunset doesn't let us get away with anything -- believe me, I've tried!"

"And the Commander here," Night Light said, nodding toward Tempest, "she clearly keeps you all safe. I wouldn't want to run into her in a dark alley!"

Tempest looked uncomfortable at that, but nodded at the implied compliment.

"Tempest's in charge in a crisis," Twilight said. "She gets us out of immediate danger and somewhere safe, so we can decide what to do next."

"Oh..." Velvet looked concerned. Then she brightened up quickly. "And Starlight, Trixie," she asked, "what about you two?"

"Well," Starlight said, waving a hoof, "we're kind of the magic specialists of the team. I handle thaumic magic, and Trixie does stage magic: illusions, sleight of hoof, that kind of thing. Plus she's really good at details, reading crowds, spotting when something's not quite right."

Trixie shrugged. "It comes with the trade. Since I deal in illusion myself, I'm most qualified to tell when it's being used on us." As she spoke, the showpony reached a hoof behind Starlight's ear and pulled out a fork. "Tsk, tsk," she said. "Can't take you anywhere, bestie!"

"And Moondancer..." Velvet went on. "Oh, I remember! You're the group's librarian and head researcher."

Moondancer smiled at that, blushing a little.

"And Cheese?" Night Light asked, "what do you do?"

"Oh, just whatever's needed." The party pony shrugged. "I help out, whenever the gang needs an extra hoof."

"Don't be silly!" Twilight said, smiling at him. "Dad, Cheese here is kind of our bard and jester -- and cheerleader. He helps keep our spirits up, so we're thinking clearly, and can be honest with ourselves and with each other."

"Plus, he's our ace in the hole, sort of," Starlight pointed out. "When we have the Field powered up we've got crazy awesome power, but we're also kinda locked into it. Cheese is our pony on the ground. He can take care of things when we can't."

Cheese nodded proudly. "Whatever you need, gals, I'm there for you. And I plan parties, too! So when the job's done and it's time to kick back and chill out, there's always a kick-rump party, ready and waiting."

"And," Twilight said, "Cheese always seems to add just that little bit extra, right when it's needed. We're real lucky to have him around."

"That sounds wonderful, honey," Velvet said. "But hey, wait a minute!" she added, looking round the table. "What about Twilight, huh?"

"Oh, Twilight's got the toughest job," Sunset said, then paused to try to figure out how to put it. "She's... kind of our moral compass, really. I mean, the rest of us know how to do things -- or if not, we can figure out how. But Twilight's in charge of deciding what we should do, and why."

Twilight rolled her eyes. "I rarely ever have to decide anything," she said. "This group pretty much manages itself."

"That's just because you set the tone so well." Sunset grinned and looked to Velvet. "We just ask ourselves, what would Twilight think? And the answer's usually pretty obvious."

"Thanks," Twilight replied. "But it's also true that we're all committed to making this group work. It's our job, after all, the one Celestia gave us: to set an example for everypony, and be there for them, helping the Princess keep everypony safe."

Velvet shook her head, amazed.

"Wow... you know, it's so amazing to me, all of us sitting here just talking about this, like it's nothing at all. But you girls put yourselves at such huge risk! It gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it. Now," she added, waving a hoof, "I know this is what the Princess asked of you. And I know you're all up to it, or she wouldn't have asked. I'm not going to be some kind of overprotective mother, telling you not to do what you're obviously so good at. But... I do hope you all take care of yourselves, keep each other safe?"

"Goes double for me, Button!" Night Light smiled at Twilight. "As proud as your mother and I are, well... we do worry about you, sometimes."

"You don't have to worry, Mr. Velvet," Sunset assured him. "We look out for each other -- especially for Twilight. She brought us together, after all. And we're a team! All for one, one for all -- that's the way we do things. Right, Twilight?"

"Absolutely!" Twilight agreed, smiling.

After that, conversation roamed on for a bit, covering in equal parts events at the School and what had been going on with Velvet and Night Light's life, in and around the neighborhood.

Then somehow the topic came round to parents -- in particular, to Twilight's.

"I think she's real fortunate," Moondancer said, "having such a wonderful Mom and Dad. It sounds like you two really brought Twilight up right."

"Oh, honey!" Velvet said. "We did our best, or tried to. But really, our little bright button here... she was always too busy reading and learning to get into any mischief."

"Except," Shining Armor said with a grin, "when she fell asleep in the public library at closing time. And then I had to go and lug her home, mumbling in her sleep about some fascinating thing she'd just read."

"Shiny!" Twilight said scornfully. "I wasn't that bad."

"Hey, true story, sis!" He shrugged helplessly. "But I never minded. It's how I got my exercise every day."

"What about your parents, Moondancer?" Velvet asked.

"Oh! They live over in Middle Canterlot." Moondancer shrugged. "I don't know if you've met them? Moon Light, and Dusty Pages?"

"Mmmm... can't say I have, dear," Velvet admitted. "Though with a name like Moon Light, am I right in assuming..."

Moondancer nodded. "She's a Moon pony like me. It's where I get my mark from." She gestured to the Moon and Stars on her flank. "And that's... made life difficult for me, to say the least..."

"Hey, I'm no stranger to that!" Night Light pointed to the nested pair of moons making up his own mark. "Funny thing though, I never really got ribbed about it, growing up. Probably because the Moon mark is supposed to be matrilineal. I guess I'm the exception that proves the rule, huh?"

He grinned at Moondancer, and she smiled back, looking a little less self-conscious.

"Just between us," said Velvet, "we joke that he's the Moon, and I'm the Stars." She pointed to her own three-star mark. "And I guess it means I'm technically a Moon pony myself, aren't I? Having married into the clan?"

Moondancer tilted her head, thinking about it. "I'm... not sure that's quite how it works. But I'd be more than happy to have you as family, both of you. I think you're really nice!"

"What about you, Sunset?" Velvet asked.

Sunset shrugged, embarrassed. "My folks moved to Fillydelphia, not long after I... uh... ran off through Star Swirl's mirror. I've written to them, and they've written back, so they know I've returned. But... I haven't taken time to go see them yet."

"Why not, Sunset? I'm sure they must have missed you terribly."

"Well... that's the thing." Sunset rubbed her shoulder with a hoof. "See, I think Princess Celestia managed to keep quiet why I was gone so long. And I'm not looking forward to having to tell them myself." Then she nodded to herself, firmly. "But you're right, Ms. Velvet. I should go visit them -- I owe them that much."

"If it'd help, Sunset?" Twilight offered. "Any of us would be glad to go with you, for moral support."

"Thanks, Twilight!"

"Okay, me next?" Starlight asked. "Well, my dad is... okay. But he's gotten really clingy. He keeps treating me like a little filly. I mean, he's nice about it and I know he cares but... sometimes it can just get a bit much, you know?" Pressing her hooves to her cheeks and rolling them around, she made a face. "Aw gee, honey bunch! Daddy's just so pwoud of his little punky wunkin! Bleah!" Dropping the act, Starlight rolled her eyes. "Trust me, it gets worse from there. So... let's just say that as much as I love Dad, I'm kind of okay with being here, rather than there."

"Oh, that's a shame," Velvet said. "And uh... what about your mom, dear?"

Starlight looked saddened. "She left us, a while back. I don't even really remember her all that much. For the longest time, it's just been Dad and me. Still, what little I do remember... uh..."

She fell silent, looking conflicted. And Velvet looked across at Night Light.

"You know..." she said, "there was that cousin of mine, who got fed up with Canterlot society and decided to move down to the plains. She never did seem to feel at home anyplace. I always did wonder where she ended up."

Starlight stared at her. "No way! You think she might have been..."

"Oh, I don't think so, my dear," Velvet said quickly, shaking her head. "It was just a passing thought. Still... it would explain why you and Twilight look so much alike, wouldn't it?"

Starlight eyed Twilight speculatively. And then grinned. "How's it going, maybe-cousin?"

Twilight smiled back. "I did say I wouldn't mind if we were related, didn't I?"

Trixie was looking quietly sad. "For me," she said, "it was the other way 'round. My dad left when I was little. And my mom... I didn't know her all that well. And it... kind of went downhill from there..." She cleared her throat, and drew herself up proudly. "But Trixie does her best to not dwell on the past... it's just..."

And she suddenly clamped her mouth shut and shut her eyes tight, her face screwed up in silent misery.

Worried, Starlight put a comforting hoof around her.

"That's all right, dear," Velvet told her. "We didn't mean to..."

"No, it's okay," Trixie said, holding up a hoof. "It's just... well, there was just one pony who made Trixie feel she was wanted and loved when she was little. And now... well, she's gone..."

"I'm so sorry, my dear."

Trixie nodded. "You're not the only one," she said quietly.

"Hmph," Tempest said softly, "at least you knew your parents. In the town I came from, I was always that weird filly they found under a rock someplace. Nopony knew where I came from! They said I just wandered into town one morning, out of the blue." She shrugged. "Still, I had a place to live, and friends. For a while..." She grimaced crossly, and then shook her head. "Well, that's the past. And I don't live there anymore. I have friends here now... even family, of a sort." She smiled at Twilight, who smiled back.

"And Cheese?" Velvet looked at him. "I'm almost afraid to ask now, but..."

"Oh, my folks are fine, Ms. Velvet!" Cheese waved a hoof, grinning. "They live in Manehattan. I write to them, telling them about the parties I throw, the ponies I cheer up. And I think they're proud of what I do, even if they don't always understand it. I'm their prodigal son, but as near as I can tell they're okay with me following my calling like this."

"That's good to hear!" Velvet said, relieved. "Well now, everypony! I really didn't mean to dredge up a lot of old memories like this. If everyone's finished, what say we move on to dessert?"

The group nodded, relieved.

"And then..." Velvet looked beseechingly at Twilight. "Well, honey, I know you have your studies and all, but... if you don't have to rush off right away, why not stay over? You and all your friends! I'm sure we can find space to put you all up for the night."

"Well... sure! That'd be great!" Twilight said. Then she glanced around. "I mean I'd like to. I don't mean to speak for anypony else..."

"Don't be silly, Twilight!" Sunset said. "There's nowhere else we have to be, and it'd be fun! That is, if your folks don't mind putting up the whole army for the night."

"Not a bit," Night Light said. "Glad to have you all. But where are we going to put them all, hon?"

"Oh, well," Velvet said, "Twilight has her old room, of course. And Spike, we have your old basket if that still suits you. And there's the guest room in back... and the sofa in the living room, and the fold-out couch in the den..."

"We'll figure it out," Sunset said confidently. "We're used to bunking together, at the tower at the School."

Tempest looked at Shining Armor. "You wouldn't happen to have an old camp-cot, or something like that?"

"I should," he said. "Up in the attic somewhere."

"Good. I can set that up in Twilight's room. I just... feel better being somewhere I can keep an eye on her, you know? And as for you..." she added, frowning at Grubber.

He shrugged. "Eh, gimme a couple blankets and a pillow, I can make do. Or better yet, ya got a cardboard box or something, Ms. Velvet?"

"Seriously?" Velvet asked. "That doesn't sound very comfortable."

"Hey, I'm a hedgehog!" he said matter-of-factly. "I always sleep better with a box or barrel around me. Feels like a burrow."

"Well," Night Light said, chuckling, "I tell you what, we'll have a look in the box room later. And you can have your pick. I mean, nopony can say we don't provide quality accommodations for our guests!"

The group laughed at that, feeling a little more at ease again.

But as Velvet looked around, she could sense there was still a subtle brittleness in the air.

And it worried her...

------------------------------

Later that evening, Twilight Sparkle was tucked up snugly in her old bed, in her old room, with Spike resting in his basket next to the bed and with Tempest Shadow, in full armor, lying on an old folding cot beside the door.

But resting comfortably? No... that wasn't happening.

Eventually Twilight gave it up and sat up with a sigh, looking around at the familiar darkened room.

"What's wrong, Twi?" Spike asked, peering up at her.

"I don't know, Spike," she said. "I should feel right at home -- because I am home! But for some reason I don't. It just feels a little... lonely in here."

"You've got us," Tempest said with her eyes still shut. Then she lifted her head to eye Twilight, and gestured with a hoof to the crate lying on its side, where Grubber was snoring away, wrapped up in his blankets.

"And I'm glad," Twilight agreed. "But I guess I've just gotten used to it being a little, well... noisier at night. You know, Starlight's smothered snoring... Trixie muttering stage patter every now and then. Even Moondancer, reciting Dewey decimal numbers in her sleep. That's comforting in itself. I can tell just where she is, in the library in her dreams..."

Tempest smirked.

"Only you would find that comforting, Twilight..."

"Well, maybe. And I suppose I'm just being silly," Twilight shrugged. "I mean, I can't expect all of you to hang around me all the time, just to keep me company. Spike, maybe," she added, putting a hoof around the dragon when he hopped up on the bed to sit by her. "We've been together pretty much his whole life."

"Darn straight!" Spike said, pumping a claw. "I do have my Dragon Code of Honor to uphold, ya know."

"But the rest of you," Twilight went on, "you should be free to live your own lives. We're a team, yes, because Princess Celestia asked us to be. But that doesn't mean we have to be a team all the time." She sighed. "I am being silly about this," she said, finally. "I'm probably the only one awake right now, worrying about it..."

There was a quiet tapping at the door. When Tempest got up and opened it, they found Moondancer peering in, with Sunset right behind her. "Twilight?" the beige pony grimaced. "I hope we not disturbing you, but, well..."

"It's just too quiet in that guest room," Sunset said. "I keep hearing things! Little things, like the radiator clicking, or the walls creaking, or the wind outside. It's impossible to get to sleep."

"Same here," Moondancer said. "I mean, I keep trying to count books, like I sometimes do. And I keep getting past three thousand, which isn't a good sign. Would it be all right if we just stayed in here tonight? Just for the company?"

"Sure!" Twilight said. Then she glanced around. "But... I don't have a spare bed to offer you."

"Oh, that's no problem," Sunset said. "We'll just borrow the mattress and blankets from the guest-room bed, and bring them in here. I just hope we don't wake your folks. Wouldn't want them thinking we're wrecking the house or something..."

She fell silent at the sound of voices coming from the hallway: tense, arguing voices.

"-- but it's not Trixie's fault! It's a very intricate and difficult routine..."

"I know!" Starlight snapped. "You've been over it at least a dozen times. Seriously, Trixie, I think I'm going to end up learning the routine myself just by osmosis!"

The two of them fell silent, seeing the others there. "Oh, sugar," Starlight said. "I hope we weren't keeping all of you up. But Trixie and I, well... we just can't get to sleep."

"And it isn't the accommodations," Trixie added hastily. "The fold-out couch is comfortable enough. But if I'd known we were going to stay over, I'd have brought my hoof-trap to keep me from talking in my sleep." She gestured with her forehooves. "It's the only thing that really works."

"And I tried wrapping a towel around my face, to keep me from snoring." Starlight shook her head. "I can't get it tied right. It keeps coming loose."

"Couldn't we make a hoof-trap?" Moondancer said. "I read something about it once. All we need is something stiff and braidable, like construction paper. Or bamboo for preference, if we have it."

"There might still be something in my old arts-and-crafts cupboard," Twilight said, pointing. "Mom always kept it well-stocked for whenever I came across a project in one of my books that I wanted to try."

"I'll have a look, Twi!" Spike jumped down from the bed and moved to pull open the cupboard.

"And a towel won't really do the trick, Starlight," said Sunset. "A large kerchief would be better, since it'll be lighter and will fit more snugly. I can lend a horn, getting it tied right."

The ponies all set to work, and in short order they had not one but two mattresses with pillows and blankets spread out on the floor -- because Trixie and Starlight, having heard about the impromptu slumber party, wanted in as well.

Tempest surveyed the room full of ponies, snorting in amusement.

"We all settled, then?" she asked. "Everypony comfy now?"

Twilight looked thoughtful. "Not everypony..."

------------------------------

In the living room, Cheese Sandwich was lying awake, tucked up under a blanket on the sofa. He had his accordion in his hooves, and was gently playing a soothing lullaby to himself.

Which didn't seem to be doing him much good.

"Are you awake, too, Cheese?" Twilight asked, trotting over.

"Oh hey, Twilight!" Cheese said brightly. "Just... going over some party plans in my head, making sure I've got everything I need..."

Then he sighed.

"Well, truth be told, it is kind of lonely out here, by myself. I'm a party-pony, so naturally I like being where other ponies are."

"We're all gathered in my room," Twilight said. "You want to come join us?"

Cheese looked uncertain. "If you're sure it'd be all right? Wouldn't want your folks to get the wrong idea about me. It's... kind of why I've been on my best behavior all evening. I don't want them thinking I'm up to any kind of mischief with you gals."

"Seriously?" Twilight smirked. "With Tempest Shadow as chaperone? If you actually think you can get any mischief past her you should tell her about it. She'd want to know, so she can keep us all safe."

Cheese nodded at that, and sat up, looking uncommonly sad. He was silent for a while.

"I'm a party-pony, Twilight," he finally said. "All I want -- all I've ever wanted -- is to make ponies happy. To see them smiling, and comfortable with themselves, and able to face the world with confidence." He shook his head. "But the one thing, the one thing, a party-pony can't afford to lose is reputation: the trust of those around him. It lets him go bananas, without anypony worrying he has any unpleasant motives."

He grimaced, and gently worked the accordion, making it sigh softly. "I have a cousin. He's not a party-pony like me, though he was a bit of a wise-acre. He loved to crack jokes, just for the fun of seeing ponies laugh. Well, somepony must have taken offense at one, because suddenly a rumor got started that he'd been involved in some kind of unsavory business -- I won't dignify the rumor by repeating it. But from that point on, nopony laughed at his jokes anymore. They no longer felt they could trust him."

And now Cheese's eyes were damp. It was as close to crying as Twilight had ever seen him. "And it just killed him inside, Twilight! I could see it. He wasn't the same pony afterward. He couldn't be funny anymore, couldn't just be himself anymore. And all it took was one disgruntled and vindictive pony, one vicious accusation, to destroy all his dreams."

He looked up at her, and smiled gently. "Twilight, I give you my word, all I want is to make ponies smile. Because when they're happy, then I'm happy. And if I can help you gals in the process, help you be the heroes you all are, then that's what I want to do. And if I need to do that from the sidelines, just so there's never any question, never any doubt that's what I'm here for... then I'm okay with that."

Twilight smiled, and put a hoof on his, stopping the accordion's sighing. "Cheese, I trust you. And that should be good enough for anypony. You're part of this group, too, and you should never feel like you have to exclude yourself. Because we can all vouch for you. It's like Sunset says, we look after each other. All for one, one for all -- that includes party ponies!"

Cheese grinned. "Thanks, Twilight! You know, Sunset was right? You are the one who brought all of us together. And we're all fortunate to have met you."

"Thanks!" Twilight grinned sheepishly. "Now, c'mon, I've got a room full of wide-awake ponies and we could use a lullaby to help us get to sleep. Would you mind?"

Cheese brandished his accordion. "Not a bit!"

------------------------------

Some time later, Velvet woke up, and stared around at the darkened room. Out of motherly instinct, she got out of bed and trotted around to check on her guests. To her increasing concern, she found the guest room, the den, the living room, all empty and abandoned.

Then she checked Twilight's room. And found them all there. Twilight was dozing comfortably on her bed. Spike was in his basket, Tempest was on her cot and Grubber in his crate. The other ponies were there too, tucked up on mattresses on the floor. The lone exception was Cheese Sandwich, who was swinging gently in a makeshift hammock hanging from the ceiling, his accordion dangling from one forehoof.

And all of them were sound asleep, totally at ease.

Velvet smiled at them, pleased at how comfortable they all seemed together. Yet as she went back to bed herself, she still felt a little uncertain, still felt there was something not quite right.

And she still couldn't put her hoof on it yet...

------------------------------

In the morning, Twilight's parents awoke to the welcome aroma of pancakes and coffee.

Trotting downstairs, they found the entire group was up already, and hard at work in the kitchen. Spike was standing on a stool by the stove minding the griddle, and calling out suggestions over his shoulder to Starlight and Trixie, who were making a fresh batch of batter.

"Not so much sugar, Starlight," he said. "Or they brown too quick. And don't forget the vanilla!"

"Aye, aye, cap'n!" Starlight replied, picking up the vanilla bottle in her magic.

"Slave-driver," Trixie muttered. The two of them giggled together.

Sunset was at the cutting board, slicing fruit. Moondancer was by the toaster, buttering muffins. Tempest was minding the coffee pot, while arranging mugs on a tray with her hooves. And Twilight and Cheese Sandwich had just finished setting the table.

"Hi, Mom! Dad!" Twilight called.

"Morning, Twilight!" Velvet stared around, marvelling at all the activity. "Well, I see you all get an early jump on the day."

Twilight shrugged. "Tempest is usually up first, to check the guards. But it doesn't take long for the rest of us to be up and about as well. We're a pretty active bunch."

"Last one to the breakfast table has to take notes for the day," Sunset called, though with a smile to show she was joking. "And I hope you don't mind us raiding the larder like this, Ms. Velvet. We figured we'd make breakfast for you, by way of saying thanks for having us over."

"Oh, not a bit, Sunset! It's very thoughtful of you. Um, where's Shiny?"

"There's some kind of formal Guard review," Tempest said. "Later this morning. So he had to leave early to prepare. He asked me to be there too, just for the look of the thing, though he did say nopony would hold it against me if I was fashionably late..."

"And," Twilight added, glancing around significantly, "we need to get cracking on that report about our latest independent study project. We are still students, after all. And Princess Celestia waits for nopony!"

"She waited for Princess Luna," Trixie said quietly, a saddened look on her face.

The ponies fell silent, nodding thoughtfully.

"That she did..." Night Light finally said. "A thousand years. It's hard to believe, but we saw it happen. And it was thanks to all of you."

"Well, then," Velvet said. "Let's all sit down and eat, and then get the rest of you on your way too."

After breakfast the group formed an assembly line to wash and dry the dishes. And then they lined up at the front door, with Tempest in the lead as usual, then Twilight, then Spike and Grubber, Starlight and Trixie, Sunset and Moondancer, and Cheese Sandwich bringing up the rear. Nodding and smiling and bidding farewells, the group trooped out through the door and headed up the avenue, chatting and laughing together, escorted by a small contingent of Guard ponies.

And Velvet watched them go with a small sigh.

"What's the matter, hon?" Night Light said, gently rubbing her shoulder. "Didn't it go as you'd hoped?"

"Oh, better than I'd hoped!" Velvet said. "You know, when Princess Celestia invited Twilight to attend her School, I hoped she'd finally coax Twilight out of the books, get Twilight to meet some other ponies, make a few friends. And that's just what she did. Eight of the very best friends a young lady could have. We don't have to worry about her being a lonely, bookish little filly anymore."

"Then... why the long face, huh?"

Velvet looked conflicted.

"Because I'm still not sure. Each of those ponies," she said, "has her own kind of private pain. Which they bury by being so dedicated to the group."

Night Light nodded. "Yeah, I noticed. Sunset was right, Twilight brought them all together. And they're able to stand so tall now because they're able to lean on each other for support."

"Exactly!" Velvet said. "It's like a house of cards, and Twilight's right in the middle of it. They all depend on her. And they're the Heroes of Equestria now, which means they're pretty much isolated from everypony else. They only have each other to rely on."

Night Light considered it. And then shrugged. "They're tough, and resourceful. You see how well they work together. They can manage. And Twilight helps all of them. That's kind of her special talent -- friendship. She's found a way that they can all survive and thrive together. And that means you can I can feel pretty darn proud, hon. We brought our little girl up right."

"But did we?" Velvet asked, finally putting her hoof on what had been bothering her. "Each of those girls has her own kind of pain, her own quiet misery. So what if the same is true for Twilight?" She stared at Night Light, worried. "What if there's something we missed? Something we just couldn't see?"

Night Light didn't have an answer for that. The two of them turned to watch the disappearing group of ponies.

And Velvet hoped it wouldn't be too long before Twilight would come to visit again.

The End

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, its characters and indicia are the property of Hasbro.
No infringement is intended. This story is a work of fan fiction, written by fans for fans of the series.

Comments ( 26 )

Meet Twi Sparkle,
Her bro, Shiny,
Mama Twilight,
Night, her dad!

(I wanted to do a Flintstones parody instead, but I couldn't get past the second line.)

RDT

Hmm, I would have thought Grubber would get a bit more dinner conversation. All of them are familiar with Spike, sure, but Night Light and Twilight Velvet would not be familiar with Grubber.

Yet another good story with the Advanced Projects group!

10762727
A fellow Jetsons fan, eh?

What about (don't say I didn't warn you...):

Sparkles
Meet the Sparkles
They're the well-known Advanced Projects Team

From the
Royal City
They're an AU off the canon stream

Let's ride
With the team into the fray
They'll make
Harmony 'twixt Night and Day

When you're
With the Sparkles
They'll make everything all right with...
Light up the sky with...
Their Field of Har-mo-nyyyy...

(Cheese Sandwich made me do it. Put down that chainsaw...)
:twilightsmile:

10762815
You saw how nervous he was when he walked in the door. I can only imagine what Tempest threatened to do to him if he got out of line...
:twilightsmile:

10762821
Bravissimo, that's a lot better than I would have come up with!

Honestly, credit for the idea goes to Chuggaaconroy. Enjoy.

Dan

So none of them have tried snuggling up to the only guy in the group at night (in their sleep or otherwise) yet, and instead default to dreaming about books and magic as usual?

Admirable dedication to the job. Or they're all asexual/don't swing that way, which is fine. Or the "season" hasn't hit yet.

Velvet stared at her husband, amazed. "What's wrong with Mister Light, I'd like to know?"

Night Light wrinkled his snout. "It makes me sound like a diet beverage."

As opposed to aging chess?

And my mom... I didn't know her all that well. And it... kind of went downhill from there...

I really need to reread Trixie's debuting story now.

"No, it's okay," Trixie said, holding up a hoof. "It's just... well, there was just one pony who made Trixie feel she was wanted and loved when she was little. And now... well, she's gone..."

"I'm so sorry, my dear."

Trixie nodded. "You're not the only one," she said quietly.

Yup, still heartbreakingly sad. Even more potent since we know exactly who she's talking about but they don't.

"Exactly!" Velvet said. "It's like a house of cards, and Twilight's right in the middle of it. They all depend on her. And they're the Heroes of Equestria now, which means they're pretty much isolated from everypony else. They only have each other to rely on."

The foreshadowing of some schism in the group later down the line perhaps?

10762821
Yeah I was getting serious Flintstones vibes at one point in this story. Can't remember the exact moment that set it off though. "Button" as a nickname made me think of "Coraline" though so it's not like I need a lot to go on.

Nice slice-of-life :)

"Then... why the long face, huh?"

oi!

"But did we?" Velvet asked, finally putting her hoof on what had been bothering her. "Each of those girls has her own kind of pain, her own quiet misery. So what if the same is true for Twilight?" She stared at Night Light, worried. "What if there's something we missed? Something we just couldn't see?"

Apparently it's that you passed down a propensity for unwarranted-but-it-turns-out-really-warranted self-doubt.

God, I love this AU. What an awesome entry to this! Also... that foreshadowing is killing me. Now I half expect Twilight to breakdown and all of a sudden the friend group dissolves into factions! Oh God- DISCORD PUT DOWN THE GUN.

Excellent work on the exchanges, characterizations, general wrap-up and future story set-up in this one-shot, Definitely understood the discussion concerning their latest adventure as well as the frustrations of the stuff with the crowd of fans. Also enjoyed Twilight introducing her friends to her parents (with the obvious exception of Spike, who already knows Twilight's parents quite well).

All in all, quite an enjoyable post-big-adventure slice-of-life with some great foreshadowing.

Please, author, please have Tempest and Twilight get together. I feel so much romantic tension between the two, it hurts. It hurts so much.

10764905
Thanks for commenting! And just checking, have you read First of Many yet? That might have what you're looking for.
:twilightsmile:

10764679
Thanks much, Comickook -- yes, this was intentionally a quieter, slice-of-life kind of story, as a break between the larger drumbeats in this series. And it's great to hear that it works well for you.
:twilightsmile:

10764968
Oh thank you lord

10764648
Thanks so much! It's great to hear that it works so well for you, given it's more of a "serious" in-character series, as opposed to parody one-shots. As always, we aims to please!
:twilightsmile:

This was really good! Great job with this, seems like there's a looming foreshadowing in Velvet's words though

10764988
... when is twilight’s Kirin Ancestry being brought up?

10764648
Or consider the alternative - Twilight breaks down and nothing else bad happens, because it turns out she didn't bring anything to the group after all and everything everyone said this story is a hollow platitude.

10765639
Ah. That's one alternative I guess lmao.

Even missed two, what is wrong with me?

Velvet stared at her husband, amazed. "What's wrong with Mister Light, I'd like to know?"

Almost sounds like someone from a video game, if you ask me.

Night Light wrinkled his snout. "It makes me sound like a diet beverage."

...Or that.

10762938
Ah, a fellow Chugga fan, eh?

10778368
Hey, RuBoo -- and thanks for reading. It's always nice to see a regular stop by!
:twilightsmile:

10763276
Oh, Lord...

The horrors that poor Cheese Sandwich would go through!!

THE HORRORS!! THE HORRORS!!

"Then... why the long face, huh?"


You’re ponies, you all have long faces.

10763276
It is also possible that Cheese is simply too slick for them to catch. Notice how, when all of them were on the floor, he deployed a hammock and stayed on the ceiling. After that discussion in the Livingroom it makes sense that he would stay nearby but well out of reach, and likely vacate entirely when they go into season.

Login or register to comment